Grill 23 & Bar
161 Berkeley Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Grill 23 & Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.grill23.com/
- Phone: 6175422255
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:30pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Bar: Opens at 4:30 Daily. PLEASE NOTE: Neither shorts nor athletic wear are permitted in the main dining room. They are permitted in the bars and private dining rooms, as space permits.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jay Murray
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Wine
- Catering: For Private Dining Information, please contact Brian Mills
A word from Grill 23 & Bar
Grill 23 & Bar has been Boston’s top Steak and Seafood Grill for over 25 years. Consistently named Boston's Best Steakhouse by The Improper Bostonian Magazine and Boston Magazine, as well as New England's Best Steakhouse in New England Travel & Leisure Magazine. Always striving to offer our guests the best dining experience, Executive Chef Jay Murray delivers only the best all natural dry-aged prime beef to our customers. In addition to the A La Carte selections, Chef Murray creates an innovative and inventive weekly Signature Specials menu, which emphasizes the region’s freshest bounty. Grill 23 & Bar proudly offers a 900+ bottle wine list that encompasses wines from around the world and is the recipient Wine Spectator’s Best of-Award of Excellence since 2002.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Grill 23 & Bar - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Grill 23 & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
341 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (215)notable wine list (158)fit for foodies (119)good for groups (116)romantic (112)vibrant bar scene (68)hot spot (58)neighborhood gem (47)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- great food in huge portions!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014The food in this place is great. You definitely get what you pay for here. The steak was amazing but all the other dishes were almost as good. Come hungry though, the portion sizes are massiveI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed with the food...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Our expectations were high because we have been here before. My wife's filet was ordered medium and came to the table rare (raw for her). The mushrooms were absent of seasoning and the creme brûlée had a nice golden crust but was the consistency of thick pudding instead of custard. Kudos goes to the Management for taking my wife's steak off the bill. It still cost the two of us $250 (including tip and parking). Nice try but we won't be back.Special Features:
- A hot spot after all these yearsElleDined on 9/27/2014Grill 23 remains a focal point in the Boston dining scene. Moving out of the city many years ago, I had not frequented the restaurant in over ten years. Valet service is friendly and quick, we were greeted promptly and shown our table within minutes. The staff's attention to detail has not wavered and the food, from start to finish, is as good as it ever was. A solid, reliable choice for a special occasion meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dry aged steaks - periodSteakloverDined on 9/23/2014The 100 dat dry aged rib eye and the New York strip are 2nd to none in the nation. When I travel to Boston - Grill 23 is the spot and the oysters were amazing!Special Features:
- Excellent steaksluv2dineVIPDined on 9/23/2014Probably the best purist steak I've had in Boston thus far. Service was a little shoddy - wait staff spent 20 minutes (we timed it) on a single table, just standing there - but I can put up with that as long as the food is good, which it was.Special Features:
- WonderfulSteeeveVIPDined on 9/22/2014High end place to be sure, with high end prices, but a great experience overall. Service was fantastic. Food, drinks, all around a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, questionable managementNorthShoreFoodieDined on 9/20/2014I booked my birthday dinner there. I made a reservation for 5 people several days in advance. When we arrived, we were told it "would be a couple of minutes." About 25 minutes later, they lead us to a table on the second floor that was right next to the kitchen. The kitchen does not have a door, so half of the table would have been staring directly into the kitchen. This was quite disappointing after having made a reservation and then almost a half hour wait. We requested a better table, which they provided after a few minutes. After we were seated, our waiter was great and the food was fantastic. Everyone in the group was happy with their steaks. We ordered them ranging from medium rare to very well done and they were all spot on.Special Features:
- PennpalPennpalVIPDined on 9/20/2014Went for a birthday dinner. Was placed in a far back room with very little charm and dropped ceiling with stains. The twin filet was very salty. The brick pressed chicken was dry as sawdust. Beef tenderloin was delicious as was the porterhouse.Special Features:
- Great nightDiningdailyDined on 9/20/2014Jared was an outstanding server. Steak was delicious!Special Features:
- Classic steakhouse with a twistRylandDined on 9/19/2014As a classic steakhouse with a modern twist, Grill 23 is a great alternative to some of the typical chain steakhouses in the neighborhood. Steak was cooked perfectly and the seafood dishes, including the Shellfish Chowder, were delicious. There were some reasonable gems on the winelist and service was prompt, but unassuming. The restaurant is lively and its a great option for a special night out or business dinner.Special Features:
- Good but not great foodsavoryeaterVIPDined on 9/19/2014Grill 23 is a mainstay in Boston. My husband has had many business dinners here, but this was my first time. The atmosphere was lively, the food fresh with good ingredients (we appreciated the humanely raised meats), but the end result was mixed, at least for my husband and me. He had the pot roast, which he thought was fantastic, though the noodles were blah. I had a blackened grouper special, which tasted barely blackened, no kick at all, and not enough sauce or other flavoring to add interest. We shared bread pudding, normally a favorite dessert, and found it disappointing. For the price, I expected something a little more special.Special Features:
- A fine steak houseTarzansgirlVIPDined on 9/19/2014Friends suggested that we dine here due to proximity to my hotel. Had lovely wine (house red), terrific cocktails, a perfectly prepared steaks. The side dishes of asparagus and creamed spinach were delicious but had a bit too much salt for my liking. The desserts were among the most enormous slices of cake I've ever seen and luckily tasted very nice. If you like steak, you will be happy here.Special Features:
- Came For Tots, Stayed For JoshcamiDined on 9/18/2014Grill 23, known for its 23 investors, was absolutely f a b u l o u s in every facet of the word! From the first people to greet us to our first dish, the calamari was beyond spectacular. Although the dining room seemed to be packed, our server still made us feel like the only table they had! OOMF. We had the swordfish steak which was great & truffle tots and mushrooms as our side. We had chocolate cake and profiteroles--good; beyond good. What really took our experience over the top was the kind and hilarious Josh that made us feel very at home. Can't thank that guy enough for his fantastic service which totally blew................all other servers outta the water!!!!!! Love this place would recommend to anyone for any dinner experience :)Special Features:
- Very disappointingRoxiannaDined on 9/18/2014I took my husband here for his birthday. He loves a good steak, but I don't eat meat and I can't consume milk products. I informed the waiter of this. Most good restaurants can accommodate a vegetarian or pescatarian, and in fact there were fish options on the menu. However, when I asked for olive oil instead of butter for the bread, it took three requests and it still was not brought until the entree arrived. When the waiter did bring it, he also brought parmesan cheese, he said, it was to make up for the late delivery. So no bread for me. After the meal my husband was finishing up his $200 bottle of birthday wine, so I thought I would have some coffee. The restaurant had no soy milk, or even non-dairy creamer, so no coffee for me either.Special Features:
- DISAPPOINTINGJudyDined on 9/14/2014We had heard so much about Grill 23 that we choose it for our anniversary dinner. MISTAKE! They sat us in the center of an empty Sunday evening restaurant. Appetizer of tomatoes/baratta - tomatoes were cubed and watery and baratta melted making it like an unappetizing cream of tomato soup! Oysters and accompanying sauces were great - best thing. Steaks were disappointing - had the 100 day aged sirloin and 100 day aged ribeye - had much better for much less. Service was spotty at best dinner delivered to wrong table and waiter walked away and had to be called back. Not so great for a high end restaurant. We also had to pour our own wine-after it was delivered, we didn't see our waiter for long periods of time. We will not return.Special Features:
- 11 year trend endsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/13/2014I've been going to Grille 23 for 11 years. I've brought clients and friends alike. After my experience on Saturday evening, I will not be back. Several dishes were cold and was sent back, and then brought back out COLD. Service was sub-par. They then tried to charge me for the cold meals that had to be sent back to be reheated twice. Something seems to have changed at this iconic Boston restaurant. I won't be going back.
- Great meal!SSssVIPDined on 9/12/2014Had a great time and a great meal at Grill 23. Found the restaurant via OpenTable. Was in town with some college buddies for a football game. Wanted a good steak and this place delivered. Not cheap but good was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayNYsteakeatrDined on 9/12/2014Steaks were very good. Appetizers, not bad. Side dishes were average.Special Features:
- dinnereatswellwhentravellingDined on 9/11/2014very loud at 8:30 p.m. on a Thursday, almost too loud for conversation, but the food was amazing. best crab cake I've ever eaten - all crab, no filler. tuna/salmon appetizer better than most sashimi; beef was extraordinary. no room for desert, but took coconut cake to go - awesome. server was great - friendly, knowledgeable. only wish it was quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston surpriseao920Dined on 9/11/2014Arriving in Boston in the late afternoon, we wanted to try and have a really good meal. Preferably steak. We got exactly that. The Ceaser salad was mediocre but everything else was wonderful. I don't eat steak often but I have to say it was one of the best filet mignon I ever had. Melt in your mouth. If you are lucky enough to get a reservation, you will definitely enjoy your meal. It was a bit noisy, as most large popular restaurants are, so not the best for an intimate conversation.Special Features:
- Tasty but noisySafiriniDKDined on 9/11/2014Lovely place and a second visit. However this time not in one of the private dining rooms, do it was very hard to have a conversation due to the high noise level. Good food and wine though and attentive servant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive, but not worth the priceConsistentDined on 9/11/2014White jacketed servers were buzzing around this restaurant giving the impression of excellent service. It was just that, an impression. Being seated next to the bus station gave me a good visual or what was happening. It was so loud, it was difficult to hear the waiter. Shrimp cocktail was terrific and presented well. The waitress (not the waiter who took our order) brought the wrong entrees to our table, set them down and when we questioned her, she picked them up and presented them to another duo. How did she know if we touched or manipulated the plates in any way or not!? The baked stuffed potatoes were not good, asparagus was flavorful and cooked well. I won't be back-- I expected much more for the price.Special Features:
- Great steakOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/9/2014A little costly, but a top notch rib eye, dry aged. Get the cream corn! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Not greatLBSYDined on 9/7/2014This restaurant came highly reccomended by the Four Seasons Boston and quite a few friends. The food was ok and the service awful. I would not suggest this restaurant. Maybe it was just a bad night.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationPucksDined on 9/7/2014We took our dear 87-year-old friend to his favorite restaurant in which he has been dining since the 1980's to celebrate his birthday. The service was fantastic, the atmosphere marvelous, and the food was superb. We started with the calamari appetizer which was done perfectly and served with a mildly spicy aioli sauce. Each of us ordered the beef tenderloin which was served with garlic mashed potatoes and a delicious stilton/port sauce. SWe also ordered a side of the wonderful creamed spinach for the table. We could not have been more pleased with Grill 23 or our evening there.Special Features:
- Dinner at Grill 23MauiwoweeDined on 9/7/2014Dinner was very good and our waiter, Matt, was excellent.Special Features:
- HildaVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great food and service. Excellent bar & wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakhouse experienceJImBVIPDined on 9/6/2014We have been to a lot of very good steakhouses around the country, and Grill 23 measures up to the best of them. My wife had the filet, I had the ribeye -- both were perfectly cooked and had great flavor. Sides were also well-done and plentiful. The service was prompt and attentive. One note: If you want to enjoy the energy of this restaurant, be sure to ask for a downstairs table. We initially were led upstairs, and it was far too quiet. We immediately asked for a different table downstairs, and the hostess happily accommodated us. I would suggest requesting a downstairs table if you want to really enjoy all that this restaurant has to offer.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Food was excellent, the side dishes could be a little smaller, too much waste, even for two people. Noise level was not relaxing.Special Features:
- Worth the $$JMEDDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I wanted to go somewhere nice for our anniversary dinner. Grill 23 was perfect! The service, food and atmosphere was great. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sub Par eveningcmdrbVIPDined on 9/4/2014We've been dining at Grill 23 for several years now. This was a disappointing outing. Our martinis tasted watered down. The tuna/salmon tartar was forgettable. I gather the bone-in rib-eye was removed from the menu. The chowder was very good. The dry aged rib-eyes were very good but my wife's was closer to medium than to the medium rare she had asked for. The onion rings were very good. We were relaxing after a hard week and didn't end up complaining or sending things back. In hindsight, I think we should have put up much more of a fuss. I have to say, everything except the chowder and the onion rings, however, was below par. Hope this is not a trend!!!Special Features:
- Amazingboston17Dined on 9/3/2014Our server was the best. He was attentive and catered to our dietary needs. The food was to die for and I would certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best AnniversaryBruncherDined on 9/3/2014Perfect place for a special date. Excellent service. Delicious food. Amazing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsDavidDined on 9/3/2014A bit on the expensive side, although not for a higher end restaurant, which this is. The food is good, the venue very enjoyable. We've been here a few times now, and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambienceGiovanniDined on 9/2/2014Food was excellent and well served. To increase the way to serve wine, better attention on wine temperature, some some red wines need to be moved into a decanter before being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surpriseluvgoodfoodDined on 9/2/2014Outstanding service. Would love to give it 10 stars instead of the 5 they allow. My husband's birthday dinner and I called ahead to ask about a surprise dessert. They not only asked what he would like, they asked what I would like for dessert and they surprised him with his and then served mine. My husband was very impressed. One of our top places to eat. Rib eye to die for!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe just a bad nightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/2/2014I have been to Grill 23 many times in the past and loved it. It has honestly been over 2 years since I have been here and this meal was very disappointing. Hopefully just a bad night, but for such an expensive meal, I would have expected the food to be SO much better. Tuna tartare was not fresh at all, steak was not great either (had to bury it with bernaise sauce for flavor). The sides were not special at all, felt microwaved, also weird flavoring....the profiteroles dessert was fantastic. The service was excellent, but with all the Boston steak house options, my next meal will be somewhere else...
- Outstanding steakLoveMyVeggiesVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had the three "Best of the best" steaks. The New York strip was excellent. The 100 Day Ribeye was even better, and the Kobe was out of this world. Appetizers and desserts delicious as well. Service, including the valets, was attentive and professional without being stuffy. A new favorite.Special Features:
- Nice EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014We went to this restaurant for a birthday celebration. Our server, David, was very attentive without being intrusive. He allowed us privacy, but was always available when we needed him. My companion ordered the 2 pound lobster and said it was delicious. I ordered the sashimi style tuna and it was butter soft and delicious. The caramel profiteroles for dessert were sinful and good to the last bite. The food was very good, but we felt the prices were a bit steep compared to other restaurants in the area that serve similar good food for less money.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Had a 8:30 reservation, but had to wait until 8:55. The bar was crowded, no way to get a drink, and we were trying to find a place to stand without being in the way of the kitchen staff. After dodging people for 20 minutes we decided to find another restaurant, but on our way out they found us table. The food was good.