111 Grovewood Road Ste. 8
Asheville, NC 28804Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://grovewoodcafe.com/
- Phone: 8282588956
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:30pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Southern
- Executive Chef: Larry Waldrop
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant consists of a front and back dining room. The front room comfortably seats up to 40 and the back can seat up to 60. We welcome any inquiries and regularly accommodate rehearsal dinners, bridal luncheons, presentations and any other event where you need a facility to host a crowd.
- Private Party Contact: Larry Waldrop 8282588956
A word from Grovewood Cafe
Located adjacent to the historic Grove Park Inn and nestled in an enclave of shops and museums, The Grovewood Cafe offers the finest in regional and continental cuisine. The Grovewood Cafe has served up delicious Southern recipes in the mountains of Western North Carolina for over 17 years. Fresh salads, homemade soups and flavorful seasonally changing dishes showcase both the talents of the chef and the remarkable locally available produce and meats. We offer vegetarian dishes and also have a children"s menu for our youngest guests. We offer both indoor dining and a seasonal outdoor patio. We would love to see you for your special occasions, every day lunch or dinner, and welcome large parties and banquets. We offer all variety of spirits and we are sure that we can find the proper libation to whet your whistle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Grovewood Cafe - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Grovewood Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
great for outdoor dining (32)neighborhood gem (31)special occasion (26)romantic (23)great for lunch (22)fit for foodies (21)great for brunch (18)scenic view (12)good for groups (10)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)Show More
- Tlb023VIPDined on 9/4/2014I was so excited to try the fried green tomatoes, but they were soggy and the red pepper coulis was bland. Very dissapointing, especially for $10.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceAVLnativeDined on 9/1/2014Food was great, service was great with a quaint outdoor atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemLuvgoodfoodDined on 8/22/2014Quiet & charming place tucked behind Grove Park Inn. At the risk of making a favorite place busier, this place really deserves to be discovered. They have a small and changing menu, good wines, friendly service & indoor or patio dining. A delightful little find!Special Features:
- Perfect little spotSusanDined on 8/22/2014My husband & I had an early dinner at the Grovewood Cafe after visiting the antique car museum & art gallery just behind the cafe. We had a romantic outside dining spot on the upper deck all to ourselves. My husband had the buffalo flank steak & I had the grilled chicken, both were wonderful! The blackberry cobbler (more like a bread pudding) was delicious. Hubby had coconut cake which he loved. It was the perfect spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Seasonal VeggiestlmamaDined on 8/7/2014We had a wonderful meal. The veggies were prepared to perfection and they offered a wide variety. Corn pudding was the highlight, perfectly creamy and seasoned. The pork chop was grilled and served with a decadent demi glace that had great flavor. Chilled Blueberry soup very tasty and nice to try at different twist on this favorite fruit. The only downfall to our evening was the crying kid right beside us and the parent that did nothing. Tables are very close so this hindered our conversation several times.Special Features:
- Good Food and very QuietbistrodiningDined on 8/7/2014My husband and I ate here last week (Aug 7, 2014). It was a nice quiet dinner. The waitress was very attentive and fast with the drinks (always important). I had chicken, my husband had the pork chops. Our food was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very pleasant eveningpenroseDined on 8/5/2014We had visitors including one eleven year old. The Grovewood Cafe is always a pleasure.Special Features:
- Nice! to enjoy with my lovely wifeRwms1Dined on 8/1/2014A relaxed atmosphere, late evening under the open sky, great food, pleasant service, away from the hustles of everyday life, will not forget this one! In one word SPECIAL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Bad/Not GoodfoodsnobVIPDined on 7/25/2014We used to really enjoy lunch here but it had been at least a year and it was no longer the special hidden gem. Service was very good but the food lacked flavor and presentation. We were seated on the patio and it looked like it could use some sprucing up. I had a fried grouper sandwich( the special) that was a real snooze - no flavor. It was small and sat on the plate with a scoop of potato salad, no garnish, just sad. I had to add salt which is something I NEVER do. My husband had a beet and goat cheese sandwich. Again, ho-hum. I hope they change up their game and and recapture their former excellence.
- A nice quiet restaurant!BikemanDined on 7/19/2014Our party of six had lunch here on a rainy Saturday. The service was excellent as were our food choices. I have dined here for over a decade and have always had a good experience. I try to come here for lunch or dinner on each visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Third VisitgirlsbrunchDined on 7/18/2014We have been to the Grovewood at least 3 times and have never been disappointed. The food is great and this time the dessert was remarkable -- a berry cobbler. Our waitress wasn't quite as knowledgeable about scotch as we would have liked but overall she was quite good -- friendly, attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- A little gemQuiltingKittyDocDined on 7/18/2014My best friend's favorite restaurant, I bring her here each year for her birthday. An added attraction is the Grovewood Studio next door and the extensive collection of outdoor art surrounding the Café and Studio.Special Features:
- Grovewood Cafe - Ashevillewineluvr66Dined on 7/17/2014Food and service are ALWAYS outstanding. We have dined here many times and every meal has been very enjoyable. The muffins, breads are prepared on site. This restaurant is located on the Grove Park Inn property but not owned by them. The food is as good, or better than the GPI and considerably cheaper. A wonderful alternative when staying at the hotel. The restaurant is in an old building with a lot of charm which adds greatly to the dining experience.Special Features:
- Convienent to Grovewood GalleryricesDined on 7/17/2014We had a Groupon so that is the main reason we tried Grovewood Café, and that it was located next door to Grovewood Gallery where we had decided to stop and look around. We were the first patrons there and chose a table outside. It was very relaxing and enjoyable. We started out with the soup special, Seafood Chowder, it was really tasty! My husband ordered the Steak Sandwich, which was just ok, it came with shoestring potatoes that were soggy, not crispy. I ordered the Chicken BLT, it was delicious, with super crunchy homemade waffle fries, YUM!!! Service was fine, nothing special though.Special Features:
- A Hidden GemElsenorVIPDined on 7/9/2014The Grovewood Cafe is located just next door to the historic Grove Park Inn. It's also just next to the Homespun Shops. The food here is outstanding - lovingly crafted from locally sourced ingredients. I think the desserts are all home-made. Service is warm and friendly - completely unpretentious. If you're staying at the Grove Park Inn, make sure to dine here!Special Features:
- Always a Good MealLFAvlDined on 7/7/2014I can always rely on Grovewood Cafe for a good meal. Often inspired, always local and fresh. We like to eat there, then walk around the adjacent Grove Park Inn afterwards. Our server this last time was terrific-just the right amount of attention and chit chat without being too intrusive.Special Features:
- A restaurant that doesn't careStephenADined on 7/5/2014My wife and I have eaten at the Grovewood cafe a number of times and decided to visit for our 17th wedding anniversary. I ordered flowers to the restaurant and called ahead so they would know the flowers were associated with my reservation and what the occasion was. When we arrived, the lady at the front said "someone dropped off these flowers, I don't know if they are for you or not." After being seated, we waited 45 minutes and no offer of bread or anything else. When I suggested that I wished to cancel dinner and try the buffet next door at the Grove Park Inn buffet, I was treated most casually and off-handedly. We were among three parties who received the same treatment. I do not plan to return.
- Wife's Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/4/2014Good food, special treatment and even a large slice of chocolate cake with candle to celebrate her birthdaySpecial Features:
- Sorry, but I was very disappointedSDAtlVIPDined on 7/3/2014The Grovewood Cafe has so much potential -- it's adjacent to the Grove Park Inn, it is in a historic building that oozes charm, and it's next to a charming art gallery. The problem is that the owners are barely going through the motions. The place was 10% occupied the evening before the Fourth of July when most restaurants in Asheville were booked solid. The decor is mint-green walls, haphazard pictures, black metal chairs from the 80s, and fluorescent uplighting. There are broken chairs in the dining room and random kitchen supplies in view. The food is sound, but unimaginative. The wine list is awful. The service was slow and charmless. You can and should do much better.
- Disappointeddeb19VIPDined on 6/22/2014This was our third visit to Grovewood. Even though the restaurant is above average in cost, we had appreciated their food in the past. The ambience and service were not up to standards on this visit. We were seated in the front room on our the other visits--this time in the back. They were out of an item on their menu which we were only informed about by the waitress AFTER we had ordered it. Will not be going back to Grovewood Cafe anymore because there are too many other great restaurants to choose from in Asheville.
- General reviewgrovewoodsosoDined on 6/21/2014The price of the food didn't justify the taste or quantity of food served. In fact, the prices were outrageous based on what was placed on the table. The cheese biscuits were overdone, and the texture was what one would expect from leftovers. The waitress was knowledgeable about the menu. However, she was too chatty and often interrupted conversation at the table. We won't be coming back and won't recommend this restaurant. Our bill before tip was $62.00, which included only one beverage (coffee), no appetizer, and no dessert. I would rate this as a mediocre dining experience.
- Excellent food, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014The first thing that struck me about this restaurant was the excellence of the service--our server was always attentive and extremely knowledgeable and helpful. The food was also superb, and the atmosphere quiet and peaceful. It was a very enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:
- yummyashevilleDined on 6/17/2014We three childhood friends had a wonderful, leisurely lunch. Highland shrimp boil was great as was the peach cobbler. Although we finished up after the lunch hours, we were not rushed out. Thanks for a lovely, memorable lunch.Special Features:
- Just Keeps Getting BetterBillinVADined on 6/16/2014We always stop by the Grovewood Cafe when in Asheville and they never disappoint. It's a lovely setting for indoor or outdoor dining, right next to the famous Grovewood Inn, but separate, quite and with plenty of parking, next to a row of very interesting shops and galleries. On this occasion, one of us was eager for their lobster macaroni and cheese, which is in a class by itself. Alas, it was not on the luncheon menu but the chef offered to make it for us anyway AND shared the recipe. Now that is customer service. As always, a fine meal at very reasonable prices in a pleasing location and friendly, competent service. Already looking forward to returning. A lot of people don't know about this little gem - their loss for sure.Special Features:
- Quiet beautiful settingthegoodlife7Dined on 6/15/2014Great food, very nice service and a good place to have a conversation with one another. We would definitely go again and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Good foodNoteworthymomDined on 6/9/2014We purchased a Groupon and decided to try the restaurant out. Because this is out of our normal price range for meals, we never would have found this gem. The weather was beautiful, so my husband and I decided to eat outside. The waitress was very pleasant and our meals were excellent. Neither of us were very impressed with our dessert. I wouldn't recommend eating here if you are on a time schedule because service is very slow. Since we weren't in a hurry, it didn't really bother us.Special Features:
- Very Good BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/8/2014Enjoyed our Brunch. Food was well prepared, well presented and tasty. Outstanding service from our server despite the fact that she was working 7-8 tables during Brunch-----She did an excellent job of taking care of everyone at her tables. Will return.Special Features:
- FantasticGabbyVIPDined on 6/5/2014Grove Wood cafe is a Gem in the shadows of GrovePark Inn Food is so good and staff very friendly and helpful Parking is free and easy , also next to GROVEWOOD is a wonderful Gallery that will grab the attention of men and woman .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tony1935Dined on 5/30/2014Had surprise birthday luncheon here. Service and food were wonderful. Everyone enjoyed it. The restaurant made a birthday cake for us. It was a lovely afternoon.Special Features:
- great experienceNCactuaryDined on 5/28/2014While the entree menu might be a little limited, the food was superb. I had the soft-shelled crab special and my wife had NC trout. Both were amazing, and of course we had the seafood chowder, for which they have a well-deserved reputation. The outdoor setting was excellent; cool, no bugs, quiet and very romantic. The servers were very friendly. The cost of the meal is on a par with other fine dining restaurants around Asheville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet, Reserved, Homey, Good FoodCPULLDined on 5/25/2014Just a short walk down the hill from the Grove Park Inn (2 minutes). We sat outside for dinner and it was gorgeous. Attentive service, and a nice touch with our trout and catfish entrees, as well as our filet. Good value for the meal, too.Special Features:
- Not badst0081Dined on 5/25/2014There was nothing exciting about the menu at Grovewood, but everything was prepared well. They were missing a few menu items which limited what I thought was an already sparse menu. Our server was a little spacey.
- The following 135 reviews are from the Grovewood Cafe reviews archive.
- LoriVIPDined on 5/18/2014My husband and I had not been to the Grovewood Cafe in years and were astonished to see how much it had changed. First of all, our server, was wonderful and pleasant and knowledgeable of the wine selection, and is no way a reflection of this review. The ambiance, as we recall from years ago, had been cozy and elegant and the food quite delicious....but this time we felt as though we could be in a cafeteria. The decor is outdated and bland, and the food was average at best....reminding us of a cafeteria. Sorry to be so blunt! We miss the prior Grovewood Cafe!
- Consistently Great!foodie132VIPDined on 5/17/2014The food and service is really excellent every time I have been. As a local, we love to eat out lunch. The quality and freshness of the food is heads above most of the restaurants in town. The value for this quality is great for locally sourced, fresh food. I had the salad with local chicken breast with fresh fruit and brie - the fruit was simply the best I have ever experienced in a restaurant - they must have sourced it local and in-season. The chicken was incredible and the fresh baked bread selections are truly awesome (I am a bread foodie!). I would be here once/week if I worked closer. My husband had the chicken breast BLT and loved. I also had a catfish sandwich special recently with the most amazing homemade chips. Yum!Special Features:
- Best Kept Secret in AshevilleLollieDined on 5/12/2014This was our second visit to Grovewood Café, both times for dinner. The food and service are both incredible! We were able to get a reservation on a Saturday night with no problems. I took my husband here for his birthday this past week. This restaurant is on the grounds of the Grove Park Inn and I had never even noticed it until some friends took us here. Really the best kept secret in Asheville. This restaurant truly has it all, location, great food and wonderful service.Special Features:
- Fabulous Foodmath4allDined on 5/5/2014The restaurant is quiet, which made for a very pleasant dining atmosphere. The waitress was friendly and made us feel welcome and comfortable. What makes this restaurant stand out is the food. From the appetizers to the entrees, every dish was outstanding.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014The food was good and nice atmosphere. Selections were minimal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!TrevorDined on 4/26/2014The Food was outstanding! Superb! The dessert was to die for!! The service was great. We had no complaints. The atmosphere was nice and relaxed. Some may complain that the restaurant is not decorated very nicely, and that the restaurant appearance doesn't match the quality of the food. But we rather enjoyed the décor. It was a perfect setting for our anniversary dinner.Special Features:
- Dined in a Historic StructureBarbaraDined on 4/26/2014Enjoyed a delicious dinner in the most charming historic cottage on lovely grounds adjacent to the Grove Park Inn. The best vegetable plate (complete with a square of old fashioned baked macaroni and cheese) ever! A nice getaway from the bustle of the downtown restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedDJM1Dined on 4/26/2014Basically just fair, all across the board. The setting is wonderful, great outdoor dining. That's all I can say about it. Won't return because there are so many better options in Asheville. Just not what I expected at all.