Grille by the Hill
6106 Magazine Street
New Orleans, LA 70118Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Grille by the Hill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.grillebythehill.com/
- Phone: 5048994880
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday-Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Brunch 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Indoor patio room for private parties of up to 25 people. Tasting menu with wine pairings available.
- Private Party Contact: Johnny Vodanovich 5048994880
A word from Grille by the Hill
Grille by the Hill is a new fine dining restaurant located adjacent to Monkey Hill Bar on Magazine St. in the heart of uptown New Orleans. Our white table cloth dining room seats 120 people and resembles an elegant French Quarter courtyard scene complete with a starlit ceiling and indoor brick patio for private parties of up to 25 people. Sommelier Buck Williams' wine program is tailored in the spirit of the city's old world European roots and includes an extensive (and consistently changing) wines by the glass list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Grille by the Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
- Grille by the Hill was wonderfulNewOrleansFoodLoverVIPDined on 7/7/2013We stopped by for Sunday Brunch and were very pleased with everything. The crawfish, spinach and goat cheese omelet was terrific. The Praline Bacon was delicious. The new chef was nice enough to come out and meet us, and the service was outstanding. Love the decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real WINNER!!!BillVIPDined on 5/18/2013Food was Fantastic!! Dale our server really enjoyed his job and made us feel quite welcome!!Special Features:
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013Although I had read some bad revues about this restaurant, it was clear within the first 10 minutes of our visit that the revues were based on opening up a new restaurant, and none of the bad things that had happened to others, were happening to us. While the service wasn't the BEST, it was good enough. The food was quite good.... we were there for brunch... but I'd have no problems with going back for brunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Exceeded all expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/4/2013Ten of us post-Jazzfest, last minute reservation. We couldn't have been more pleased. Gracious & welcoming. Twinkling stars in the ceiling. Oyster, spinach. & Brie appetizer excellent. Their off-the-menu soft shelled crab appetizer. Was simply to die for (Jazzfest poboys notwithstanding). All the mains met with high praise. Amazingly enough, 2 different members of staff able to converse with French & Germans in our party! We'll be back! Go see for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2013I can honestly say this is the first bad meal I've had in nola. The manager seated us right away, but that's where the good experience ended. Our waiter took over 30 minutes to actually take our entree order. I ordered the crabcakes, which were an appetizer, for my meal. They were ok, but were brought out with the appetizers. Others in my party barely ate their food because it was so poor in taste. Word to the wise - do not bring a large group here. We were told at the beginning of the meal that splitting checks would not be an issue. What a joke. They refused to split our checks up, citing a computer issue that wouldn't allow them, and even after we tried to group our orders into the allowed 4 splits, they still refused. Worst experience.
- Went there on Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Went there on Valentine's Day. Restaurant was full and the service was great. I gave 5 stars because ther service, while good, was great due to the number of patrons. There is no location other than near the maitre d' stand one can wait for their table. One can go thru to an adjoining bar butthat location allows smoking. Staying longer than 10 seconds in a smoking allowed area would severely reduce my enjoyment of the dinner.Special Features:
- Comically Bad - Go for a good laughOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013- The service was inexcusably slow, it took 1 hour and 45 minutes just to get the first two courses, which were soup and salad. To top it off, the soup was cold (both mine and hers). - We ordered wine, it never came. - The wait staff just disappeared for long periods of time. We were left in the room with other customers, who were all wondering where the staff went. - The wrong dishes were brought - The waiter never returned to pick up empty plates, they just sat in front of us while we waited and waited. - The steak was not cooked as ordered (x2) - We were brought the bill for another table. - Artifical-looking decoration, looks like Vegas - The water girl was the best service we had all night
- For the price, not worth it.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013For the price, not worth it. If my girlfriend and I spend $200 on dinner I don't want to feel like I'm in the Olive Garden.
- absolutely enjoyable eveningteacherDined on 2/14/2013absolutely enjoyable evening will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- What a disappointment!!! EntirelyMiltonDined on 1/12/2013What a disappointment!!! Entirely too much poor food. And the wait staff were all weird and hanging around you. Will NOT go back.
- Everything was amazing andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/3/2013Everything was amazing and we will definitely be back. The highlights of the meal were the sweetbreads, lobster ravioli and Veal Carmen.Special Features:
- Johnny V's is always top notch.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Johnny V's is always top notch. Nash in particular seems to make this happen. Food is superb always.Special Features:
- Food was very good. We wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Food was very good. We were there New Year's eve. Unfortunately, they had a shortage of employees so our service was exceptionally slow. We will go back on another night and try again.Special Features:
- in a city with so many diningusedtofrequentDined on 12/22/2012in a city with so many dining options, this is nothing to remeber. i was really dissappointed with the owner dressed as if he was in a fast food resturant, not a "dressy" establishment.
- The food was great some ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2012The food was great some of the best food I've ever had. However the service was so bad. The waiter had only a few tables, but was never in the room, and when he came in the room we had to flag him down just to take our drink order, and appetizer order. Then we had to flag him down about 15min later to take our order. When ready to pay the bill, we had to flag down the water guy and he gave us our check because the waiter was no where to be found. Only after we paid did the waiter come by to see how everything was. Its so sad because the owner and the maitre d was there and they did not seem to notice just how bad the service was! I would love to go back, but not until I hear the service has improved.
- Food was not good. I willPeterVIPDined on 11/30/2012Food was not good. I will not return. It was a Friday evening and there was only one other couple in the entire restaurant.
- Our overall dining experienceCalvaruso8VIPDined on 11/17/2012Our overall dining experience was good, the food was terrific, but the restaurant was way understaffed in the "service" area. Food came out quickly after it was finally ordered. Would recommend it, will return, but hope they can get the staffing problem corrected. Excellent food and nice menu selections.Special Features:
- Incredible ServiceWinehoDined on 11/17/2012This restaurant rates a return visit for the service alone. You are treated like family by the owner, and the waiter was efficient, knew the menu and specials, and was personable. Food was old New Orleans favorites. Be careful not to get too many rich courses back to back. Was a little pricy.Special Features:
- excellent food service wineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2012excellent food service wine cognac.rabbit and veal were superb.you must dine here.can't wait to go back.everyone at johnny v's very nice,wanted to make sure we were well taken care of and we certainlly were.Special Features:
- We had a nice dinner. WantedJoshReyherVIPDined on 11/10/2012We had a nice dinner. Wanted to get our socks knocked off but didn't happen. Service was polite but started out slow, when there was no need to be slow. We waited too long to get have our first drink order taken. Aftwards dinner proceeded at a relaxing pace. Several of us had the scallops, which were great. I ordered the duck for my entre, which was slightly over cooked. The wine service was really good. The wine list was very reasonable and they poured nice stem wear. Really went towards enahancing the experience. Dessert was good but nothing special.
- This was my first time toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2012This was my first time to go to Johnny V's and I was pleasantly surprised. The food was delicious, on par with the upscale restaurants around New Orleans. All the appetizers we had were delicious (remolade, quail,scallops, eggplant). The turtle soup was right in the running with the competition up Webster street as was the Lemon Ice Box pie. Everyone seemed to enjoy their entrees as the plates were cleaned. Overall it was a good experience. I was a little cautious about going because of the mixed reviews on here but it was good. I hope word of mouth spreads because it looked like they were having a slow Friday night.Special Features:
- Food was good, not great.SkierDined on 10/27/2012Food was good, not great. Nicely plated and the service was fine. Its about 4 miles from the hotel/french quarter section of town and on the Saturday night we ate there we couldn't get a cab to get back to our hotel. After an hour of trying we called the Sheraton and they graciously sent a car for us. I'm sure this experience didn't help our review so if you do go make sure you have transportation to get you back to wherever...Special Features:
- Tbe worst part about thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/20/2012Tbe worst part about this restaurant is that I did not find it earlier. Every bite of every dish overflowed with the most incredible flavors. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Classic New Orleans cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012We're local, we dine out weekly and have been through most of the high end restaurants available. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening and our meal. The food was excellent, traditional New Orleans cuisine masterfully executed. I wouldn't characterize this as a trendy restaurant, more of the fine dining we grew up with - maybe a pleasant mixture of Le Cuisine (decor) and Commander's/vintage Antoine's (food). The decor is a little tame and basic; but the staff and maitre'd were extremely polished and professional. A thoroughly enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- The remoulade salad was fantastic.Pat1VIPDined on 10/5/2012The remoulade salad was fantastic. Very generous portion, lots of crab meat, and great sauce.Special Features:
- Prices were high for the qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012Prices were high for the quality of ingredients. doubt we will return.
- Johnny V's was greatNewOrleansFoodLoverVIPDined on 8/16/2012We have a very nice time. Food was excellent, and the service was wonderful.Special Features:
- What a waste of time and money!SebmVIPDined on 8/11/2012What a waste of time and money! Food only okay,not good (not what we had the first time we went to Johnny V's). we were looking forward to going back but after last night we will not go there again.
- Too Good to MissDoctorJVIPDined on 7/27/2012I'm a foodie and hit the best restaurants in NOLA on a regular basis. If you haven't been to Johnny V's, you're missing an outstanding dining experience. The food and selection of specials is awesome and the service is as good as it gets...attentive, but not overbearing. We're looking forward to our next visit. We also had a nice chat with Johnny Vodanovich after dinner. What an affable guy! You'll like this whole experience. Dr. Joseph O'Neil, MandevilleSpecial Features:
- The food was good, but feltOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/21/2012The food was good, but felt rushed by the wait staff. Also the wait staff did not not have a good working knowledge of the menu & could not pronounce the names of the specials. Not to good place to relax over dinner & drinks, felt pressured to hurry up & eat.Special Features:
- Food is a Sham as is the InteriorCruisinmanDined on 6/23/2012I thought the food was below par for a New Orleans restaurant and the menu was priced in the same range as some of the finest restaurants in the city. My companion and I spent over $100.00 for an 1 appetizer and one salad plus two entrees and one glass of wine. I would have rather gone to Zea's where I know what quality food is and the price is fair.
- Lovely dinner with great wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/22/2012Lovely restaurant, fake sky and all. Waiter was more than friendly (they stole him from Clancy's I believe) and food was delicious. Nice experience.Special Features:
- Some of the worst food weOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/19/2012Some of the worst food we have had in New Orleans. We were a party of six and all ordered soemthing different. There was not a dish that stood out among the bunch, In fact some of it was just plain bad, over cooked, under seasoned...etc. The wine list is meager and service was not to be found. It felt like we were an after thought as the staff seem to always pass by our table and the owners were to busy chatting it up with friends or on the phone. With all the great restaurants in New Orleans, save yourself the heartache and heartburn of this location.
- Superb dining experience,HansDined on 5/13/2012Superb dining experience, excellent staff, very attentive, food was excellent. Strongly recommend it. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- I loved the look and feelSebmVIPDined on 4/28/2012I loved the look and feel of this place. Soups were excellent. The soft shell crabs were huge and well cooked, hanger stem perfect. Goat Cheese ice cream? Wonderful! Also excellent parking. We will be back.
- One of the best dining experiencesChipDined on 4/26/2012One of the best dining experiences in recent memory in a city full of great dining experiences! Terrific food, wonderful, gracious, freinedly people. Impeccable service. Open only 10 weeks but by people with very deep NOLA and NOLA dining roots. Destined to become a classic.Special Features:
- Our first visit to this newnicknameVIPDined on 4/14/2012Our first visit to this new restaurant. Oysters, quail, fish, rabbit all excellent. They need a better California Chardonnay addd to wines by the glass. Nice interior that makes you feel you are in an outdoor courtyard under the stars. Also nice that there is parking after hours at Perlis. I do not understand why the neighbors fought this since Monkey Hill bar has been here for a while. Great addition to the neighborhood.Special Features: