Greystone The Steakhouse
658 5th Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Greystone The Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.greystonesteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (619) 232-0225
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music every Friday & Saturday Night starting at 9:00pm
- Special Events: LIVE MUSIC FRIDAYS & SATURDAYS AT 9pm
A word from Greystone The Steakhouse
Greystone is an independently owned and operated steakhouse located in the heart of downtown San Diego's historic Gaslamp Quarter. We feature aged meat, seafood and pasta with influences from the culinary traditions of Europe, America and the Pacific Rim. To complement our cuisine, Greystone also features an award-winning wine list. Our spacious, multi-level floor plan features a classic yet contemporary decor and a relaxed, cosmopolitan ambiance perfect for entertaining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Greystone The Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Greystone The Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (22)good for groups (17)fit for foodies (17)notable wine list (16)romantic (15)hot spot (13)great for outdoor dining (10)vibrant bar scene (10)neighborhood gem (10)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Excellent Dinning ExperienceDdinerVIPDined on 11/9/2014Came here with a group - They do a great job with group of 45 of us! 4 short blocks away from the convention center Excellent Service very on point, we all had wines and cocktails at all times, service was very friendly and on point, Menu has a great variety, poultry, vegetarian and seafood option in addition to the steaks. Bone-In filet topped with black truffles is a must! We will be back and will spread the word about this awesome steakhouseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TNT1Dined on 11/1/2014The steaks were prepared perfectly and the seasoning was excellent. Service was outstanding, sorry I don't remember the name of the waiter, but he was all over it. He knew exactly what we needed before we needed to ask without being over present. Very nice evening out with my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halloween at GreystoneSacramentodinerDined on 10/31/2014We enjoyed our meal. It was to celebrate Halloween and my brother's birthday so we wanted something fancy. The scallops were a little gritty but that can happen with that type of seafood. The steak was very tender and the stuffed sole delicious. The presentation was very elegant. The service was very good and they even served us a complementary birthday dessert!Special Features:
- This place does not disappoint!DdinerVIPDined on 10/25/2014This place does not disappoint! A great place to unwind after work, catch up with friends and enjoy the finer things in life any day of the week! The service is so warm & everyone is so hospitable - The manager Sara is wonderful & so gracious The food. There is really no comparison here. I've had most of the steaks on the menu, and they are all amazing! Super juicy and flavorful. You have many options of sauces along with other items to throw on top of your delicious choice of meat. I can use all kinds of words to describe the steaks, but I wouldn't be doing them justice. Just get in there and try it! You will not be disappointed. Overall, I don't think I can think of a better restaurant in San Diego.Special Features:
- great placeneneDined on 10/15/2014My first time here and I came with my boyfriend for his birthday and the place was very nice, nice ambiance and the service was great! We both had a great time and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- try the new menu/Adrian as serverDdinerVIPDined on 10/3/2014Been coming here for a while and they have launched their new menu here and it's a must try. Came here with a group of coworkers Lots of rare and game. Trio of game is a hit. Lots of appetizers/ and a raw bar The quail and wild boar sausage is must try. Only steakhouse with Wagyu meats - Japanese Kobe. Pretty incredible - and dark choc gelato is to die for Adrian was a great server very knowledgeable and friendly Will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ELEGANT, TASTY AND FRIENDLY SERVICEDdinerVIPDined on 9/30/2014I stopped in with some friends on a Friday night and was really impressed. The food was delicious, the atmosphere was fun & vibrant, and I loved the live music. The manager, Sara, even came over to welcome us. I had the boneless quail as a starter from the new menu and it was the best I've had. This place also seems like a great location for parties, too. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great meal, but a bit slowgarmanDined on 9/28/2014We really enjoyed our food at Greystone. We ordered from the Restaurant week menu and received great food at a great price. The wild Alaskan salmon and the petit filet were truly outstanding. The only drawback was the pace of service, as the place was really, really busy the night we came (before the Paul McCartney concert at Petco Park, not far away)> Certainly, we'll return, hopefully, when it's not as busy. Still, we enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gabriele was a Divine waiterMaryPDined on 9/28/2014Walking downstairs past the kitchen was an experience. The kitchen staff is bustling. They had a most impressive quietness as this restaurant was busy, actually slammed by pre Paul McCartney diners. I had the Ahi Tuna. Excellently seasoned, sitting on wasabi mashed potatoes...the wasabi was delicate and didn't take over the dish. My friend had the crab steak, which he loved. The other big meat eater had the bone in rib eye (for 6 Jk). We all shared oysters on the half shell as an appetizer. Also we all had the wedge salad. My lettuce was a bit stringy in parts and I like a little tomato with my wedge, as everyone else received tomato. The dressing was perfect. We enjoyed 2 bottles of cab.We were a band on the run...Thank you, GabrieleSpecial Features:
- Good food in the GaslampBobTVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food is great. My wife had the scallop special with risotto and I had the Ahi - both of which were very tasty. Jackie, our server made sure we were served in time to make our theater performance. Adrian, the manager, was very friendly and stopped by our table a few times. Because there was a bachelor party on the second floor, he moved us downstairs so that we could enjoy a quiet meal. We appreciated his thoughtfulness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECTION - Great Steaks & SeafoodDdinerVIPDined on 9/27/2014The best steak in San Diego,love this gem in downtown San Diego,beautiful restaurant,amazing service,best steak in town,their aged ribeye is so good! Love their morel mushroom!yummy desert,great wines!can't say more and it's totally worth the money you pay to get spoil! Would highly recommend it for date nights,treating your parents and out of town guests to show how good San Diego steaks are!Special Features:
- I would go backCharlesVIPDined on 9/26/2014This was a nice place. I had the ribeye. In my opinion better than Ruth Chris / Donovan's /Lou and mickeys, and very close to as good as Eddie Vs. She had the Crab legs and they were great as well. Service was good except they kept pouring iced tea into my water. I did feel a little rushed by the busboys. As we were leaving they were setting up live music. Dual acoustic guitars with a female singer. They were very good and we sat down comfortably and had a few extra glasses of wine before leaving .. The restaraunt portion was loud. My seat was facing the wine rack which made for a great photo but I woul have preferred to be facing out. I would have given 5 stars without the following issues Tea/noise/view and being rushed .. GREAT RIBEYESpecial Features:
- OhioFredfreddybearDined on 9/24/2014So I am in San Diego on business and was looking for a great steak, walking the Gas lamp district and discovered Greystone. After eating here i fell in love with this restaurant as I ate here twice in one week. Not only is the food excellent, but the whole staff went out of their way to treat me like I am a local. The second night I ate here I sat outside. What a wonderful experience. I would recommend this to anyone local or travelers.Special Features:
- Flash711Dined on 9/23/2014I have been here several times, this was maybe the best. As noted in the rating all aspects were 5 star.Special Features:
- Great Dining!PKoversDined on 9/19/2014Fabulous food. Started out with the Wedge, then I had the filet mignon, rare, just the way I like it. Gia, my waiter, was wonderful! I don't know the name of the other wait staff, but he was wonderful too. Everyone was very friendly.Special Features:
- AnaVVIPDined on 9/18/2014Great entertainment. We all truly enjoyed it. The only reason I'm not giving it 4-5 stars is due to my order of filet mignon not up to my standard. I have had better filets at other venues. Everyone at table enjoyed their food - maybe an off night for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak in a long timeKnot2L8Dined on 9/14/2014Superior to 4-5 star chain steak houses. Steak is NOT seasoned. Not necessary, quality stands on it's own. Shared small size assorted seafood appetizer. Surprised at portion and size of crab legs, 4 jumbo size shrimp, 1/2 lobster tail. Oysters were very crisp with briny finish. Shared Side of bacon/corn. Husband had Ahi, piled onto bed of wasabi mashed potatoes, bok Choy. More than ample 3" high cut seared/seasoned perfectly. Glass of Chardonnay, Carrera and bottled beer, $150 tab, impressed! Negative was very noisy/loud dining upstairs. Matre Dei and hostess kept walking thru small dining area between tables, chit chatting with servers, checking for tables, etc. Please be considerate of diners enjoying their evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an experienceNavyWife81Dined on 9/6/2014The food was delicious and the service was amazing. We went there with the hopes of a great steak and were not let down. The food was so flavorful and cooked to perfection. When I find a place that knows how to make a steak that is well done AND still juicy, I'm in heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual diningLuceeLDined on 9/1/2014Upscale dining inside, casual out front. Slow dining, extensive wine list, and good service.Special Features:
- Greystone is DeliciousKtabsDined on 8/28/2014Excellent meal for a special occasion. The Sea Bass Special was delicious and the Steak was perfect. Expensive, but worth it.Special Features:
- Great steak heretsickmeyerDined on 8/20/2014The service was prompt and knowledgable, and my ribeye was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/1/2014Food and service were both very good. We started with Oysters Rockefeller and Stuffed Mushrooms, which were perfect. Everyone in our party was happy with the steaks and the sides of garlic mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus were delicious The ambience, however, left a lot to be desired. The area downstairs is tight and loud. There was a drunk obnoxious patron in the upstairs bar who was making a huge ruckous all throughout dinner. We complained to the manager, as did others. While he apologized profusely and spoke to the man, he and his group were permitted to remain and continued to be boisterous. Our dessert was comped, but that had little significance to the overall disruption to our very expensive meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but loudfoodbusiness23Dined on 8/1/2014we enjoyed the food and wine but there were several loud groups in the bar and the noise flowed into the dining area. good spot for larger groups. intimate dining go elsewhere.Special Features:
- Not great steak for a steakhouseRickVIPDined on 8/1/2014Had the filet oscar. Filet was not a great quality (guessing not center cut) and had no flavor/seasoning. The "oscar" was touted as lump crab. Not a lump in it - more like some kind of crab mush. Service was very good and i sat on the patio which made the people watching fun. those things made the overall rating Fair vs. Poor.Special Features:
- The following 192 reviews are from the Greystone The Steakhouse reviews archive.
- Better than expected...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/25/2014Greystone The Steak House is a restaurant in the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego service steaks and seafood. + Beautiful dining room + Service was friendly and professional + Food was better than anticipated. Everyone at our table agreed their steak and seafood dishes were well above average. - Loud when busy - No need for live music when it's already packed... did I mention it was noisy? Overall a great meal.
- Great food, great time!AndrewDined on 7/25/2014Had a wonderful time at this location. Located in the middle of San Diego's Gaslamp district, they make very good use of their space. Two floors of dining plus a middle level with the bar. They have a spacious lounge, good bartenders, and excellent staff. Their oysters on the half shell were delicious and they gave me a great ribeye. My fiancee had the king crab legs and they were excellent as well. Too bad we didn't have room for dessert!Special Features:
- DisappointingComiconnedDined on 7/24/2014My husband and I ate here during Comic-Con so we could sit outside and watch all the people. This was the only good thing about this place. I ordered a wedge salad. The lettuce was completely yellow. No green anywhere. If it would have been at home in my fridge, I would have thrown it out. There were only 4 bacon bits on the salad, and it was literally swimming in what tasted like a bottled blue cheese dressing. Then, my husband and I shared the rib eye. The waitress audibly sighed when we told her we would be sharing a meal, as if already calculating the tip in her head. The rib eye was under seasoned, over cooked and obviously not a "prime" piece of meat. The garlic mashed potatoes were thin and watery. Not worth the money.Special Features:
- Just OK...alteredegoVIPDined on 7/10/2014Dined at this restaurant on a Thursday. $10 valet parking near the door. The interior is pleasant and more colorful than many Downtown restaurants occupying older buildings. After being seated upstairs for dinner, reasonably quick service and drinks followed. The stage for "OKness" was immediately set by a initial serving of bread that might have been sliced from a grocery-store baguette: tasteless and underwhelming. A disappointing shrimp cocktail with mealy, granular shrimp followed. The salads as a whole were better, especially the Greystone salad, but were served on warm plates. The steaks were not bad (a la Oscar, NY Strip), but the entree prices with sides are expensive and didn't redeem a ho-hum meal. No need to return here.
- Good steak in the Gaslamp fistSteakhouseDined on 7/3/2014Good service and good food. Outdoor seating is great but inside feels a little claustrophobic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Excels; Food MehSDMomDined on 6/15/2014Went with husband and Dad on Father's Day. Once a year they like a good, albeit expensive steak, sides extra. Love Donovan's and Ruth's Chris. Tried this place for free entree for Dad. They each got bone-in filet, one boneless filet. Meat was tender and well flavored inside, but missed that sizzle you get at the other places. They seemed to have sat a while. Sides were corn and mushrooms, both great and enough for 3, but the mashed potatoes were a watery bore. Also got apps - lump crab cake was tasty but more bread filler than lump crab. Kind of mushy. Wedge salad was ok. Bread was a bore too. A good sourdough please? Weird music - 70's pop - wrong place for that. Service great. Hostess, wait staff, manager, all terrific.
- Wonderful Food, Great Night!katy101VIPDined on 6/14/2014Food was wonderful, fish done perfectly. Good Drinks and good wine list. Only fault was our food didn't come out at the same time...awkward. Pretty pricey...will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014Although our waitress was good about getting everything delivered to our time in a timely manner it was all business with her. She came across as stiff no personality. That might have been because of the number of tables she had to cover, not sure. Over all she got our food to us and it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS A TREATTracDined on 5/24/2014We love to go to Greystone Steakhouse whenever we're downtown. The food is great and I love the ambience and service.Special Features:
- A little DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/30/2014I have been before and had a great experience. This time, while the service was very good, the food -- both in taste and presentation -- was fair at best, and the air conditioning was not working well so it was not comfortable.
- San Diego - steakhouseTheo2Dined on 4/24/2014Very good steakhouse in the gaslamp district. Busy steetlife with outdoor seating or cozy indoor seating on two levels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greystone The SteakhouseRyanDDined on 4/18/2014It was truly a great experience overall! The food was great and although a bit pricey you got a lot of food for what you paid, unlike some expensive restaurants. A great atmosphere and very friendly and fun service. We had a 6pm reservation on a Friday and were seated immediately on the patio. A great night with great food at a fantastic restaurant!Special Features:
- GreystoneLPcommentsDined on 4/12/2014I had chicken florentine, it was pretty good. But my boyfriend had a streak and it wasn't that great. Especially, because the restaurant is known for steaks. Flemings steaks were better.Special Features:
- LOVE THIS PLACE!victoriaDined on 4/11/2014The service is always great! The food is always amazing! The always have great specials! On fridaysand saturday nights they have great bands!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greystone = GreatStone = Fantasticbkm425VIPDined on 4/6/2014You get what you pay for - and you if you have wine, etc. plan on paying about $75-80 per person including tip - but the food is fantastic. No three star, under $20 per person restaurant but this place steps up and knocks it out of the park. Greystone is consistently a step above the rest of the Gaslamp's cuisine. Steak, Italian pasta, Elk, Buffalo with port wine reduction, fine wine list - its all here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's okay!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/4/2014The service was good, but the filet mignon was nothing special. There are much better places to go for a nice steak - Donovans, Ruth Chris. The prices were high I thought for what you got.