Grille No. 43
28800 N Waukegan
Lake Bluff, IL 60044Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grille No. 43
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://grilleno43.com/
- Phone: 8472347643
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday:11:00am - 2:00pm;
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Khammy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Grille No. 43
You'll love our comfortable atmosphere, great unique menu and attention to detail!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Grille No. 43 - Best Restaurants in Lake Bluff ›
Grille No. 43 reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)great for lunch (20)fit for foodies (16)special occasion (7)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (5)romantic (5)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- A Repeat for SureTouchedbyjulesDined on 9/13/2014Great service..outstanding food..dont forget to try the Chicken43..it was fantastic! We will return for sure! DELISH!Special Features:
- DavidAlexVIPDined on 9/2/2014The bartender / manager David was awesome. He recommended my wine & dinner and both were exceptional. Happy to see such a knowledgable manager running such a cute/cozy place. Loved it! Will recommend. Thanks David.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise!IreneVIPDined on 8/29/2014Wow I booked this through Open Table because it was close to my previous appointment. I was so surprised that this was so great! Our serve was relatively new from Cincinnati and he was very helpful and cheerful. My friend and I hadn't seen each other for a year and we had such a great time.Special Features:
- Not up to it's usual parOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014I had been having Grille 43 withdrawals and thus we decided to go there on Saturday night. On occasion, I'll order a cosmo and I usually like theirs but it was flat; I think it was missing lime. I always get the 43 Chop salad and it, too, was disappointing. I didn't look closely enough at it before I tossed everything and dug in so I can't really say what the problem was. I remember thinking it was kinda soupy. Not sure what's up.Special Features:
- Monday Night DinnerWheninRome16Dined on 8/18/2014Busier than we expected, but this did not cause any delay in service. Our party of 8 thoroughly enjoyed our meals, ranging from a Tuscan pasta dish (one with chicken, one without) to duck (a generous serving, with a peach/orange sauce that was a tad too sweet for the diner), hanger steak (with a chimi sauce - delish!), a burger (topped with crispy fried onions - um!), and a strip steak special. The drunken shrimp appetizer was a hit. The only disappointment was the crab cake - flavorless, lacking a nice crust and luke warm. $11.50 for a martini seemed a bit steep. Waitress was very attentive and knew the menu, ingredients and preparation well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Fine MealReliableDined on 8/2/2014We chose Grille 43 for its consistently good food, great service, and locality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh...but not in a bad waywizzo45Dined on 8/1/2014One of those restaurants where there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, but also nothing special. Quality service, very unrushed. Food was very good, if unspectacular. Will certainly return, but not in a rush to do so. Worth a trip, but nothing magical.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slight disappointment this timeLilyTheValleyVIPDined on 8/1/2014We went out for dinner, and experienced slight disappointment comparing to the several other visits. I had given 5 starts for their food because all the dishes I have tried in the past were beyond expectation from a small restaurant located in a quiet corner of major streets. We ordered all today's specials, and I just could not give 5 starts for any of them.... I will give a credit to the chef though that the request to put as little batter as possible to tempura was accepted and he deep fried in perfection. I will visit them again for lunch, but maybe not for dinner.... Despite all I said above, their food is decent. Don't take it wrong:-)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014service as great, food was good but nothing special and pretty expensive, dining room is very small and very loud to have a lunch meeting (which is why i was there )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014We enjoyed our selections and had excellent service. Plus, we could talk without straining to hear one another. That is a real plus for me and for my dinner partner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NatalieDined on 6/26/2014The desert they gave us for our anniversary was great. All the food we had was amazing. I think our waitress had my meat down as medium rare instead of medium well because it was very pink and she seemed very distracted all night. The gentleman that cleared our plates was fantastic and all the ball with refills and bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise findLuvgdfdDined on 6/17/2014We have lived in the north suburbs for quite some time but had never ventured north of Lake Forest on Waukegan road for food. We were celebrating a young friend's birthday and he suggested Grille 43 because he lives in Lake Bluff. What a pleasant surprise! Delicious food, prompt and pleasant service, and a conversation friendly atmosphere. What go again in a heartbeat. But not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch cuisinebaatkarloDined on 6/4/2014Business lunch oriented, great tasting items on lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 173 reviews are from the Grille No. 43 reviews archive.
- Pleasantly Suprisedmomof2Dined on 5/21/2014We went on Wednesday during the lunch hour and the I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious the food was. It is a very small restaurant but they make the space work for them. My only complaint would have been that our waitress while very friendly was not very attentive but it appeared she was having to cover a large portion of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Good FoodpeptoitVIPDined on 5/16/2014The food is wonderfully prepared and the menu specials change frequently. There is little ambience but it's great for a neighborhood restaurant. The service is good when not to crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodKimberlyDined on 5/16/2014We are never disappointed with the food and service at Grille 43! The staff couldn't be friendlier or more accommodating, and the food is always outstanding. However when the restaurant is busy it is way too noisy. The other night we were with friends and we were trying to yell above all the noise and could barely hear each other talk. If there is anything they could try to do with the acoustics it would be perfect. It truly is a great restaurant, if they could only do something with the noise level. The good news for them is they are always packed on the weekends since the food is so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner in unlikely locationSaturdayNiteDinerDined on 5/11/2014The exterior of the building located in a parking lot does not do justice to the dining experience. The food is great and very fresh tasting. A little on pricy side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced brunchNerfmanDined on 5/11/2014We had a party of nine for brunch yesterday and had been to the restaurant in the past for dinner. The brunch was disappointing because it was expensive and there were limited food selections for both kids and adults. At $45 and $20 for adults and kids I would have expected a much broader selection of food like an omelet bar, scrambled eggs in a warming dish and hard boiled eggs. Also, the selection for kids was horrible and nothing really catered to their simple tastes. The manager could have had a selection of cereals and more kid friendly items. I will not return for brunch even if the prices were higher due to it being Monther's Day. The service was great and prompt but they did take forever to clear our plates.
- Not for brunchanonymousDined on 5/11/2014I have been to this restaurant several times and been quite happy with the experience. This was the first time I had been there for brunch. I was disappointed in the food and appalled at the price.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/3/2014Awesome Vietnamese spring rolls and sliders. Server was excellent! Very nice beer selection on tap.Special Features:
- Daily grindSec2guruDined on 5/1/2014Great place for lunch or to unwind. Food is always fantastic with great flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great North Shore find!RichardVIPDined on 4/24/2014We had great food and wonderful service. The salads were fresh and delicious and the entrees were cooked to perfection!Special Features:
- Don't bring your kids to brunchMelvinDined on 4/20/2014Brunch too expensive for small kids - unless your child is starving, they won't eat $20 worth of brunch buffet.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/18/2014You can count on a wonderful meal whenever you visit Grille 43. The food is delicious and the choices are well proportioned, not overwhelming which leaves room for an appetizer- the Chicken Satay and Seared Ahi Tuna are favorites, or/and a dessert. The soups are complex and rich in flavor perfect for a cold day. The mussels are the best and the chef should contemplate turning this into a main entrée. The crab cake special was very satisfying, with delicate flavor from the rice and cherry tomatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the place but too noisy.KathyDined on 4/11/2014Love the place but too noisy. I would go there more often but hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The appetizer consisting ofMarch31VisitDined on 3/31/2014The appetizer consisting of drunken shrimp and scallops was great. our steaks were cooked to order and delicious. The cheesecake was probably the worst I have ever had (one bite) so I don't recommend desert. The staff was professional, friendly and very accommodating. Overall a very nice dinner, the desert may have been a one-off so don't let that turn you away. I will dine at Grille #43 again,...just not for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The night we were there, thereNewtVIPDined on 3/25/2014The night we were there, there happened to be a group of about 10-12 younger people only drinking in the dining room and they were really loud, so a dinner with the wife was not so good since hearing each other was very difficult.....................but what can the restaurant do about that, however, they occupied lots of seats in the dining area and bought no food, so maybe not so good for the restaurant?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch or dinnerKappyDined on 3/19/2014I've had lunch here several times, and it never disappoints. It's near my office not home, so I've yet to have dinner here. I suspect that it's just as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeEldelVIPDined on 3/18/2014Great food and service despite how busy they were. Nice that they have specials during the week. Complimentary valet was nice as there is little parking. Nice wine list and variety of food.Special Features:
- Our first time there , veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/18/2014Our first time there , very impressed. Generous portions. Very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findGreenOaksFoodyDined on 3/15/2014I've been meaning to try this restaurant out and a "ladies night out" was the ticket. I had the special, grouper, which was excellent. My friend had salad, also excellent. A few things to "warn" about - parking is tight so there is only valet parking, which is free. The restaurant is small so expect to feel a bit crowded. Prices are on the high side, appetizers 10-17, salads 13-15, entrees 21-34, burgers/sandwiches 11-19. But overall, I'd say this place is worth a try. The food was better than I thought it would be, especially in a place right next to a gas station. It was busy/popular, so the rest of the menu must be pretty good! Reservations a must after 6:30pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale local findOver35Dined on 3/14/2014The staff is accommodating and friendly. Food was very good although noise level from bar is something to contend with. Parking is limited to valet, but they do a nice job. For a very good meal at reasonable, but not low cost, price, close to home, definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale - Excellent Food & Servicedav1988Dined on 3/10/2014Grill 43 has a very upscale menu and great "white table cloth" service and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair Food, Failing ServiceCalamustardVIPDined on 2/21/2014The food is good, fairly priced, well presented, even if menu is short. We are a couple, we wanted to try Grille 43 after driving by often and reading good reviews. Service was miserable, start to finish: a 10-minute wait for the waitress's first visit, lack of serving utensils and fresh plates for a shared appetizer plate, wine never topped off and one of our glasses taken away before we had finished the meal (?!), no water refills, and no interest in replacing used knives, side plates, and silverware. We had to ask our waitress for everything, and then gave up! Skipped dessert and coffee. I informed the manager of the poor service on exiting (left low low tip), and was told she was among their best, before "sorry." Seriously? Bye!Special Features:
- Great grillDavehDined on 2/14/2014The fixed price menu for Valentines Day was a great idea. Service was fast and accurate. Food was hot when it came to the table. A very nice eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait staffSnowDined on 2/1/2014What is most outstanding about this restaurant is the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeIJD333Dined on 1/30/2014I was here with a group of four work colleagues and we all loved it. The drunken shrimp appetizer was fantastic, and I had a Scottish Salmon special which was fantastic as well. The food is not too simple and not too fancy... just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good dinner with serviceBubblesDined on 1/25/2014Very good dinner with service to match. We thought it was a bit pricey. Every thing is ala carte and sides are priced high. for 37. 00 for a 14 ounce bone in Rib eye served with nothing is a little steep. Makes it hard to consider eating there often: more of a special occasion.Special Features:
- Fantastic!ChelleDined on 1/25/2014Food was great, service perfect - attentive but not annoying!Special Features:
- GUS LIKES IT!SnowDined on 1/24/2014My oldest grandson who likes to eat, really likes The Grille and if he's happy we are all happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.