Grotto - Atlantic City
Golden Nugget Hotel, Casino Spa
Huron Ave & Brigantine Blvd.
Atlantic City, NJ 08401Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Grotto - Atlantic City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.grottorestaurants.com/
- Phone: (609) 441-8475
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm Bar/Pizza Only
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, International
- Executive Chef: James Thumhart
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Grotto - Atlantic City
Inspired by classic Southern Italian cooking, Grotto features delicious veal, chicken, seafood and pastas. The breathtaking décor features spectacular hand-blown glass chandeliers, whimsical murals and custom made polished iron scrollwork. Wine connoisseurs will be impressed with the extensive collection of Italian and domestic selections. With our winning combination of impeccable service, superb cuisine and passion for detail, Grotto is the perfect Atlantic City location for Italian dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Grotto - Atlantic City reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (21)special occasion (13)fit for foodies (12)late-night find (7)great for lunch (6)romantic (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (3)neighborhood gem (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Eat in the casinoKathypDined on 11/8/2014if you want to be right in the middle of the action, then Grotto is for you. Located on the casino floor, it is open and you feel like you are in the action. Our server was very good, and the food was okay Italian.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2014Selected the Grotto because of the "bar scene"- well bar half full, restaurant half full, two bartenders and you could not get a drink- or even be recognized "be right with you" or something? The food was good and our server very nice and attentive- But still, your in AC party time and a poor showing!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great timeJerseyDDined on 11/6/2014Had a very nice dinner with some out of town friends. Shared good vibes, laughs, some fettuccini alfredo, and bottle of wine. Service and food were excellent as usual. After dinner we moved it to the bar and had a few Italian Margaritas for dessert!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Secret to Great Italian FoodLillDined on 11/5/2014We all loved our food and our waiter Dave was excellent. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!Themingos107Dined on 11/1/2014Fabulous as always. It's one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent service , especially Keith ,an outstanding server. Always top quality dishes , prepared correctly, nice choice of appetizers. Varied beer and wine selection, great pizzas ,best bruschetta in town .Easy to make reservations, Open Table , etc. Overall a great consistent dining experience , we eat there very often and are never dissapointed!Special Features:
- Another great experience...dinnerb4joshDined on 10/18/2014I've eaten at the Grotto many times and have NEVER had a bad meal. The service has been spotty in the past, but I saw a huge improvement this time around. The food is always very consistent and always very good quality. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/13/2014Another very nice Landry venue. The service was spectaular. Everyone on staff pitches in to ensure a great dining experience. We enjoyed the food very much as well.Special Features:
- disappointingDianeVIPDined on 10/10/2014wedding soup was good. clams with linguini familystyle so full of sand manager only comped entree we left to eat at lilies which was fantastic.poorly handled.server was great
- lousy food, mediocre servicegaryhenkelVIPDined on 10/2/2014my wife is italian, two brothers and a nephew in the italian restaurant business, so maybe we are more particular. started with lousy antipasto plate, lousy meatballs, followed by two entries that we couldn't finish. lots of good restaurants in this town, this is not one of them. very disappointing, given we spend a lot of time at the nugget. guess we head over to harrah's or borgata, their italian restaurants are good
- restaurant in a casinoNyukDined on 9/29/2014Good food and service in the midst of the annoying clanging of a casino. I can only imagine the cacophony when the place is busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceJerseyDDined on 9/11/2014We always enjoy dining at the Grotto when we visit the Golden Nugget. Great atmosphere, wine list & food and always excellent service. We like the family style portioned entrees which are great for sharing and sampling the different specialties when we're with a larger group. After dinner, we're often too stuffed for dessert ... so we just have another Italian margarita instead!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Food excellent. Service outstanding. Highly recommend. Couldn't ask for a better meal and priced rightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to a Pizzeria instead!NewYorkLuVIPDined on 8/23/2014Don't know how they get away with calling this Italian food! The food in local pizzeria is far superior. Service was slow, waiters blamed kitchen staff, managers blamed everyone else. Appetizers were wrong, took forever to replace. The indigestion set in before the sauce hit the table. They would have been better off using ketchup! Rest of the food was bland and unseasoned. Casino prices for supermarket grade Italian food. Frozen would have been better. Never again!
- Great Dining ExperienceitalianfoodieDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I have dined at the Grotto on several occasions since opening. The first time we thought the food was decent. The second and third time it seemed to go downhill. An relative of ours was visiting from Michigan and decided to give it another try. We were extremely pleased with the food and we had an excellent time. I am not sure what changed since our last visit 9 or so months ago, but it seems as if the menu was modified and you had to have changed either your chef or he has finally learned to cook. Our meals were exceptionally well prepared (we ordered 3 different dishes between us as well as 2 different appetizers all of which were delicious) and the service was exceptional. I will definitely come back again.Special Features:
- Special DinnerBBJBDined on 8/23/2014This is the restaurant that we picked to have a special dinner as we like their wine list and the food is fantastic. Waiting staff is superior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeLFalkVIPDined on 8/23/2014I was surprised how good the Grotto actually is! It is inside the middle of the casino but it was really a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodmbh814Dined on 8/16/2014The restaurant is in the middle of the casino noise.But the food was very good.our waiter was outstanding, couldn't have been more accommodating.not for quiet romantic dinner but good for a family, except the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We had dinner at the Grotto and we were very satisfied with the food, service and price of the meal.Special Features:
- Great Food & ServiceLMSJLSDined on 8/10/2014First time trying Grotto and the food was delicious. Great service as well I unfortunately forget our waiters name but he was an older gentleman .. I told him it was my mothers birthday and he brought out our desert with a candle on it for her, without me having to ask. Very relaxed and romantic atmosphere. Will definitely be dining here during my next stay at the Golden Nugget!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good casino spotcrlipkinVIPDined on 8/9/2014We needed a place to eat prior to a show on the deck at the Golden Nugget, and wanted something substantial, other than the greasy bar food served on the deck. So we chose Grotto inside, hoping to have a good italian meal. The food was good, not great, and it was fine for what it was--a decent, moderately priced casino restaurant. Don't go expecting monstrous portions--they're not small, but you won't be taking home a leftover box, either. My eggplant parm was good, served with a nice side of capellini. My friends had chicken marsala, they enjoyed it. The bread served with the meal was a high point--very fresh crusty italian bread with garlicky olive oil. Service was good, and our food came out quickly. We'd return.Special Features:
- Good Italian FoodFoodieMinVIPDined on 8/2/2014Have eaten at Grotto twice. Good, solid Italian food. Not smoky at all even though it was located in the casino. Pizza was great. Family style portions are huge. Two dishes were enough for 4 people.
- The following 195 reviews are from the Grotto - Atlantic City reviews archive.
- Doesn't match the originalgrlassinDined on 7/25/2014Grotto was, and still is a phenomenal restaurant in Houston TX. They just didn't match the original on our recent visit. We're not casino fans, do not like casino energy and the restaurant is right in the casino. Food not up to par with the original and bad ambiance for anyone who is not a fan of casino energy = not coming back. We will go back to Grotto in Houston, which has always been one of our favorites.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Not good. Sorry we chose it. In the middle of the casino floor. Could not have a conversation at our table. Terribly noisy!!!Special Features:
- Excellent Dinner!luscxvVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had the family style Chicken Marsala. It was excellent. Plenty of food. Also, our server Maria was especially good. She helped with the wine selection. Just a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, "meh" locationJennyDined on 7/18/2014Located right in the middle of the casino with no walls separating the restaurant from the slot machines, it was a bit loud and distracting. But, even though I didn't care of the ambiance, the food and wine were fantastic. I definitely recommend the key lime pie for dessert. Would go again if/when I return to the Golden Nugget.
- luvitalianoDined on 7/13/2014Pleased with everything but the slot noise level. The area should have a 2-3 feet glass barrier around the restaurant to buffer some of the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deedaVIPDined on 7/12/2014Food was very good, enjoyable time had by all. If ever in A/C would go back again.Special Features:
- very nicegrottofunDined on 7/11/2014The food was good, but not super. The ambience was very nice. I had a black Russian and I felt the drink was a very short pour. Not too happy with that. The service, however, was outstanding and made this an enjoyable dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Very good food reasonably pricedMrsBDined on 7/9/2014There were 4 in our party and we each ordered a different entrée. Everyone commented on how good the meal was. Two were veal dishes and two chicken. The cheese cake for dessert was excellent. Our Server James was great. The prices for a Casino Hotel restaurant were very reasonable. The restaurant is right off the Casino floor so you do hear some noise from the Casino area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Nice ,but smaller Italian menu. Nice meals. Is loud because in center of casino, but didn't bother us. Was enjoyable.
- Nice place!LFalkVIPDined on 6/19/2014Grotto was excellent! It was our first time and the food and service were awesome! Prices were very reasonable especially for a casino restaurant! Fit for foodies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grotto reviewLovetodineoutVIPDined on 6/12/2014I love this place! They have the best Italian food - the veal parmigiana is out of this world. We tried the clams casino appetizer which was delicious!!! The service is very friendly and prompt. We will be back, just wonderful!!!Special Features:
- Great spotPraneshFoodieDined on 6/11/2014Food menu is impressive and very close to casino floor areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Food16MKDined on 6/11/2014Food was terrible. The Wedding Soup tasted as if the chef or cook went to the bay across the street and got a bucket of baywater and put in the pasta and meat ballsSpecial Features:
- Gambling & GourmetwewillbebackDined on 6/5/2014Grotto, located at the Golden Nugget hotel and casino in Atlantic City, was one of the best culinary experience in recent memory. The reviews, in general, were very good, so we were happy to make a reservation there, and try it out. A great meal, at acceptable prices, and some of the best Italian food I've had in recent memory. You may be turned off that it is in the middle of the casino, but don't be- it's worth the bit of extra noise. Most of their pasta is handmade, on site, as are their sauces and meatballs. Really outstanding texture, flavor, and quality. Attentive, kind, and knowledgeable service. The bar was a bit slow, but my G&T was mixed to perfection. Exquisite bruschetta, and a good range of Italian delicacies for every taste.Special Features:
- Grotto GoodHandRDined on 6/4/2014Got there at 11:30 and the staff greeted us warmly and showed us to our seats immediately. Our server Juan was extremely nice and attentive. Food was good especially the "Chicken Paglia Fieno."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get Lucky at GrottoOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/25/2014We almost always grab a table at Grotto while staying at Golden Nugget. The food is awesome. If there is something in/on the plate u don't prefer(I.e. Mushrooms, onions) just tell server and try can omit it from ur entree We tend to dine later rather than earlier so it is not crowded when we go but that drives me crazy wondering y we don't servers 100% attention if they aren't busy. Anyway, food portions are decent. Wine pours are suffice. Beers are cold and their bread&oils are divine. Stop by grotto you'll like it a LottoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed againOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2014We found the Grotto end of March and loved it. Succeeding visits have been disappointing. In April the chicken in the pasta was like rubber. This past visit a pasta dish with feta in came without feta. Then someone came out and said they ran out of feta and just got some in. AT 8:30 at night?? It appears that there has been a change in the kitchen staff... Also, in April, the wrong wine was delivered... Little things are making this restaurant less and less appealing. We will still go and sit at bar when it is happy hour time. That has always been pleasant and we have enjoyed that food. But it does appear that everytime we sit at the table, something is amiss.
- disappointedbatandwillyDined on 4/27/2014We have eaten at the Grotto several times before and had decent meals for the price. But this time, my husband and I were disappointed. My martini was very good and our server John was quite attentive. However, the caprese salad was missing the usual balsamic drizzle, and our paninis (chicken and steak) were both very short in the meat department (we left a good portion of the bread on our plates). Also, the kitchen was noticeably slower than we remembered. We are undecided if we will return to this particular restaurant.