Greystone The Steakhouse
658 5th Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Greystone The Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.greystonesteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 6192320225x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music every Friday & Saturday Night starting at 9:00pm
- Special Events: LIVE MUSIC FRIDAYS & SATURDAYS AT 9pm
A word from Greystone The Steakhouse
Greystone is an independently owned and operated steakhouse located in the heart of downtown San Diego's historic Gaslamp Quarter. We feature aged meat, seafood and pasta with influences from the culinary traditions of Europe, America and the Pacific Rim. To complement our cuisine, Greystone also features an award-winning wine list. Our spacious, multi-level floor plan features a classic yet contemporary decor and a relaxed, cosmopolitan ambiance perfect for entertaining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Greystone The Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (13)notable wine list (10)romantic (9)great for outdoor dining (7)fit for foodies (6)good for groups (6)late-night find (4)neighborhood gem (4)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Best steak in a long timeKnot2L8Dined on 9/14/2014Superior to 4-5 star chain steak houses. Steak is NOT seasoned. Not necessary, quality stands on it's own. Shared small size assorted seafood appetizer. Surprised at portion and size of crab legs, 4 jumbo size shrimp, 1/2 lobster tail. Oysters were very crisp with briny finish. Shared Side of bacon/corn. Husband had Ahi, piled onto bed of wasabi mashed potatoes, bok Choy. More than ample 3" high cut seared/seasoned perfectly. Glass of Chardonnay, Carrera and bottled beer, $150 tab, impressed! Negative was very noisy/loud dining upstairs. Matre Dei and hostess kept walking thru small dining area between tables, chit chatting with servers, checking for tables, etc. Please be considerate of diners enjoying their evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an experienceNavyWife81Dined on 9/6/2014The food was delicious and the service was amazing. We went there with the hopes of a great steak and were not let down. The food was so flavorful and cooked to perfection. When I find a place that knows how to make a steak that is well done AND still juicy, I'm in heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual diningLuceeLDined on 9/1/2014Upscale dining inside, casual out front. Slow dining, extensive wine list, and good service.Special Features:
- Greystone is DeliciousKtabsDined on 8/28/2014Excellent meal for a special occasion. The Sea Bass Special was delicious and the Steak was perfect. Expensive, but worth it.Special Features:
- Great steak heretsickmeyerDined on 8/20/2014The service was prompt and knowledgable, and my ribeye was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/1/2014Food and service were both very good. We started with Oysters Rockefeller and Stuffed Mushrooms, which were perfect. Everyone in our party was happy with the steaks and the sides of garlic mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus were delicious The ambience, however, left a lot to be desired. The area downstairs is tight and loud. There was a drunk obnoxious patron in the upstairs bar who was making a huge ruckous all throughout dinner. We complained to the manager, as did others. While he apologized profusely and spoke to the man, he and his group were permitted to remain and continued to be boisterous. Our dessert was comped, but that had little significance to the overall disruption to our very expensive meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but loudfoodbusiness23Dined on 8/1/2014we enjoyed the food and wine but there were several loud groups in the bar and the noise flowed into the dining area. good spot for larger groups. intimate dining go elsewhere.Special Features:
- Not great steak for a steakhouseRickVIPDined on 8/1/2014Had the filet oscar. Filet was not a great quality (guessing not center cut) and had no flavor/seasoning. The "oscar" was touted as lump crab. Not a lump in it - more like some kind of crab mush. Service was very good and i sat on the patio which made the people watching fun. those things made the overall rating Fair vs. Poor.Special Features:
- Better than expected...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/25/2014Greystone The Steak House is a restaurant in the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego service steaks and seafood. + Beautiful dining room + Service was friendly and professional + Food was better than anticipated. Everyone at our table agreed their steak and seafood dishes were well above average. - Loud when busy - No need for live music when it's already packed... did I mention it was noisy? Overall a great meal.
- Great food, great time!AndrewDined on 7/25/2014Had a wonderful time at this location. Located in the middle of San Diego's Gaslamp district, they make very good use of their space. Two floors of dining plus a middle level with the bar. They have a spacious lounge, good bartenders, and excellent staff. Their oysters on the half shell were delicious and they gave me a great ribeye. My fiancee had the king crab legs and they were excellent as well. Too bad we didn't have room for dessert!Special Features:
- DisappointingComiconnedDined on 7/24/2014My husband and I ate here during Comic-Con so we could sit outside and watch all the people. This was the only good thing about this place. I ordered a wedge salad. The lettuce was completely yellow. No green anywhere. If it would have been at home in my fridge, I would have thrown it out. There were only 4 bacon bits on the salad, and it was literally swimming in what tasted like a bottled blue cheese dressing. Then, my husband and I shared the rib eye. The waitress audibly sighed when we told her we would be sharing a meal, as if already calculating the tip in her head. The rib eye was under seasoned, over cooked and obviously not a "prime" piece of meat. The garlic mashed potatoes were thin and watery. Not worth the money.Special Features:
- Just OK...alteredegoVIPDined on 7/10/2014Dined at this restaurant on a Thursday. $10 valet parking near the door. The interior is pleasant and more colorful than many Downtown restaurants occupying older buildings. After being seated upstairs for dinner, reasonably quick service and drinks followed. The stage for "OKness" was immediately set by a initial serving of bread that might have been sliced from a grocery-store baguette: tasteless and underwhelming. A disappointing shrimp cocktail with mealy, granular shrimp followed. The salads as a whole were better, especially the Greystone salad, but were served on warm plates. The steaks were not bad (a la Oscar, NY Strip), but the entree prices with sides are expensive and didn't redeem a ho-hum meal. No need to return here.
- Good steak in the Gaslamp fistSteakhouseDined on 7/3/2014Good service and good food. Outdoor seating is great but inside feels a little claustrophobic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Excels; Food MehSDMomDined on 6/15/2014Went with husband and Dad on Father's Day. Once a year they like a good, albeit expensive steak, sides extra. Love Donovan's and Ruth's Chris. Tried this place for free entree for Dad. They each got bone-in filet, one boneless filet. Meat was tender and well flavored inside, but missed that sizzle you get at the other places. They seemed to have sat a while. Sides were corn and mushrooms, both great and enough for 3, but the mashed potatoes were a watery bore. Also got apps - lump crab cake was tasty but more bread filler than lump crab. Kind of mushy. Wedge salad was ok. Bread was a bore too. A good sourdough please? Weird music - 70's pop - wrong place for that. Service great. Hostess, wait staff, manager, all terrific.
- Wonderful Food, Great Night!katy101VIPDined on 6/14/2014Food was wonderful, fish done perfectly. Good Drinks and good wine list. Only fault was our food didn't come out at the same time...awkward. Pretty pricey...will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014Although our waitress was good about getting everything delivered to our time in a timely manner it was all business with her. She came across as stiff no personality. That might have been because of the number of tables she had to cover, not sure. Over all she got our food to us and it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS A TREATTracDined on 5/24/2014We love to go to Greystone Steakhouse whenever we're downtown. The food is great and I love the ambience and service.Special Features:
- The following 183 reviews are from the Greystone The Steakhouse reviews archive.
- A little DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/30/2014I have been before and had a great experience. This time, while the service was very good, the food -- both in taste and presentation -- was fair at best, and the air conditioning was not working well so it was not comfortable.
- San Diego - steakhouseTheo2Dined on 4/24/2014Very good steakhouse in the gaslamp district. Busy steetlife with outdoor seating or cozy indoor seating on two levels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greystone The SteakhouseRyanDDined on 4/18/2014It was truly a great experience overall! The food was great and although a bit pricey you got a lot of food for what you paid, unlike some expensive restaurants. A great atmosphere and very friendly and fun service. We had a 6pm reservation on a Friday and were seated immediately on the patio. A great night with great food at a fantastic restaurant!Special Features:
- GreystoneLPcommentsDined on 4/12/2014I had chicken florentine, it was pretty good. But my boyfriend had a streak and it wasn't that great. Especially, because the restaurant is known for steaks. Flemings steaks were better.Special Features:
- LOVE THIS PLACE!victoriaDined on 4/11/2014The service is always great! The food is always amazing! The always have great specials! On fridaysand saturday nights they have great bands!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greystone = GreatStone = Fantasticbkm425VIPDined on 4/6/2014You get what you pay for - and you if you have wine, etc. plan on paying about $75-80 per person including tip - but the food is fantastic. No three star, under $20 per person restaurant but this place steps up and knocks it out of the park. Greystone is consistently a step above the rest of the Gaslamp's cuisine. Steak, Italian pasta, Elk, Buffalo with port wine reduction, fine wine list - its all here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's okay!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/4/2014The service was good, but the filet mignon was nothing special. There are much better places to go for a nice steak - Donovans, Ruth Chris. The prices were high I thought for what you got.
- Restaurant was datedLuvs2eatoutDined on 3/21/2014It wasn't horrible but the dining room area for the tables for two was very very small and crowded home space for wader to get by table waitstaff was wonderful Barcinas outside seen looked great inside the restaurant really not much ambience or ROM and now I'm much to itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good night outSimonDined on 3/14/2014Excellent restaurant food with extensive range of food choices and lovely wine menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was ok- but the waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/13/2014Food was ok- but the waiter Dennis was so annoying checked in so much- he never gave you a chance to look at the menu. Other staff was fine. He ruined the evening.Special Features:
- Run of the MillBiewelDined on 3/8/2014Typical steak house with nothing special to report. Good quality meat, same dishes you find on any steak house menu, good wine list. Service was fast efficient and friendly. Most interesting aspect of the place it the tiered lay out. Why not recommend it? These days a restaurant has to show more imagination for it to be recommended. Greystone is by no means bad - but in the category of steak houses nothing special what so ever.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/1/2014Really a great meal... excellent service... shared a cheese board and the Greystone Salad. I had a bone-in Filet ala Oscar (Lump Crabmeat and Bernaise) my wife the Buffalo Tenderloin... cooked to perfection... great wine list too... will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks no buenoFinedinerDined on 2/21/2014Service and atmosphere great. Filets were so-so.. Seafood platter was pretty good. Prices somewhat reasonable, but overall, the food was not first class.Special Features:
- Loved the Elk ChopsCindeDined on 2/17/2014We had an early dinner, so the restaurant was uncrowed and quiet, with nice Jazz . The wine and craft beer list was impressive. Our favorite dish was the Elk Chop. Very tender and flavorful, served with Mashed Potatoes and a wonderful sauce. If you ever wanted to try Elk, this is the place. The Buffalo Tenderloin was very good. The Blue Point Oysters were delicious and very fresh. I love that the bread they serve was hot and yeasty and the butter was spreadable. The Greystone Salad was good, but the Butter Lettuce was boring. I think more exciting greens would be much better. Gelato and espresso ended our meal. I can't wait to come back to Greystone and I like that they are a local restaurant not a chain. The best service, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad steaksMsheDined on 2/16/2014It was a holiday and we couldn't get into any of our favorite places. Grey stone had room so we took our Oregon friends. The 2 filets were so tough we couldn't eat them. They said they had been having trouble with the purveyor. That was an understatement. When they charge this much the steaks should be tender.Special Features:
- Could have been so much betterJkunkleDined on 2/15/2014Our name was not on the reservation list and we had to wait. The noise, the crowding, mugginess all I could put up with but for our waiter's actions. I order my filet mignon medium rare and when my entrée was brought it was well done. I was appalled that after my initial corner cut on my steak and showing the waiter that it was not medium rare he would ask me to split it in half to make sure. When my meal was brought up again and I cut the steak again in a corner and informed the waiter it was perfect but he wanted me to cut it in the middle to make sure. He insisted on my cutting the middle and my husband stepped in and finally he relented. I would not recommend a restaurant that questions its customers on what they have order.
- OK FOOD FOR THE PRICEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014The steak was good - but not $50.00 good. A little fatty. Server said the sides were family size so we shared - barely enough for two people. The did let us bring our own wine which was great. Unfortunately it is also a little crowded - table done have much room by the time you have a drink, water, food, sides, bread and plates. There are no notes that the Valet is actually down the street at their sister restaurant and anyone who has gone through the gas lamp at night with all the one way streets know how hard it is to park at night.Special Features:
- Food was delicious. When weOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Food was delicious. When we first got there we did not have to wait that long for our table. We were waiting by the bar and the bartender took a little while to help us out but still very friendly. Our waiter was consistent and constantly refilled my water.Special Features:
- Valentine's Day DissappointmentsailawayDined on 2/14/2014After trying to get reservations to some of our favorite restaurants for Valentine's Day, we settled on Greystone as it had open tables at reasonable times. Now I know why. Our table was just at the top of the stairs and in a high traffic area, they didn't have the wine we selected off their wine list and the food was only so-so. Since steak is supposed to be their specialty, I ordered a filet mignon. It was overdone and the Bernaise sauce was tasteless. The only positive I have to say is that the service was very goo.
- Could be a Steak ChainOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/7/2014Noisy, cramped tables, waiters overworked (or cooking requests were reversed). But the place was packed; big groups of business related. No better than a steak chainSpecial Features:
- Best Gaslamp SteakhouseKarinaVIPDined on 2/6/2014I had a wonderful time at Greystone. Amazing food, and beautiful ambience. Steaks very delicious and cooked to perfection. The servier's recommendations were great. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smilespellfireDined on 1/31/2014Although our waiter was very slow and seemed disorganized when we first for there, he got it together. The meal was great. The beer was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDavidCDined on 1/31/2014Great experience. Outstanding food (filet was delicious), wine was excellent and the service was wonderful. Spouse dinner out as a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.