Grill 23 & Bar
161 Berkeley Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Grill 23 & Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.grill23.com/
- Phone: 6175422255
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:30pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Bar: Opens at 4:30 Daily. PLEASE NOTE: Neither shorts nor athletic wear are permitted in the main dining room. They are permitted in the bars and private dining rooms, as space permits.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jay Murray
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Wine
- Catering: For Private Dining Information, please contact Brian Mills
A word from Grill 23 & Bar
Grill 23 & Bar has been Boston’s top Steak and Seafood Grill for over 25 years. Consistently named Boston's Best Steakhouse by The Improper Bostonian Magazine and Boston Magazine, as well as New England's Best Steakhouse in New England Travel & Leisure Magazine. Always striving to offer our guests the best dining experience, Executive Chef Jay Murray delivers only the best all natural dry-aged prime beef to our customers. In addition to the A La Carte selections, Chef Murray creates an innovative and inventive weekly Signature Specials menu, which emphasizes the region’s freshest bounty. Grill 23 & Bar proudly offers a 900+ bottle wine list that encompasses wines from around the world and is the recipient Wine Spectator’s Best of-Award of Excellence since 2002.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Grill 23 & Bar - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Grill 23 & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
331 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (220)notable wine list (158)fit for foodies (113)good for groups (105)romantic (104)vibrant bar scene (64)hot spot (51)neighborhood gem (40)great for lunch (9)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (3)Show More
- OlivadiDined on 8/15/2014Grill 23 offers an energetic environment, an old world allure, a great wine list, and a very attentive staff. This restaurant is suitable for any occasion formal or informal. The menu offers a variety of dishes to satisfy any palate or dietary needsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Overall wonderful experience from the time we arrived. The staff were so accommodating to our request for table change and then gave prompt and courteous service throughout the evening. Great wine recommendation, terrific presentation of the food and delicious! Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Business dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014We had reservations for 8 they easily accommodated an addition for 9. Great wine selection, attentive service, and fantastic presentation. We had an all round awesome dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodMshapsVIPDined on 8/12/2014Certainly Top Steak in Boston, I dont even think that can be in questionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a steak placeBackBay2PleasantBayDined on 8/11/2014It is what it is. For that much money, why not opt for interesting cooking? A great place to take people who have flat palates. Especially on expense account.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteakfatkidatheartDined on 8/9/2014Classic steak house feel it's exactly as advertised a timeless experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing steaks and experienceSteveDined on 8/9/2014I've been to all most of the great steakhouses everywhere I've lived and visited. I make it a point to go out for a high quality steak at least 6 times a year. Grill 23 is one of the best of the best. The food was perfect and the staff was excellent. The sommelier was helpful but not pretentious at all and made a great recommendation. You cannot go wrong at Grill 23.Special Features:
- Just eat the steakTreatMeDined on 8/9/2014The steak was out of this world. We had filet mignon and the ribeye and they were amazing. Tender, flavorful, and cooked perfectly. The wine suggested was terrific. The appetizers, sides, and desserts were okay, with the hashbrown and the profiteroles being a bit burned. Morton's has better apps, sides, and desserts. They did put us in a quieter room, but the time it took us to walk there made it feel like we were in a factory. This place is gigantic, which was not what we expected from a non-chain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb serviceLauraTDined on 8/9/2014The food and ambiance was great, but what made the evening special was after asking for an item we had previously enjoyed which was no longer on the menu, they brought it in from their sister restaurant so as not to disappoint us. Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatsfanDined on 8/9/2014Disappointing. We were early in the evening, the restaurant was empty, and I had asked for a quiet table near the window. We got neither until I pushed, and even then not really what we wanted...the appetizer, a "chopped salad" arrived 5 minutes after we ordered, and contained no salad and was awful. Our entrees arrived 5 minutes after we finished our salads. I ordered seared tuna, which was tasteless. My date's steak was nothing special. All in all, not worth the money at all...
- A bit Loud but Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Is a somewhat noisy place, but the service, food, and otherwise great setting make up for it. Would definitely recommend and return!Special Features:
- Fine diningS6FezDined on 8/4/2014Last night in Boston before return to UK so wanted a great steak and was not disappointed, was a Monday evening so not very busy but received excellent service from first to last minute. Went for the Crab Cake start and fillet mignon asked for medium and it was perfect cheeky hot fudge sundae (I did say it was the last night of holiday) everything was A+ and a great last night was badSpecial Features:
- IlikedrpDined on 8/4/2014Great meal! Fantastic waiter. We will return to grill 23!
- Dinner for family reunionBostonsteak2014Dined on 8/3/2014Excellent food. Appetizer oysters were good too. "The best of the best" rib steak was absolutely amazing, we ordered another plate to share. Aged to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, excellent serviceThayer2Dined on 8/2/2014Went for dinner with a party of 8. They put our party in a private room upstairs. The staff was friendly and helpful and the food exceeded our high expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food too much noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Had a great meal, with great service, but the room was so loud it was hard to have a conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mkbostonVIPDined on 8/1/2014Have eaten at Grill 23 many times. was disappointed this time. perhaps it was what i ordered. salmon/tuna tartare very bland . the one soft shell crab with two scallops entree overrated and way over priced. ill be back but will stick with more traditional items.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back bay standoutRossDined on 8/1/2014Very attentive staff from host to bus. Food pricey but perfectly prepared and presented. Go early for all the good things and less noise ( which was so loud at times we could not hear each other)Special Features:
- Grill23NICADined on 7/31/2014Better steak then any place in NY. Bread was excellent and the butter was creamy and delightful. Flat bread is extremely spicy. I love spicy this was really spicy. Caesar salad was descent. The steaks Kobe, filet mignonette, to NY Sirloin everyone said wax fantastic. French frys are excellent. They can improve the cream of spinach. All in al it was a terrific eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Recommended by a friend and totally enjoyed it. Great service and food. Pricey but worth it - will definitely go back!
- New bar upgrade changed ambianceLoriPDined on 7/26/2014The new bar upgrade changed the ambiance of Grill 23. Bartender not friendly that evening. We requested to be waited on by Chris and they did not accommodate our request. Food was okay. We are usually so impressed with the food and service and this evening we will be rethinking our next diner to Grill 23. Disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing fooddisappointingDined on 7/25/2014Our shrimp cocktail appetizer did not taste fresh. My wife's very expensive Kobe steak was chewy and fatty. We tried to send it back, but the restaurant offered us only free deserts in exchange. For the side dishes, the mashed potatoes were delivered lukewarm and the peas were dry and stale tasting. This meal cost $200. We had better meals in town for $75.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the Grill AgainSouthboroughVIPDined on 7/25/2014Another enjoyable evening at the grill. We reserved the Alcove and it was perfect for our out of town guests. Our guests were shocked that some of their favorites wines were available. The meals were very good with one exception - the rosotto. It never comes out right here. Stick to the main choices. Sordfish was excellent. Usually our service is perfect but our server seemed to have an attitude and it was early in the evening. He was rather shocked and questioned one of our guests when they ordered a beer along with dessert - bad form. All this said we will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014WE MADE RESERVATION FOR 6:30 PM FOR 5 AND WE STILL HAD TO WAIT BECAUSE OUR TABLE WAS NOT SET UP FOR 5. THE FOOD WAS WELL PREPARED BUT THE NOISE LEVEL WAS VERY LOUD . WE HAD TROUBLE WITH THE WAITER TRYING TO TAKE OUR ORDERS. WE CAME HERE FOR A SPECIAL OCCASION WHICH WAS MY WIFE BIRTHDAY. I DONOT THINK WE WILL BE BACK THERE ON A FRIDAY NIGHT. IT IS JUST TOO LOUDSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Meetingsteak4meDined on 7/23/2014My coworkers and I took a client to Grill 23 & Bar for a late-night dinner. The ambience was pleasant but we found the restaurant to be very loud which made it difficult to have a conversation. I guess it didn't matter though, because as soon as the steaks came all conversation stopped as we savored the food! I had the 18 oz. ribeye which was AMAZING and my coworkers had the filets. We were all very pleased with the meal and would recommend Grill 23 & Bar to anyone looking for an exceptional steak. Maybe not the best place to conduct a business meeting but it's definitely an excellent place to go after and enjoy some great food and drink!Special Features:
- Business DinnerUIABizDined on 7/22/2014Grill 23 always delivers. Food and service are excellent, staff is attentive without being disruptive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grill 23 & BarCindyDined on 7/22/2014Beautifully decorated restaurant. Spacious dining area with multiple levels. Impeccable wait service. I had the skirt steak which came as 2 thin 3" squares of beef that very flavorful, and moderately easy to cut. My husband had the pot roast which cut with a fork and was divine. I really enjoyed the skirt steak, but was sorry I hadn't chosen the pot roast after one taste. We shared the profiteroles for dessert which presented as 3 pastry covered vanilla ice cream servings and topped with hot fudge and whipped cream....yum. This dinner was one of our favorite meals in the 14 days of touring the New England area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere and Delicious FoodWineanddineDined on 7/20/2014My family and friends (table of 8)dined at Grill 23 while in Boston for business. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere very much. I had a shrimp cocktail and chopped salad and was somewhat disappointed in the salad (too little salad for the price and very few greens) BUT everything else was great. I tried several of the other entrees. The Mac and Cheese was to-die-for but again, a pretty small serving for the price ($10). Very good food overall and well presented. The coconut cake was excellent, as well. We enjoyed the $23 selection of wines which are available on Sundays and Mondays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Awaits YouJWeisbrodVIPDined on 7/20/2014Grill 23 is a large steak house with great steaks and other delicious fare. The excellent food is complemented with a courteous staff and attentive management making your visit perfect from start to finish!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Everything was just great. Service, food and the drinks. The atmosphere was electric, we never felt rushed. We will definitely 100% be back. I would recommend Grill 23 to anyone I know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grill 23AnneDined on 7/19/2014Outstanding food and atmosphere!!! We are never disappointed when we dine at Grill 23.Special Features:
- Good, but disappointingBoston23Dined on 7/18/2014We went expecting high prices and were not disappointed in that area. For such an upscale restaurant, it was definitely lacking a flower or candle on the table! Presentation of good was not special, in fact there was no PRESENTATION!, no edging even of parsley. My Caesar salad was just plopped on a plate, I have been to a restaurant where it was served in a cheese shell, I will always remember that.food was good, NOT OUTSTANDINGSpecial Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Brought my boyfriend here for his birthday dinner. Had a wobbly table that the waiter fixed gracefully when he noticed. Great food. Spot on service. My only complaint is that our table was a bit small but there was a ledge that we and the waiter utilized. Great for a special occasion if you have the money to spend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- League leaderOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/17/2014Never fails and nobody compares! Front of the house to back always a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to Del Frisco'sCoCoDined on 7/17/2014I made a reservation for 5 people. We arrived and the host took us upstairs and walked us to a table. He looked confused... The table was set for 8 people and he said, do you mind waiting? We said, sure but we can sit here, we don't mind.. He said no, I think there's been a mistake. He came back and seated us at a square table for 4. My daughter has been in the restaurant business so she reached under the table unlatched some hooks and now we had a circular table for 5. Okay, the waiter was like a joke. We asked him how the mac and cheese is and he shrugged and said it's "okay" This went on with other things we asked about. The saving grace to our disastrous night was a tall waiter with a beard and a gregarious charm.Special Features:
- Excellent food, excellent serviceVikiVIPDined on 7/17/2014We ate dinner in the upstairs bar with our two children and had an absolutely perfect dinner. We ate early ( 530pm), and we had pristine service through our entire dinner. The meal itself was amazingly good, and we did not leave hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceBayouCajunDined on 7/12/2014Impeccable service. The oysters were outstanding. Steak was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionJennifer21VIPDined on 7/12/2014Quite possibly the best dining experience in Boston. Not only are the staff attentive and friendly (thank you Jake, Brad, Benji, and Jeff!), the steaks are always perfectly cooked to your specifications, and the wine selection is impressive. Keep up the good work Grill 23!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to enjoy dining outjoanieDined on 7/12/2014We were celebrating a birthday. Hadn't been there in years and was very impressed. Beautiful bar and loved 2-tier restaurant. Most in the party had beef and were very satisfied. Sides were OK. Prefer onion strings to those we had. Server was a stand-out. Answered questions, good sense of humor and very attentive. Usually prefer the waterfront but would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Professional Dining ExperienceKRaiderDined on 7/11/2014From our first entry through the doors, you are greeted by clean cut gentlemen wearing two piece suits, servers that are professional and versed in providing upscale service. The food is elegant and plated with care and artistry. We will return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.