Grill 23 & Bar
161 Berkeley Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Grill 23 & Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.grill23.com/
- Phone: (617) 542-2255
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:30pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Bar: Opens at 4:30 Daily. PLEASE NOTE: Neither shorts nor athletic wear are permitted in the main dining room. They are permitted in the bars and private dining rooms, as space permits.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jay Murray
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Wine
- Catering: For Private Dining Information, please contact Brian Mills
A word from Grill 23 & Bar
Grill 23 & Bar has been Boston’s top Steak and Seafood Grill for over 25 years. Consistently named Boston's Best Steakhouse by The Improper Bostonian Magazine and Boston Magazine, as well as New England's Best Steakhouse in New England Travel & Leisure Magazine. Always striving to offer our guests the best dining experience, Executive Chef Jay Murray delivers only the best all natural dry-aged prime beef to our customers. In addition to the A La Carte selections, Chef Murray creates an innovative and inventive weekly Signature Specials menu, which emphasizes the region’s freshest bounty. Grill 23 & Bar proudly offers a 900+ bottle wine list that encompasses wines from around the world and is the recipient Wine Spectator’s Best of-Award of Excellence since 2002.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Grill 23 & Bar - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Grill 23 & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
379 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (234)notable wine list (174)good for groups (150)fit for foodies (147)romantic (111)hot spot (84)vibrant bar scene (73)neighborhood gem (54)late-night find (17)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Lots of $$$'s, but worth itclarkDined on 11/22/2014A big night out for us is in the $100-150 range for dinner, all-in. For the wife's birthday, I thought we'd go a little above and beyond and try Grill 23. Not a disappointment, at all. The service was fantastic. The food was fantastic. It's expensive, but you really get what you pay for. I wish I could afford this kind of service regularly. It was amazing. Highly suggested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014This was my second time here and it's by far my favorite steak house in Boston. The food is to die for and the service is outstanding. A waiter dropped a tray of drinks near our table and we were comp'd 2 drinks off our bill for our inconvenience, although there really wasn't an inconvenience. I can't say enough good things about this place. It's not cheap though, so plan accordingly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will come there again!BostoniansDined on 11/21/2014A very nice place with delicious food. A bit noisy on the first floor but we were lucky to sit on the 2nd one and it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big NightHowieVIPDined on 11/17/2014Go big here. The food and wine are excellent, and the service is good, though not excellent, lacking some tact ("no, once again we're not finished with that plate") and really much personality. Still did not get in the way of a great date night dinner. Definitely one of Boston's bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousAnonymousDined on 11/15/2014Make your reservation enough in advance. We made our same day and initially had 5pm or 930 to choose from, later on in the day an 830 suddenly sprung up so we nabbed it. I got the pot roast which was more than amazing, one of the most delicious things I ever ate. My fiance got the filet Mignon, which he said was great too. Also, we started with the burrata which was so delicious and interesting! It was like a soft mozzerella on a green salsa with cranberry-which you wouldnt think is good but it was! We ended with the creme brulee, it was just an all around amazing dinner. The only that that could have made it better was a more personable waiter, I think they are told not to be too friendly and just be focused on delivering the meal, I was looking for recommendations and suggestions but the waiter didnt seem to have time to discuss the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014We weren't seated until 9pm for an 8:30 reservation. The host kept telling us that we would be seated in a few minutes. That seemed a bit unprofessional for an establishment like Grill 23. However, other than that the food was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were seated 30 minutes after our reservations.KellieJoVIPDined on 11/15/2014After waiting more than 3o minutes to be seated from our reservations time, we were seated in the bar area at a high top table without being asked. When we complained, they said we could "wait" for another two top in the dining room but it was Saturday night and couldn't promise when a table would be available. My steak tartare was average as it was tough and stringy. My husband's filet was excellent as well as the sides. But it was difficult to enjoy any aspect of the meal while my chair was being bumped into by the crowd in the bar.
- $50 undercooked steaks all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Went for dinner on a Saturday with a party of seven andFour people in our party including myself ordered steaks. Every steak that was ordered were supposed to be medium. When the steaks came out three of the steaks were rare. I was the only one to send the plate back I should have received a new steak cooked to my liking. In stead I got the same steak which was chewy and still undercooked. I was so upset I did not finish my steak and the other two were also not finished. It's really upseting to pay $50 for a steak and not have it cooked to your liking or without a manager following up. Our server Dan should've taken care of of better. Would never have happened at Ruth Chris
- PeterDined on 11/14/2014Worse experience ever. 20 min+ waiting time to be seated despite reservation. Finally got a table in front of the kitchen with noise ++ This place is overcrownded, run over-capacity and not worth your time. Will never go back.
- Grill 23 gets A's for consistencyTonyBVIPDined on 11/14/2014It's been the "Go-To" restaurant for us for years. I have yet to have a mediocre experience and I've had dinner at the Grill a hundred times. Here's looking forward to the next hundred.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining - Bring Your Waller!Ulysses48Dined on 11/13/2014A wonderful restaurant with superb food and a high quality professional staff. Not for the budget conscious diner but well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Good food and service but the noise is too loud and unbearable. Impossible yo have an close conversation really enjoy too go out of that placeSpecial Features:
- Dry-aged beefkenhokuDined on 11/10/2014I could highly recommend dry-aged beef for steak, however the level of raw oyster and clum were soso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceEvoeVIPDined on 11/10/2014I don't rem my waiter name but he was fantastic. Great service very attentive and full of information.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food in a classy placeFloMDined on 11/9/2014Experience at Grill 23 was memorable for the great food we were served. The meat is from prime origins, cooked and grilled to perfection: best ribeye I have ever had! The sides and other plates are also excellent. Special mention to the delicious and varied bread served through the dinner. Deserts are gigantic and very good. The place is very nice, classy and traditional steakhouse. Simply very noisy!Special Features:
- juanVIPDined on 11/9/2014Just what a steak restaurant should look like. Excellent service and food would return with out questionSpecial Features:
- Impeccable Service and Food!PinheadVIPDined on 11/9/2014On a Sunday evening, Grill 23 was bustling with diners. There is a reason why this restaurant has a long history and has been thriving throughout those years. It is excellent in every aspect of delivering a superb experience. The cap steak is like no other--a real treat! Grill 23 is one of Boston's best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- partyoffourVIPDined on 11/7/2014We had a reservation. When we arrived they told us to have a seat at the bar until our table was ready. We waited a while. My husband decided to check about our table. He was told our table was ready and thus he called me over to the host desk. We were waiting to be seated and we kept waiting. Our table was given to another couple. They did not verify that they were taking the correct couple to the table.
- Boston's Bestluv2dineVIPDined on 11/7/2014For a change we thought we'd try an independent steak house. 23 Grill was a good choice. The steak was great and the side dishes quite different and delicious.Special Features:
- A special placeDianeDined on 11/7/2014We decided to treat our son for his 29th birthday. He picked Grill 23 & bar. My husband and I arrived about 20 minutes early so decided to get a drink at the bar. The martinis were great and the housemade potato chips were delicious. We were seated in the main area downstairs. It was a tad tight, but not too bad. Because it is so open it was a bit loud, but we could still carry on a conversation. We started with drinks and appetizers. I had the oysters. Delicious. I had the fish special. It was good. The other three in our party had beef. Both my husband and son remarked that it was the best steak they had ever had. That is saying something. For dessert I enjoyed a slice of coconut cake. All in all we would definitely return to Grill 23 & Bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convention vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014This is my third time to Grill 23 and it will likely be the last. WE were put at a table near the kitchen and the activity level and noise made it tough to hold a conversation. The side veggies were only average. It has slipped into the kind of safe place conventioneers would go rather than a fine Boston institution.Special Features:
- Terrific dinnerLB50Dined on 11/7/2014We are visiting Boston after leaving the area and I haven't been back to Grill 23 for over 10 years. The place looks great after the remodel and the food is as good as ever. My daughter is a gluten-free vegetarian and the chef was very happy to make accommodations for her. The food was incredible and the service was outstanding. I highly recommend Grill 23 and I will definitely be back for my next trip.Special Features:
- Always SuperbBigDataDined on 11/7/2014In town for a Friday conference and did not want to sit in traffic, so I asked my family to meet me for dinner somewhere in Boston. I waited to the last minute to make an OpenTable reservation... And wala, 23 had one opening for 3. We showed up 10 minutes thereafter and were welcomed to a delightful table on the first floor. Our reservation was at the opening bell; it's amazing how many staff they have and how they huddle right before kickoff. Needless to say our waiter was perfect: tentative, knowledge, and gracious. We ordered three signature dishes: Filet, Roast, and Cod. Everything was prepared to our specifications and arguably one of the best meals we have had in many years. Worth the time and price. Always Superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steakhouseGrill23Dined on 11/5/2014Grill 23 is great place to go for a steakhouse dinner in Boston. Great service and food. Only comaint is the noisy dining room. Private rooms offer comfort and quiet for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experience!funnightoutDined on 11/5/2014My fiance and I came here for his birthday and the food was delicious and the service was absolutely amazing! The wine list is impressive and the cocktails were very good, too. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strongDinnertimeDined on 11/4/2014Steaks, wine, and service were outstanding. Sautéed spinach a little bitter and heavy on the oil. Hash browns a little undercooked in the middle, but had a great crunch on the outside.Special Features:
- Great food, Loud atmospherebuckizeVIPDined on 11/3/2014While visiting Boston, my wife and I were told to go to Grill 23 for "the best steak" in town. The food didn't disappoint. The ribeye and filet were cooked to our specifications. Side dishes were good as well. However, it was so noisy in the restaurant, we couldn't hear ourselves talk. Accoustically, the roof is domed and reflects the sound. In addition, we sat besides a dresser in the back where silverware was stored. The waiters were constantly opening the drawer and paid no attention to how much clanging or banging they were making. Go for the food, stay away if want a romantic date.Special Features:
- Food worthy of the priceRobesrangerDined on 11/1/2014This place is pretty expensive, but the quality and attention to detail made it worth it. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Great food, service and atmosphere with an impressive wine list. Great to entertain business partners or just celebrate a special occassion.Special Features:
- Great service even better foodCtlevDined on 11/1/2014I have never had a bad experience going here is one of the surest thing I can depend on for a good night with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best steak in BostonLindasusanDined on 11/1/2014Fabulous food. The food was excellent despite the less than perfect service.Special Features:
- Grill 23 BostonFabulouscubaforrealVIPDined on 10/28/2014group of 10 - business- friends- amazing night- from top to bottom... worth it...Special Features:
- Great steaksNoss2000Dined on 10/25/2014One of the best place for steaks in Boston, great for groups. You can do your pHD on thir wine list and the 50-60$ wines are great (most of the wines are in the $500 average price). Overall it was a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful overall experienceLovetodineVIPDined on 10/25/2014Everything was very good. We sat upstairs and it was a little quieter. Food was delicious. Steaks and fish dishes were cooked perfectly. Service was perfect. Can't really say anything more.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overall...Ricalves74Dined on 10/25/2014This is not my first time here.... Every time it's great experience. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Very Good Meal, Pricey Wine ListRichardVIPDined on 10/25/2014This is a very good high end steak house. The food was generally very good. The Tater Tots were an exception; they were bland, mushy, and underseasoned. Although I passed, the rest of my group ordered dessert and they were all a big hit, especially the chocolate cake! The markups on the wine are a bit over the top. The list is extensive but I felt a bit taken by the prices. As wine is an important part of the dining experience for me, I won't be back.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014Everything about dinner was fantastic. Our waiter was very accomodating to my requests and even offered substitions to fit my dietary restrictions. The steaks were cooked perfectly! We've been disappointed with other steakhouses who have overcooked our steaks but our steaks came out perfectly medium-rare. They are on top of their service and the food is always amazing. Great place for our anniversay dinner - we were not disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grill 23rbostonDined on 10/25/2014excellent food, excellent service, and excellent atmosphere. I have been to Grill 23 before and it consistently rates as a top dining experience for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to the hype.MysticODBVIPDined on 10/24/2014One of the last remaining steakhouses in the city I had not been to, and it was everything it was hyped up to be. The food was fantastic and perfectly served/cooked to order. The only "complaint" would be in the "100 day aged ribeye." While I knew going into it that it was wet aged and that is in the normal process out here for steak ageing after slaughter it is a misleading term to those who dont know. It was a perfectly fine Ribeye and was just like most great steakhouse ribeyes, but if you want something that tastes a little more "aged" stick to things with "dry age" in the title. Will come back for sure, not a real complaint at all just a friendly consumer heads up. I prefer ribeye's so I will still order it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall SatisfyingFoodAllergiesDined on 10/24/2014Go here for the steak; this is where the price is actually worth it. The cod was decent but overpriced for what you are paying. Service was good, but the waiter brought the food and I am not joking by the time I looked up he was gone. With that being said, he was attentive to my issues (food allergies), and double-checked on everything. A little pretentious though, which I do not like (your job is service!).Special Features: