Grey Horse Tavern
291 Bayport Ave
Bayport, NY 11705Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grey Horse Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.greyhorsetavern.com/
- Phone: (631) 472-1868
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Friday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Catering options are available. Please contact the restaurant directly.
- Private Party Contact: Irene Dougal 6314721868
A word from Grey Horse Tavern
Everything we prepare is made from scratch, using the best local, seasonal & sustainable ingredients. Grey Horse Tavern is proud to support small farms, local producers, artists and musicians.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Grey Horse Tavern - Best Restaurants in Bayport ›
Grey Horse Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (46)fit for foodies (38)good for groups (25)special occasion (24)romantic (21)vibrant bar scene (19)great for brunch (16)hot spot (13)great for lunch (11)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Wonderful ServiceMasquedDined on 11/22/2014We were a party of 3. They had a quiet table for us and the wait staff was excellent. Food was good but nothing really popped out as being special. They do have several things for vegetarians that were nice and a plate of green bean, carrot, cauliflower and beet pickles was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable evening with friendsMomtennis58Dined on 11/21/2014Local Fare - 3 of us enjoyed the Peconic Bay Scallops and 1 mighty fine burger. Our server Jake was attentive and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing....WODSMALLDined on 11/19/2014THE WAITRESS was very curt and unfriendly, definitely didn't want to be there. Soup of the Day, served cold... Coffee served, one dessert ordered ,10 mins,after coffee came, Burger good but will Never go back..
- Great food!not2greatDined on 11/15/2014Everything about this place is great! Only thing is, the hostess was NOT the mostest! She was extremely rude to put it plainly. I know how great this place is though, so I was willing to overlook it, but a new customer may just walk out before even trying the food. If this was my first time there I know I would have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEVER Disappointed at Grey HorseCrazy4my4VIPDined on 11/14/2014My husband and I ALWAYS chose Grey Horse. Especially when we just feel like a cold beer and a burger. We love the atmosphere and charm of the place. ALL the servers and staff are friendly. It truly is a neighborhood gem. Love that the menu and cocktail list changes with the season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really terrific!FinnaticDined on 11/1/2014This was our third time for dinner at GHT and it was, again, terrific! From the service to appetizers/dinner/dessert, it was all wonderful. We treated close friends to dinner, their first visit, and they really enjoyed it as well. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- comfortable spotHungryrunnerDined on 11/1/2014I'm not a meat eater and the menu is heavy with meat selections, so I had the pasta with squash and kale. Plenty of squash but only a few specks of kale which was disappointing, & overall it lacked flavor. Presentation was nice. Calamari shared by our group had too many raw chopped black olives in it that detracted from the dish. My margarita was unusual & although I like different & unusual tastes, I was not enamored. Most of my group had burgers & they felt the fries were limp & should've been crisper. Id give Grey Horse one more try before giving it a thumbs down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food in an Unlikely PlacealwayshungryDined on 11/1/2014Grey Horse Tavern is right next to the train station in Bayport. It looks like a house which seemed strange, but it is really charming. The first time I went, I sat at the bar. The bartenders were friendly and made a great Manhattan! We ate at the bar and the bartenders made great recommendations. If you are a fan of fried pickles, these are the best I've had! They had a great specials menu. The second time I went, my group sat at a table in a separate room from the bar. The waiters were equally as friendly and though they didn't have a specials menu because they were serving a new menu, the food was equally as satisfying. They cook all orders to order and because it took a long time, they sent us complimentary beer refills. Great place!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Amazing as usual! The food is always clean, fresh ,organic and the music spectacular... Great beer on tap..my kind of place!Special Features:
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014This place is great.. We eat here often and I've never had one thing I didn't enjoy. Great atmosphere and The Sunday brunch with live music is something I love.. Can't get there on Sundays much, however it is the only place I will go for brunch. Prices are reasonable and the staff are great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Brunch2brunchDined on 10/5/2014Took the family. Had fried chicken and waffles-spectacular. Banana brioche French toast was a huge hit- my daughter said it tasted like heaven. The burgers are one of the best we ever had. My son was begging to order one to go for later. Texas toast egg sandwich was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/5/2014One of my favorite local spots. Great for special occasions or a casual night out. Wonderful atmosphere. We are regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Absolute Favorite!Curlygirly1Dined on 9/27/2014The food is consistently great, the staff is amazing, the bar scene is always lively, and the live music is always top-notch. Always a cool vibe. My favorite place to go, whether it be with friends or for date night with the hubs. I highly recommend!Special Features:
- Grey HorseMariaDined on 9/26/2014The first time we went there was with friends who are from the neighborhood. We enjoyed it so much that we've been trying to get back there for some time. We finally went Friday night and we were so glad we did. My husband had the burger and I had the veggie burger, so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative farm to table menumccmVIPDined on 9/25/2014Yes the burger is great but items like the Pantry Press on the Fall menu are inventive and delightful.Special Features:
- Julie_NYOakdalejulieDined on 9/20/2014We love Grey Horse the menu is always interesting and they change it seasonally. There is a nice wine list. I find the service to always be outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PupsterDined on 9/17/2014Great food at The Grey Horse (GHT) enjoyed our dinner. A must try gem. Enjoy music on weekends. Been there many times , never a problem. Service very attentive.Special Features:
- Never disappoints.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Great Burgers, beer, salads and surprises on the specials.Special Features:
- No good...girls night outlamaDined on 9/12/2014My friends and I couldn't hear each other talk, personally felt like I was deaf when I left as it was too loud in there. The service was weird as they didn't seem to know when to bring your main course out. We were seated at a small table and brought our main course out whil we were just eating our appetizers. It was very ackward abd they were cold by the time we ate them.
- Fried PicklesMrVladimirDined on 9/12/2014Listen. Stop what you're doing and start thinking about the best fried pickles you've ever had. Then make plans to hit up the Grey Horse Tavern with your good friend or significant other. Once you're there, and have ordered yourself some fried pickles, be prepared for your old ideas about what constitutes "best" to be entirely redefined. My burger was delicious and cooked as ordered (med. rare). My friend's fried chicken sandwich was equally tasty, and my ladyfriend's fried eggplant sandwich was a delight. There's a pretty good beer selection, and the wine selection was adequate. All in all, it was a lovely time with quality food and a good atmosphere. Check it out when you get a chance!Special Features:
- A new favorite spotsockmonkeyDined on 9/7/2014Tried Grey Horse Tavern for the first time about a month ago, and it's quickly become a favorite casual dinner destination. The food is consistently excellent, as is the service. The two salads I tried were both excellent (the North Fork farmstand salad, and the pear salad). The burger, vegetarian burger (made with black beans and quinoa), and fried chicken sandwich were delicious. And I loved the white bean and kale soup, a special recently. And don't get me started on those fried pickles...Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinner!CherylDined on 8/20/2014Had a great experience! This was our wedding anniversary celebration dinner & wanted to try something new, well guess what we WILL be back! The food was great along with the choice of cocktails and beers that made my husband happy:) and the wait staff was very assertive & professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!!LongBeachGirlDined on 8/19/2014Tempura kale??? Yes and it was the tastiest thing I've ever ate. From the appetizer to my entree every bite was a unique blend of tastes that made it a memorable evening. The staff was down to earth and efficient. The space made me feel I was somewhere in the Hudson valley. I reccomend it to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ehhhOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Havent been here since last summer. The place was so-so. nothing was really bad,but.... doubt if i'll go back anytime soon. The place was drab with made me feel drab!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodGRUMPYDined on 8/15/2014This was a good restauraunt,i only wish there menu was not so limited.I guess for a pub type place it was good enoughSpecial Features:
- A wonderful experienceJorgeDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I dined at The Grey Horse Tavern with another couple. When we made our reservation, we asked for a quiet table away from the bar. We were happy to be seated at a round table in the far corner of one of the indoor porches where we could enjoy good conversation during dinner. The service and the food was outstanding. We all had the sea bass and fresh farm vegetables which was the special that evening. It was so delicious. We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly a special placeLloydsofIslipDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I rarely deviate from a few favorite restaurants near our home each Friday where we look to unwind after our typical hectic week. Last month we decided to look for someplace "new" to try out but didn't want a place where you'd have to wait for an hour or struggle to find parking. After reading a few reviews about GHT, we decided it might be worth a try. After two dinners there, we both say that this is our "new favorite restaurant". The chef there is top notch coming up with a great selection of the menu for appetizers, entrees and desserts, a trifecta of the palate! The specials are truly SPECIAL in all aspects of taste, originality and presentation. The ambiance is wonderful for a first date or with all your friends!Special Features:
- A Hidden GemmpdegeDined on 8/2/2014I don't visit here often enough, a thought that always to comes to mind when I visit the Grey Horse. We are never disappointed, whether we stop by for a drink and see the Lone Sharks, or a quiet lunch on a Saturday afternoon. The staff is friendly and attentive, the menu is creative and top notch.Special Features:
- Fantastic food!CindyCompDined on 7/29/2014We love this restaurant. The menu changes with the season, based on what is locally available to the chef. Reasonably priced. Great waitstaff. Excellent seasonal cocktails as well. Do not miss the warm beignets for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 110 reviews are from the Grey Horse Tavern reviews archive.
- Great hometown restaurant!jcarDined on 7/20/2014Went for brunch with a couple of friends. The place is so cozy and decorated perfectly for where it's located. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was great. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funport in BayportfunportDined on 7/12/2014Always welcoming along with great food and friendly staff. Grey Horse is our families go to place (all ages), no reason needed. Madeline NastaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodMidgieVIPDined on 7/12/2014Never a dull moment here. The lobster BLT was delicious! The pulled pork outstanding! A must try, haven't had a bad meal yet!Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsBrooklyn2JerseyDined on 6/28/2014I'm not familiar with the area but spent a recent Saturday night nearby. Reviews I read sounded pretty good and Grey Horse sounded like the kind of place I'd be comfortable in so we made a 7:00 reservation. Grey Horse was off a main road and looked pretty plain so I was concerned. Drove into the parking lot, relatively early and found a large number of cars there already.-great sign. Greeted promptly, pleasantly and escorted us to an excellent table. We had a question about the wine list which the waiter could not answer about promptly got a good answer from the bartender. The choice exactly matched the request. There was a special asparagus appetizer-great and I had a special ravioli-wonderful. Don't skip dessert either!Special Features:
- Always a great experienceLojoLuvsRosaVIPDined on 6/27/2014The food is consistently terrific. The ingredients are always fresh, and there are always specials with things you wouldn't expect but which turn out to be delicious, like the corn and polenta stuffed ravioli we had last Friday night. Who would have thought (???) but it was incredible! The bartenders turn out some pretty terrific cocktails, too. I love the mojitos, and the mint is grown right out back in the restaurant's herb garden. Yum. One of the best things about the Grey Horse, for me, is the wait staff. Every person who works there seems to be really happy to be there. It shows in their interaction with the customers, and some of my favorites are there week after week, year after year. We love Grey Horse Tavern!!Special Features:
- Never DisappointedschlspchpthDined on 6/21/2014We had a party of 6. They table was ready for us when we arrived. We were all happy with our meals and the service. I don't eat meat and am always pleased with the other choices on the menu. My friends were also very satisfied with their meals. Love the local bands that perform weekly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BD lunch!JimJamDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed a nice meal with our family to celebrate a birthday in the family. The service in the restaurant was terrific, especially taking good care of our 2 yr. old granddaughter. A good time was had by all!Special Features:
- Local GemFreshfoodloverVIPDined on 6/13/2014Grey Horse is the neighborhood go to. The staff is attentive and hospitable. The food is fresh and innovative. Decor is cozy and cool. And the live music is fabulous !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulitaDined on 6/13/2014Great local fare; have been 3x and truly enjoyed each time. Great grilled fish-so tasty! Staff very professional and knowledgable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/7/2014Service was uneven but food delicious as usual. Busboy needs a little training to clear starter plates before serving main meal. Dessert took too long to arrive. Otherwise goodSpecial Features:
- My go to place.missrose2Dined on 6/4/2014Every time I go to the Greyhourse tavern I am pleased. All the food is fresh and very tasty. A great find and I always leave happy. Service is great and everyone is friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.