Grit & Grace
535 Liberty Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Grit & Grace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://gritandgracepgh.com/
- Phone: 4122814748x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dim Sum, Global, International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: 8 person mezzanine private dining
- Private Party Contact: Marissa Gulas 7242558970x
A word from Grit & Grace
Grit & Grace, globally inspired small plates and American Dim Sum, served in an upbeat, social atmosphere. Full bar menu, communal and traditional dining options. Open for lunch, dinner and late night dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Grit & Grace - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Grit & Grace reviews from OpenTable diners
248 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (212)hot spot (112)special occasion (79)romantic (65)vibrant bar scene (62)neighborhood gem (57)good for groups (43)great for lunch (37)late-night find (33)great for outdoor dining (24)notable wine list (22)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fun ExperiencePastaman1Dined on 9/16/2014Nice decor and interesting menu. Perhaps need a few more staple items like another chicken item, vegetarian and larger noodle serving.Special Features:
- Great Food Would Def RecommendOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014My fiance and I stopped here during a weekend trip from out of town, and we loved the food. We had 4 different dishes, a dim sum plate, and a desert. They were all great. Arctic char, beef Shank biscuits, heirloom tomato sampler, scallops, smoked pork belly dim sum, and flourless brownie. All great.Special Features:
- Had a great evening here!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014My meal here got off to a fantastic start with the dim sum. They had a variety of interesting options, which were ideal for sharing, and at only $5 each made for the perfect appetizers/amuse-bouches. I definitely recommend the pork belly, it was phenomenal. For a main course, I had the Arctic char, which had a lot of exciting, unexpected flavors. I loved the subtle cherry and pistachio combination that kept my palette guessing. The fish was cooked beautifully, and it was served with probably the best kale that I have ever tasted (sorry mom!) I'd recommend this as a good date spot, or for a late night cocktail with friends if you are feeling sophisticated - the bar had a nice vibe! I will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Great Asian flavors, very well executed. Best if you want to sample and share. The food just comes when it's ready so it can be awkward for one persons dish to come if you aren't intending on sharing. Then that person is eating while everyone else waits. Also request a booth. The tall tables are very close to each other and the benches were a little uncomfortable. But all in all - great place. We will def go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's the rush?DiningDivaVIPDined on 9/8/2014I wanted my friend to experience the fun of Grit & Grace, hearing all about the unusual combinations that somehow end up tasting fantastic. Our waiter didn't explain things the way that previous waiters had, and he rushed us all evening. I barely put down my fork, and he whisked my plate away. We asked for coffee, and he brought only one. He never checked on refills, and when we asked, it took forever with regular brought instead of decaf. By the time they finally brought the decaf, we didn't want it anymore. I love the "dirt" for dessert, and this waiter didn't even call it that or describe the components. I was very disappointed in him, even though the food was delicious. I don't understand what the hurry was on a Monday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodgrooveDined on 9/8/2014good place for lunch - interesting sandwiches. The wait staff was really nice, bartender, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not authentic at allOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014The ramen is so far off from the real deal. Very disappointed.
- Great food, but....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014The food here is tremendous. However, the way the food is ordered and comes out takes a little getting used to. Once you figure out how the dining experience works, it is a fun and completely satisfying experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and MissCanadianfoodieDined on 8/31/2014Dishes were creative, but some worked much better than others. Best hits were the pork bites and confit chicken wings. Misses included a ham and broccoli starter that had too little ham and ended up mostly tasteless and an eggplant dish that had too little eggplant, and again, not quite enough oomph. Other reviews overhype the rib-on-a-biscuit dish which was just OK.Special Features:
- Great choices and well preparedLuv2dineDined on 8/29/2014Place was excellent. Pork belly was great. Kimchi was well made. All entrees were good and the small plates were well thought out. The only thing that was a bust was the dessert, we had the house made "dirt" yeah that's what it was called. Though it did not taste like dirt it was not to par with the rest of the meal, and the other options were not impressive as well. Everything besides dessert was great thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/27/2014this is the place for tasty clean eating. I enjoyed my meal immensely. Not what I expected. I thought it was going to be a down home cheesy grits kind of place. Pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunch spotSnackmasterDined on 8/27/2014Good noodle bowls. Interesting Dim Sum. Nice setting includes some sidewalk seating.Special Features:
- Great Lunch Spot in town!nofon4uDined on 8/26/2014This was my first time eating at this location. One of the best parts about the menu is the fact that you can try so many different items in one visit. The dim sum items are ready to go to pick off the tray and were the highlight as you can easily choose from five or six dishes to try. The main menu has a mix of small plates and more hearty portioned meals. If you are looking for a fast lunch reasonably priced then this is a no-brainer. The food is fast and quality is superb. You can find light lunch items and more hearty items depending what you are in the mood for. I recommend the pig face sandwich, and the smoked brisket sandwich which were some of the best bites of the evening. Great and knowledgeable bartenders/servers.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceBizdinerVIPDined on 8/26/2014I have now eaten at Grit and Grace twice and it's an excellent experience. The food is very creative, the staff is very helpful and knowledgeable, and the menu is fun. It's great to go with a group of people and order a bunch of dishes and share them. You've got to be a little adventurous here but it's worth it. I highly recommend this place for an all around awesome dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SERENDIPITOUS6burghfoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014Dining at Grit and Grace was the most amazing experience. I was reluctant to visit the restaurant since the menu was very different from any place I have dined. After canceling my reservation once, I decided to take the leap and give Grit and Grace a try. WOW...the food was an explosion of flavor from the Dim Sum appetizer right on through the dessert! There are large plates or smaller plates...something to address every appetite. The scallops were done perfectly. The plate is dressed with a mustard bread pudding that is absolutely delicious. The bar is extensive with lots of drink choices. The bar tender's creations are unique in the presentations. I sampled several and was not disappointed. Grit and Grace.. a perfect dining balance.Special Features:
- DreamGirl17JulyRNDined on 8/24/2014The wait staff was amazing! The food was superb! This everything I love about great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodlteatDined on 8/21/2014The food and service were outstanding. The noise level is unacceptable. They should seriously consider installing material to deal with the poor acoustics of the space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good and interesting foodMSFoodieDined on 8/20/2014Food was inventive and interesting, besides tasting delicious! Only issue was the small plates that you had to eat off of. Too small, food slipped off the sides, made a mess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!DML7Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent food with good service. Nicole is an awesome hostess!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food & service.IfromphillyDined on 8/19/2014Each dish had a distinctive taste-delicious! We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic and refreshingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Ambiance is relaxed with a new dining style. Enjoyed the dim sum serving style with delicious dinner plates. For anyone who likes pub style food with a twist.Special Features:
- Fun & delicious!KtscottiDined on 8/15/2014Went here with friends and really enjoyed it. We had dim sum so we got to try many different things and then shared our dinners also. everything was great! I'd go back.Special Features:
- Delicious plates @ Grit & Gracefoodiegal13Dined on 8/15/2014My boyfriend and I attended Grit & Grace during Pittsburgh Restaurant Week. The waitstaff was pleasant, polite, and happily offered their suggestions when I asked for opinions on dishes. The drinks were delicious and came out in a timely manner. The dim sum was very good - we ordered the pork belly bites, salmon with creme fraiche, and chicken liver mousse. I will say that the mousse was fairly salty, so I only had a taste. We also ate the pork face roulade, short rib buns and scallop entree. Overall, we had a very good time, and I can see myself returning to the restaurant.Special Features:
- Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014I think the food is wonderful! However when my party of three was walked by two open booths and brought to the back right next to entrance to the kitchen I knew we were in trouble. We had reservations through Opentable. The hostesses and waitress were so rude and we were overcharged. The food is great but the staff almost made the food taste bad.Special Features:
- Food excellent but...kkeatsDined on 8/14/2014The many courses and wine we experienced throughout our visit were all fabulous. What took away from our dining experience however was the server. When we arrived at 5 PM for our reservation the restaurant was empty and she hovered over our table incessantly. I explained that we wanted some time and weren't in a hurry. We had already ordered some food and were eating at this point. She continued to hover over our table constantly interrupting our conversation asking if she can get us anything. The busser would top off our water every time we took a sip. At this point our server had other tables but just wasn't understanding our request to give us a bit of space. It totally ruined our dining experience unfortunately.Special Features:
- a gem in downtown PittMotorfoodieVIPDined on 8/13/2014unique food prepared perfectly in a modern restaurant. I recommend this eatery without reservation.Special Features:
- Very coolLynnRubeDined on 8/13/2014Enjoyed Grit & Grace - first time at the restaurant so we shared dimsum, then a salad and the scallops - all were excellent. Wine list was ok - not stellarSpecial Features:
- FantasticCarolinagirlDined on 8/13/2014This was our first time eating at Grit & Grace, and dinner was fantastic! I was so intrigued by the different wines that I had to order two different ones -Verdejo and Vinho Verde - both were GREAT! We started out with the headcheese, smoked salmon and soba noodles/tofu (can't remember actual name) dim sum plates - all we both loved. Then, we ordered the short rib small plates. The ribs were incredibly tender and flavorful served on the best biscuits I've eaten! Then, we both ordered our dinner plates of braised goat - goat was tender and potatoes were seasoned well! All in all, the entire experience was one we will definitely repeat. I loved it from the time I entered to the time I left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Asian FusionLaurenODined on 8/13/2014Had a wonderful dinner date there with my husband. The dishes were inventive & delicious. Love the vibe and we will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Dim Sum and Small PlatesJennDined on 8/12/2014We tried all five dim sum the night we dined, and liked 4/5. I wouldn't order the steak tartare again - it was rather bland, and an uncomfortable temperature; it seemed to be weirdly warm for a raw dish, which I didn't like. Definitely try the pork belly bites. We shared the steam buns and short rib on biscuits which were both outstanding. The chicken meatball ramen was fine, but the noodles were slightly mealy like they'd been soaking in the broth a bit too long; I would stick to a noodle house for my ramen cravings for sure. Dessert was the "dirt", a salted caramel pudding with beet jelle' which added a needed tartness- delicious. Overall, things were above average and we would return to try a few more menu items. Decor is gorgeous.
- Good but no bargain for Rest. weekLilaDined on 8/12/2014We had dinner here for restaurant week. The "offer" was not in keeping with the spirit of the week- it saved us about $6-8 for a table of three. On the other hand, the food was delicious and the service was very good. There may be more very unusual options that don't appeal to the less adventurous than is necessary ....Special Features:
- Worth a TryItzmedannyDined on 8/11/2014This isn't my first time and won't be my last. I always enjoys the food because it never disappoints. Service is always a little odd no matter if you sit at the bar or in the dining area. I feel like it's a little slow, (5-10 min to be greeted) and they seem a bit overwhelmed. The servers are extremely knowledgable though, and I like that the food comes out as it is ready. Although we didn't have any drinks this time, the cocktails are absolutely my favorite part of this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative cuisineCarolVIPDined on 8/10/2014The menu and the dim sum offerings were very creative. We were seeking someplace different to entertain out-of-town guests. Grit and Grace was a good choice. The food was excellent, the server was good and the atmosphere was appealing. Many of the dishes are designed to be shared. We had plenty of food and the bill was surprisingly low.Special Features:
- A little disappointedmamahawkDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I were very excited to try this place after hearing about it for so long, but we were a little disappointed with our meal. The short ribs with the biscuit was amazing and we'd go back for that, but the seafood sausage was too salty and left a terrible after taste in our mouthes. Service was excellent though. Probably would go back for drinks and short ribs, but that's about it.Special Features:
- Great concept, executed well!!FineDiningSearcherVIPDined on 8/7/2014Arrived for a pre-theater dinner, and advised our server of out time constraints and did the staff execute! Beverages arrived promptly while we pondered the menu Since it was our first visit, we ordered multiple small and large plates to share. Without exception, all the food was tasty, eclectic, warm and well conceived and prepared. The four of us raved about the food and are definitely headed back!!! Food may be a bit novel to the typical Pittsburgh market of all you can eat, but many will enjoy the wonderful combinations....Special Features:
- Great addition downtownwc15301VIPDined on 8/7/2014We were impressed by the very knowledgeable and helpful server who guided us through our first visit. The menu was a little overwhelming initially but we were encouraged to try one or two things and order something else later. That worked quite well. I expected the dim sum server to return which did not happen. I was ready to try another portion once I felt more comfortable. Be adventurous with the menu, but I suggest getting a booth if you can to be comfortable. ENJOY!!Special Features:
- Sophisticated and deliciousEternalfoodieDined on 8/5/2014The decor in this restaurant is very sleek and sophisticated. We were seated at a booth table away from the bar but the noise level was still a bit intrusive. Otherwise the evening was delightful. We shared a couple of the dim sum dishes and then two larger plates. All were exceptional, particularly the scallops. Service was attentive but not hovering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed out of town guestsPhoebeDined on 8/4/2014G&G had been on my 'to try' list for ages. We finally went when some friends from NYC came to visit. We were all very impressed with the food, decor, and service. I highly recommend this place for groups of friends. My boyfriend and I will certainly be back for some romantic dinners. My only complaint was that we were some of the later diners and weren't informed that we wouldn't get a second chance at the dim sum. If we had known that we would have taken more on the first go-round.Special Features:
- Tourists looking for the uniqueKennyDined on 8/4/2014In Pittsburgh for a few days and found G&G online with good reviews. As it was only a couple blocks from our hotel, we gave it a shot and were not disappointed. Even though our server was new with G&G, he did well and will improve. The food was very good, call it twisted Asian. For starters, my SO had the carrot salad, while I did the iceberg. Figured if they could make iceberg interesting, it was. For entrees, she had the scallops and I had the flank steak noodles. We had a couple of the dim sum, which were also good, including the pork bites and smoked tofu with soba. Not quite what I would call dim sum, but no need to debate semantics. Cocktails were good. I like the communal bench seating. Staff attentive and having a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably Better for Happy HourMistyDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I had dinner there before a show. The food was delicious, but we stuck to small plates and dim sum, which is why I feel like this would be a great place for drinks with friends. Some of our favorites were the beef tartare and short rib biscuits.Special Features: