Grill 23 & Bar
161 Berkeley Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Grill 23 & Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.grill23.com/
- Phone: 6175422255
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:30pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Bar: Opens at 4:30 Daily. PLEASE NOTE: Neither shorts nor athletic wear are permitted in the main dining room. They are permitted in the bars and private dining rooms, as space permits.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jay Murray
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Wine
- Catering: For Private Dining Information, please contact Brian Mills
A word from Grill 23 & Bar
Grill 23 & Bar has been Boston’s top Steak and Seafood Grill for over 25 years. Consistently named Boston's Best Steakhouse by The Improper Bostonian Magazine and Boston Magazine, as well as New England's Best Steakhouse in New England Travel & Leisure Magazine. Always striving to offer our guests the best dining experience, Executive Chef Jay Murray delivers only the best all natural dry-aged prime beef to our customers. In addition to the A La Carte selections, Chef Murray creates an innovative and inventive weekly Signature Specials menu, which emphasizes the region’s freshest bounty. Grill 23 & Bar proudly offers a 900+ bottle wine list that encompasses wines from around the world and is the recipient Wine Spectator’s Best of-Award of Excellence since 2002.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Grill 23 & Bar - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Grill 23 & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
340 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (216)notable wine list (161)fit for foodies (124)good for groups (123)romantic (111)vibrant bar scene (71)hot spot (66)neighborhood gem (53)late-night find (15)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- awesomeSteakisgreatDined on 10/18/2014Griil 23 is one of the top three restuarants in BostonSpecial Features:
- Classic food, very noisyDfromNewtonVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food is pretty good, not really memorable. We had an 8:30 reservation but didn't get seated until almost 9. It took a very long time to get our food. The New York sirloin was fine, not the most tender, we enjoyed the onion rings, the creamed corn, and the mashed potatoes. My husband frond the chicken bland, and the asparagus was kind of bitter. Profiteroles were good. The major downside was the noise level. It is really difficult to have a conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not terribly impressedmjbostonVIPDined on 10/17/2014Had not been here for quite some time. Looking forward to it, but I don't think I'll rush back. The food was good - too heavy for my clean food loving taste, but overall good. The only misstep was my crab cake, chewy to the point where I swear it was both over handled and microwaved. $19 for a microwaved appetizer, not ok, and the waiter recommended it over the crab salad app. I also thought the sides were overpriced by a few dollars each. As far as ambiance, I was not terribly impressed. The lights were far too bright, tables shoved together and it was loud – it felt almost cafeteria like, which is not what you're after when you're paying $70 for an a la cart entrée. I'm really dumbfounded at how crowded it was.
- Fantastic food, declining servicekd2000Dined on 10/12/2014Been coming here for well over 12 years; it's my favorite place in Boston. However, the service has been going downhill lately, and unfortunately our experience on this visit only solidified that sense. Fifteen minutes just to get bread, way too long between drink orders, 45 minutes to get our appetizer, and another 45 to get our entrees. This was all during a visit that I've been hyping to a good friend of mine for 6 months. He was impressed with the 100-day aged ribeye, but the service ruined the experience. We were comp'ed for our appetizer, but unfortunately that's only monetary and (while absolutely appreciative of the gesture) it doesn't make up for the disappointing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groups to solosfine4soloDined on 10/11/2014Grill 23 showed up on a Google of "Best Boston Backbay restaurants" so I gave it a try when I was in Boston by myself for a meeting. I was promptly seated by a gracious greeter, got a nice two top upstairs by the bar. Server Gino was attentive, informed, alert but not solicitous. The tomato and burrate cheese preparation in Mr. Angelini's tomatoes were irresistible even tho the cheese is not Paleo. Tenderloin was perfect at medium rare and an bowl of off the menu berries came out in October as tasty as I'd hope for in August. The wines by the glass selection is broad based although they have a reasonable but more costly list of 375 ml bottles as well, an increasingly rare feature on a wine list. Overall, couldn't have been happier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TrudyDined on 10/11/2014Had a great night everything was perfect, food, drinks and service. We arrived a little early for our reservation and were seated right away, even though we were early they never rushed us. The lamb was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousTheKidDined on 10/11/2014Had one of the best steaks of my life. The Brandt aged rib eye was divine. Daily risotto was a home run. Got in early to beat the group and by 730 the place had begun to fill up. Would recommend a reservation.Special Features:
- Well Done!hckylvrDined on 10/10/2014Grill 23 was perfect all the way around! Our group of four had steaks that were prepared impeccably. Side dishes were very tasty; we split four of them which was just enough for everyone. The wine suggested by our sommelier was a great compliment to the meal. It was a very nice Friday night dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed BagRichDined on 10/10/2014Arrived early for our 6:00 pm dinner reservation so the restaurant was pretty quiet. Greeted professionally by the valet staff. The greeter at the desk didn't really make you feel welcome as she had a bit of a scowl on her face but pleasant enough. Got a nice table for 4 (only 2 of us) so it was a very comfortable spot near the window. Greeted on a timely manner from the wait staff. Wife has allergies to wheat and dairy so it's always a challenge to even order drinks. Drinks very expensive but not that great( Tito's). Shrimp cocktail also missed the mark being not as firm and crisp and it should be. Prime sirloin very good ($49). Steak frites good as well. Overall, a bit disappointed. Will likely try something new next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still so-soGlennplaidjcVIPDined on 10/6/2014Grill 23 is the hit-or-miss epicenter of the Back Bay. Upon arrival the guy in the suit, staring at a screen, didn't even look up to make a greeting. Maybe he was working on an important email? Service is fine but should be better for this price point. Servers seemed to be in a hurry to clear plates throughout dinner. Wine list is heavily titled to California Cabernet but is really thin on Zinfandels, Malbecs, etc. Some have a respectable markup but for those on expense accounts, some bottles are extremely marked up. Grill 23 is good but never reaches the finish line of truly great.
- Bit of a disappointmentABostonBritDined on 10/5/2014Wife and I went for our first anniversary on a Sunday night and wanted to make an effort. Website said jackets were preferred and smart business dress was their desired attire. So we were a bit disappointed when we were sat 2 tables down from guys wearing baseball caps. It took away from what I imaging could have been great ambience of the place to make it feel just like an expensive bar. Crab cake appetizer was amazing, my rib eye was tasty but my wife's steak was not cooked as requested and had to be returned. Which again was disappointing. The service was very good though. The waiter was very attentive and removed my wife's steak from the bill. All in all a disappointment. The place has potential, but doubt we'll go again.
- Amazing place/steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Went for a 40th Birthday. Booked the table a month in advance and they still remembered the occasion. We sat upstairs where is was quite and romantic. Wait staff was very attentive and knowledgable about the menu. My Boyfriend got the Kobe Steak which was the most flavorful steak I've ever had. I had the Rib Eye which was also cooked perfectly. Definitely try the mushrooms, they were phenominal. For dessert I recommend the Coconut cake. Would LOVE to go back.Special Features:
- Great SteakTaterTotsLiveOnDined on 10/3/2014Took my wife here for a special night out. Had reservations at 8:30 and arrived around 7:45. Has a few drinks in the bar where there was some nice small tables to sit at while waiting on our table. We were seated promptly at 8:30. Service was spectacular. Jeff took great care of us explaining the specials and answering all of our questions. The filets were prefect. Just make sure to save room for the truffle tater tots, they are out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!RiverRatsDined on 10/3/2014Steak was amazing. Dinner was pricey but worth every bite! Never disappointed at GRILL 23!Special Features:
- Great food, service OKTomyDined on 10/3/2014Food and ambiance was great. Service overall also good, but: We were celebrating my wife's birthday and the waiter brought us a chocolate cake with a candle (what was nice), but in the end we had to pay for this... a bit strange habit in your restaurant to pay for something, that you did not order. But I would visit it again, but paymore attantion to the invoice and orders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointmentFerg967Dined on 10/2/2014We live in Chicago but if we're in Boston for a special occasion we visit Grill 23. The food is always great and the restaurant itself is beautiful.Special Features:
- nice placepaulkDined on 10/2/2014Very enjoyable, good wine list and great service both at the bar and tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for client entertainingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014We had an 8 pm reservation and were not seated until 8:40 pm. Could have been deadly if we had a critical client with us. As it was -- a group work dinner. I would have chosen a less expensive restaurant for that purpose. It's expensive. The food was very good and the ambiance is very nice.Special Features:
- dry aged steak- !!LuckieDined on 9/30/2014Dry aged steak 14 oz at $67 was of a poor cut and had much grissel through out. took over 20 minutes to rectify the situation, and at that point, my party was finished with dinner. Poor Execution for replacemrnt.Special Features:
- Always perfectMattVIPDined on 9/29/2014Had yet another perfect dinner at Grill 23. I travel all over the world for work, and this is my favorite steak place anywhere. Not a chain, not some cookie cutter approach to steak... a local place, with a fantastic wine list, great service, and perfect steak.... every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food in huge portions!foodloverDined on 9/28/2014The food in this place is great. You definitely get what you pay for here. The steak was amazing but all the other dishes were almost as good. Come hungry though, the portion sizes are massiveI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed with the food...smallroll123Dined on 9/28/2014Our expectations were high because we have been here before. My wife's filet was ordered medium and came to the table rare (raw for her). The mushrooms were absent of seasoning and the creme brûlée had a nice golden crust but was the consistency of thick pudding instead of custard. Kudos goes to the Management for taking my wife's steak off the bill. It still cost the two of us $250 (including tip and parking). Nice try but we won't be back.Special Features:
- A hot spot after all these yearsElleDined on 9/27/2014Grill 23 remains a focal point in the Boston dining scene. Moving out of the city many years ago, I had not frequented the restaurant in over ten years. Valet service is friendly and quick, we were greeted promptly and shown our table within minutes. The staff's attention to detail has not wavered and the food, from start to finish, is as good as it ever was. A solid, reliable choice for a special occasion meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dry aged steaks - periodSteakloverDined on 9/23/2014The 100 dat dry aged rib eye and the New York strip are 2nd to none in the nation. When I travel to Boston - Grill 23 is the spot and the oysters were amazing!Special Features:
- Excellent steaksluv2dineVIPDined on 9/23/2014Probably the best purist steak I've had in Boston thus far. Service was a little shoddy - wait staff spent 20 minutes (we timed it) on a single table, just standing there - but I can put up with that as long as the food is good, which it was.Special Features:
- WonderfulSteeeveVIPDined on 9/22/2014High end place to be sure, with high end prices, but a great experience overall. Service was fantastic. Food, drinks, all around a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, questionable managementNorthShoreFoodieDined on 9/20/2014I booked my birthday dinner there. I made a reservation for 5 people several days in advance. When we arrived, we were told it "would be a couple of minutes." About 25 minutes later, they lead us to a table on the second floor that was right next to the kitchen. The kitchen does not have a door, so half of the table would have been staring directly into the kitchen. This was quite disappointing after having made a reservation and then almost a half hour wait. We requested a better table, which they provided after a few minutes. After we were seated, our waiter was great and the food was fantastic. Everyone in the group was happy with their steaks. We ordered them ranging from medium rare to very well done and they were all spot on.Special Features:
- PennpalPennpalVIPDined on 9/20/2014Went for a birthday dinner. Was placed in a far back room with very little charm and dropped ceiling with stains. The twin filet was very salty. The brick pressed chicken was dry as sawdust. Beef tenderloin was delicious as was the porterhouse.Special Features:
- Great nightDiningdailyDined on 9/20/2014Jared was an outstanding server. Steak was delicious!Special Features:
- Classic steakhouse with a twistRylandDined on 9/19/2014As a classic steakhouse with a modern twist, Grill 23 is a great alternative to some of the typical chain steakhouses in the neighborhood. Steak was cooked perfectly and the seafood dishes, including the Shellfish Chowder, were delicious. There were some reasonable gems on the winelist and service was prompt, but unassuming. The restaurant is lively and its a great option for a special night out or business dinner.Special Features:
- Good but not great foodsavoryeaterVIPDined on 9/19/2014Grill 23 is a mainstay in Boston. My husband has had many business dinners here, but this was my first time. The atmosphere was lively, the food fresh with good ingredients (we appreciated the humanely raised meats), but the end result was mixed, at least for my husband and me. He had the pot roast, which he thought was fantastic, though the noodles were blah. I had a blackened grouper special, which tasted barely blackened, no kick at all, and not enough sauce or other flavoring to add interest. We shared bread pudding, normally a favorite dessert, and found it disappointing. For the price, I expected something a little more special.Special Features:
- A fine steak houseTarzansgirlVIPDined on 9/19/2014Friends suggested that we dine here due to proximity to my hotel. Had lovely wine (house red), terrific cocktails, a perfectly prepared steaks. The side dishes of asparagus and creamed spinach were delicious but had a bit too much salt for my liking. The desserts were among the most enormous slices of cake I've ever seen and luckily tasted very nice. If you like steak, you will be happy here.Special Features:
- Came For Tots, Stayed For JoshcamiDined on 9/18/2014Grill 23, known for its 23 investors, was absolutely f a b u l o u s in every facet of the word! From the first people to greet us to our first dish, the calamari was beyond spectacular. Although the dining room seemed to be packed, our server still made us feel like the only table they had! OOMF. We had the swordfish steak which was great & truffle tots and mushrooms as our side. We had chocolate cake and profiteroles--good; beyond good. What really took our experience over the top was the kind and hilarious Josh that made us feel very at home. Can't thank that guy enough for his fantastic service which totally blew................all other servers outta the water!!!!!! Love this place would recommend to anyone for any dinner experience :)Special Features:
- Very disappointingRoxiannaDined on 9/18/2014I took my husband here for his birthday. He loves a good steak, but I don't eat meat and I can't consume milk products. I informed the waiter of this. Most good restaurants can accommodate a vegetarian or pescatarian, and in fact there were fish options on the menu. However, when I asked for olive oil instead of butter for the bread, it took three requests and it still was not brought until the entree arrived. When the waiter did bring it, he also brought parmesan cheese, he said, it was to make up for the late delivery. So no bread for me. After the meal my husband was finishing up his $200 bottle of birthday wine, so I thought I would have some coffee. The restaurant had no soy milk, or even non-dairy creamer, so no coffee for me either.Special Features:
- DISAPPOINTINGJudyDined on 9/14/2014We had heard so much about Grill 23 that we choose it for our anniversary dinner. MISTAKE! They sat us in the center of an empty Sunday evening restaurant. Appetizer of tomatoes/baratta - tomatoes were cubed and watery and baratta melted making it like an unappetizing cream of tomato soup! Oysters and accompanying sauces were great - best thing. Steaks were disappointing - had the 100 day aged sirloin and 100 day aged ribeye - had much better for much less. Service was spotty at best dinner delivered to wrong table and waiter walked away and had to be called back. Not so great for a high end restaurant. We also had to pour our own wine-after it was delivered, we didn't see our waiter for long periods of time. We will not return.Special Features:
- 11 year trend endsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/13/2014I've been going to Grille 23 for 11 years. I've brought clients and friends alike. After my experience on Saturday evening, I will not be back. Several dishes were cold and was sent back, and then brought back out COLD. Service was sub-par. They then tried to charge me for the cold meals that had to be sent back to be reheated twice. Something seems to have changed at this iconic Boston restaurant. I won't be going back.
- Great meal!SSssVIPDined on 9/12/2014Had a great time and a great meal at Grill 23. Found the restaurant via OpenTable. Was in town with some college buddies for a football game. Wanted a good steak and this place delivered. Not cheap but good was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayNYsteakeatrDined on 9/12/2014Steaks were very good. Appetizers, not bad. Side dishes were average.Special Features:
- dinnereatswellwhentravellingDined on 9/11/2014very loud at 8:30 p.m. on a Thursday, almost too loud for conversation, but the food was amazing. best crab cake I've ever eaten - all crab, no filler. tuna/salmon appetizer better than most sashimi; beef was extraordinary. no room for desert, but took coconut cake to go - awesome. server was great - friendly, knowledgeable. only wish it was quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston surpriseao920Dined on 9/11/2014Arriving in Boston in the late afternoon, we wanted to try and have a really good meal. Preferably steak. We got exactly that. The Ceaser salad was mediocre but everything else was wonderful. I don't eat steak often but I have to say it was one of the best filet mignon I ever had. Melt in your mouth. If you are lucky enough to get a reservation, you will definitely enjoy your meal. It was a bit noisy, as most large popular restaurants are, so not the best for an intimate conversation.Special Features: