244 E. 46th St.
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.grifonerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 490-7275
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Grifone
Taking its name from the mythological lion-headed, eagle-winged monster—Grifone's statues and paintings inside depict the restaurant's namesake—this cozy Northern Italian restaurant flies below the radar. It is all about sauces, with many dishes reflecting the restaurant's regional roots with wine or butter-and-lemon sauces. A thin glaze of seasoned white wine sauce adds a sharply intense flavor to the large slabs of swordfish, while the tomato and cream sauces do more than just complement the various pastas, they add a finely calibrated sweetness. — David S. Hirschman (nymag.com)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Grifone reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)special occasion (15)fit for foodies (13)romantic (9)notable wine list (7)good for groups (5)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Grifone is our "go to" restaurantYum201VIPDined on 11/21/2014Grifone is our favorite NYC restaurant. We love going there for special occasions and try to get there once a month no matter what! With Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, you'll find us there for sure. The food is fantastic. The owner uses first-class ingredients and everything is truly fresh. The menu is huge. It's nice to get a plate with bruschetta, salami, cheese, olives, and pickles when we sit down and nibble on it while we're having a drink. From start to finish, the place is terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/7/2014Long time standby that always delivers. A very enjoyable late night dinner on short notice. The paglia e fieno is superb.Special Features:
- Great NY-style Italianmatty32VIPDined on 11/7/2014Out of towners staying in Midtown East wanted Italian not far from hotel. Food and service were excellent. The veal Bolognese over homemade papardelle was amazing! 5 of us arrived late, did a lot of catching up and even though we were the last table on a Friday night, were not rushed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly dissapointedAmberVIPDined on 11/6/2014We live in the neighborhood and often walked by and finally decided to visit. It smelled like my great grandmother house when we first walked in. And the food and service felt the same. Not grandma in her prime but grandma in her late 80's. It was eerily quiet and the service was less than friendly. The food also left a lot to be desired. And it was all way over priced...even for Mid-Town. Definitely a huge miss.Special Features:
- BillDined on 10/18/2014You could walk right by Grifone and not realize it is there but once inside you'll find an attractive, comfortable setting; a very nice bar area, and excellent food. Our waiter was attentive and did everything he could to make the experience a great one. Our whole group thoroughly enjoyed dinner. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningdinerDined on 10/11/2014Good service, good waiter, excellent food. Waiter even made arrangements for a special dishSpecial Features:
- Great food and serviceEnzorDined on 10/10/2014I met my family in the city for dinner. We took a chance on Grifone after reading some good things in reviews. I'm very picky about Italian but just about everyone's entree was fantastic and everyone left stuffed and impressed. The only feedback I have is that the tables are a bit tightly arranged but other than that we had an awesome night. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre and the smell remainsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/9/2014Didn't pay much mind to previous review complaining about the smell but entryway of restaurant is quite pungent. Was about the only strong thing encouraged during my evening at Grifone. It is a tired mid-town Italian without much charm. Food is just ok and service is adept but lacking personality. For the same cost you can enjoy a much more pleasant evening elsewhere and avoid the olfactory challenge.
- 2nd timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/8/2014We went 10 years ago in our first date. On that time food and service were excellent.
- Birthday CelebrationLunchladyDined on 10/7/2014Small but very intimate. Elegant, traditional and classy. Food outstanding. The only thing I would have to comment on was that I felt the Captain was a little pushy on what to order. I had already made up my mind on artichokes and clams. He made his suggestions on pasta in addition to what I wanted. I did not want to do that and he again made his suggestion and I again stated what I wanted, at this point it became more of an insistence on his part and I went along with it. The stuffed artichokes were delicious. The Clams Oreganata were a disappointment. They were too small, a couple were near burnt and dry. I make both dishes myself the artichokes were as good as mine the clams not even. I would go back again though.Special Features:
- SuperbAlexBVIPDined on 10/4/2014Grifone is an old style Italian with superb food and wines. It's been around for 29 years and if you go here you'll know why. Very well priced wine list and a very attentive owner doesn't hurt.Special Features:
- Lovely quiet ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014This restaurant has a great location, close to the hustle and bustle, and yet it is a really quiet restaurant with terrific food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackSDined on 9/15/2014Exceptional service with very good Italian food. Grifone delivers the traditional high quality NYC dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- NICEBCCDined on 9/10/2014Took a Wall Street customer there he was very impressed. Started out at the bar with unique Martinis to then walking past the fresh seafood choosing are fish for the night to the great relaxed non pressure service. Some great wine Ended up with 3 hour dinner from cocktails to desert. James made us feel like we were the only ones there. My 4th visit to Thalassa, once by myself the other two with my wife.Special Features:
- vikkiartofdesignDined on 9/9/2014Everytime we dine there, we are treated so special, the staff, the food, and the atmosphere is great. And on any given night, you may see a special celebrity guest sitting next to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrifoneLisaProDined on 9/3/2014I had never eaten here before and was a bit hesitant to try a new place I had never heard of. However, the staff could not have been nicer and Mario, the owner made us feel at home. The food was incredible and the service outstanding. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableNYCmealsDined on 9/3/2014My wife and I met my brother and his wife who were visiting the City-from the opening cocktails and complementary bruschetta/cheese plate to the after dinner homemade grappa everything was great. The menu is full and varied, and everything delicious. The wait staff friendly and helpful-they divided up a couple of appetizers for us onto separate plates so we could all sample everything without reaching onto other people's plates. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014Grifone contiinues to be one of our favorite restaurants in New York. The quality of food and service has remained superb over the 30 years we have patronized it. Mario goes out of his way to be hospitable and to maintain the quality Grifone has always been known for.Special Features:
- The following 85 reviews are from the Grifone reviews archive.
- odor problemSDJGVIPDined on 7/30/2014The restaurant had a very bad smell. If I had not been meeting a longtime friend for lunch there who recommended it, I would have walked out.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014On the pricey side but food is excellent and the waiters are very friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2014Peaceful, quiet oasis amidst the bustle and noise of the City. Wonderful place for relaxing conversation while enjoying fabulous food and wine.Special Features:
- HHBBDined on 6/23/2014Decor is a bit dated and needs sprucing up, but the food continues to be excellent.Special Features:
- AlexBVIPDined on 6/6/2014I haven't been to Grifone for a while but I won't be waiting too long to go again. Excellent food with a huge menu. This has become a rarity lately with Italian restaurants in the city. I'm amazed at how many top rated 'New" Italians have such tiny menus. I've even seen some with no veal on the menu! Give Grifone a try. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oasis of gentility & great cuisinefoodiesforeverDined on 5/31/2014Whenever my husband and I visit the Big Apple, Grifone is our first stop. The food is consistently top notch, the ambiance is quiet and soothing, and the service (particularly Mario) is incredibly welcoming and personable. It is an ideal restaurant for a romantic night out. You can hear each other talk and everything on the menu is cooked to perfection. Arrivederci!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad choiceMariahVIPDined on 5/31/2014we reviewed this restaurant thru open table and zagat. when we arrived on a saturday night in ny and there were about 5 tables occupied and the restaurant smelled of mold and or fish we realized that we had a HUGE mistake. wine by the glass was mixed with last nights, if that, and a new bottle making it not very tasty. my entree which was pappadelle with cream sauce and spinach arrived with peas and bacon. it was returned to me with the spinach very very hot, so it had been microwaved. my husband's seafood over pasta was not very fresh. not a good choice at all. maitre d was busy chatting with friends and could not be too bothered to try to make this disaster right. so many great restaurant choices in ny this is for sure not one of them!Special Features:
- Classic NYC Neighborhood ItaliankghorningDined on 5/30/2014if you are looking for old school classic NYC italian go here! My husband has been doing neihborhood Italian since a child growing up there and we always seek it out. Overlooked gem near to so many places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out with auntsbembyDined on 5/27/2014This was a great restaurant a real gem in NYC , the food and service was great. There is four steps to climb to get into the restaurant which isn't great for handicap people. But its know my new place too hang outSpecial Features:
- Great Food!Yum201VIPDined on 5/13/2014It's nice to know that the best Caesar salad AND best veal dishes AND best pasta in NYC are all under one roof in a beautiful townhouse restaurant. The owner, Mario, is charming.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemBobMDined on 5/10/2014Great restaurant!! Nice menu selections, great food, great service, great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful ItalianjerryVIPDined on 5/6/2014This was our first trip to Grifone. We were really delighted we came. Wonderful food with great prices for NYC. Authentic Italian cuisine prepared and presented with loving care. Good location for Theater.Special Features:
- Completely overratedDoubleCupVIPDined on 4/24/2014Completely overrated. Wouldn't go back. Decor was horrible, food average, prices too high. Service was good.
- Civilized restaurant-Good FoodnewjerseyguyDined on 4/7/2014I went to Grifone for the first time the other night. They greeted as if we were regulars. Wonderful Italian menu, very good food, excellant service. But as good as the food is the experience, just a very pleasant experience. I hope to go back many time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time to renovateWorldTravelDined on 4/3/2014I was looking for a place to have a quiet business lunch. As you walk in, there is a strong smell of mildew masked by air freshener - not a good sign. It's time to clean and renovate. Service is good and attentive. The food was good, I would say average. The price on the other hand was outrageous. For two dishes of pasta, two salads and one bottled water over $150!! For two. Not recommended.
- Authentic ItalianFeelingSpecialVIPDined on 4/1/2014Grifone was recommended by a friend. Boy, do I owe her one! Intimate dining, attentive service, the owner even stopped by to make sure everything was satisfactory. Good variety of dishes - more that just a 'pasta place'. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.LCLDNRDined on 3/31/2014Excellent food and service. Like the old time atmoshereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special nightkrabspiderDined on 3/28/2014Once again Grifone was a great choice for a special evening. Service was impeccable and friendly in a comfortable place. It just feels right and that adds so much. We go early so there is never any rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything from the food toBoomerDined on 3/22/2014Everything from the food to the servcie was excellent. The wine list was reasonably priced. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic quiet escape in mid-townToddlerDined on 3/19/2014Good spot to escape to in mid-town. Staff is very accommodating and the experience overall was wonderful. Good for groups. Team at Grifone handled our group of 8 with ease. Gorgeous seafood options at this gem. Would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant dinnerRandyDined on 3/15/2014We were looking for a restaurant close to our hotel and came across this restaurant on YELP. The reviews were mostly positive. We found the reviews to be spot on and thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. My only complaint might be that we seemed to be a bit rushed even though the restaurant was not crowded. Our waiter and the entire wait staff were very professional and courteous. For dinner, we had the hot antipasti, main course salmon and veal parmagiane. We also ask the waiter for a pasta side dish that was outstanding. I would not hesitate to recommend this place to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School ItalianTexaninNYDined on 3/8/2014Very quaint NY restaurant with outstanding authentic Italian food. This is the real deal if you're looking for true NYC dining. No tourists here. And, it's just a few doors down from the Sparks Steakhouse. Do yourself a favor and give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.