Griffou (fka Hotel Griffou)
21 West 9th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Griffou (fka Hotel Griffou)
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.griffou.com/
- Phone: 2123580228
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 6:00pm - 11:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Mark Strausman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Cross Street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
- Public Transit: A, B, C, D, E, F & M to West 4th Street, L, 4, 5, 6, N, R, W & Q to Union Square/14th Street, and 1, 2 & 3 to 14th Street and 6th Avenue.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample street and parking lot capacity in the neighborhood.
A word from Griffou (fka Hotel Griffou)
Located in the heart of Greenwich Village in New York City, Hotel Griffou offers a range of classic American and Rustic Italian dishes prepared by noted Chef Mark Strausman. The design of the restaurant reflects the building's 19th Century history as well as the artistic heritage of the neighborhood. A series of intimate rooms make Hotel Griffou an appealing choice for private events. Dress is elegant smart.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Griffou (fka Hotel Griffou) reviews from OpenTable diners
- While the menu on their websiteHKguyVIPDined on 6/27/2012While the menu on their website shows nine options of appetizers and another nine for main courses, the menu available at the meal had miserable five options of each. Was disappointed by the narrow selection. Food was okay, nothing to rave about. You're probably better off having drinks rather than dinner there.
- A Very Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/23/2012Griffou is located in what used to be a speakeasy, and the owners have gone to impressive lengths to evoke that bygone era. The staff is attentive, the mixology impressive, the food very good, and the ambience excellent. The restaurant's one significant deficiency is that the menu is very limited (5-6 offerings apiece for starters, mains and dessert). A vegetarian would find the pickings slim indeed which, in this day and age, is probably a mistake. Happily, I'm an omnivore, and I look forward to returning to Griffou in the near future. (It's also worth noting that the person who processed my OpenTable reservation made a real effort to honor my online request for a quiet table in a room with great atmosphere. Most impressive.)Special Features:
- Ear-splitting noise made itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2012Ear-splitting noise made it impossible to carry on a conversation. The server was great as was the rest of the staff, polite and friendly. However, too many thirty-something women w/ boring banker boyfriends had had too much wine and veritable screeching ensued. Not a good spot for mature adults though...Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, food is fine.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2012I selected Griffou as I truly adore the look, menu, and location of the establishment. That being said, our server was painfully uninteresting with little charisma or personality to offer. After he'd leave, we smiled to each other in thanks. Dinner was fine, and not highly priced. There was a point later on where '90's music started blasting from upper corner speakers, which was a disconnect to the space. Overall, I will continue to go back as the food was good, the atmosphere was sumptuously dark and haunting- just what we came for!Special Features:
- Enjoyed our dinner at GriffouBenTVIPDined on 6/2/2012Enjoyed our dinner at Griffou very much. Very impressed with the decor, ambiance. I'm not great at describing that sort of thing, but it had an old timey yet chic feel. The spicy grilled octopus was very good. Not the best I've had in the city, but quite good, and a healthy portion. The penne pasta was excellent. Very simple, in a good way, very fresh. Service was very good, no complaints at all, the server was helpful, answered our numerous questions easily, gave recs, etc. Had a nice time, would definitely recommend.
- Love the bar and the drinks!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2012Love the bar and the drinks! The atmosphere was trendy and chic without being loud, noisy, young an stupid.Special Features:
- A bit disappointing. NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2012A bit disappointing. Nice location but probably better for drinksSpecial Features:
- Enjoy the atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2012Swanky and fun place to try. The food sounds better than it tastes, but they get points for effort. They're known for their drinks.Special Features:
- Love the ambience and servicefifiDined on 5/7/2012Love the ambience and service was friendly but a little too quick to clear. They weren't waiting on tables. But it still felt just a little hurried. Overall though I liked it and would go back again!Special Features:
- Music almost killed the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2012The interior is stunning and the space is made up in a way that harkens back to old New York. The food was very good with a creative yet accessible menu. Unfortunately, the entire experience was almost destroyed with horrible, loud music. We asked the waiter to turn it down twice in the back dining room before he finally did but it was still playing loudly in the bar area and really detracted from the ambience. I have no idea why a place decorated like that would play music like it was a Murray Hill hook up bar. Figure out an identity and stick to it.Special Features:
- Really gorgeous decor withlululemonVIPDined on 4/8/2012Really gorgeous decor with small intimate rooms-perfect for a date night or drinks with a few friends. Definitely a nice spot for cocktails, food was pretty good but I'd be more inclined to come back for drinks versus dinner. Too many great spots in the West Village for food.Special Features:
- My husband and I were veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/7/2012My husband and I were very rushed. Within minutes of ordering our appetizers, they arrived...leading us to believe they were use waiting there. Within seconds of finishing the appetizers, the main course arrived. Creme brûlée was liquid.Special Features:
- Come if you're looking for ambianceCitymanJayDined on 3/31/2012Really enjoyed eating at Hotel Griffou as the ambiance is really spectacular. Loved all of the little rooms and the big round booths with the candelight lighting and 1920's decor. Great place to take someone from out of town, as the restaurant represents the best of the village's quirky uniqueness. I think overall the atmosphere is a little better than the actual quality of food. The brick-pressed chicken entree is far too large for one person and seems like a waste of food. The pizza special we ordered was just okay, nothing memorable. The chopped salad and arugula salad that was a special was good, but again, nothing outstanding. Come for a great atmosphere and get a lot of small bites and a bottle of wine for your best option.Special Features:
- Wonderful staff. ProfessionalOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/28/2012Wonderful staff. Professional and accurate. Great greeting, bartender and server. An all around great experience!Special Features:
- Ambiance was great. Pricesjme33VIPDined on 3/23/2012Ambiance was great. Prices are fair. Food was great. Service was excellent! They really paid attention to the fact that we were celebrating something special.
- Academy AwardGovernorDined on 3/20/2012Welcomed by Adam and made to feel at home. The bar host quality drinks and pleasant atmosphere. Our table and view gave one the warmth of 1873. Food which is critical was excellent. They delivered the strip bass with potatoes and squash with a sauce to die for. My dining partner went the pasta route with a sausage and broccoli rob and you could just see the enjoyment. Dessert was served for the two of us to enjoy. Chocolate cake and ice cream. To those who have not partaken - enjoySpecial Features:
- Big Disappointment. Won'tNYCfoodieDined on 3/9/2012Big Disappointment. Won't be going back. I eat at a lot of nice places in the city and this was not worth the hype at all.
- Our server (don't rememberOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/3/2012Our server (don't remember his name) was absolutely wonderful!!!!Special Features:
- what a great venue! veryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/2/2012what a great venue! very cool room, very solid food. haven't had this chef's food since he owned a resto called compagna, and lucky for me, the compagna meatballs were on thsi menu. highly recommend.Special Features:
- Shaky Oscar viewing.....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2012Went to watch the 2012 Oscars as I heard Griffou would be playing them on a big screen TV while you could also dine normally as you would at dinner-time.The only problem was that there were still technical issues with the tv, sound, etc. up until about 8:10pm after the preview show had ended and Oscars had already begun.We were very tempted to move on and go elsewhere as it should have been organized well in advance of 6:30pm that night, especially as they were advertised as a prime spot to watch the Oscars/2012 in NYC. Once, at approx 8:15pm, everything was fixed from a techinical standpoint,the rest flowed perfectly. Energetic/classy/fun crowd, staff was very accommodating reg. seating and food selections.Overall fabulous service and foodSpecial Features:
- I came here for the OscarOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/26/2012I came here for the Oscar event they were having and the only negative that I would give them is that they were having technical difficulties for the red carpet. However, the food and beverages, as well as the great service more than made up for it. They were also pouring complimentary champagne. I would definitely go back again next year!Special Features:
- Overall excellent restaurantluv2dineVIPDined on 2/17/2012Overall excellent restaurant with the exception of the waiter hitting on my boyfriend during my birthday dinner.
- Great dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2012Food was delectable, our waiter was awesome. Sat in the Kennedy room and my only complaint is we did not get seated at the fireplace (someone else was). Very nice and romantic, but go at 6 when it opens because it got crowded as we left.Special Features:
- A wonderful place, absolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012A wonderful place, absolutely loved the lasagna. Great drinks and a different look than usual restaurants, felt like secret place. Would definitely go back, perfect place to start a night out.
- I loved the atmosphere andIRG510VIPDined on 2/14/2012I loved the atmosphere and the service was excellent. Our server was so nice and attentive. The food was not very good, however. Our starter salads were pretty good, with beets, farro and goat cheese, but the pasta entrees were not very good, just average. My husband had a lasagna that they said was very authentic but there was nothing authentic about it except that it had meat sauce and pasta. It was covered in a creamy red sauce, which is not how it's done in Italy. I had orecchiette with broccoli rabe and sausage, which was so salty and oily. It was sitting in a pool of oil, so I gained 5 pounds from it and was guzzling water all night from the salt. The chocolate molten cake was just ok. I would not recommend it for the food but is fun.Special Features:
- Everything was fine, but IOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Everything was fine, but I was expecting better than fine given the prices and the pedigree of the staff.Special Features:
- Great spot for a date or friends.Nt2209VIPDined on 2/11/2012Great spot for a date or friends. Great vibe and can still have conversation. Cocktails are amazing! Adam, the host, was the best!Special Features:
- It's an 11DamienNYVIPDined on 2/10/2012I went there when it first opened and lasted 10 minutes due to noise level. I returned recently and made an earlier reservation. This place is incredible. Great food, amazing service and an accommodating and handsome wait staff. It's an 11 in my book and I am not easy to please.Special Features:
- amazing hidden gem feelsOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/8/2012amazing hidden gem feels like you are in someone's home with the fireplace and the stone great for groups, for work, for all women, all men, and can be very romantic with a table by the fireplaceSpecial Features:
- Such a great out of the wayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/6/2012Such a great out of the way place, wonderful New York Gem!!!Special Features:
- LOVE LOVE LOVEOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/4/2012One of my favorite restaurants in NYC. This place is hard to find as it is nestled underground on a residential street in W. Village. I have been several times and cannot find a single thing wrong with it (albeit it gets very busy after 9PM). The food is delicious food, the drinks are delicious and the people who work there and frequent the restaurant are gorgeous. If you are a history buff, the history of Hotel Griffou is enough reason to visit in and of itself. Whether it be for brunch, dinner, or just drinks this place is incredible and you should try it!Special Features:
- beautifully designed roomsOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 1/28/2012beautifully designed rooms & well prepared food - would go back in a flash if I didn't intend to speak to anyone at my table (much too noisy)Special Features:
- Cool Decor and Great Vibe at GriffoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2012Great ambience at Griffou. Cool decor and low lighting make it a nice place to be. Very attentive service and the food was very good. The meatball starter is terrific. For something a little different I would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- BrianOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/19/2012Great inventive drink menu, great cocktails. A lot of menu items are sourced from local producers. Similar to Freemans ... The service was slow, somewhat aloof, and not exactly cordial.Special Features:
- Lovely, cosy restaurant, maybeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2012Lovely, cosy restaurant, maybe a touch to dark, but the food was very innovative and absolutely fantastic.....Special Features:
- Great meal. Food came outOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/16/2012Great meal. Food came out almost too fast like it was already prepared. Everything was very good and ambiance great.Special Features:
- New Menu!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/4/2012Mark Strausman's new menu is a great improvement! Will definetly be back.Special Features:
- What a great place!! I wentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/23/2011What a great place!! I went with my girlfriend and we had a great time. The ambiance was so different from other nyc restaurants which we both loved. The food was great, we had he meatballs as an app and rib eye and brisket for an entree. The cocktail list had something for everyone and we enjoyed them. Not only was everything great, but our waiter was very polite and knowledgeable about the menu and drinks. Would definitely recommend!!Special Features:
- Great NightJudiVIPDined on 12/19/2011We both said it was one of the best meals we've had all year. Dinner was outstanding. And the service couldn't have been better.Special Features:
- Was looking forward to GriffouZachVIPDined on 12/17/2011Was looking forward to Griffou since I live nearby and it sounded nice. Surprisingly rude staff throughout the restaurant - from the bartenders, to waiters and others. Felt struck by an air of pretentiousness that I haven't felt in NYC for years. Food is mediocre. Would not recommend and will not return.