659 Zachary Taylor Hwy
Flint Hill, VA 22627Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://griffintavern.com/
- Phone: 5406753227x
- Hours of Operation:
Summer Hours: Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Winter Hours 12-8pm Sunday -Thursday , Fri and Sat 12-9, pub open later with late night menu available
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, English, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Rachel Rowland
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available, Please Chef Rachel Call 540-675-3227
- Private Party Facilities: We would be happy to host your private event and help decorate. Please contact us for details.
- Private Party Contact: Arthur Breon 5406753227x
- Entertainment: Live Music every Saturday night,Classic Rock,Blues,Motown, Beatles 9-12
Occasional Friday night Karaoke 8-11
Acoustic Friday nights
Trivia every Thurday night 7:30
- Special Events: Tap takeovers by local breweries
St. Patty's Day party
Halloween Costume Contest
A word from Griffin Tavern
Griffin Tavern is a casual dining restaurant with three cozy dining rooms, a “cheers” style Pub where friends and strangers mix and mingle and a wonderful outdoor area for seasonal dining(dogs on leashes welcome outside). We also have rooms upstairs that are perfect for private dining, small functions, and business meetings. Griffin Tavern is internet friendly with FREE WiFi access. Our menu features home-style cooked meals and pub favorites using fresh ingredients and local products: Fish n’ Chips, Shepherds Pie, Great Hamburgers, Seafood and Steak specials, as well as gluten free options, affordable appetizers, salads, and a Children’s Menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Griffin Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (9)romantic (7)scenic view (6)special occasion (6)neighborhood gem (6)great for lunch (5)good for groups (4)great for brunch (4)fit for foodies (3)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Poor serviceSwiftDined on 8/23/2014We had reservations and were placed in the upstairs room. We were forgotten. No water, no service at all. When we decided to leave 15 minutes later, there wasn't even a hostess to see on our way out of the door.
- A hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014We where out wine tasting and where finally getting hungry so I did a search near by and found one of the best places ive eaten in years! I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a local gemKMCRDined on 8/10/2014We picked this place b/c it was right equal distance for meeting family members for brunch that were traveling from various locations. We had never been and will probably be back soon. It is like walking in someone's home and getting some homemade meals. Everyone enjoyed their meals and the young lady that served us was delightful. They have outdoor seating on their wrap around porch with view of beautiful flower gardens. We knew we picked a good spot when we saw how many motorcycle groups stopped in to eat. The upper level of the home(restaurant) has an art gallery and there are several art pieces hanging throughout the lower level. Good prices, nice selection, tasty food, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Brunch Great ChefVickifromVAVIPDined on 8/3/2014We enjoyed every bite and Chef Jason is friendly and personable.Special Features:
- English food with a flair...HamchiDined on 7/28/2014The Griffin Tavern was recommended by the Rappahannock winery as a good place to eat. We looked up the reviews and it concurred with what the winery had said. We ate on a Monday night, which had some patrons, so it was perfect to be able to eat at a fine pace. The waiter was phenomenal at suggesting what wine to order and helped us make our dinner suggestion. I had the Shepard's Pie which reminded me of eating in England. It was amazing! My husband had a burger with pesto and blue cheese. He loved it! I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves to eat English type food with a flair of ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HistoricrskozDined on 7/20/2014Beautifully renovated old home. Limited menu but the food was very good. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Front Porch DininggofrontporchDined on 6/28/2014Wonderful Setting and Excellent Food. Menu changes often and always has delicious choices. I have rarely had the same meal twice and whatever my choice is I have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful local spot, a must!TravelnProDined on 6/20/2014If your in the general Warrenton VA area, this is a must date night destination, or a fun place to just grab a cold one and be part of a good local crowd. Food was very good for a non high-end restaurant. I had a steak dinner which was cooked perfectly, and my friend had a vegetarian kabob plate which she enjoyed very much. So, many options to choose from.Special Features:
- Reluctant to sharebikemusicDined on 5/31/2014Love this place so much I'm afraid too many others will find out about it and I won't be able to get a table! If you are visiting this restaurant from the DC area (or anywhere East of Marshall, VA exit on I-66, do yourself a favor and take exit #27 off I-66. Go South for about 500 feet and then immediately turn right (West) onto Crest Hill Road (State Hwy 647). Allow yourself about 45 minutes to an hour to drive this most scenic road at a leisurely pace. Some of the prettiest views East of the Skyline drive can be found on this road. (A great motorcycle ride, btw!). When you finally get to Flint Hill and dead end into US Hwy 522, turn right and Griffin Tavern will be about 500 feet on the left. (And DO drive the speed limit!)Special Features:
- The following 54 reviews are from the Griffin Tavern reviews archive.
- Relaxing Saturday with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Sat outside on the extended patio at the side of the restaurant on Saturday at 1pm with another couple. Service was attentive, fish and chips excellent as well as the Polughman's plate. We come here often, friends first time and they commented on how reasonable prices were. Guiness on tap always a plus and I had the South African red also very good. Lots of parking available. I gave the food a 4 because there shrimp appetizer was not available and for people who need to focus on protein and low fat...it was the perfect and awesomely delic dish. Go and enjoy and get some vitamin D! Yes they have indoor dining as well .Special Features:
- Incredible Suprise in Wine CountryJE1058VIPDined on 4/5/2014Their menu is flavorful! The Bibb lettuce salad was an EXCELLENT way to start! The 14 oz NY Strip was grilled perfectly over an open flame. It was the thickest cut of NY Strip I've ever has as well! The accompanying potatoes were roasted in garlic and offered a delicious, sweet over roasted flavor. The spinach with cherry tomatoes was a great contrast and looked beautiful on the plate. The garlic risotto was also outstanding! Portions are generous!! But if you're still hungry after dinner, give their apple tart a try, it's HUGE! If you just want to satisfy your sweet tooth without a huge dessert, then the Chocolate Pots de Crème is a GREAT choice, rich and flavorful without being too rich. The service was great and prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Break in the Shenandoah!CalgonDined on 4/2/2014We hosted two dear friends for a week during the Cherry Blossom Festival. As part of their visit we did a driving tour in the Shenandoah Valley. The Griffin Tavern has a bright spot of their visit. Our waitress seated us promptly, made some spot-on appetizer recommendations and kept our drinks fresh and filled. Knowing one of our party was allergic to rosemary, the chef was accommodating and sent out a special order (without the rosemary butter). The orders were delicious and very well prepared. We will certainly be back, and bringing as many friends as possible.Special Features:
- Dancing fungirlsluncherVIPDined on 3/1/2014Nice evening, though we'd hoped to be seated in the bar area, we had a nice table in an adjacent room.. Good food and service. Great music, Robbie Limon Band. Very crowded tiny dance floor. Just fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love GriffinANutt2LoganDined on 3/1/2014Great food! Amazingly friendly staff! Outstanding Service!! I love this place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great country place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/27/2013We were touring the Virginia wineries and decided to have brunch there. It was casual and relaxing.Special Features:
- historic charmSharVIPDined on 8/31/2013What a fun place to go! For ANY reason and the food was delicious. They are up there with the BEST and they use fresh, local ingredients!!!! The area is surrounded with wineries so its a perfect location for a great weekend. The bar, wrap-a-round porch and deck is an added bonus.Special Features:
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/10/2013Their specials are always a fantastic surprise--lats time we were there we enjoyed spicy tofu as an appetizer.Special Features:
- Local spot in the countryElwoodDined on 6/12/2013Met an old friend and asked for quiet table for conversation - perfect; lunch menu with many choices, loved the tuna sandwich on challah, attentive service - will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont miss it if in ShenandoahMickeyDined on 5/25/2013great food, served well.. they do not hurry you up, and very affordable. Go for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is the second time weOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2013This is the second time we went to Griffin's when the Andre Fox Band was playing. The music is very romantic and my husband and I love dancing to it. This time we were early enough to sit at the bar and have dinner before the music started. We always enjoy the food and think it's a great night out when we go there. The bartenders were very friendly.Special Features:
- Delicious pub food as wellOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/27/2013Delicious pub food as well as a special menu of locally grown produce. It has a lovely pub charm and friendly service, a wide porch for outside eating. A large bar with lots of seating. I have been and will continue to be a repeat diner.Special Features:
- A little surprised by theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013A little surprised by the wait for our food, and that they were out of three of the items that we'd ordered, as it did not seem to be over-run, but the quality of the food was very good and Anthony, our waiter, was extremely pleasant.Special Features:
- I love the Griffin Tavern!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013I love the Griffin Tavern! They make everyone feel at home. Food was great, music was amazing - service phenomenal (Lorraine!!)Special Features:
- Griffin TavernAnniversaryCoupleDined on 3/30/2013Very nice, moderate price restaurant in an out-of-the way small town. "Americanized" English pub-food (shepherd's pie, fish & chips, ploughman's lunch)as well as other entrees. Presentation was good. Quality was excellent. Flavors were wonderful. Fabulous meringue pies for dessert. Wait staff seemed a bit overloaded, but were very friendly and helpful. It is a beautiful drive out to Flint Hill Virginia (we were coming from Fairfax/Chantilly... it was about a 1 hour drive). Though it took more time than going into DC for dinner, it was a much more scenic, relaxing drive. Overall, an excellent experience and a good meal.Special Features:
- Really nice place, great service.w1m1b1r1i1a1nDined on 3/28/2013Really nice place, great service. Fish and chips was awesome. Carrot cake had too many nuts, but otherwise good.Special Features:
- I had the Shepherds Pie,withOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/16/2013I had the Shepherds Pie,with a Boddington beer it was excellent! Wife had a plate of mussels...very good!Special Features:
- Terriffic country findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2013We were looking for a new place in the counrty to try, and after a search, discovered the Griffin Tavern in Flint Hill, VA. It is a short drive from us, through country roads, past some historic old farms. The Tavern is a mix of country and victorian, there is a giant wrap-around porch that is used for outdoor dining in the warmer weather. As we walked in the front door, we were greeted by the hostess and the servers walking by. We sat in the main dining area, but we are going to try the bar area next time (there was lots of activity there.) Dinner was outstanding, we had some appetizers (shrimp and grits were outstanding!) The main course was excellent also, a fresh take on Irish cuisine. We are definately headed back again soon.Special Features:
- Brit-Approved Fish and ChipsGlbtrttrDined on 2/16/2013Brit-approved fish and chips. They are excellent! Very cool old building, too. A pub with a more-than-pub-fare menu.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013We were beyond description with enjoyment as we received each course, delighted with flavor on the pallet, one could only wish for! The evening was everything we could have only wished for.Special Features:
- Service was great! Too muchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013Service was great! Too much food! Better to have more reasonable prices and less serving amounts. Overall a very nice experience.Special Features:
- Not Quite What We RememberedDinerVIPDined on 12/30/2012Back for a visit after a long while. A bit disappointed. Despite many open tables, very slow, inattentive service (Alice?). No mention of specials, asked twice for creamer, disappeared for ages. Fish was great but Howie burger cooked way beyond "medium-well." Fries too done - nicely browned, but nearly fried clean through. One diner asked for salad instead of fries, this incurred a $3 upcharge. Unfortunately, the bleu cheese on salad was off/inedible. Yes, should have mentioned to manager, but difficult enough to get check delivered. Overall, an average meal. Will not make the 90 min drive again to come here. Maybe if passing by during winery outing. Reliable wifi and atmosphere in old house is very quaint - earning the second star.Special Features:
- Great eveningVickifromVAVIPDined on 12/15/2012Chef Jason Campbell was fabulous and came out to say hello between courses. The owner was very kind and made us feel special and welcomed. Dustin the bartender was great and made our after-dining experience in the back bar fun. Elizabeth Laurence Troutman Band was playing and sounded so good! It was a beautiful and romantic evening for us both and we would highly recommend Griffin Tavern to anyone.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/1/2012Excellent food and service. Classy, well run place.Special Features:
- What a find! Our party ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012What a find! Our party of four thoroughly enjoyed dining here, and were very grateful for how accomadating the kitchen was to our dietary needs!Special Features:
- I was very disappointed withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2012I was very disappointed with the food and the service.
- we have been to the griffenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012we have been to the griffen about once a year for 5 years. it has been inconsistent. however, we were all 3 of us delighted with our meals and the apple bourbon drink was great. hope this is the way of the future.Special Features:
- Disappointed. Had been tereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/7/2012Disappointed. Had been tere three times before and enjoyed the place and food. Had not been there for over a year and what a difference. The food was poor (greasy) and the place seemed dark, dreary, and musty smelling.
- The food was great. The diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012The food was great. The dining atmosphere was quiet and had a country elegance. The band int he the bar area was fantastic. This is our second visit to Griffin Tavern and each time we have enjoyed it immensely. Great place for friends. Entertainment has been really, realy goos boht times. Enough room for a littel dancing too.Special Features:
- I've been to Griffin TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2012I've been to Griffin Tavern a couple times for lunch and dinner. This was the first "event" I've been to featuring Octoberfest local beer pairings with food. It was one of the most delicious meals I've ever had, service was great, and people friendly. There were 4 in our party and we all couldn't have asked for more. You've got to go to this restaurant!Special Features:
- We truly enjoyed our eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012We truly enjoyed our evening at Griffin Tavern!! Excellent wait staff and the food was delicious. Looking forward to our next visit!!Special Features: