Grill 23 & Bar
161 Berkeley Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Grill 23 & Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.grill23.com/
- Phone: 6175422255
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:30pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Bar: Opens at 4:30 Daily. PLEASE NOTE: Neither shorts nor athletic wear are permitted in the main dining room. They are permitted in the bars and private dining rooms, as space permits.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jay Murray
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Wine
- Catering: For Private Dining Information, please contact Brian Mills
A word from Grill 23 & Bar
Grill 23 & Bar has been Boston’s top Steak and Seafood Grill for over 25 years. Consistently named Boston's Best Steakhouse by The Improper Bostonian Magazine and Boston Magazine, as well as New England's Best Steakhouse in New England Travel & Leisure Magazine. Always striving to offer our guests the best dining experience, Executive Chef Jay Murray delivers only the best all natural dry-aged prime beef to our customers. In addition to the A La Carte selections, Chef Murray creates an innovative and inventive weekly Signature Specials menu, which emphasizes the region’s freshest bounty. Grill 23 & Bar proudly offers a 900+ bottle wine list that encompasses wines from around the world and is the recipient Wine Spectator’s Best of-Award of Excellence since 2002.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Grill 23 & Bar - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Grill 23 & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
334 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (224)notable wine list (159)fit for foodies (116)romantic (115)good for groups (106)vibrant bar scene (66)hot spot (49)neighborhood gem (40)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (10)great for lunch (9)scenic view (6)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Outstanding steakLoveMyVeggiesVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had the three "Best of the best" steaks. The New York strip was excellent. The 100 Day Ribeye was even better, and the Kobe was out of this world. Appetizers and desserts delicious as well. Service, including the valets, was attentive and professional without being stuffy. A new favorite.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Had a 8:30 reservation, but had to wait until 8:55. The bar was crowded, no way to get a drink, and we were trying to find a place to stand without being in the way of the kitchen staff. After dodging people for 20 minutes we decided to find another restaurant, but on our way out they found us table. The food was good.
- Terrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014The waiter spilled my drink, screwed up our order twice, and told me the substitution listed on the menu was impossible because the food was pre-made...Special Features:
- Poor restaurant week menuRLlllDined on 8/29/2014My fiancé and I went for restaurant week, and we were not impressed with their food. I got the short rib risotto, which sounds amazing, but it was not. The dish was bland, and you couldn't distinguish the meat from the risotto. It was overall pretty disappointing. I thought the goal of the restaurant week was to give a taste as to what their normal dishes are like, such that you'll want to come back in the future for a non-restaurant week experience. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be returning.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Very loud, and difficult to carry on a conversation. Wait staff a bit pretentious and not as attentive as you would expect at this level of restaurant. Food was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Snobby waiterJordiDined on 8/27/2014I brought someone for a business dinner. His conversation was with the other person >90% of the time treating me like my partner kid. At the end, he paid more attention when I flashed my CC. Wine and food excellent but overpricy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014In a word- incredible. The food, ambience, and service are all top notch and make for a perfect dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, pity for the servicejak66Dined on 8/25/2014The food in general was good usual steak house stuff. Service was a real issue and ruined our last evening in Boston. From the second we sat down it was very hurried. While taking the order the waiter knocked over a wine glass spilling it all over my daughter's cardigan and dress. It was hurriedly cleaned up, the wine glass was replaced, my daughter was given an additional napkin to dry herself and the order taking continued. The cutlery was never replaced. The wet napkins were piled on the table for over 5 minutes until we asked someone to take them away. There was no offer for dry cleaning or other form of compensation. I asked help with the wine list. No sommelier showed, the waiter just pointed out few wines with no real knowledge.Special Features:
- Food never disappointsdeejaygeeDined on 8/24/2014This was not my first time here and it definitely will not be my last time here. The food was amazing. I ordered the Daily catch which was striped bass with mushrooms and the food was phenomenal.Special Features:
- SuperbFrankandCVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food the service and the overlall experience were superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Excellent steaks, perhaps best in the city. The price point is comparable to other steak restarants in BostonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful - No Response from ChefJP113Dined on 8/23/2014Let me say that when we arrived they told us our table would be ready in "a few minutes" well 40 mins. later we were still not seated. Once the hostess finally came to get us we were sat at the worst table in the restaurant. It was literally in the middle of the floor, almost as if they just put it there because they were overbooked. They moved us and we saw them take the table away as to not offend any more patrons. My husband ordered the sirloin (100 day aged at $67) it was fatty and undercooked 2x. He asked for "medium plus" and it came out rare. He sent it back, by the time he had gotten his meal I was done with mine. The second time his steak came out it wasn't any better but he was hesitant to send it back again.
- Great food, but too loudsfgirlVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were in from out of town and went here for my husband's birthday. The steak here is fabulous. The menu was perfect for my husband and two teenage boys. However, the downstairs was really loud. We had to raise our voices just to hear each other. Our food was left in our sight on a tray waiting to be served for several minutes. We complained and the waiter gave us a complementary glass of wine. He knew he had messed up. Ladies first is something I expect at a restaurant of this caliber, but that didn't happen. Very good, but I wont rush back when in Boston.Special Features:
- DeliciousEnchantingDined on 8/22/2014My date and I dined at Grill 23 for Dine Out Boston. Had a really great experience. The steak was perfectly cooked and full of flavor. I am not sure if the pork schnitezel is a regular item on the menu, but I wouldn't recommend it. Very bland, and disappointing. The truffle potato tots were just amazing. Could not stop eating them. Our server was very nice and attentive. I would defintiely return to this restuarant for dinner, except they are very pricy.Special Features:
- Sunset Catina is betterminhddDined on 8/22/2014really decent food on restaurant week. Buffalo New York is too sour and salty, New York Strip is bland and pasta is bland, really nothing better than pub food. Would not recommendSpecial Features:
- Nice please, tasty foodplato79Dined on 8/22/2014I took my husband here for his birthday. They had great steak and great starters. I would highly recommend the smoked beef chopped salad and the kobe cap steak. Also, definitely get the house made ice cream - it was amazing. We'll be back. Great night, great service, great food.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerGpereDined on 8/22/2014The setting of the restaurant was absolutely beautiful. We were seated at a window seat in the corner which was perfect for the quiet, romantic dinner we were hoping for. We both ordered Filet Mignon with a grilled lobster tail. The meat was delicious even though it was a bit overcooked from what we had ordered. We had asked for medium and the beef came out medium well. The disappointing part of the meal was the lobster tails. They were the smallest tails I had ever seen with not much taste to them. You couldn't have asked for better service of the wait staff. They were extremely attentive and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grill 23....The Best!MBagsDined on 8/21/2014I have been to this restaurant, several times, and I have never, ever, been disappointed! Outstanding...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014Disappointing menu for Dine Out Boston week. Buffalo steak appetizer was hot - no taste except hot sauce. No steak entrée choice for a restaurant specializing in it. Bread pudding dessert was dry and heavy. Service was very good which saved the evening.
- Disappointing for Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014I went to during restaurant week,38$ for 3 courses, and was looking forward to an amazing meal. The ambiance and service were wonderful, but the food shocked me. The Buffalo steak looked like a scrap that the restaurant didnt want to waste so they fried it, coated it in store-bought sauce, and added a large amount of "out of the bottle" blue cheese dressing. I understand the irony of a bar food at a fancy place, but this tasted like cheap bar food. The pot roast was alright, but this is Grill 23, alright shouldn't cut it. The Cake was very good, and honestly the only thing that deserved the name Grill 23. Long story short, if Grill 23 can't give the quality of their name for 38$, many steaks cost more, they shouldn't do restaurant week.
- DescriptionalfredoDined on 8/19/2014This place is fenomenal. Great scene, service and food as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what we neededBreezyDoJoDined on 8/18/2014After a very long weekend, we needed a great meal to get our strength back. Grill 23 did not disappoint. We were seated promptly and our server was very attentive. The wine list had some excellent selections and the food was off the charts good. I had the Kobe steak and it lived up to its reputation. The Swordfish Steak and Twin Fillets were also raved about. The sides were perfectly done. Sure, it's a loud steakhouse but that didn't get in the way of great conversation at our table.Special Features:
- Go!!!!AGF68Dined on 8/18/2014With all the chain steakhouses in the city you pretty much know what you're going to get and that's where Grill 23 has the advantage it has nothing to prove it has earned its status. The food is amazing, the service flawless and without question the best steakhouse in the city. Independant restaurants will always focus on the guest and that was the case at Grill 23 the entire experience was a perfect 10, and I will be back.Special Features:
- ABC Restaurant/Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014These guys have the business dinner down. They have good service and know how to sell you expensive wine. The food is nothing great but what you would expect from a fairly expensive restaurant. Good location in downtown Boston but would not go out of my way to dine there again. Too many other places where the food is fantastic and the service is exceptions. There is a certain snob appeal about this place and I think life is too short for that stuff unless you like that type appeal.
- Special NightsportsbostVIPDined on 8/18/2014We were celebrating our special anniversary with our family and Grille 23 was a perfect place to celebrate! The service and good was outstanding ! Everyone enjoyed the bass special and Caesar salad. As we were leaving the resturant did get a bit noisy, but everyone was having a great time! Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic and memorableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014It's very hard to find a special restaurant... this is one that will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OlivadiDined on 8/15/2014Grill 23 offers an energetic environment, an old world allure, a great wine list, and a very attentive staff. This restaurant is suitable for any occasion formal or informal. The menu offers a variety of dishes to satisfy any palate or dietary needsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Overall wonderful experience from the time we arrived. The staff were so accommodating to our request for table change and then gave prompt and courteous service throughout the evening. Great wine recommendation, terrific presentation of the food and delicious! Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Business dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014We had reservations for 8 they easily accommodated an addition for 9. Great wine selection, attentive service, and fantastic presentation. We had an all round awesome dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodMshapsVIPDined on 8/12/2014Certainly Top Steak in Boston, I dont even think that can be in questionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a steak placeBackBay2PleasantBayDined on 8/11/2014It is what it is. For that much money, why not opt for interesting cooking? A great place to take people who have flat palates. Especially on expense account.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteakfatkidatheartDined on 8/9/2014Classic steak house feel it's exactly as advertised a timeless experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing steaks and experienceSteveDined on 8/9/2014I've been to all most of the great steakhouses everywhere I've lived and visited. I make it a point to go out for a high quality steak at least 6 times a year. Grill 23 is one of the best of the best. The food was perfect and the staff was excellent. The sommelier was helpful but not pretentious at all and made a great recommendation. You cannot go wrong at Grill 23.Special Features:
- Just eat the steakTreatMeDined on 8/9/2014The steak was out of this world. We had filet mignon and the ribeye and they were amazing. Tender, flavorful, and cooked perfectly. The wine suggested was terrific. The appetizers, sides, and desserts were okay, with the hashbrown and the profiteroles being a bit burned. Morton's has better apps, sides, and desserts. They did put us in a quieter room, but the time it took us to walk there made it feel like we were in a factory. This place is gigantic, which was not what we expected from a non-chain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb serviceLauraTDined on 8/9/2014The food and ambiance was great, but what made the evening special was after asking for an item we had previously enjoyed which was no longer on the menu, they brought it in from their sister restaurant so as not to disappoint us. Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatsfanDined on 8/9/2014Disappointing. We were early in the evening, the restaurant was empty, and I had asked for a quiet table near the window. We got neither until I pushed, and even then not really what we wanted...the appetizer, a "chopped salad" arrived 5 minutes after we ordered, and contained no salad and was awful. Our entrees arrived 5 minutes after we finished our salads. I ordered seared tuna, which was tasteless. My date's steak was nothing special. All in all, not worth the money at all...
- A bit Loud but Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Is a somewhat noisy place, but the service, food, and otherwise great setting make up for it. Would definitely recommend and return!Special Features:
- Fine diningS6FezDined on 8/4/2014Last night in Boston before return to UK so wanted a great steak and was not disappointed, was a Monday evening so not very busy but received excellent service from first to last minute. Went for the Crab Cake start and fillet mignon asked for medium and it was perfect cheeky hot fudge sundae (I did say it was the last night of holiday) everything was A+ and a great last night was badSpecial Features:
- IlikedrpDined on 8/4/2014Great meal! Fantastic waiter. We will return to grill 23!
- Dinner for family reunionBostonsteak2014Dined on 8/3/2014Excellent food. Appetizer oysters were good too. "The best of the best" rib steak was absolutely amazing, we ordered another plate to share. Aged to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.