403 Carteret St
Beaufort, SC 29902-5513Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.griffinmarket.com/
- Phone: (843) 524-0240
- Hours of Operation:
Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian
- Executive Chef: Laura Bonino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Griffin Market
Griffin Market brings relaxed elegance and a taste of Italy’s Piedmont region to the low country of South Carolina. Situated on Carteret Street in historic downtown Beaufort, the restaurant features the culinary and wine expertise of Laura and Riccardo Bonino. The couple moved the restaurant from its original location in the neighborhood of Georgetown, Washington D.C. in 2011. Laura is a veteran executive chef whose talent has been featured at numerous fine-dining restaurants across the country. Riccardo is an accomplished sommelier and is recognized for his unique gift for pairing wine with food. Griffin Market offers seasonal fare made with expert refinement for dinner 6 days a week and lunch 3 days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Griffin Market - Best Restaurants in Beaufort ›
Griffin Market reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)notable wine list (47)special occasion (34)neighborhood gem (29)romantic (19)great for lunch (11)good for groups (5)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Griffin Market never fails to impress2sickoffluffVIPDined on 11/22/2014Since they opened we have been to Griffin Market 6 or 7 times even though we live about 4 hours away. Every time there are new menu items and the wine list gets better and better. If you are anywhere in the area be sure to check it out. They have the best Italian food and wine between New York and San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/22/2014Incredible dining experience. Perfect service. Pasta was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a kindTravelingFoodieDined on 11/20/2014This is a one of kind, small restaurant imbued with the personality of the "front of the house" person. That is Ricardo, spouse to the wonderful chef, Laura. The under statement of the place is mirrored in the limited signage to suggest that a lime green cinder block restaurant is a fabulous, genuine Italian, farm to table restaurant that changes its menu ever day to match what is available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing1sttimebutnotthelastDined on 11/15/2014Griffin Market is a small restaurant with a lovely atmosphere, personal service and incredible food. Our waiter was also the owner and his recommendations and wine pairings were spot on. Every menu choice from antipasti to dessert was perfection and unique. Everyone should try the Endive Flan - a delicious surprising preparation that surprised and more than satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMaggieDined on 11/13/2014Griffin Market is a gem of a restaurant. I have never been disappointed in what I have ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Authentic Italian Hidden GemGREETandEATDined on 11/9/2014Our dining experience was great! The appetizers of carpaccio and pate were a treat. The Bolognese and the kale pastas were superb! The kale pasta really stood out. The chicken Milanese was outstanding and the scallops were perfectly prepared. The limoncello gelato with a blueberry sauce was a perfect way to bring a close to the wonderful birthday dining experience. I would recommend and also return. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once againPlauriDined on 11/8/2014Been here many times and never fails to impress. The food was absolutely splendid and so very authenticSpecial Features:
- Best in BeaufortPMCinDCDined on 11/8/2014In the area for an annual golf trip, Griffin Market has been a regular stopping point for Saturday or Sunday dinner the past 4 years. Wine and food recommendations never disappoint, and I won't soon forget the house-made pasta and braised lamb shank. I remember when they were in DC and wish they'd come back!Special Features:
- overatedsickofcookingDined on 11/7/2014I have been here many times and it is slipping. The food was nothing special and the place was practically empty. This was a busy Friday and lunchtime. The prices are too high for the food served.Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/29/2014Griffin Market is a wonderful find in Beaufort. Serving northern Italian food, Griffin Market lists interesting appetizers, pasta second courses (recently white truffle risotto was outstanding), and meat entrees. There are also vegetarian options. Deserts are also very good. The wine list is outstanding and we received a complete description of the wines of interest to us. And the serving sizes are not huge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timeWhinesnddineDined on 10/29/2014Lunch here is always great, good food, service and pricing. How a recent dinner was very disappointing.... Teeny tiny portion of excellent pasta for $18, $70 for à rough red wine... We will stick to lunch there.Special Features:
- A very special place...MamaclarkDined on 10/26/2014This was not our first time at Griffin Market so we knew we would have an outstanding meal. We are locals, but we have had many fine dining experiences. I would put this little gem on my favorites list. The food is creative and delicious, always using the very freshest in-season ingredients. And then there is the pasta-sheer Heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Rare FindCosmoVIPDined on 10/24/2014In a very unassuming building a block or two from Beaufort's main drag is an oasis of Italian delights. Who would have thought after a week in South Carolina of eating shrimp and grits, oysters and pulled pork and drinking sweet tea we'd come across this gem. The 4 of us had 12 different dishes and all were fabulous... there was a lot of passing around the plates so everyone could taste them all. I mean spaghetti with peeky toe crab, sausage to die for, the cuddlefish was amazing... everything tantalized the taste buds. Ricardo and Laura really know what they are doing and if you don't stop in if you're ever in the Lowcountry and that means Charleston not just Beaufort, you're missing a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014This restaurant was recommended by friends. Service was outstanding and personal. We will come back again as the menu changes every day!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014Ricardo went out of his way to work the wine list well. Food was excellent.
- fooddunwellDined on 10/19/2014Our first visit friends took us here we just had our 4th and know there will be many more , we fell in love with the authentic Northern Italian food, the portions are the perfect size and the prices are unbelievably reasonable. The wine list is amazing and Ricardo the owner will help you find the perfect wine according to your taste preference, the atmosphere is cozy and chic and wonderfully quiet, you can actually carry on a conversation without shouting. We are so much looking to our next visit!Special Features:
- don't be fooled by the nameMichelDined on 10/18/2014In a word - outstanding. Pure and perfect Italian. Let Riccardo select a wine for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Outstanding food and service. Always love the selections and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeoBDined on 10/15/2014You can bring your own wine, but there will be a $25 corkage fee.Special Features:
- Great authentic Italian restaurantFoodfavDined on 10/12/2014I returned from Italy in February, middle of artichoke season, and was looking for a Italian restaurant true to its roots. Excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really wonderful !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Authentic Northern Italian cuisine, I feel like I'm visiting my Nonna again in Venaria, Italia ! Really worth checking out if you want real Italian food.Special Features:
- Good, but not great, as reviews saySandyPDined on 8/30/2014Food was good, but too many rules apply. The rules are outlined on the menu...no bread unless you have anti pasta, no refills on any drinks, relatively small servings for an Italian restaurant. They must think they are better than the rest!
- Outstanding!CannizzVIPDined on 8/29/2014Griffin Market is my favorite restaurant in Beaufort. Our meals were delicious as always....I have never had anything Laura prepared that I didn't love. Sorry they will be closed for 6 weeks, but glad they are getting a much-needed vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at best!MikeDined on 8/23/2014The ambience was fine. Restaurant was quiet and comfortable with good service. Food was good but not great. Seafood salad was fresh but awfully tough! Being first generation Italian, didn't really seem to be truly Italian to me. Panna cotta was not very good(rubbery). To top it off,no espresso for coffee selection! My wife and I rated it a 6.5 out of 10. Overhyped and overpriced!Special Features:
- Delightful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014This is one of South Carolina's finest restaurants! I have traveled all over the world and dining here ranks with the best restaurants anywhere. I highly recommend you visit Riccardo and Laura.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerryDined on 8/19/2014One of my favorite restaurants in the Lowcountry ( and I am a "foody"). Well prepared meals with fresh, locally grown accompaniments, plus an extensive wine list featuring some unique wines not generally available elsewhere, make this a special dining occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticWildwesDined on 8/15/2014Owner was so friendly and made us feel comfortable. Food and wine was outstanding. Reasonable portion sizes. Our entire party left asking when we were going back.Special Features:
- Taste of Piemonte in the lowcountrynerakDined on 8/15/2014This Italian restaurant serves delicious dishes from the Piedmont region of Italy. The lunch dining experience was delightful from the moment we entered. We were seated immediately and greeted by the front of the house owner. We did not meet the chef, but we were able to see the long pieces of pasta drying on the rack. The menu is not expansive, but enough choices are offered to meet a variety of tastes. The wine list is a book of its own. Riccardo is more than happy to recommend and/or pair a wine to your choice of dish. The environment is relaxed and nice lounge music was playing. I have heard many great comments about Griffin Market from the locals, and rightly so. If you are looking for an authentic Italian dining experience, eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2CrabsDined on 8/8/2014Pricey but worth it. Not a good place to go if you are on a tight budget. Portions are large enough to split or share, especially if you order from all 3 courses. Loved the watermelon salad and the chicken. Kale pasta with peas and Fava beans was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As close as I've been to ItalyFoodie14Dined on 8/8/2014Friends and I visited Griffin Market during a recent vacation to Beaufort. Following other reviews, we made a reservation for lunch. The restaurant would be hard to find if you weren't looking, but unless you had already done research you wouldn't end up there anyway. When we arrived, we found a chic and cozy restaurant that, in Beaufort, is in a class all its own. The wine list was extensive, and every drink we ordered was perfect. We ordered the crostini appetizer - delicious! - the tagliatelle verdi, an asparagus and a chicken entree. All were exquisite. We ordered coffee and dessert as well, and were disappointed with neither. Our lunch at Griffin Market was a highlight of our time in Beaufort, and we would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Wonderful Italian food. Fresh menu daily, and organized along the traditional Italian method: anti-pasti, pasta, carne etc - but you can split dishes which is what we did. Great wine list. They close "ear;y" at 9pm, however. Not cheap, but worth it.Special Features:
- jritcheytastex2Dined on 8/1/2014I was disappointed in the food.Just one apatisser was good and priced right.that was the squid and cuttlefish.The next course pasta, was average but tasty.Only one entree out of four (sea bass) was good.The duck breast had been refuted, the chicken was dried out and the wild boar sausage was very dry and chewy. Sadly this place will not last putting out pricey poorly prepared food.Special Features:
- Return visitGoodToGoVIPDined on 7/30/2014Last year we visited Griffin Market and couldn't wait to try it again this year. The food offerings are delicious and never disappoint. Wine list is too extensive and pricey. But most disappointing is the lack of signage with the name on it. Aren't you proud of your business? How many potential dinners have you lost because of this?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 278 reviews are from the Griffin Market reviews archive.
- Excellent DinnerWinstonPDined on 7/27/2014What can I say ! The dinner menu was interesting and our meal delicious. We had been told that this was not your usual Italian cuisine, and that was true. The Sunday "fixed" menu gave us enough options that it was a little hard to decide what to have ? We very much enjoyed the courses we chose. We ( wife & I ) do not know a lot about wines, so the owner suggested a very good wine pairing based on our choices. He was right, it complimented the meal. The courses came in a relaxed , timely manner so we never felt rushed between dishes. The service was spot on. I'd definitely suggest this restaurant to friends, and family. We intend to go back whenever possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WesterlundDined on 7/22/2014It was a wonderful meal and enjoyed out time there! It's always delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Being in Northern ItalylowcountrydinerDined on 7/19/2014Thankfully this was NOT the typical American (southern) Italian restaurant. Instead, it featured northern Italian cooking, with a new menu daily meaning everything is made from whatever is freshest in the market that day. Although portions were smaller than when one is dining in Italy itself, it followed the antipasto, primi, secondi, dessert pattern of restaurants in Italy. The owner was present, took customer orders and explained any dish when asked. Other staff was also responsive when called. Our duo had a very pleasant evening and will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Lovers paradiseThirtysomethingFoodiesDined on 7/18/2014Wonderful food, even better service and passionate chef! The owner floats table to table sharing tidbits about the menu, his passion for food and best of all his private collection of wines. It was pricey, but we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and our meals! A must try eatery- Gracias!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of Everything!gbouknightVIPDined on 7/18/2014You will not find a better place in Beaufort, or anywhere for that matter! The food is fresh and artfully prepared, and the wine list rivals some of the best in the country! The experience is like stepping into a neighborhood restaurant in the Italian Piedmont. Bellisimo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!cwefhDined on 7/16/2014My husbands and I recently enjoyed a beautiful meal at Griffin Market. The outstanding food was enhanced by excellent service. Be sure to enjoy all four courses. You are welcome to share antipasti, primi and dessert. There is an extensive wine list with lots of food pairing suggestions. This restaurant is first class all the way.Special Features:
- Unique ItalianRedWineDivaDined on 7/11/2014Great food, even better wine list - highly recommend! We chose this restaurant because we were looking for authentic Italian food. The wine selection was a huge surprise. I wouldn't recommend bringing children as the menu would not appeal to them. But if you go, definitely try the desserts - phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.