Grille No. 43
28800 N Waukegan
Lake Bluff, IL 60044Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grille No. 43
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://grilleno43.com/
- Phone: 8472347643
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday:11:00am - 2:00pm;
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Khammy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Grille No. 43
You'll love our comfortable atmosphere, great unique menu and attention to detail!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Grille No. 43 - Best Restaurants in Lake Bluff ›
Grille No. 43 reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)great for lunch (22)fit for foodies (19)romantic (7)good for groups (7)hot spot (7)notable wine list (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)special occasion (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- a local favoritedaviDined on 10/29/2014We live near Grille 43, and it's become one of our favorite places to go for great buyers, the scallop and shrimp appetizer, and wonderful service. The cocktails are generous, as are the wine pours, and the staff both cares about your experience and remembers you. It's a great addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Good stuffMattDined on 10/28/2014The food was good and the place was clean enjoyed it very much. The only thing I would say it was a pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS GREAT!!!ChicagoManDined on 10/25/2014Every time I go to Grille No. 43 I remember why I like it so much. The food is always amazing and have never had a bad time. The staff is great and walk out very happy every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had another great meal heredining50sDined on 10/24/2014Had the roma burger and provencal burger, they were excellent, very tasty with the unique toppings. The asian chicken salad and chopped salads were excellent as well. This restaurant is always busy and the food is the reason. Definitely will come back. The service was fast and efficient, never had to ask for a refill or the check.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/23/2014What a quaint small with excellent menu options restaurant. Fine chef. Service was prompt and considerate. A small diamond in the rough. Not many nice places like this in the area. Would recommend for a nice simple gathering. Enjoy!
- Great neighborhood restaurantDLROVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food here is always great and the service is friendly and very professional. We've eaten here quite a bit and it is always a great experience.Special Features:
- 3timesandyourareoutVIPDined on 10/9/2014The Grille No.43 is inconsistent in preparing food. Our first visit, shortly after they opened, had fish grilled outside that was inedible. Even the second time it was presented to us. A few years later friends said it had improved. Several returned visits eating at the bar from the bar menu, which included sliders was delicious. This night in the dining area, the cook couldn't cook the hamburger unless it was overly well done rather than medium rare. Fortunately the manager didn't charge us for it. The drinks are very well prepared.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre ambiance, great food!foodie2beDined on 10/5/2014The food was incredibly delicious! I was dining with a group of coworkers and a potential new client, and everyone said their food was great. Nice beer selection, and then we shared a bottle of wine which was also decent. Our server was quirky, but extremely knowledgeable and attentive. My only small complaint is that it's very small inside, and the layout and decor make you feel like you're in a hotel restaurant. At first sight, I did not think much of my restaurant selection, but the service and food completely proved me wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lake Bluff gemrong626VIPDined on 10/4/2014What a find! We "happened" onto this bar a month or so ago, wandered in, sat in a small dining room, pleasant & simple. Menu includes apps, sandwiches and complete meals. The food is good, some with an asian flare, great presentation. Middle prices, but well worth it. We've been back several times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining for North SuburbsDiningoutVIPDined on 9/25/2014Entrees were nothing out of the ordinary but was tasty and nicely presented. A good place to dine if you happen to live nearby or be in the area. I wouldn't make a special trip for those coming in from Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Repeat for SureTouchedbyjulesVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great service..outstanding food..dont forget to try the Chicken43..it was fantastic! We will return for sure! DELISH!Special Features:
- DavidAlexVIPDined on 9/2/2014The bartender / manager David was awesome. He recommended my wine & dinner and both were exceptional. Happy to see such a knowledgable manager running such a cute/cozy place. Loved it! Will recommend. Thanks David.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise!IreneVIPDined on 8/29/2014Wow I booked this through Open Table because it was close to my previous appointment. I was so surprised that this was so great! Our serve was relatively new from Cincinnati and he was very helpful and cheerful. My friend and I hadn't seen each other for a year and we had such a great time.Special Features:
- Not up to it's usual parBargainHunterDined on 8/22/2014I had been having Grille 43 withdrawals and thus we decided to go there on Saturday night. On occasion, I'll order a cosmo and I usually like theirs but it was flat; I think it was missing lime. I always get the 43 Chop salad and it, too, was disappointing. I didn't look closely enough at it before I tossed everything and dug in so I can't really say what the problem was. I remember thinking it was kinda soupy. Not sure what's up.Special Features:
- Monday Night DinnerWheninRome16Dined on 8/18/2014Busier than we expected, but this did not cause any delay in service. Our party of 8 thoroughly enjoyed our meals, ranging from a Tuscan pasta dish (one with chicken, one without) to duck (a generous serving, with a peach/orange sauce that was a tad too sweet for the diner), hanger steak (with a chimi sauce - delish!), a burger (topped with crispy fried onions - um!), and a strip steak special. The drunken shrimp appetizer was a hit. The only disappointment was the crab cake - flavorless, lacking a nice crust and luke warm. $11.50 for a martini seemed a bit steep. Waitress was very attentive and knew the menu, ingredients and preparation well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Fine MealReliableDined on 8/2/2014We chose Grille 43 for its consistently good food, great service, and locality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh...but not in a bad waywizzo45Dined on 8/1/2014One of those restaurants where there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, but also nothing special. Quality service, very unrushed. Food was very good, if unspectacular. Will certainly return, but not in a rush to do so. Worth a trip, but nothing magical.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slight disappointment this timeLilyTheValleyVIPDined on 8/1/2014We went out for dinner, and experienced slight disappointment comparing to the several other visits. I had given 5 starts for their food because all the dishes I have tried in the past were beyond expectation from a small restaurant located in a quiet corner of major streets. We ordered all today's specials, and I just could not give 5 starts for any of them.... I will give a credit to the chef though that the request to put as little batter as possible to tempura was accepted and he deep fried in perfection. I will visit them again for lunch, but maybe not for dinner.... Despite all I said above, their food is decent. Don't take it wrong:-)Special Features:
- The following 178 reviews are from the Grille No. 43 reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014service as great, food was good but nothing special and pretty expensive, dining room is very small and very loud to have a lunch meeting (which is why i was there )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014We enjoyed our selections and had excellent service. Plus, we could talk without straining to hear one another. That is a real plus for me and for my dinner partner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NatalieDined on 6/26/2014The desert they gave us for our anniversary was great. All the food we had was amazing. I think our waitress had my meat down as medium rare instead of medium well because it was very pink and she seemed very distracted all night. The gentleman that cleared our plates was fantastic and all the ball with refills and bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise findLuvgdfdDined on 6/17/2014We have lived in the north suburbs for quite some time but had never ventured north of Lake Forest on Waukegan road for food. We were celebrating a young friend's birthday and he suggested Grille 43 because he lives in Lake Bluff. What a pleasant surprise! Delicious food, prompt and pleasant service, and a conversation friendly atmosphere. What go again in a heartbeat. But not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch cuisinebaatkarloDined on 6/4/2014Business lunch oriented, great tasting items on lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly Suprisedmomof2Dined on 5/21/2014We went on Wednesday during the lunch hour and the I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious the food was. It is a very small restaurant but they make the space work for them. My only complaint would have been that our waitress while very friendly was not very attentive but it appeared she was having to cover a large portion of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Good FoodpeptoitVIPDined on 5/16/2014The food is wonderfully prepared and the menu specials change frequently. There is little ambience but it's great for a neighborhood restaurant. The service is good when not to crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodKimberlyDined on 5/16/2014We are never disappointed with the food and service at Grille 43! The staff couldn't be friendlier or more accommodating, and the food is always outstanding. However when the restaurant is busy it is way too noisy. The other night we were with friends and we were trying to yell above all the noise and could barely hear each other talk. If there is anything they could try to do with the acoustics it would be perfect. It truly is a great restaurant, if they could only do something with the noise level. The good news for them is they are always packed on the weekends since the food is so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner in unlikely locationSaturdayNiteDinerDined on 5/11/2014The exterior of the building located in a parking lot does not do justice to the dining experience. The food is great and very fresh tasting. A little on pricy side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced brunchNerfmanDined on 5/11/2014We had a party of nine for brunch yesterday and had been to the restaurant in the past for dinner. The brunch was disappointing because it was expensive and there were limited food selections for both kids and adults. At $45 and $20 for adults and kids I would have expected a much broader selection of food like an omelet bar, scrambled eggs in a warming dish and hard boiled eggs. Also, the selection for kids was horrible and nothing really catered to their simple tastes. The manager could have had a selection of cereals and more kid friendly items. I will not return for brunch even if the prices were higher due to it being Monther's Day. The service was great and prompt but they did take forever to clear our plates.
- Not for brunchanonymousDined on 5/11/2014I have been to this restaurant several times and been quite happy with the experience. This was the first time I had been there for brunch. I was disappointed in the food and appalled at the price.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/3/2014Awesome Vietnamese spring rolls and sliders. Server was excellent! Very nice beer selection on tap.Special Features:
- Daily grindSec2guruDined on 5/1/2014Great place for lunch or to unwind. Food is always fantastic with great flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great North Shore find!RichardVIPDined on 4/24/2014We had great food and wonderful service. The salads were fresh and delicious and the entrees were cooked to perfection!Special Features:
- Don't bring your kids to brunchMelvinDined on 4/20/2014Brunch too expensive for small kids - unless your child is starving, they won't eat $20 worth of brunch buffet.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/18/2014You can count on a wonderful meal whenever you visit Grille 43. The food is delicious and the choices are well proportioned, not overwhelming which leaves room for an appetizer- the Chicken Satay and Seared Ahi Tuna are favorites, or/and a dessert. The soups are complex and rich in flavor perfect for a cold day. The mussels are the best and the chef should contemplate turning this into a main entrée. The crab cake special was very satisfying, with delicate flavor from the rice and cherry tomatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the place but too noisy.KathyDined on 4/11/2014Love the place but too noisy. I would go there more often but hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The appetizer consisting ofMarch31VisitDined on 3/31/2014The appetizer consisting of drunken shrimp and scallops was great. our steaks were cooked to order and delicious. The cheesecake was probably the worst I have ever had (one bite) so I don't recommend desert. The staff was professional, friendly and very accommodating. Overall a very nice dinner, the desert may have been a one-off so don't let that turn you away. I will dine at Grille #43 again,...just not for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The night we were there, thereNewtVIPDined on 3/25/2014The night we were there, there happened to be a group of about 10-12 younger people only drinking in the dining room and they were really loud, so a dinner with the wife was not so good since hearing each other was very difficult.....................but what can the restaurant do about that, however, they occupied lots of seats in the dining area and bought no food, so maybe not so good for the restaurant?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch or dinnerKappyDined on 3/19/2014I've had lunch here several times, and it never disappoints. It's near my office not home, so I've yet to have dinner here. I suspect that it's just as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeEldelVIPDined on 3/18/2014Great food and service despite how busy they were. Nice that they have specials during the week. Complimentary valet was nice as there is little parking. Nice wine list and variety of food.Special Features:
- Our first time there , veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/18/2014Our first time there , very impressed. Generous portions. Very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.