244 E. 46th St.
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.grifonerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2124907275
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Grifone
Taking its name from the mythological lion-headed, eagle-winged monster—Grifone's statues and paintings inside depict the restaurant's namesake—this cozy Northern Italian restaurant flies below the radar. It is all about sauces, with many dishes reflecting the restaurant's regional roots with wine or butter-and-lemon sauces. A thin glaze of seasoned white wine sauce adds a sharply intense flavor to the large slabs of swordfish, while the tomato and cream sauces do more than just complement the various pastas, they add a finely calibrated sweetness. — David S. Hirschman (nymag.com)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Grifone reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)special occasion (16)fit for foodies (11)romantic (9)notable wine list (6)good for groups (4)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014Took a Wall Street customer there he was very impressed. Started out at the bar with unique Martinis to then walking past the fresh seafood choosing are fish for the night to the great relaxed non pressure service. Some great wine Ended up with 3 hour dinner from cocktails to desert. James made us feel like we were the only ones there. My 4th visit to Thalassa, once by myself the other two with my wife.Special Features:
- vikkiartofdesignDined on 9/9/2014Everytime we dine there, we are treated so special, the staff, the food, and the atmosphere is great. And on any given night, you may see a special celebrity guest sitting next to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrifoneLisaProDined on 9/3/2014I had never eaten here before and was a bit hesitant to try a new place I had never heard of. However, the staff could not have been nicer and Mario, the owner made us feel at home. The food was incredible and the service outstanding. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableNYCmealsDined on 9/3/2014My wife and I met my brother and his wife who were visiting the City-from the opening cocktails and complementary bruschetta/cheese plate to the after dinner homemade grappa everything was great. The menu is full and varied, and everything delicious. The wait staff friendly and helpful-they divided up a couple of appetizers for us onto separate plates so we could all sample everything without reaching onto other people's plates. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014Grifone contiinues to be one of our favorite restaurants in New York. The quality of food and service has remained superb over the 30 years we have patronized it. Mario goes out of his way to be hospitable and to maintain the quality Grifone has always been known for.Special Features:
- odor problemSDJGVIPDined on 7/30/2014The restaurant had a very bad smell. If I had not been meeting a longtime friend for lunch there who recommended it, I would have walked out.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014On the pricey side but food is excellent and the waiters are very friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2014Peaceful, quiet oasis amidst the bustle and noise of the City. Wonderful place for relaxing conversation while enjoying fabulous food and wine.Special Features:
- HHBBDined on 6/23/2014Decor is a bit dated and needs sprucing up, but the food continues to be excellent.Special Features:
- AlexBVIPDined on 6/6/2014I haven't been to Grifone for a while but I won't be waiting too long to go again. Excellent food with a huge menu. This has become a rarity lately with Italian restaurants in the city. I'm amazed at how many top rated 'New" Italians have such tiny menus. I've even seen some with no veal on the menu! Give Grifone a try. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oasis of gentility & great cuisinefoodiesforeverDined on 5/31/2014Whenever my husband and I visit the Big Apple, Grifone is our first stop. The food is consistently top notch, the ambiance is quiet and soothing, and the service (particularly Mario) is incredibly welcoming and personable. It is an ideal restaurant for a romantic night out. You can hear each other talk and everything on the menu is cooked to perfection. Arrivederci!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad choiceMariahDined on 5/31/2014we reviewed this restaurant thru open table and zagat. when we arrived on a saturday night in ny and there were about 5 tables occupied and the restaurant smelled of mold and or fish we realized that we had a HUGE mistake. wine by the glass was mixed with last nights, if that, and a new bottle making it not very tasty. my entree which was pappadelle with cream sauce and spinach arrived with peas and bacon. it was returned to me with the spinach very very hot, so it had been microwaved. my husband's seafood over pasta was not very fresh. not a good choice at all. maitre d was busy chatting with friends and could not be too bothered to try to make this disaster right. so many great restaurant choices in ny this is for sure not one of them!Special Features:
- Classic NYC Neighborhood ItaliankghorningDined on 5/30/2014if you are looking for old school classic NYC italian go here! My husband has been doing neihborhood Italian since a child growing up there and we always seek it out. Overlooked gem near to so many places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out with auntsbembyDined on 5/27/2014This was a great restaurant a real gem in NYC , the food and service was great. There is four steps to climb to get into the restaurant which isn't great for handicap people. But its know my new place too hang outSpecial Features:
- The following 76 reviews are from the Grifone reviews archive.
- Great Food!Yum201VIPDined on 5/13/2014It's nice to know that the best Caesar salad AND best veal dishes AND best pasta in NYC are all under one roof in a beautiful townhouse restaurant. The owner, Mario, is charming.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemBobMDined on 5/10/2014Great restaurant!! Nice menu selections, great food, great service, great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful ItalianjerryVIPDined on 5/6/2014This was our first trip to Grifone. We were really delighted we came. Wonderful food with great prices for NYC. Authentic Italian cuisine prepared and presented with loving care. Good location for Theater.Special Features:
- Completely overratedDoubleCupVIPDined on 4/24/2014Completely overrated. Wouldn't go back. Decor was horrible, food average, prices too high. Service was good.
- Civilized restaurant-Good FoodnewjerseyguyDined on 4/7/2014I went to Grifone for the first time the other night. They greeted as if we were regulars. Wonderful Italian menu, very good food, excellant service. But as good as the food is the experience, just a very pleasant experience. I hope to go back many time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time to renovateWorldTravelDined on 4/3/2014I was looking for a place to have a quiet business lunch. As you walk in, there is a strong smell of mildew masked by air freshener - not a good sign. It's time to clean and renovate. Service is good and attentive. The food was good, I would say average. The price on the other hand was outrageous. For two dishes of pasta, two salads and one bottled water over $150!! For two. Not recommended.
- Authentic ItalianFeelingSpecialVIPDined on 4/1/2014Grifone was recommended by a friend. Boy, do I owe her one! Intimate dining, attentive service, the owner even stopped by to make sure everything was satisfactory. Good variety of dishes - more that just a 'pasta place'. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.LCLDNRDined on 3/31/2014Excellent food and service. Like the old time atmoshereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special nightkrabspiderDined on 3/28/2014Once again Grifone was a great choice for a special evening. Service was impeccable and friendly in a comfortable place. It just feels right and that adds so much. We go early so there is never any rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything from the food toBoomerDined on 3/22/2014Everything from the food to the servcie was excellent. The wine list was reasonably priced. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic quiet escape in mid-townToddlerDined on 3/19/2014Good spot to escape to in mid-town. Staff is very accommodating and the experience overall was wonderful. Good for groups. Team at Grifone handled our group of 8 with ease. Gorgeous seafood options at this gem. Would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant dinnerRandyDined on 3/15/2014We were looking for a restaurant close to our hotel and came across this restaurant on YELP. The reviews were mostly positive. We found the reviews to be spot on and thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. My only complaint might be that we seemed to be a bit rushed even though the restaurant was not crowded. Our waiter and the entire wait staff were very professional and courteous. For dinner, we had the hot antipasti, main course salmon and veal parmagiane. We also ask the waiter for a pasta side dish that was outstanding. I would not hesitate to recommend this place to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School ItalianTexaninNYDined on 3/8/2014Very quaint NY restaurant with outstanding authentic Italian food. This is the real deal if you're looking for true NYC dining. No tourists here. And, it's just a few doors down from the Sparks Steakhouse. Do yourself a favor and give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian cuisineSaucedVIPDined on 3/8/2014We always make a point to dine at Grifone whenever we are in New York. The experience never disappoints. The food is consistently great, along with the service. The menu is extensive and always makes decisions difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midtown Italian comfort foodDowntownDined on 3/7/2014Old time decor and reliable renditions of standards. Unfortunately typical midtown markups on average wines.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Private and off-the-beaten pathBeachcomber643Dined on 3/4/2014Needed a non-steak place for lunch near a client who works at 42nd & 3rd. This was one of two options that I came up with that I was interested in trying. I believe I selected this place because they had a long list of pastas for $20/plate which provided some safety for my clients sometimes selective tastes. The restaurant is on a relatively quiet side street and I don't think I would notice it if I wasn't looking for it. It's a somewhat long and narrow restaurant. The first impression is of a place that is very private, quiet, reserved and buttoned up. The food is good but neither great nor flashy or special.
- Great place for a business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/26/2014Had to meet with a new colleague of mine and needed a classic business lunch setting in the East 40's. Grifone hit the spot. One word to the headwaiter that we were on the clock, and we were in and out in an hour as promised, but never felt rushed by the staff. Lemon sole meunière was classically prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining out the way it should beOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/15/2014We live not far away and I've walked by Grifone many times but for some reason we had not tried it. Well, we've been missing out - we loved it! The food is great (hearty portions of traditional Italian dishes), with old-fashioned professional wait staff. No aspiring actors & actresses here. It's the ideal place to get cozy on a winter's eve. We will definitely go again, and Grifone may very well end up on our NYC restaurant short list of faves.Special Features:
- Great restaurantArtsysueDined on 2/14/2014Pricey but an excellent meal. I would definitely go back. I had the baked clams appetizer, chicken and veal special and a side of spinach that was delicious. Since it was Valentines day we ordered dessert which was this amazing cake of many creeps layered with whipped cream. It was divine. The waiter told us it was from the Lady M bakery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice little findcitydinerDined on 1/29/2014Quiet little restaurant in the east 40s..food and service both exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/15/2014My first time there. I went at the suggestion of a new friend I made on the Metro North. Grifone was everything he said it would be. Classic, old school Italian, with impeccable service. I recommend the trio of pastas appetizer, any kind of veal and baby clams in white wine sauce. Very nice experience. Good for a business dinner or intimate conversation.Special Features:
- Hidden gemNAM1Dined on 1/14/2014This restaurant is tucked away on 46th street and it fas a grea find. Thr food is wonderful and the service is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reunion DinnerKitty2050VIPDined on 1/9/2014Had dinner with a friend I hadn't seen in a while. We were a table for two, but the placement of the table was next to a column, so it felt like we were out in the middle of the traffic pattern to the back of the restaurant. It was a week night and not too crowded, so not sure why that table. Waiter was incomprehensible between his accent, fast talking and odd habit of looking all around when he was speaking to us. Neither of us could decipher what he was saying. Food was excellent, however. May give it another try.Special Features:
- Authentic ItalianLandBDined on 1/8/2014A great old-school Italian. If you miss the days of real New York Italian food, this is the place for you. Great dishes like melt-in-the-mouth Veal Milanese and creamy Paglia e Fieno can't be beat. The Caesar Salad was cold, crisp and perfect as were the shrimp. We can't wait to try the soups. It's not a trendy "scene" but rather a wonderful slice of Old New York style, delicious Italian dining. If you've never experienced that, get yourself to Grifone.Special Features:
- regularValndanDined on 1/7/2014I've been to Grifone many times over the past 4-5 years. The food and the service are consistently good. It's a good place for a business lunch/dinner as the noise level is low.Special Features:
- New Year's at GrifoneConsigliereDined on 12/31/2013Though jumping and chaotic with holiday mini-group activity, this bastion of fine dining still managed to live up to its reputation as one of the area's top Northern Italian spots. Host Mario made the evening thoroughly enjoyable with his warm attention to the table despite the close quarters that were made even tighter with the several ongoing holiday parties. Experienced some of the best cuisine of its kind, including a fine pasta bolognese and a deftly prepared branzino . Wonderfully attentive service that didn't miss a beat. Looking forward to dining there again soon without the crowded tumult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.