Grotto - Houston
Houston, TX 77027Neighborhood:
Galleria / Uptown
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Grotto - Houston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.grottorestaurants.com/
- Phone: 7136223663x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday - Monday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Dinner menu available all day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ricky Cruz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Grotto - Houston
Inspired by classic Southern Italian cooking, Grotto features delicious veal, chicken, seafood and house made pastas – the signature Osso Bucco is not to be missed! The breath-taking décor features spectacular hand-blown glass chandeliers, whimsical murals and custom-made polished iron scrollwork. Wine connoisseurs will be impressed with the extensive collection of Italian and domestic selections. With our winning combination of impeccable service, superb cuisine and passion for detail, Grotto is the perfect location for Italian dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Grotto - Houston reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (59)great for lunch (54)special occasion (52)fit for foodies (49)neighborhood gem (35)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (26)romantic (26)kid-friendly (19)great for outdoor dining (19)notable wine list (19)great for brunch (19)late-night find (11)scenic view (4)Show More
- Terrific!KLamDined on 10/18/2014We dined at Grotto this past Saturday night. Our server, Celerino (hope I have that correct) was absolutely wonderful! Grotto is so lucky to have him as part of their team. He was energetic, friendly, and knowledgeable of the menu and wine list. I am also glad that Grotto has off the menu "specials". I usually try one of the specials because they are SO GOOD! I had a salmon, crab and spinach special that was absolutely delicious. The best salmon I have ever had. Cooked perfectly! We had wonderful service; water repoured, knives replaced, plates cleared, and food was delivered in a timely manner. Desserts were delicious! I always enjoy going to Grotto. Although it can be a bit loud, the food, service and ambiance win out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodLIZZYVIPDined on 10/18/2014I really emnjoyed the eggs benedict. Delicious. I would certainly go back.Special Features:
- Grotto's Great Again!VicDVIPDined on 10/17/2014The combination of Grotto's great food and best-in-the-business service always adds up to an enjoyable evening! Excellent core group of ine waiters!Special Features:
- My Favorite Restaurant in HoustonFoodieDined on 10/15/2014I always have great service & incredible food at Grotto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatioMseyebrowsDined on 10/15/2014What a great long lunch on the patio. My clients loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrong with Grotto!PickypalateDined on 10/10/2014I lived near Grotto for over 10 years and had never been. So glad I finally went! I love the ambience, food, service and location. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieFoodieDined on 10/4/2014Love this place! I was so upset when they closed the one in Dallas!!! It is the perfect place to take people for a special occasion, out of towners, or just to spoil yourself. We recently took a group of friends some had lived in Spain for years and they loved it! It reminded them of home they said. We had the antipasta bar for starters with a wonderful wine, I always love the wine here. And everyone got something different pasta, fish, pizza.. This is the only place I really must order pasta because it melts in your mouth. It was all enjoyed very much! In fact so much that while we were still eating we discussed going to their happy hour during the wk while we are still in Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousnessCarefulConsumerDined on 9/26/2014We stopped by Grotto to check out their private event space and stayed for dinner. Everything from the bread to the salad to the pasta to the wine was delicious. I'm vegetarian so I had the ravioli, and after adding just a bit of fresh black pepper, the dish was perfect. I would definitely recommend dining here. Also, the service was impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Place to DineccooleDined on 9/26/2014The ambiance of the interior is lovely - perfect martinis - good food and great service!Special Features:
- AccommodatingQueenBDined on 9/26/2014The waiters were excellent. What I appreciated most that for our table of 6 women, the waiter was able to ask for alterations in food prep. Specifically, grilled, less oil, no garlic, etc. My pasta with grilled vegetables and small amount of oil was delicious. One of my friends asked for dry-grilled fish and vegetables, which was prepared perfectly. Good ambiance and good food!I would recommend this to a friend.
- MY Fav!FoodieDined on 9/25/2014Grotto is my favorite restuarant in Houston! Food, service are excellent!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday!Bbeni93Dined on 9/21/2014It was our first time coming to Grotto, we went for brunch for my dad's birthday and it was a blast! Our server Alfredo was amazing! He delivered perfect service and made us laugh the entire time! The food was DELICIOUS! And the ambiance was great :) I loved it and my dad had a great time for his birthday! We WILL be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/16/2014Excellent food and service. Prices are reasonable for lunch.Special Features:
- Used to be goodPabloDined on 9/15/2014Grotto used to be a nice mid-range restaurant under the Vallones. It is decidedly average to poor now. The pastas particularly were dreadful. My wife had to send back her angel hair pasta as the angels had apparently been overcoked into a stodgy mess. The lasagne was barely better. As for my out of town guests they were too polite to comment. Definitely a no-no until I hear a good report again.
- Impressive Neighborhood GemOfftheBeatenPathVIPDined on 9/14/2014We have been in Houston for a mix of business and pleasure and have been trying out the restaurants around town. This one exceeded our expectations in every way. The server knew her stuff, the pace was great (we hate being rushed) and the wine menu was quite extensive. We were pleased with everything we ate and found the seafood here to be better then any other restaurant we have tried so far in Houston. We loved how they get your wine selection completed and served to you before they give you the food menu. We will definitely recommend this restaurant to others and return when in Houston.Special Features:
- Great mid-priced place to eathungryeaterDined on 9/13/2014We have eaten here several times and the food is always excellent. Service is very good. I would suggest making reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehDonWDined on 9/12/2014We had not been to Grotto in a long time, probably before it became part of the Landry's chain. That merger didn't help it. The mussels were overcooked with several that didn't open, the salads were short on dressing, the waiter was not quite with it (offered our coffee and dessert before we got our main course), the main courses were uninspired. We joined the Landry's select club to enjoy some discounts, but we're having a hard time finding member restaurants worth the savings.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Certainly not what expected from the reviews. Waiter more interested in pushing a bottle of wine than getting us the wine list and actually menus so we could decide what to order. They make a big deal of their antipasti table-very mixed. The stuffed artichoke and stacked eggplant good but the seafood salad fair at best-hard rubbery calamari. The individual pizza was good and some enjoyed their main courses but my snapper was poor-dry and over cooked, left most of it. One way not to overeat when out with a group. Chose it because in the Gallaria area but there are better choices I learned of later
- HoustondinerDined on 9/7/2014Always a good experience when we come eat here. This is a great spot for a casual weekend dinner or a special occasion event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tired GrottoDLEquiDined on 9/6/2014First visit in over a year - but again found Grotto to be a bit tired. The food was reliably good, but not overly remarkable. My salad was very tasty, with a dressing that complemented and did not overpower the greens. Our seafood linguine was also perfectly done. What is disappointing is the service and ambience. Service has definitely declined since our last visit, and is not as professional as we remembered. Noise continues to be the problem with this venue.
- Great experience during HRWDcapDined on 8/31/2014A little too loud/crowded for me on a Sunday night, but the meal was great.Special Features:
- OutstandinggoodtasteDined on 8/30/2014I absolutely love this restaurant. This was my second time dinning there and again everything was up to standards as I expected. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasted half hourKen1Dined on 8/30/2014I had an Open Table reservation for 4 at 7 PM in my name. When my wife and I arrived I gave the hostess my name and told her we were a reservation for 4. I asked if the other guests had arrived and was told they hadn't. We were seated. After 30 minutes I texted the other couple to ask what happened that they were already 30 minutes late and they told me they had been at Grotto for 30 minutes and were already seated. When they arrived they gave the hostess my name and asked if I had arrived and were told we hadn't. So there we were, sitting at different tables for 30 minutes. I asked to speak to the manager and his reply was he'd give us one complimentary appetizer to split (there we 4 guests). Open Table doesn't work at Grotto.
- Great meal, as alwaysRandSDineAlotDined on 8/30/2014This is our go to restaurant for a great Italian meal. The service is friendly and attentive. The food is outstanding. We are regulars and will continue dining at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FestivePortofinoVIPDined on 8/29/2014On a Friday night the bar and restaurant were full, festive, and busy. Our table was ready 15 minutes late, but a cocktail timed it just about right. The wait staff guided us well to what was fresh, and also with the wine. Skip the caprese. Too salty and too little vinegrette. The pear salad was much better. The sea bass wrapped in prescutto was super. Don't skip the gelato.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a surprise findsurajDined on 8/29/2014I have seen the Grotto during many drive bys going to other restaurants or nearby businesses. It was defintiely not on my mind as I was trying to find a lunch spot near the Galleria. However the Google search of restaureants near the Galleria came up with Grotto as one of the prominent hits. Since I have not been there earlier I decided to give it a try. It was defintley worth the while. Firstly it was very spacious and had very good, upscale ambiance for a strip mall establishment. Adding to the pleasant surprise was the service and food. It was very well presented, every dish very tasty, with the waiters ever mindful of our needs. Based on the experience, Grotto will defintiely figure prominently on my list of goto's for business lunches.Special Features:
- disappointingLuv2dineDined on 8/23/2014The farwell salad was excellent. However the Pollo Arrosoto was coated in so much salt that it killed all other flavors. The spinach was obviously frozen and bitter. Waiter was inattentive.
- Second time aroundBobboDined on 8/23/2014This was my second time at the Grotto and the food and service both times was excellent. Plan on going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HRWSue4dessertDined on 8/16/2014Meals prepared beautifully; fish was perfectly cooked; chicken was great; desserts were delicious-great value, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- def not for kids. not romantic.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Did not understand the whole "cheese bar" thing. Didn't see anyone using it - just weird.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekVicreauxDined on 8/13/2014Good food for a good cause. We had the shrimp pasta and it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time impressionpickyeaterDined on 8/12/2014It is a friendly place. We all like the soup and salads here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never coming backhoustonDined on 8/12/2014I didn't like it at all it is the rip off in food and prize also I didn't like the way you organize the happy hours only on the some specific small table , never coming back to this restaurant or recommend anyone
- Customer Service?HoustonwehavelandedDined on 8/12/2014Ordered wine for a specific year, didn't have and didn't tell presenting the bottle for another year. Manager had no customer service orientation when pressed for an explanation, younger wine same price, too bad. Next selection didn't have the year. 2008 was a good year vs 2006 for wine, really? no explanation on price being the same,chianti 2006 versus 2008. If you list years then have the wine or a strategy to deal with it. Finished the appetizer server asked us if we wanted coffee and started to remove tableware before we had even had the main course served because she thought we were finished. Chicken overcooked; pasta advertised as rigatoni was penne. Point card that was $ for $ gave 79 for $268 b4 tip. Better choices in Houston
- Consistently good....BacchusBudDined on 8/10/2014Grotto has been a 'go-to' for us for years. Food is consistently very good, and if there ever is a reason not to like something, they will handle it well. Don't expect quiet and cozy, it's tight-tabled and lively. The outside seating is cozy as well, but next to a parking lot and Westheimer - enough said. But, if you want a great lunch, easy dinner or an anytime snack, their menu is diverse and all very tasty. Even their pizzas are excellent, as are some 'standards' like spaghetti bolognese. But go for some of the special items and the menu, and you won't be disappointed. Wine list is reasonably diverse, but the best bottles are often picked over (meaning, gone!).Special Features:
- Grotto/Westheimer - GREAT!VicDVIPDined on 8/8/2014Food was outstanding, surpassed only by outstanding service! Bartenders make great drinks! Miguel Rosas was our waiter and was terrific!Special Features:
- Won't be back...BeckyDined on 8/8/2014Went there last Friday (8/8/14) and had 6 in my party. Granted it was during Restaurant Weeks, but the service was probably the worst I've ever had. I had to beg for menus, practically trip someone passing our table to take drink orders and then round him up again for our dinner orders. The food was over-cooked & not hot, presentation was not at its best and the noise level was insane. Our friends really like this place and go often, but my husband and I will not be back for dinner. Perhaps sometime for lunch.Special Features:
- seating too crowdedBJMCDined on 8/8/2014tables are too close together, can't even walk down the aisle without bumping into chairs. Too loud for conversation and sitting too close to next table for any privacy. Also we had reservations but had to wait for our table.Special Features:
- Good food, rushed service.jeffrobin63Dined on 8/6/2014Well stocked menu with excellent off the menu specials - the salmon over spinach topped with crab meat was delicious. Save room for desert! ...the desert cart is excellent. Service was rushed. Too many servers hovering around your table..taking the plate out from under me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really like this place!TXDCBevoDined on 8/6/2014This is one of the places you can't go wrong. It is nicer than many chains, it has great service, good food, good portions, not too stuffy but yet elegant enough to where you feel good! I love this place and La Griglia. I have never had a bad experience and I can go back anytime. That is a good sign of consistency.Special Features: