37 Bowdoin Street
Boston, MA 02114Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.grottorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 227-3434
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 3:00pm; Dinner Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Scott Herritt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We are available for semi-private parties of all sizes and private events for parties of 44 to 46 people.
- Private Party Contact: Scott Herritt 6172273434x
A word from Grotto
Welcome to Grotto, a 25 rated Zagat restaurant serving Italian cuisine in a casual and comfortable atmosphere. We will bring back old world charm with a rustic setting, featuring cuisine rated by Phantom Gourmet as Best New Italian (2004), and Gourmet Greatness (2005).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Grotto - Best Restaurants in Beacon Hill ›
Grotto reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
romantic (116)neighborhood gem (110)fit for foodies (91)special occasion (74)notable wine list (26)great for lunch (13)hot spot (11)late-night find (6)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Cozy and goodSecretplannerDined on 11/15/2014It's a really a small but amazingly good finding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grotto, always super!cageyleftyVIPDined on 11/12/2014So consistent, so good. Brought a VIP from Jersey the other night who loved it. Perfect twist on parmesan, not drowned in tomato sauce, just terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date nightfrmTORONTODined on 11/8/2014Perfect spot to bring a date, great ambiance, great service and food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFlate14Dined on 11/8/2014Grotto took us right back to our honeymoon in Italy. Small space, small tables, excellent food and the waitstaff is good at judging when you need something - like another glass of wine!Special Features:
- great spot for date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Can't say anything bad about this place except the price. I kind of knew that it was going to be pricey though going into it. If you are willing to splurge though on a special occasion, this is the place to go! Definitely recommended making a reservation though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good GrottoAlexisDined on 10/30/2014The bread leaves something to be desired, as did the arugula salad, but the entrees (lobster fra diavolo an my friend's bolognese) were great. Very small wine pour.
- Great find!HungryManDined on 10/28/2014Little hole in the wall restaurant with some of the best italian food I've had since my tour of Italy. Can't say enough good things about this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommendedjustaddh2oDined on 10/28/2014I had a great experience overall - food, service, and atmosphere. I definitely plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pros and ConsChrisDined on 10/25/2014Decent food. However, it was too dark to even see what was on the plate. It was also unbearably hot inside. the amount of light and temperature depend on the spot you get, since the shape and size of the room force them to utilize every little corner. Very crowded. Pretty long wait despite reservation. Service was very slow (empty plates sat there for over a half an hour after the meal). Overall, a decent experience. Nothing special however.Special Features:
- food went down hillCTfoodieVIPDined on 10/24/2014Food was great last year. Not so much now. Oddly flavored sauces. Loud.
- Fantastic little Italian jointjayzorDined on 10/19/2014Excellent little Italian restaurant with some great charm. It's one of those places you would never find just by walking by but I am so glad it was suggested to me. The food was fantastic and the service was excellent. Perfect place to spend my anniversary evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star Northern Italian CuisineBostonSportsFanDined on 10/18/2014A great romantic hot spot for fabulous food. The garlic zuppa with black truffle is a must have. The 3 course price fix keeps everyone in budget. The friendly wait staff and quality of food will keep you coming back time and time again. *****Highly Recommended*****Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/17/2014The food was good and the wait staff attentive. The only thing I didn't like and would prevent me from returning was the lighting. I was going to be seated in a dark corner. When I told them I was not on a romantic date but meeting a friend, I was seated at another table. The lighting was equally dark and we used our iPhone flashlight to read the menu. We asked for another candle but that didn't help much. Other patrons didn't seem to be bothered so maybe it was just me.Special Features:
- The BestRickVIPDined on 10/11/2014This restaurant is one of the best . I have been all over the US. ,and this restaurant is very affordble for the quality of food you receive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummmm!!leanneelizabethDined on 10/10/2014Food was great. It could not be smaller, and it's a little awkward when you first go in because there is no hostess stand or anything. The service was great, very attentive. It was pretty loud when we went, it is so small and the women at the table next to us we're very loud. The portions are perfect, and very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date spothadagreattimeDined on 10/8/2014The only thing better than the atmosphere was the food. Brick walls, candles and artwork brought it all together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- swedeTBudDined on 10/5/2014Nice small, intimate setting. I had very tasty and well presented scallops dish and partner had to-die-for duck. Wine seemed a bit pricey for the selections. Good background music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a special occasionfoodieatheartDined on 10/2/2014Every time I have a reason to celebrate I come here! A little pricy, but the food is amazing. Incredibly cozy, and the ricotta dumplings are out of this world. Tasting menu is worth it if you have the moneySpecial Features:
- Romantic!GordyVIPDined on 9/30/2014grotto is still Grotto after our two year absence! ... was very romantic! Must say it seems, tho, that the menu was small and the wine selection needs attention. Food was good but also seemed to be a bit less than two years ago ... Love the ambiance and the services was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent cozy dinning spotINHdDined on 9/27/2014This restaurant is tucked away, but don't be fooled by its small size. The food and service has been excellent on both of my visits. Great date spot, or for a small group, but not for a big crowd.Special Features:
- Perfect Choice!Flash891Dined on 9/27/2014Made reservations here ahead of time for my girlfriend's birthday. Couldn't have been a better choice. Unbelievable Prix Fixe deal and the food was some of the best I've had in Boston. For the entree, I had gnocchi and short ribs and my girlfriend had pan seared scallops. Highly recommend both! Definitely the type of restaurant that is good for special occasions. Small place with a great ambiance. If you want a great spot to impress the person you're with, this is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurant in Boston!HannahgrapplesDined on 9/26/2014With delicious food, fun underground venue, close quarters, and romantic speakeasy aesthetic, this is a comfortably intimate spot for a date. I highly recommend the Carne dish with risotto but everything I have tasted here has been great. Request the corner table under the stairs for some extra romance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely evening outMollyMegDined on 9/22/2014This is a great place to have a romantic dinner. All of our food was very delicious and came to the table with good timing (we got the pre fixe). The wine list is small and the bottle prices are very steep. The wines by the glass are a tiny bit pricey but some good choices and those you can get a bottle for a more moderate price. Would return in a heartbeat. It can get warm as the kitchen is close to the small dining room so wear layers.Special Features:
- No parking, not very invitingLqsbDined on 9/17/2014We actually didn't stay after finding no parking. We ran in to inquire about parking and we were not impressed with the ambiance, Perhaps the food is fantastic but we'll never know.
- Grotto - Great Down Home ItalianBstuDined on 9/15/2014Charming Italian hole in the wall on the back of the Hill. $38 prix fixe first class three course meal (in Boston) with amazingly no cutback in choices. I went "down home", a terrific stacked grilled mozzarella and tomato salad, a standard of comparison red sauce spaghetti with the most and biggest meatballs on the planet, and a delicious molten chocolate cake lacking only the molten. Wine list is the only disappointment. Very few whites with Italian choices mostly pinot grigio, and way too few reds under $100. Being Monday they were out of my first four choices, but cudos to the manager who came to the rescue. She recommended an Italian red I never heard of which worked well, was delicious and was fairly priced. Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmedDined on 9/15/2014Charming. Tucked away on Beacon Hill street corner, Grotto is a neighborhood find. Red walls and candlelight create a warm and intimate ambiance. I have to return to try more of the delectable offerings on the menu, a listing of Italian delicacies such as I have not seen in years. Prix Fix menu of the courses for $38 is amazing , though I could not handle that much food on a Monday night, so opted for a smaller meal. I will certainly return! A neighborhood, and Boston, treasure.Special Features:
- consistently very goodchuckmac07VIPDined on 9/15/2014nice bread, terrific salads & creative, fresh pasta dishes made for another very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceMMaloneDined on 9/12/2014Certainly worth a visit, nice price fix menu, good service, cool locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Subterranean GembvonVIPDined on 9/7/2014This is a small restaurant with about 15 well appointed tables, brick walls and dim lighting - warm and inviting. Our server was attentive without being overbearing. My husband and I decided to forgo the Prixe Fixe dinner option and order ala carte. The Spinaci (beet salad with goat cheese) was very fresh and tasty and my husband enjoyed the Insalata (baby arugula and prosciutto). We decided to order one entree for the both of us as we wanted to save room for dessert. The apple stuffed duck breast was outstanding - very tender and juicy - with a delicious dried cherry sauce, and potato au gratin which were divine. The duck breast was the best I've ever had. Plan to make a trip to this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually great ...carr78Dined on 9/6/2014Went for a romantic dinner with my girlfriend. Food and service were excellent, just as I remembered, but the atmosphere was completely different than I had hoped. We sat next to half a dozen young females who were yelling almost the entire meal. I'm n usually not bothered by this kind of thing but it felt like there was a bachelorette party behind us. We couldn't even converse. All the charm and romantic vibes of the small space were absent.
- kinda tight, but worth itOutoftownerVIPDined on 9/5/2014Seating here is fairly tight, plus you feel a little awkward on arrival because there is no hostess station. The food is decent, fairly classic Italian with some twists...always a matter of preference but personally the pasta needed to be cooked a few minutes longer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a dateJokermonroeDined on 9/5/2014Went here with my girlfriend. Excellent three course menu with delicious choices at appetizer entree and dessert. The fondue was great, chocolate cake to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but...bobbygumbabaDined on 8/31/2014...dismal atmosphere, deafening noise-levels, and worst of all, the service. The waiters are lovely, but the service is so disorganized--our first course was brusquely bussed without a word before we finished eating, then we waited for 30 minutes for the next course. Waited another 30 minutes for dessert. We ordered drinks that never came, and our waters were not even refilled. Meanwhile, we watched one of the waiters chatting with her friends at another table. Pretty aggravating. Will never go back, which is a shame because the food is lovely.
- good italian restaurantNatalyDined on 8/31/2014This was the first restaurant we tried in boston upon our arrival. It was close to our hotel. The food was good but rather expensive. Portions are European sized not US. Service was friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First but not lastdindinyumyumDined on 8/29/2014I was very happy overall with my experience at Grotto. I'd personally prefer a bit more seclusion for that special occasion (which i was on) but still happy with the ambiance and environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ChrisCDined on 8/29/2014Great food! Portions were small but really great quality. The ricotta cheese Gnudi with wild mushrooms was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS !!!!!StephanieDined on 8/28/2014This is our fourth time dining at this restaurant. And I cannot say enough positive things about Grotto. It's tucked away in the beacon hill neighborhood. A basement restaurant which gives you a very cozy feel. And the menu, is dripping with delicious Italian options. This time we had the spinach salad with spiced pecans and goat cheese as well as the arugula salad. For the main course we had pasta bolognese and braised short ribs and gnocchi with Cabernet mushroom sauce. What?!?! Wow and then to top it off we had the chocolate molten cake with homeade vanilla ice cream. This is a must try when in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014The restaurant was hot. They squished us into a corner. The taste of the main dish was awful .
- Love this placeWineanddineDined on 8/27/2014Came here with my mom and LOVED everything about this place. The restaurant is so cute and small intimate dark wooden tables with candles lit. We loved it. The food was to die for. We each did a three course meal and loves all the food we had. The wine and sangria was also great. Will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Freshly prepared and deliciousclbsierraDined on 8/25/2014My husband and I spent our anniversary at Grotto and not only enjoyed the vast selections for a price fixe menu, but the portions were amazing, the food was fresh and hot and the staff very friendly. Delicious! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.