Greystone The Steakhouse
658 5th Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Greystone The Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.greystonesteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (619) 232-0225
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music every Friday & Saturday Night starting at 9:00pm
- Special Events: LIVE MUSIC FRIDAYS & SATURDAYS AT 9pm
A word from Greystone The Steakhouse
Greystone is an independently owned and operated steakhouse located in the heart of downtown San Diego's historic Gaslamp Quarter. We feature aged meat, seafood and pasta with influences from the culinary traditions of Europe, America and the Pacific Rim. To complement our cuisine, Greystone also features an award-winning wine list. Our spacious, multi-level floor plan features a classic yet contemporary decor and a relaxed, cosmopolitan ambiance perfect for entertaining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Greystone The Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Greystone The Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (22)good for groups (17)fit for foodies (17)notable wine list (16)romantic (15)hot spot (13)great for outdoor dining (10)vibrant bar scene (10)neighborhood gem (10)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Restaurant was datedLuvs2eatoutDined on 3/21/2014It wasn't horrible but the dining room area for the tables for two was very very small and crowded home space for wader to get by table waitstaff was wonderful Barcinas outside seen looked great inside the restaurant really not much ambience or ROM and now I'm much to itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good night outSimonDined on 3/14/2014Excellent restaurant food with extensive range of food choices and lovely wine menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was ok- but the waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/13/2014Food was ok- but the waiter Dennis was so annoying checked in so much- he never gave you a chance to look at the menu. Other staff was fine. He ruined the evening.Special Features:
- Run of the MillBiewelDined on 3/8/2014Typical steak house with nothing special to report. Good quality meat, same dishes you find on any steak house menu, good wine list. Service was fast efficient and friendly. Most interesting aspect of the place it the tiered lay out. Why not recommend it? These days a restaurant has to show more imagination for it to be recommended. Greystone is by no means bad - but in the category of steak houses nothing special what so ever.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/1/2014Really a great meal... excellent service... shared a cheese board and the Greystone Salad. I had a bone-in Filet ala Oscar (Lump Crabmeat and Bernaise) my wife the Buffalo Tenderloin... cooked to perfection... great wine list too... will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks no buenoFinedinerDined on 2/21/2014Service and atmosphere great. Filets were so-so.. Seafood platter was pretty good. Prices somewhat reasonable, but overall, the food was not first class.Special Features:
- Loved the Elk ChopsCindeDined on 2/17/2014We had an early dinner, so the restaurant was uncrowed and quiet, with nice Jazz . The wine and craft beer list was impressive. Our favorite dish was the Elk Chop. Very tender and flavorful, served with Mashed Potatoes and a wonderful sauce. If you ever wanted to try Elk, this is the place. The Buffalo Tenderloin was very good. The Blue Point Oysters were delicious and very fresh. I love that the bread they serve was hot and yeasty and the butter was spreadable. The Greystone Salad was good, but the Butter Lettuce was boring. I think more exciting greens would be much better. Gelato and espresso ended our meal. I can't wait to come back to Greystone and I like that they are a local restaurant not a chain. The best service, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad steaksMsheDined on 2/16/2014It was a holiday and we couldn't get into any of our favorite places. Grey stone had room so we took our Oregon friends. The 2 filets were so tough we couldn't eat them. They said they had been having trouble with the purveyor. That was an understatement. When they charge this much the steaks should be tender.Special Features:
- Could have been so much betterJkunkleDined on 2/15/2014Our name was not on the reservation list and we had to wait. The noise, the crowding, mugginess all I could put up with but for our waiter's actions. I order my filet mignon medium rare and when my entrée was brought it was well done. I was appalled that after my initial corner cut on my steak and showing the waiter that it was not medium rare he would ask me to split it in half to make sure. When my meal was brought up again and I cut the steak again in a corner and informed the waiter it was perfect but he wanted me to cut it in the middle to make sure. He insisted on my cutting the middle and my husband stepped in and finally he relented. I would not recommend a restaurant that questions its customers on what they have order.
- OK FOOD FOR THE PRICEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014The steak was good - but not $50.00 good. A little fatty. Server said the sides were family size so we shared - barely enough for two people. The did let us bring our own wine which was great. Unfortunately it is also a little crowded - table done have much room by the time you have a drink, water, food, sides, bread and plates. There are no notes that the Valet is actually down the street at their sister restaurant and anyone who has gone through the gas lamp at night with all the one way streets know how hard it is to park at night.Special Features:
- Food was delicious. When weOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Food was delicious. When we first got there we did not have to wait that long for our table. We were waiting by the bar and the bartender took a little while to help us out but still very friendly. Our waiter was consistent and constantly refilled my water.Special Features:
- Valentine's Day DissappointmentsailawayDined on 2/14/2014After trying to get reservations to some of our favorite restaurants for Valentine's Day, we settled on Greystone as it had open tables at reasonable times. Now I know why. Our table was just at the top of the stairs and in a high traffic area, they didn't have the wine we selected off their wine list and the food was only so-so. Since steak is supposed to be their specialty, I ordered a filet mignon. It was overdone and the Bernaise sauce was tasteless. The only positive I have to say is that the service was very goo.
- Could be a Steak ChainOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/7/2014Noisy, cramped tables, waiters overworked (or cooking requests were reversed). But the place was packed; big groups of business related. No better than a steak chainSpecial Features:
- Best Gaslamp SteakhouseKarinaVIPDined on 2/6/2014I had a wonderful time at Greystone. Amazing food, and beautiful ambience. Steaks very delicious and cooked to perfection. The servier's recommendations were great. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smilespellfireDined on 1/31/2014Although our waiter was very slow and seemed disorganized when we first for there, he got it together. The meal was great. The beer was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDavidCDined on 1/31/2014Great experience. Outstanding food (filet was delicious), wine was excellent and the service was wonderful. Spouse dinner out as a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Not GreatUSAFoodieVIPDined on 1/25/2014The food was pretty good. Little surprised at the portion size of the potatoes but we'll get over it. The location and atmosphere also great. Service was something you'd find at a quickie breakfast spot. No chit chat. No specials. No set up for a great experience. That was a shame because that would've made the whole experience rated higher.
- average at bestunderwhelmedDined on 1/24/2014The hostesses were nice. The server was competent but no personality. I don't know if it was because of all the hype, but the experience left alot to be desired. Average steak at well above average prices. The highpoint of the night was the tiramisu. With all of the restaurants downtown, I doubt this one will get a second visit.Special Features:
- One of the top Steak House'sRCisepicDined on 1/24/2014Four of us went there for restaurant week, and we LOVED it! The service was great , the food was perfectly prepared, and the environment was fantastic. We got a discounted price because of restaurant week, but we took a look at the regular menu while we were there. It had a great selection, and the wine list was huge! It cost about the same as other Steak Houses in Downtown, so be prepared to spend a bit of money for a dinner and a bottle of wine. I will definitely be going back and would gladly recommend this to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week ......BlondeeDined on 1/21/2014I was in town and it happened to be restaurant week. I had a great meal way below their normal prices. The crab cake was awesome, as well as the sea bass. Waiter was wonderful and helpful. Introduced me to my 'NEW' favorite vodka Ultima ........ it was smooth as silk. This Kettle One girl is now a Ultima girl. Sat outside on the patio which was very nice. The indoor dining was a little big loud for my ideal setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab Food Find!JackieDined on 1/20/2014The food was incredible. We went during San Diego Restaurant Week and the service was a bit bogged down but well worth the wait!Special Features:
- A NIGHTMARELisaVIPDined on 1/18/2014We drove down from Orange County to take client's to a GREAT steakhouse. They first brought the wrong appetizer, overcooked one of the steaks, one dinner was cold and was re-heated and too dry to eat. I ordered the lobster bisque soup. It was DARK brown in color and looked more like gravy than soup. It had no lobster and was AWFUL. The waiter asked me if I had been to a restaurant "Blue Points" down the street and said they made it the same way! It was an embarrassing evening and I will never return. A nightmare of an experience!!!!!!
- AmazingCavidVIPDined on 1/17/2014Everything was very good!, excellent service and great food! One of the best places I've been in dtwn San Diego!,Special Features:
- Delish!beckDined on 1/11/2014I've been here many times and always come back. I am a local to San Diego and have the luxury to go to Greystone any time i please. The pork chops are my all time favorite! The mustard demi glaze and the sweet potato mash is unbelievable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Steaks & SeafoodalexDined on 1/11/2014It was pretty easy to impress my date at Greystone. Starting from the hostesses and the bar lounge for cocktails before our meal. I started with there Lobster bisque soup and my date started with there signature greystone salad. For my entree I choice the surf n turf(excellent recommendation) overall delicious food great romantic atmosphere. I highly recommend this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THIS PLACE!victoriaDined on 1/11/2014This has become my regular spot. It never ceases to amaze me. Every thing I have ordered is wonderful. My favorite would have to be the ribeye its soo perfectly flavored. Their meats are only flavored with salt and Pepper which is the way it should be because it brings out all the natural flavors instead of putting annoverpowering around of seasons. Not bbc.co only is the food amazing but the staff is fantastic. The employees are very friendly and professional. This is definitely my favorite spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeBrooke6mDined on 12/31/2013Nice Place! Surprised by how many children were there on New Years Eve but they were all well behaved. Food was good, service was very good!Special Features:
- Happy anaversitybigboy63Dined on 12/30/2013My wife and i love San Diego and celebrating our anniversary at Greystone the steakhouse was the topper on a great weekend.Special Features:
- Food was subpar at bestLawyerfirmDined on 12/30/2013This is the first time I have ever reviewed or complained about a restaurant. In this case it is quite obviously a high-end restaurant and you expect high and quality food. My ribeye steak was tough as a boot. The lobster bisque quite frankly is much better at red lobster and has much more lobster in the actual bisque. The service was very good. But I understand now why it was so empty on December 30th which really could be considered a Friday night for all intents and purposes. It is a steakhouse and quite frankly I was surprised that they don't pay attention more to the quality of the meatSpecial Features:
- Christmas dinnervictoriaDined on 12/25/2013I had such a great experience last time I was here I decided to come back. This time I brought my family and we had our christmas dinner here and it was amazing. The service was very attentive and the food was delicious. In down town San Diego there's so many options for restaurants and we definitely made the right choice. We will keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwsomeyweetyDined on 12/25/2013We booked for Christmas Day 2013 and it was great. We drove all the way from Los a Angeles and we're pleased with the service, the menu and the awsome staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service service serviceCharlesDined on 12/25/2013We were given a table outside. Nice since we in San Diego. But it was a chilly night and the host said she would turn the heat on. Beautiful. But no. The heater was broken and from that point Jackie took care of us. She went above and beyond the call of duty. And the manager did as well. We didn't nor were we expecting something but just wanted someone to know the host isn't telling all of the truth about the outdoor seating. We had a wonderful Christmas dinner....Thank you JackieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/25/2013We had the most fantastic meal on Christmas 2013. A little pricey, but the food and service were great! The best meal I have ever eaten at a Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out71sailDined on 12/20/2013What a great location in the middle of the gaslamp area great people watching on the patio. Beautiful restaurant not your traditional steak house. Greystone offers some wonderful game meat. I tried the buffalo which was very tender and a little richer flavor than beef great dish. Very extensive wine list with a good selection by the glass and some wonderful craft beers on tap. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. Really enjoyed our dinner will be back again.Special Features:
- Wonderful SteakhouseGreatEaterVIPDined on 12/19/2013Went to the Greystone for our 32 Anniversary. The entire staff was absolutely fantastic, but our server really should be commended for an exemplary job. Very friendly yet efficient in fulfilling all our needs. The Food here was superb. Everything we ordered was cooked perfectly and served at the proper temperature. Highly recommended when in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dining experience ever!AshleyDined on 12/17/2013My husband and I had date night here and boy oh boy was it beyond my expectations! Everything blew us away from the friendly bartender to the succulent steaks!! The manager even came by to check on us mid dinner. We will absolutely return again and again!Special Features:
- Happy happy happy!!!!AmoreinvinoDined on 12/15/2013My girlfriend and I like different food I like steak she like seafood so we decided to go to Greystone, wright choice!!!! First we shared the tuna tartare very very good , for main my girlfriend had the sea bass from chile also very good and very fresh, I had the Elk chop from the suggestion of our waiter, never had elk before now I am a lover I can't stop talking about it . He also pair our meal w a fabulous Oregon Pinot noir the perfect match to our different dishes, for dessert we had the cream brûlée very silky and good .stopped at the bar for an after dinner drink and Rob the bartender made a superb espressotini . Food outstanding , service outstanding , my girlfriend very happy = my life perfect ,thanks Greystone will be back soon !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak and lobsterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/15/2013We where recommended to go to greystone when looking for a fine dining restaurant in the gaslamp. We where finding a lot of corporate chain restaurants or loud watering holes . We where pleasantly surprised to see greystone was neither when we arrived! We where greated by a bubbly , friendly hostess who gave us the option to sit on the outdoor patio or inside by a fireplace. The restaurant was decorated for Christmas inside and was really wa and inviting. The service was very good, and helpful not only about ffod and wine. Wine list was very impressive and the waiter was extremely helpful in helping us narrow done a selection . We chose buffalo and lamb for dinner which where both great. Overall , s great experience. We will recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back soon!theNewlocalsDined on 12/14/2013Greystone steakhouse is our new favorite spot on the Gaslamp! Dinner was delicious, the cioppino was the best I've tasted in San Diego and my husbands bone-in filet was simply melt in my mouth amazing!! Everything cooked to perfection! The service was top notch also, very professional and courteous. Our food arrived promptly and our glasses were never left empty! And have I mentioned what an outstanding wine list they have!! Overall our experience couldn't have been better, we even got to finish it all off with after dinner drinks at the bar (the house specialty, the Greystone espresso martini is a must have!), dancing to the music of their live band! What an awesome night, can't wait to be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good! Service was PERFECT.AmandaMacDined on 12/14/2013We spent a date night out, at Greystone's. The food was so good ~ especially the meatball appetizer (per my husband). Salad was great and the entree was to die for! Great pick by us :)Special Features: