403 Carteret St
Beaufort, SC 29902-5513Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.griffinmarket.com/
- Phone: 8435240240x
- Hours of Operation:
Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian
- Executive Chef: Laura Bonino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Griffin Market
Griffin Market brings relaxed elegance and a taste of Italy’s Piedmont region to the low country of South Carolina. Situated on Carteret Street in historic downtown Beaufort, the restaurant features the culinary and wine expertise of Laura and Riccardo Bonino. The couple moved the restaurant from its original location in the neighborhood of Georgetown, Washington D.C. in 2011. Laura is a veteran executive chef whose talent has been featured at numerous fine-dining restaurants across the country. Riccardo is an accomplished sommelier and is recognized for his unique gift for pairing wine with food. Griffin Market offers seasonal fare made with expert refinement for dinner 6 days a week and lunch 3 days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Griffin Market - Best Restaurants in Beaufort ›
Griffin Market reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (42)fit for foodies (41)special occasion (32)neighborhood gem (25)romantic (24)great for lunch (10)good for groups (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014Ricardo went out of his way to work the wine list well. Food was excellent.
- fooddunwellDined on 10/19/2014Our first visit friends took us here we just had our 4th and know there will be many more , we fell in love with the authentic Northern Italian food, the portions are the perfect size and the prices are unbelievably reasonable. The wine list is amazing and Ricardo the owner will help you find the perfect wine according to your taste preference, the atmosphere is cozy and chic and wonderfully quiet, you can actually carry on a conversation without shouting. We are so much looking to our next visit!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Outstanding food and service. Always love the selections and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeoBDined on 10/15/2014You can bring your own wine, but there will be a $25 corkage fee.Special Features:
- Great authentic Italian restaurantFoodfavDined on 10/12/2014I returned from Italy in February, middle of artichoke season, and was looking for a Italian restaurant true to its roots. Excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really wonderful !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Authentic Northern Italian cuisine, I feel like I'm visiting my Nonna again in Venaria, Italia ! Really worth checking out if you want real Italian food.Special Features:
- Good, but not great, as reviews saySandyPDined on 8/30/2014Food was good, but too many rules apply. The rules are outlined on the menu...no bread unless you have anti pasta, no refills on any drinks, relatively small servings for an Italian restaurant. They must think they are better than the rest!
- Outstanding!CannizzVIPDined on 8/29/2014Griffin Market is my favorite restaurant in Beaufort. Our meals were delicious as always....I have never had anything Laura prepared that I didn't love. Sorry they will be closed for 6 weeks, but glad they are getting a much-needed vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at best!MikeDined on 8/23/2014The ambience was fine. Restaurant was quiet and comfortable with good service. Food was good but not great. Seafood salad was fresh but awfully tough! Being first generation Italian, didn't really seem to be truly Italian to me. Panna cotta was not very good(rubbery). To top it off,no espresso for coffee selection! My wife and I rated it a 6.5 out of 10. Overhyped and overpriced!Special Features:
- Delightful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014This is one of South Carolina's finest restaurants! I have traveled all over the world and dining here ranks with the best restaurants anywhere. I highly recommend you visit Riccardo and Laura.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerryDined on 8/19/2014One of my favorite restaurants in the Lowcountry ( and I am a "foody"). Well prepared meals with fresh, locally grown accompaniments, plus an extensive wine list featuring some unique wines not generally available elsewhere, make this a special dining occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticWildwesDined on 8/15/2014Owner was so friendly and made us feel comfortable. Food and wine was outstanding. Reasonable portion sizes. Our entire party left asking when we were going back.Special Features:
- Taste of Piemonte in the lowcountrynerakDined on 8/15/2014This Italian restaurant serves delicious dishes from the Piedmont region of Italy. The lunch dining experience was delightful from the moment we entered. We were seated immediately and greeted by the front of the house owner. We did not meet the chef, but we were able to see the long pieces of pasta drying on the rack. The menu is not expansive, but enough choices are offered to meet a variety of tastes. The wine list is a book of its own. Riccardo is more than happy to recommend and/or pair a wine to your choice of dish. The environment is relaxed and nice lounge music was playing. I have heard many great comments about Griffin Market from the locals, and rightly so. If you are looking for an authentic Italian dining experience, eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2CrabsDined on 8/8/2014Pricey but worth it. Not a good place to go if you are on a tight budget. Portions are large enough to split or share, especially if you order from all 3 courses. Loved the watermelon salad and the chicken. Kale pasta with peas and Fava beans was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As close as I've been to ItalyFoodie14Dined on 8/8/2014Friends and I visited Griffin Market during a recent vacation to Beaufort. Following other reviews, we made a reservation for lunch. The restaurant would be hard to find if you weren't looking, but unless you had already done research you wouldn't end up there anyway. When we arrived, we found a chic and cozy restaurant that, in Beaufort, is in a class all its own. The wine list was extensive, and every drink we ordered was perfect. We ordered the crostini appetizer - delicious! - the tagliatelle verdi, an asparagus and a chicken entree. All were exquisite. We ordered coffee and dessert as well, and were disappointed with neither. Our lunch at Griffin Market was a highlight of our time in Beaufort, and we would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Wonderful Italian food. Fresh menu daily, and organized along the traditional Italian method: anti-pasti, pasta, carne etc - but you can split dishes which is what we did. Great wine list. They close "ear;y" at 9pm, however. Not cheap, but worth it.Special Features:
- jritcheytastex2Dined on 8/1/2014I was disappointed in the food.Just one apatisser was good and priced right.that was the squid and cuttlefish.The next course pasta, was average but tasty.Only one entree out of four (sea bass) was good.The duck breast had been refuted, the chicken was dried out and the wild boar sausage was very dry and chewy. Sadly this place will not last putting out pricey poorly prepared food.Special Features:
- Return visitGoodToGoVIPDined on 7/30/2014Last year we visited Griffin Market and couldn't wait to try it again this year. The food offerings are delicious and never disappoint. Wine list is too extensive and pricey. But most disappointing is the lack of signage with the name on it. Aren't you proud of your business? How many potential dinners have you lost because of this?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerWinstonPDined on 7/27/2014What can I say ! The dinner menu was interesting and our meal delicious. We had been told that this was not your usual Italian cuisine, and that was true. The Sunday "fixed" menu gave us enough options that it was a little hard to decide what to have ? We very much enjoyed the courses we chose. We ( wife & I ) do not know a lot about wines, so the owner suggested a very good wine pairing based on our choices. He was right, it complimented the meal. The courses came in a relaxed , timely manner so we never felt rushed between dishes. The service was spot on. I'd definitely suggest this restaurant to friends, and family. We intend to go back whenever possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WesterlundDined on 7/22/2014It was a wonderful meal and enjoyed out time there! It's always delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Being in Northern ItalylowcountrydinerDined on 7/19/2014Thankfully this was NOT the typical American (southern) Italian restaurant. Instead, it featured northern Italian cooking, with a new menu daily meaning everything is made from whatever is freshest in the market that day. Although portions were smaller than when one is dining in Italy itself, it followed the antipasto, primi, secondi, dessert pattern of restaurants in Italy. The owner was present, took customer orders and explained any dish when asked. Other staff was also responsive when called. Our duo had a very pleasant evening and will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Lovers paradiseThirtysomethingFoodiesDined on 7/18/2014Wonderful food, even better service and passionate chef! The owner floats table to table sharing tidbits about the menu, his passion for food and best of all his private collection of wines. It was pricey, but we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and our meals! A must try eatery- Gracias!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of Everything!gbouknightDined on 7/18/2014You will not find a better place in Beaufort, or anywhere for that matter! The food is fresh and artfully prepared, and the wine list rivals some of the best in the country! The experience is like stepping into a neighborhood restaurant in the Italian Piedmont. Bellisimo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!cwefhDined on 7/16/2014My husbands and I recently enjoyed a beautiful meal at Griffin Market. The outstanding food was enhanced by excellent service. Be sure to enjoy all four courses. You are welcome to share antipasti, primi and dessert. There is an extensive wine list with lots of food pairing suggestions. This restaurant is first class all the way.Special Features:
- Unique ItalianRedWineDivaDined on 7/11/2014Great food, even better wine list - highly recommend! We chose this restaurant because we were looking for authentic Italian food. The wine selection was a huge surprise. I wouldn't recommend bringing children as the menu would not appeal to them. But if you go, definitely try the desserts - phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Destination RestaurantHuckDined on 7/11/2014Outstanding Northern Italian dining experience. Creative menu with excellent presentations.Farm to table freshness. Award winning wine list. Worth the three hour drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EtherealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/8/2014We try to dine at Griffin Market whenever we are in Beaufort. This is hands down the best restaurant in town. Last night we brought visiting foodie friends who are pretty knowledgable about wine, and we had a tremendous time. We shared the mixed seafood salad, the marinated anchovies, the tagliatelle verde, and the tagliatelle bolognese. We shared the boar sausage over polenta, and our friends had one of the chicken dishes. Oh my goodness. Each dish was better than the last. However, there is no word for Chef Laura's tagliatelle bolognese other than ethereal. Ricardo is always entertaining, and helped our friends select wines that paired perfectly with our dishes. There are simply not enough superlatives for Griffin Market.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World class Italian cuisine in SC!JMLSCDined on 7/3/2014There are not enough adjectives to describe the culinary delights to be found at Griffin Market. Chef Laura Bonino is, quite simply, a master of using locally sourced (many farm to table and ocean to table) ingredients prepared in the delightful traditions of Piedmont, Italy. Her exquisite preparations will make you want to jump up and down and say BRAVISIMO! Chef Laura's delicacies are complemented by an absolutely INCREDIBLE wine selection expertly paired by husband Riccardo Bonino. Your taste buds be thrilled by the food but they will want to sing with joy from Griffin's excellent, excellent wine selection and pairings. Our last visit was 7/3/14 and we delighted in a 9-course chef's tasting...one of our top 5 meals...ever...anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday night tasting Fun!!DKS47Dined on 6/29/2014The food at Griffin Market is always very good. We love going on Sunday night for the tasting menu. It is really fun with friends to try the different offerings.Special Features:
- Exciting culinary experienceFoodieDined on 6/27/2014If you enjoy good food and with an interesting Italian twist you will have a delightful culinary experience. The melon soup with crab meat and the cold anchovies were a wonderful start to the summer meal. The entree excite the pallet, always a food adventure. Only the freshest in season ingredient are used in the preparation of all dish.Special Features:
- The following 266 reviews are from the Griffin Market reviews archive.
- AtlantaDined on 6/20/2014overpriced. its really a wine bar with food as a side, but the food is way overpriced and the portions are small. Wine list is awesome.Special Features:
- fabulous as always!autumnhillDined on 6/15/2014My friend wanted go to go to see what Sunday night prix fixe was all about. She was blown away. My favorite was the charcuterie and the tagliatelle fromagiSpecial Features:
- deliciousfoodforthoughtDined on 6/13/2014Took my dad here for his birthday and everything was amazing. He's full blood Italian so he's very picky when it comes to Italian dining and even he was overly impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014I put together a group of 6 diners ......... all much more educated than myself on food & wine. I knew it would be pricey so that was not a problem. They enjoyed the experience ...... I did not. The bill was over $700. I would comment on the things that did not go well, but I could tell the owner had absolutely no interest in what I might say. I did note it use to be a favorite spot for Dataw residents but there is not much positive said now in the community notes. (We live elsewhere) I'm surprised that with the price, service and all the rules that are presented, the restaurant is still in business. I will not be a return customer.Special Features:
- Great date night!luvItalfoodDined on 6/1/2014The Sunday Pre Fixe dinner (4 courses for $36) is an exceptional value in every way. Best Italian food we've had anywhere in the area and comparable to the best we have ever eaten. Attentive service and never felt rushed. The owner was there, always keeping an eye out for anything that might be done to improve the diner's experience. He also makes great recommendations for wine to pair with the food. The patrons that night included other couples like us, a single diner, a larger group of couples and a table of young women celebrating a birthday. It was just right for everyone. The fact that the place is small lends a cozy atmosphere to the dining, without being at all crowded. Incomparable wine list!Special Features:
- First TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/31/2014food was great wine list is great don't share portions are a good size we had a nice time and will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian food!Mimi04VIPDined on 5/31/2014Husband and wife owners. Ricardo makes you feel welcomed, has extensive knowledge of his wines. Laura is the hands on chef, fresh ingredients only come from the kitchen. Food is wonderful! Best italian food outside of Italy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A "word of mouth" findgraydocDined on 5/30/2014On my first visit to Beaufort from the foothills of North Carolina, I had heard about Griffin Market from a retired couple, newly relocated to Beaufort. This was their favorite restaurant. On advance scout of the location, I was stymied, eventually using Google live view to identify the building - no exterior signage! Needless to say, there is clearly no need to advertise to passers by. This was the finest Italian dining my wife and I have ever experienced - gourmet courses, perfectly prepared and presented. We hope to return some day.Special Features:
- Delicioso!Foodie49Dined on 5/29/2014Five of us went recently for a birthday celebration. Although all of the meal was wonderful, the pastas were outstanding. They are cooked to perfection with mouth-watering sauces. We were a bit dubious about trying the kale pasta, but it, too, was delicious. The "secondi" courses were all well prepared. While Griffin Market does not have a large menu, everything we've tried has been exceptional.Special Features:
- luvgriffinluvgriffinDined on 5/27/2014My favorite restaurant in Beaufort or Bluffton. It is always interesting as the menu changes depending what is in season, so never tire of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.