Grey Horse Tavern
291 Bayport Ave
Bayport, NY 11705Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grey Horse Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.greyhorsetavern.com/
- Phone: 6314721868
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Friday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Catering options are available. Please contact the restaurant directly.
- Private Party Contact: Irene Dougal 6314721868
A word from Grey Horse Tavern
Everything we prepare is made from scratch, using the best local, seasonal & sustainable ingredients. Grey Horse Tavern is proud to support small farms, local producers, artists and musicians.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Grey Horse Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (29)special occasion (18)good for groups (14)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (11)romantic (11)great for brunch (9)hot spot (8)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- PupsterDined on 9/17/2014Great food at The Grey Horse (GHT) enjoyed our dinner. A must try gem. Enjoy music on weekends. Been there many times , never a problem. Service very attentive.Special Features:
- No good...girls night outlamaDined on 9/12/2014My friends and I couldn't hear each other talk, personally felt like I was deaf when I left as it was too loud in there. The service was weird as they didn't seem to know when to bring your main course out. We were seated at a small table and brought our main course out whil we were just eating our appetizers. It was very ackward abd they were cold by the time we ate them.
- Fried PicklesMrVladimirDined on 9/12/2014Listen. Stop what you're doing and start thinking about the best fried pickles you've ever had. Then make plans to hit up the Grey Horse Tavern with your good friend or significant other. Once you're there, and have ordered yourself some fried pickles, be prepared for your old ideas about what constitutes "best" to be entirely redefined. My burger was delicious and cooked as ordered (med. rare). My friend's fried chicken sandwich was equally tasty, and my ladyfriend's fried eggplant sandwich was a delight. There's a pretty good beer selection, and the wine selection was adequate. All in all, it was a lovely time with quality food and a good atmosphere. Check it out when you get a chance!Special Features:
- A new favorite spotsockmonkeyDined on 9/7/2014Tried Grey Horse Tavern for the first time about a month ago, and it's quickly become a favorite casual dinner destination. The food is consistently excellent, as is the service. The two salads I tried were both excellent (the North Fork farmstand salad, and the pear salad). The burger, vegetarian burger (made with black beans and quinoa), and fried chicken sandwich were delicious. And I loved the white bean and kale soup, a special recently. And don't get me started on those fried pickles...Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinner!CherylDined on 8/20/2014Had a great experience! This was our wedding anniversary celebration dinner & wanted to try something new, well guess what we WILL be back! The food was great along with the choice of cocktails and beers that made my husband happy:) and the wait staff was very assertive & professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!!LongBeachGirlDined on 8/19/2014Tempura kale??? Yes and it was the tastiest thing I've ever ate. From the appetizer to my entree every bite was a unique blend of tastes that made it a memorable evening. The staff was down to earth and efficient. The space made me feel I was somewhere in the Hudson valley. I reccomend it to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ehhhOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Havent been here since last summer. The place was so-so. nothing was really bad,but.... doubt if i'll go back anytime soon. The place was drab with made me feel drab!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodGRUMPYDined on 8/15/2014This was a good restauraunt,i only wish there menu was not so limited.I guess for a pub type place it was good enoughSpecial Features:
- A wonderful experienceJorgeDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I dined at The Grey Horse Tavern with another couple. When we made our reservation, we asked for a quiet table away from the bar. We were happy to be seated at a round table in the far corner of one of the indoor porches where we could enjoy good conversation during dinner. The service and the food was outstanding. We all had the sea bass and fresh farm vegetables which was the special that evening. It was so delicious. We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly a special placeLloydsofIslipDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I rarely deviate from a few favorite restaurants near our home each Friday where we look to unwind after our typical hectic week. Last month we decided to look for someplace "new" to try out but didn't want a place where you'd have to wait for an hour or struggle to find parking. After reading a few reviews about GHT, we decided it might be worth a try. After two dinners there, we both say that this is our "new favorite restaurant". The chef there is top notch coming up with a great selection of the menu for appetizers, entrees and desserts, a trifecta of the palate! The specials are truly SPECIAL in all aspects of taste, originality and presentation. The ambiance is wonderful for a first date or with all your friends!Special Features:
- A Hidden GemmpdegeDined on 8/2/2014I don't visit here often enough, a thought that always to comes to mind when I visit the Grey Horse. We are never disappointed, whether we stop by for a drink and see the Lone Sharks, or a quiet lunch on a Saturday afternoon. The staff is friendly and attentive, the menu is creative and top notch.Special Features:
- Fantastic food!CindyCompDined on 7/29/2014We love this restaurant. The menu changes with the season, based on what is locally available to the chef. Reasonably priced. Great waitstaff. Excellent seasonal cocktails as well. Do not miss the warm beignets for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hometown restaurant!jcarDined on 7/20/2014Went for brunch with a couple of friends. The place is so cozy and decorated perfectly for where it's located. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was great. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funport in BayportfunportDined on 7/12/2014Always welcoming along with great food and friendly staff. Grey Horse is our families go to place (all ages), no reason needed. Madeline NastaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodMidgieVIPDined on 7/12/2014Never a dull moment here. The lobster BLT was delicious! The pulled pork outstanding! A must try, haven't had a bad meal yet!Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsBrooklyn2JerseyDined on 6/28/2014I'm not familiar with the area but spent a recent Saturday night nearby. Reviews I read sounded pretty good and Grey Horse sounded like the kind of place I'd be comfortable in so we made a 7:00 reservation. Grey Horse was off a main road and looked pretty plain so I was concerned. Drove into the parking lot, relatively early and found a large number of cars there already.-great sign. Greeted promptly, pleasantly and escorted us to an excellent table. We had a question about the wine list which the waiter could not answer about promptly got a good answer from the bartender. The choice exactly matched the request. There was a special asparagus appetizer-great and I had a special ravioli-wonderful. Don't skip dessert either!Special Features:
- Always a great experienceLojoLuvsRosaVIPDined on 6/27/2014The food is consistently terrific. The ingredients are always fresh, and there are always specials with things you wouldn't expect but which turn out to be delicious, like the corn and polenta stuffed ravioli we had last Friday night. Who would have thought (???) but it was incredible! The bartenders turn out some pretty terrific cocktails, too. I love the mojitos, and the mint is grown right out back in the restaurant's herb garden. Yum. One of the best things about the Grey Horse, for me, is the wait staff. Every person who works there seems to be really happy to be there. It shows in their interaction with the customers, and some of my favorites are there week after week, year after year. We love Grey Horse Tavern!!Special Features:
- Never DisappointedschlspchpthDined on 6/21/2014We had a party of 6. They table was ready for us when we arrived. We were all happy with our meals and the service. I don't eat meat and am always pleased with the other choices on the menu. My friends were also very satisfied with their meals. Love the local bands that perform weekly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BD lunch!JimJamDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed a nice meal with our family to celebrate a birthday in the family. The service in the restaurant was terrific, especially taking good care of our 2 yr. old granddaughter. A good time was had by all!Special Features:
- Local GemFreshfoodloverDined on 6/13/2014Grey Horse is the neighborhood go to. The staff is attentive and hospitable. The food is fresh and innovative. Decor is cozy and cool. And the live music is fabulous !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulitaDined on 6/13/2014Great local fare; have been 3x and truly enjoyed each time. Great grilled fish-so tasty! Staff very professional and knowledgable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/7/2014Service was uneven but food delicious as usual. Busboy needs a little training to clear starter plates before serving main meal. Dessert took too long to arrive. Otherwise goodSpecial Features:
- My go to place.missrose2Dined on 6/4/2014Every time I go to the Greyhourse tavern I am pleased. All the food is fresh and very tasty. A great find and I always leave happy. Service is great and everyone is friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farmhouse DeliciousMamesDined on 5/31/2014Really enjoyed the easy ambience and the food was exactly what I enjoy most....Fresh, Flavourful and Simplistic! Soft-shell Crab under a bed of Arugula, Peppers, Crisp Julienned String Beans and Lobster in a Citrus Dressing...Perfection!Special Features:
- Good food, terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2014The food is wonderful. Farm to table fresh and inventive. We all enjoyed the flavors, but be warned! We had not even finished our salads and the entrees were being served. Two plates were removed from the table (of 4) partially uneaten in the rush. Dessert wasn't even finished when we were presented with the check. When the waitress came to tell us that they had a reservation waiting for the table and we needed to leave, we were stunned! We had not been we had a 6pm reservation and it was 7:45. Not worth the $250+ tab. We won't be going back.Special Features:
- PotentialSilvasDined on 5/23/2014This restaurant is in a beautiful old home. There is a limited menu but should be something for everyone. Food was good. Our waitress took our order than I quickly realized she didn't ask if we wanted appetizers, which we did, or ask how I wanted my steak cooked. I had to flag her down to complete my order. When the dinner came we realized we had no forks ( taken when appetizers were cleared) so we had to flag her down again. Usually the server will come back within a few minutes of dinner to see how everything is, but she didn't. Had to flag her down yet again to get a drink refill. My 12oz steak was nowhere near 12 oz but had good flavor in the sauce. A regular baked potato, nothing special. Summary, good food Service not so good.
- The following 96 reviews are from the Grey Horse Tavern reviews archive.
- Nice spot for a group dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/20/2014Our group of 10 was highly satisfied with our dinner on a Tuesday night. We enjoyed a variety of appetizers, drinks, and entrees. We'll definitely return for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CettaCanDined on 5/17/2014I enjoy the atmosphere at the Grey Horse Tavern and the food is unique. I look forward to trying new dishes on their menu and plan to visit again soon. Our server was friendly and made great suggestions. I highly recommend this restaurant for a casual night out with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatriciaVIPDined on 5/11/2014Dinner was good, and service was fine. Disappointed that they use peanut oil for fries as it limited the options for us, though.Special Features:
- Never fails!IamthewalrusDined on 5/11/2014I am always beyond happy with this place! The food absolutely delicious, fresh, and creative. The atmosphere is relaxing, comfortable, and cozy. I love the look and decorations of this Victorian style house. During the day, I love going for brunch/lunch with friends and family. At night, I adore the romantic atmosphere with dim lighting. Also, they have excellent bands that play at night and sometimes during Sunday brunch. Great beer selection as well! Overall, awesome place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant surprise.WeezeDined on 5/10/2014This was our first time eating here and we really were pleasantly surprised at how good the food was. The resturant is farm to table and we both had dishes which were fresh and delicious. Only dien side: We used Open Table and requested a romantic table but were put in a noisy dining room instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go to casual fine dining placeNewyorknanaDined on 5/10/2014Whether for a burger, salad or something more special, the GHT always delivers on great service and fresh local fare with a creative flare.Special Features:
- Love It!MidgieVIPDined on 5/4/2014Haven't had a bad meal yet! Love the pear salad and the burgers! Worth a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/4/2014We had thought about Dining at this restaurant for many years.It was a big disappoinment.The food was tasteless,overpriced and generally not good.The sat us in the outside patio room which was isolated and as a result we were neglected by the staff and actually had to look for them several times to get water etc.We will not go back We are people who dine out several times a week and consider ourselves foodies.
- Great placeTreeDined on 5/3/2014The place is very pleasant and comfortable ,Saturday night they had a band playing after 9:30 which is good because there's some quiet time when having dinner.Food is also very good love the clams au gratin ,trout was wonderful and fried chicken sandwich was tasty.Special Features:
- Great Bar but Food was AverageGilliVIPDined on 5/2/2014We were there on a busy Friday night, had to wait about 40 minutes for our table with a reservation. The bar was packed and the live music was loud, it was difficult to have a conversation during dinner. Heard a lot about the food, but I thought it was just average. I would go back to hang at the bar, but I don't think I would eat there again.Special Features:
- Great Find!!AldoDined on 4/29/2014Wanted to find a venue that had live music on a Tuesday evening. Found the Grayhorse via a Google search. Tuesday night is open mic night and ended up staying until closing time. Great place great atmosphere great entertainment awesome experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than Anticipated2FoodiesDined on 4/26/2014We came across Grey Horse Tavern while searching on line for a new restaurant to try. The menu itself, along with the venue was appealing. We read the rave reviews and decided to try it. well, it was even better than we expected!! The food was delicious, from appetizer through to dessert! Every dish brought to our table was great! And the staff was very knowledgeable about the menu and very pleasant and efficient. We will definitely make many more visits to the Grey Horse Tavern!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diannbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Easter dinner at grey horse. Waiters were great. Food delicious. Hostess not too friendly. Quiet day.Just what we were looking for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience all aroundHappyFoodie98VIPDined on 4/20/2014As a former chef, I am rather particular/critical about my dining experiences... But I also give credit where credit is due. The menu was well laid out with plenty of offerings, the service was on point, decor was beautiful, and the food was prepared/seasoned/displayed artfully. Everyone in my party left very satisfied. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.