111 Grovewood Road Ste. 8
Asheville, NC 28804Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://grovewoodcafe.com/
- Phone: (828) 258-8956
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:30pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Southern
- Executive Chef: Larry Waldrop
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant consists of a front and back dining room. The front room comfortably seats up to 40 and the back can seat up to 60. We welcome any inquiries and regularly accommodate rehearsal dinners, bridal luncheons, presentations and any other event where you need a facility to host a crowd.
- Private Party Contact: Larry Waldrop 8282588956
A word from Grovewood Cafe
Located adjacent to the historic Grove Park Inn and nestled in an enclave of shops and museums, The Grovewood Cafe offers the finest in regional and continental cuisine. The Grovewood Cafe has served up delicious Southern recipes in the mountains of Western North Carolina for over 17 years. Fresh salads, homemade soups and flavorful seasonally changing dishes showcase both the talents of the chef and the remarkable locally available produce and meats. We offer vegetarian dishes and also have a children"s menu for our youngest guests. We offer both indoor dining and a seasonal outdoor patio. We would love to see you for your special occasions, every day lunch or dinner, and welcome large parties and banquets. We offer all variety of spirits and we are sure that we can find the proper libation to whet your whistle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Grovewood Cafe - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Grovewood Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)great for outdoor dining (22)special occasion (22)romantic (20)great for lunch (19)fit for foodies (15)good for groups (13)scenic view (11)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (8)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Grovewood Cafe deserves to thriveDavidDined on 11/23/2014My wife and I had dinner at Grovewoood Cafe last Sunday evening, and we both had excellent meals. My pork chop was one of the best I've had, and Elizabeth's chicken was likewise outstanding: moist and flavorful. The staff were friendly and helpful, and, other than a gentleman at a nearby table who was loudly describing a bridge game in excruciating detail, the Cafe was quiet. In other words, conversation was possible (something not universally true of many restaurants). The Cafe itself is lodged in a wonderful old building near the Grove Park Inn (but not related to it), and the interior has been tastefully updated. Not showy, but pleasant. The Cafe has a patio for outside dining in warmer weather, and we'll definitely return for that experience. Indeed, we'll make the Grovewood Cafe one of our regulars. We hope the Grovewood thrives. It deserves a wider audience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningTWC2VIPDined on 11/9/2014It was a quite Sunday night. Only a few diners so we had the undivided attention of the server. She was so very sweet and attentive. Food was absolutely wonderful. Hot, tasty, plated nicely. Not overly "frufru" but simple elegance. Millie's macncheese is not to be passed up. Go back on the diet tomorrow!Special Features:
- The StaffGENTLEMANDined on 11/8/2014My Lady Friend And I Was Treated Good With Excellent Service food The Only Thing We Found Wrong Was The Amount Of Food We Received was Not Enough For The Price We Paid For Our Dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!FoodiePrincessDined on 11/1/2014I'm a foodie and I loved everything I tried there! I went with a small group and was able to sample many items. The fried green tomatoes were one of the best I've had. The veggie plate, grouper cakes and seafood platter were all delicious! If you're staying in Asheville, you must visit! The location is in a very quaint area with specialty shops and galleries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better this timeSiouxBlue42VIPDined on 10/31/2014This was my third visit. Lunch twice and this dinner. Lunch was good but seemed pricey for the food. Our dinner was delicious and seemed more reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Great birthday meal!educator4kidsDined on 10/25/2014I wanted to treat my husband to a special birthday meal, and this did not disappoint! He enjoyed everything and even got a yummy birthday dessert on-the-house! The service was incredible, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againWildBoyVIPDined on 10/25/2014Had friends come in for birthday weekend. Wanted some where we could eat outside, this was the worst choice. Our service was ridiculously slow, misleading and expensive. Ordered a filet, the daily special when it came out it was beef stew. Everyone elses food was small serving and mediocre at best. The filet was a special that wasnt available that day. Our bills were all wrong and it took 50 mins to get them corrected. Our brunch took a total of 2.5 hrs.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Very disappointed in this dining experience. Made reservations for lunch as I planned to be visiting the adjacent wonderful grovewood gallery that morning. Waited over 30 minutes for a salad that was frankly pitiful. Would never go back to this restaurant with so many wonderful eateries in the asheville area.
- DixiebelleDined on 10/20/2014A special place to bring out of town guests for lunch. Inside or outside dining with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only the shadow knows.....ILUVASHEVILLEDined on 10/9/2014The Grovewood Cafe sits in the shadow of its more renowned neighbor, the Grove Park Inn. BUT..... That's just its proximity: in every other way but the literal, the Grove Park Inn is in the shadow of the Grovewood Cafe. Here the atmosphere is intimate; there it is grand and sometimes grandiose. Here at the Grovewood Cafe the food ranges from very good to excellent; there, not so much. Here the prices are reasonable; there, not so much. Here we bring our out-of-town guests; there, not so much. Do yourselves a favor: dine at the Grovewood Cafe. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tlb023VIPDined on 9/4/2014I was so excited to try the fried green tomatoes, but they were soggy and the red pepper coulis was bland. Very dissapointing, especially for $10.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceAVLnativeDined on 9/1/2014Food was great, service was great with a quaint outdoor atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemLuvgoodfoodDined on 8/22/2014Quiet & charming place tucked behind Grove Park Inn. At the risk of making a favorite place busier, this place really deserves to be discovered. They have a small and changing menu, good wines, friendly service & indoor or patio dining. A delightful little find!Special Features:
- Perfect little spotSusanDined on 8/22/2014My husband & I had an early dinner at the Grovewood Cafe after visiting the antique car museum & art gallery just behind the cafe. We had a romantic outside dining spot on the upper deck all to ourselves. My husband had the buffalo flank steak & I had the grilled chicken, both were wonderful! The blackberry cobbler (more like a bread pudding) was delicious. Hubby had coconut cake which he loved. It was the perfect spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Seasonal VeggiestlmamaDined on 8/7/2014We had a wonderful meal. The veggies were prepared to perfection and they offered a wide variety. Corn pudding was the highlight, perfectly creamy and seasoned. The pork chop was grilled and served with a decadent demi glace that had great flavor. Chilled Blueberry soup very tasty and nice to try at different twist on this favorite fruit. The only downfall to our evening was the crying kid right beside us and the parent that did nothing. Tables are very close so this hindered our conversation several times.Special Features:
- Good Food and very QuietbistrodiningDined on 8/7/2014My husband and I ate here last week (Aug 7, 2014). It was a nice quiet dinner. The waitress was very attentive and fast with the drinks (always important). I had chicken, my husband had the pork chops. Our food was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much potentialKevinVIPDined on 8/6/2014I visited GC on what I knew would be a quiet night, but was still struck by the almost-empty restaurant. Things looked a bit threadbare almost everywhere, and even the landscaping on the potentially gorgeous patio looked tired and disheveled. The servers tried their best, but the food was disappointing and we couldn't wait to escape. I wish them the best though - it's a great spot and with a little love it could be awesome.
- very pleasant eveningpenroseDined on 8/5/2014We had visitors including one eleven year old. The Grovewood Cafe is always a pleasure.Special Features:
- Nice! to enjoy with my lovely wifeRwms1Dined on 8/1/2014A relaxed atmosphere, late evening under the open sky, great food, pleasant service, away from the hustles of everyday life, will not forget this one! In one word SPECIAL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 159 reviews are from the Grovewood Cafe reviews archive.
- Not Bad/Not GoodfoodsnobVIPDined on 7/25/2014We used to really enjoy lunch here but it had been at least a year and it was no longer the special hidden gem. Service was very good but the food lacked flavor and presentation. We were seated on the patio and it looked like it could use some sprucing up. I had a fried grouper sandwich( the special) that was a real snooze - no flavor. It was small and sat on the plate with a scoop of potato salad, no garnish, just sad. I had to add salt which is something I NEVER do. My husband had a beet and goat cheese sandwich. Again, ho-hum. I hope they change up their game and and recapture their former excellence.
- A nice quiet restaurant!BikemanDined on 7/19/2014Our party of six had lunch here on a rainy Saturday. The service was excellent as were our food choices. I have dined here for over a decade and have always had a good experience. I try to come here for lunch or dinner on each visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Third VisitgirlsbrunchDined on 7/18/2014We have been to the Grovewood at least 3 times and have never been disappointed. The food is great and this time the dessert was remarkable -- a berry cobbler. Our waitress wasn't quite as knowledgeable about scotch as we would have liked but overall she was quite good -- friendly, attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- A little gemQuiltingKittyDocDined on 7/18/2014My best friend's favorite restaurant, I bring her here each year for her birthday. An added attraction is the Grovewood Studio next door and the extensive collection of outdoor art surrounding the Café and Studio.Special Features:
- Grovewood Cafe - Ashevillewineluvr66Dined on 7/17/2014Food and service are ALWAYS outstanding. We have dined here many times and every meal has been very enjoyable. The muffins, breads are prepared on site. This restaurant is located on the Grove Park Inn property but not owned by them. The food is as good, or better than the GPI and considerably cheaper. A wonderful alternative when staying at the hotel. The restaurant is in an old building with a lot of charm which adds greatly to the dining experience.Special Features:
- Convienent to Grovewood GalleryricesDined on 7/17/2014We had a Groupon so that is the main reason we tried Grovewood Café, and that it was located next door to Grovewood Gallery where we had decided to stop and look around. We were the first patrons there and chose a table outside. It was very relaxing and enjoyable. We started out with the soup special, Seafood Chowder, it was really tasty! My husband ordered the Steak Sandwich, which was just ok, it came with shoestring potatoes that were soggy, not crispy. I ordered the Chicken BLT, it was delicious, with super crunchy homemade waffle fries, YUM!!! Service was fine, nothing special though.Special Features:
- A Hidden GemElsenorVIPDined on 7/9/2014The Grovewood Cafe is located just next door to the historic Grove Park Inn. It's also just next to the Homespun Shops. The food here is outstanding - lovingly crafted from locally sourced ingredients. I think the desserts are all home-made. Service is warm and friendly - completely unpretentious. If you're staying at the Grove Park Inn, make sure to dine here!Special Features:
- Always a Good MealLFAvlDined on 7/7/2014I can always rely on Grovewood Cafe for a good meal. Often inspired, always local and fresh. We like to eat there, then walk around the adjacent Grove Park Inn afterwards. Our server this last time was terrific-just the right amount of attention and chit chat without being too intrusive.Special Features:
- A restaurant that doesn't careStephenADined on 7/5/2014My wife and I have eaten at the Grovewood cafe a number of times and decided to visit for our 17th wedding anniversary. I ordered flowers to the restaurant and called ahead so they would know the flowers were associated with my reservation and what the occasion was. When we arrived, the lady at the front said "someone dropped off these flowers, I don't know if they are for you or not." After being seated, we waited 45 minutes and no offer of bread or anything else. When I suggested that I wished to cancel dinner and try the buffet next door at the Grove Park Inn buffet, I was treated most casually and off-handedly. We were among three parties who received the same treatment. I do not plan to return.
- Wife's Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/4/2014Good food, special treatment and even a large slice of chocolate cake with candle to celebrate her birthdaySpecial Features:
- Sorry, but I was very disappointedSDAtlVIPDined on 7/3/2014The Grovewood Cafe has so much potential -- it's adjacent to the Grove Park Inn, it is in a historic building that oozes charm, and it's next to a charming art gallery. The problem is that the owners are barely going through the motions. The place was 10% occupied the evening before the Fourth of July when most restaurants in Asheville were booked solid. The decor is mint-green walls, haphazard pictures, black metal chairs from the 80s, and fluorescent uplighting. There are broken chairs in the dining room and random kitchen supplies in view. The food is sound, but unimaginative. The wine list is awful. The service was slow and charmless. You can and should do much better.
- Disappointeddeb19VIPDined on 6/22/2014This was our third visit to Grovewood. Even though the restaurant is above average in cost, we had appreciated their food in the past. The ambience and service were not up to standards on this visit. We were seated in the front room on our the other visits--this time in the back. They were out of an item on their menu which we were only informed about by the waitress AFTER we had ordered it. Will not be going back to Grovewood Cafe anymore because there are too many other great restaurants to choose from in Asheville.
- General reviewgrovewoodsosoDined on 6/21/2014The price of the food didn't justify the taste or quantity of food served. In fact, the prices were outrageous based on what was placed on the table. The cheese biscuits were overdone, and the texture was what one would expect from leftovers. The waitress was knowledgeable about the menu. However, she was too chatty and often interrupted conversation at the table. We won't be coming back and won't recommend this restaurant. Our bill before tip was $62.00, which included only one beverage (coffee), no appetizer, and no dessert. I would rate this as a mediocre dining experience.
- Excellent food, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014The first thing that struck me about this restaurant was the excellence of the service--our server was always attentive and extremely knowledgeable and helpful. The food was also superb, and the atmosphere quiet and peaceful. It was a very enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:
- yummyashevilleDined on 6/17/2014We three childhood friends had a wonderful, leisurely lunch. Highland shrimp boil was great as was the peach cobbler. Although we finished up after the lunch hours, we were not rushed out. Thanks for a lovely, memorable lunch.Special Features:
- Just Keeps Getting BetterBillinVAVIPDined on 6/16/2014We always stop by the Grovewood Cafe when in Asheville and they never disappoint. It's a lovely setting for indoor or outdoor dining, right next to the famous Grovewood Inn, but separate, quite and with plenty of parking, next to a row of very interesting shops and galleries. On this occasion, one of us was eager for their lobster macaroni and cheese, which is in a class by itself. Alas, it was not on the luncheon menu but the chef offered to make it for us anyway AND shared the recipe. Now that is customer service. As always, a fine meal at very reasonable prices in a pleasing location and friendly, competent service. Already looking forward to returning. A lot of people don't know about this little gem - their loss for sure.Special Features:
- Quiet beautiful settingthegoodlife7Dined on 6/15/2014Great food, very nice service and a good place to have a conversation with one another. We would definitely go again and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Good foodNoteworthymomDined on 6/9/2014We purchased a Groupon and decided to try the restaurant out. Because this is out of our normal price range for meals, we never would have found this gem. The weather was beautiful, so my husband and I decided to eat outside. The waitress was very pleasant and our meals were excellent. Neither of us were very impressed with our dessert. I wouldn't recommend eating here if you are on a time schedule because service is very slow. Since we weren't in a hurry, it didn't really bother us.Special Features:
- Very Good BrunchRayRayDined on 6/8/2014Enjoyed our Brunch. Food was well prepared, well presented and tasty. Outstanding service from our server despite the fact that she was working 7-8 tables during Brunch-----She did an excellent job of taking care of everyone at her tables. Will return.Special Features:
- FantasticGabbyVIPDined on 6/5/2014Grove Wood cafe is a Gem in the shadows of GrovePark Inn Food is so good and staff very friendly and helpful Parking is free and easy , also next to GROVEWOOD is a wonderful Gallery that will grab the attention of men and woman .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tony1935Dined on 5/30/2014Had surprise birthday luncheon here. Service and food were wonderful. Everyone enjoyed it. The restaurant made a birthday cake for us. It was a lovely afternoon.Special Features: