Grotto - Atlantic City
Golden Nugget Hotel, Casino Spa
Huron Ave & Brigantine Blvd.
Atlantic City, NJ 08401Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Grotto - Atlantic City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.grottorestaurants.com/
- Phone: 6094418475
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm Bar/Pizza Only
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, International
- Executive Chef: James Thumhart
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Grotto - Atlantic City
Inspired by classic Southern Italian cooking, Grotto features delicious veal, chicken, seafood and pastas. The breathtaking décor features spectacular hand-blown glass chandeliers, whimsical murals and custom made polished iron scrollwork. Wine connoisseurs will be impressed with the extensive collection of Italian and domestic selections. With our winning combination of impeccable service, superb cuisine and passion for detail, Grotto is the perfect Atlantic City location for Italian dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Grotto - Atlantic City - Best Restaurants in Atlantic City ›
Grotto - Atlantic City reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (19)kid-friendly (10)special occasion (10)romantic (9)late-night find (9)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (5)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)neighborhood gem (2)Show More
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The restaurant is in the middle of the casino noise.But the food was very good.our waiter was outstanding, couldn't have been more accommodating.not for quiet romantic dinner but good for a family, except the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We had dinner at the Grotto and we were very satisfied with the food, service and price of the meal.Special Features:
- Great Food & ServiceLMSJLSDined on 8/10/2014First time trying Grotto and the food was delicious. Great service as well I unfortunately forget our waiters name but he was an older gentleman .. I told him it was my mothers birthday and he brought out our desert with a candle on it for her, without me having to ask. Very relaxed and romantic atmosphere. Will definitely be dining here during my next stay at the Golden Nugget!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good casino spotcrlipkinVIPDined on 8/9/2014We needed a place to eat prior to a show on the deck at the Golden Nugget, and wanted something substantial, other than the greasy bar food served on the deck. So we chose Grotto inside, hoping to have a good italian meal. The food was good, not great, and it was fine for what it was--a decent, moderately priced casino restaurant. Don't go expecting monstrous portions--they're not small, but you won't be taking home a leftover box, either. My eggplant parm was good, served with a nice side of capellini. My friends had chicken marsala, they enjoyed it. The bread served with the meal was a high point--very fresh crusty italian bread with garlicky olive oil. Service was good, and our food came out quickly. We'd return.Special Features:
- Good Italian FoodFoodieMinVIPDined on 8/2/2014Have eaten at Grotto twice. Good, solid Italian food. Not smoky at all even though it was located in the casino. Pizza was great. Family style portions are huge. Two dishes were enough for 4 people.
- Doesn't match the originalgrlassinDined on 7/25/2014Grotto was, and still is a phenomenal restaurant in Houston TX. They just didn't match the original on our recent visit. We're not casino fans, do not like casino energy and the restaurant is right in the casino. Food not up to par with the original and bad ambiance for anyone who is not a fan of casino energy = not coming back. We will go back to Grotto in Houston, which has always been one of our favorites.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Not good. Sorry we chose it. In the middle of the casino floor. Could not have a conversation at our table. Terribly noisy!!!Special Features:
- Excellent Dinner!luscxvDined on 7/19/2014We had the family style Chicken Marsala. It was excellent. Plenty of food. Also, our server Maria was especially good. She helped with the wine selection. Just a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, "meh" locationJennyDined on 7/18/2014Located right in the middle of the casino with no walls separating the restaurant from the slot machines, it was a bit loud and distracting. But, even though I didn't care of the ambiance, the food and wine were fantastic. I definitely recommend the key lime pie for dessert. Would go again if/when I return to the Golden Nugget.
- luvitalianoDined on 7/13/2014Pleased with everything but the slot noise level. The area should have a 2-3 feet glass barrier around the restaurant to buffer some of the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deedaVIPDined on 7/12/2014Food was very good, enjoyable time had by all. If ever in A/C would go back again.Special Features:
- very nicegrottofunDined on 7/11/2014The food was good, but not super. The ambience was very nice. I had a black Russian and I felt the drink was a very short pour. Not too happy with that. The service, however, was outstanding and made this an enjoyable dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Very good food reasonably pricedMrsBDined on 7/9/2014There were 4 in our party and we each ordered a different entrée. Everyone commented on how good the meal was. Two were veal dishes and two chicken. The cheese cake for dessert was excellent. Our Server James was great. The prices for a Casino Hotel restaurant were very reasonable. The restaurant is right off the Casino floor so you do hear some noise from the Casino area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Nice ,but smaller Italian menu. Nice meals. Is loud because in center of casino, but didn't bother us. Was enjoyable.
- Nice place!LFalkVIPDined on 6/19/2014Grotto was excellent! It was our first time and the food and service were awesome! Prices were very reasonable especially for a casino restaurant! Fit for foodies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grotto reviewLovetodineoutVIPDined on 6/12/2014I love this place! They have the best Italian food - the veal parmigiana is out of this world. We tried the clams casino appetizer which was delicious!!! The service is very friendly and prompt. We will be back, just wonderful!!!Special Features:
- Great spotPraneshFoodieDined on 6/11/2014Food menu is impressive and very close to casino floor areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Food16MKDined on 6/11/2014Food was terrible. The Wedding Soup tasted as if the chef or cook went to the bay across the street and got a bucket of baywater and put in the pasta and meat ballsSpecial Features:
- Gambling & GourmetwewillbebackDined on 6/5/2014Grotto, located at the Golden Nugget hotel and casino in Atlantic City, was one of the best culinary experience in recent memory. The reviews, in general, were very good, so we were happy to make a reservation there, and try it out. A great meal, at acceptable prices, and some of the best Italian food I've had in recent memory. You may be turned off that it is in the middle of the casino, but don't be- it's worth the bit of extra noise. Most of their pasta is handmade, on site, as are their sauces and meatballs. Really outstanding texture, flavor, and quality. Attentive, kind, and knowledgeable service. The bar was a bit slow, but my G&T was mixed to perfection. Exquisite bruschetta, and a good range of Italian delicacies for every taste.Special Features:
- Grotto GoodHandRDined on 6/4/2014Got there at 11:30 and the staff greeted us warmly and showed us to our seats immediately. Our server Juan was extremely nice and attentive. Food was good especially the "Chicken Paglia Fieno."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get Lucky at GrottoOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/25/2014We almost always grab a table at Grotto while staying at Golden Nugget. The food is awesome. If there is something in/on the plate u don't prefer(I.e. Mushrooms, onions) just tell server and try can omit it from ur entree We tend to dine later rather than earlier so it is not crowded when we go but that drives me crazy wondering y we don't servers 100% attention if they aren't busy. Anyway, food portions are decent. Wine pours are suffice. Beers are cold and their bread&oils are divine. Stop by grotto you'll like it a LottoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed againOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2014We found the Grotto end of March and loved it. Succeeding visits have been disappointing. In April the chicken in the pasta was like rubber. This past visit a pasta dish with feta in came without feta. Then someone came out and said they ran out of feta and just got some in. AT 8:30 at night?? It appears that there has been a change in the kitchen staff... Also, in April, the wrong wine was delivered... Little things are making this restaurant less and less appealing. We will still go and sit at bar when it is happy hour time. That has always been pleasant and we have enjoyed that food. But it does appear that everytime we sit at the table, something is amiss.
- disappointedbatandwillyDined on 4/27/2014We have eaten at the Grotto several times before and had decent meals for the price. But this time, my husband and I were disappointed. My martini was very good and our server John was quite attentive. However, the caprese salad was missing the usual balsamic drizzle, and our paninis (chicken and steak) were both very short in the meat department (we left a good portion of the bread on our plates). Also, the kitchen was noticeably slower than we remembered. We are undecided if we will return to this particular restaurant.
- Sunday early lunchJenniferVIPDined on 4/27/2014We love this place. We had an early lunch. Just two other tables there and it was about 1 on a Sunday. It is right on the casino floor so you can watch everyone playing slots. It was obvious our waitress did not want to be there and the only other two tables each had an older couple at them. The restaurant was very quiet. Food was great as usual and fast. Been here before with the kids and always a great meal.Special Features:
- Food was greatPapaPizzaDined on 4/24/2014Made reservations for my girl friend's birthday dinner at Grotto. The restaurant was not busy and we were seated right away as we arrived. The food was excellent I love Italian food and had the best Chicken Parmigiana I have had in a long time. The reason for the fair ambiance rating was due to the fact that this place does not have walls and we had to listed to people arguing at the slot machines which were only a few feet away. The reason for the poor service rating was due to our server he was pushy on selling dessert and a discount plan for restaurants that are no place near where we live.Special Features:
- The following 175 reviews are from the Grotto - Atlantic City reviews archive.
- ExcellentKim07Dined on 3/27/2014The food and service was very good!!! Not too pricey Would go againSpecial Features:
- a delightful surprise..OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2014Friends recommended the Grotto to us.. We had a fabulous meal... Everything was perfect.. We are anxious to try more on the menu.Special Features:
- 2nd time there....still great!dinnerb4joshDined on 3/22/2014I took my partner, Mom, Dad, Sister, and Sister's boyfriend to the Grotto this weekend. We had a fantastic time and the food was great as usual! We will definitely continue to frequent this restaurant and recommend it to others. We've brought some of our closest friends and family here and they have all loved it as well. Great food for a great price!Special Features:
- The waiter was fine, the kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014The waiter was fine, the kitchen was slow. He was very apologetic for the long wait for food.
- Despite the price-gougingJoeFDined on 3/8/2014Despite the price-gouging tendencies of casino restaurants, Grotto was relatively reasonable. In addition, the food was very good and service efficient, despite the hectic Saturday night pace. (We had reservations for 2 but, upon our arrival. upped that to 4 without any delay in obtaining our table.) The only draw back is that due to its location in the middle of the gaming area, there is liitle in the way of ambience. Othewise, it is a terrifc place to go.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great timedinnerb4joshDined on 3/8/2014We went during restaurant week and were pleasantly surprised that we could order from the full menu. All of the food was fantastic. The service was great even though it was extremely crowded. Our server hustled big time to make sure everyone was taken care of. My only complaint was that the gelato we ordered for dessert took quite a while to get out to the table and was sub-par at best. In fact, it was almost freezer burned. Overall, though, we had a great experience and would recommend the Grotto to anyone! We would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grotto during restaurant weekluvacDined on 3/8/2014Had dinner at Grotto Saturday night for restaurant week- very disappointing meal, especially for the price: $33 is a little pricey for pasta or chicken. Food was ok, wouldn't go back.
- first of all the food waslennyDined on 3/8/2014first of all the food was very good.our waiter james outstanding.he couldnt have been more helpful.the bus boys were quite attentive to our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!GoodtimerDined on 3/8/2014Our group had a great experience! Waiter was very friendly and attentive. Took him up on his suggestions and we weren't disappointed. Antipasta, rigatoni and veal were delicious! Desserts were to die for! Would go back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 Hour 45 minutes for LUNCHGrottoDined on 3/8/2014Came here for restaurant week. Food was pretty good but it took us 1 Hour and 45 minutes to eat LUNCH. There were just 3 other tables there when we arrived. I have never in my life taken that long to eat lunch, and none of this was our fault. We didnt stay for drinks or anything. This was restaurant week so the foods were pretty much already prepared even. Every other table was waiting as well. Food good, terrible service.
- This was our first visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014This was our first visit to Grottos and we were very pleased with the service and food. James is a very good server. His personality and charm was very nice. The food can out hot and flavorful. We will go back next time we are in Atlantic City. ThanksI would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014I made reservations here expecting a decent meal but was pleasantly suprised with EVERYTHING overall!!! My wife and I absolutely LOVED the food and our service! It was second to none. The quality of the food was magnificent with a home cooked feel. We live about an hour away and we will make sure that we will be repeat customers. FIVE STARS all the way! Top notch restaurant. We were very impressed. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/17/2014My girlfriend and I had a great meal, The service was incredible. The food even better!! The only downside was the closeness of the seating. We had a rude group next to us that tried to dominate the service people. To the credit of your employees they did not let that happen, but it was frustrating to listen to the conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and atmosphereJerseyDDined on 2/15/2014The food is delicious .. the service is great, and we love the atmosphere, open to the excitement of the casino floor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dinerheart913Dined on 2/15/2014This was the first time we ate at Grotto. There were 5 of us celebrating two birthdays. We went to Happy hour prior to our reservation for dinner and the drinks and appetizers were excellent as was the service. We then moved into dinner and everything was perfect from start to finish. They asked if we were celebrating anything and we told them 2 birthdays. When we ordered desserts, they brought two of them with candles and sang happy birthday to the two who were celebrating. We did not ask for this and it was a great ending to a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.