Grey Gables Inn
308 Belvedere Avenue
Charlevoix, MI 49720Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Grey Gables Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.greygablesinn.com/
- Phone: 2315479261
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Global, International, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Grey Gables Inn
Today Grey Gables continues to offer the kind of traditional up-north dining experience that has made the restaurant a favorite Charlevoix destination for nearly 75 years. Owners Kelly and Darren Romano are Culinary Institute of America graduates. Their recipe for success combines a flair for creativity with the freshest ingredients to provide a satisfying dining experience that will leave a lasting impression.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Grey Gables Inn - Best Restaurants in Charlevoix ›
Grey Gables Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (29)neighborhood gem (28)special occasion (27)fit for foodies (24)notable wine list (9)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Incredible ExperienceRandeVIPDined on 9/10/2014Start with the location--beautiful Charlevoix on a quaint street. Then add charming old home with a variety of rooms for comfortable seating. Wait staff, service is impeccable. We have our favorite, Pam, but each server is knowledgeable and attentive. The host takes good care of any customers' needs.Now----the food.They are known for their prime rib, and there's a reason. Simply wonderful. Darren, owner and chef, has a variety of delectable dishes from which to choose, to please any diner.If you're in the mood for an after-dinner libation, the bar is a great place to relax and enjoy. Don't miss this "one of a kind" dining establishment! It will become one of your favorites.Special Features:
- Raves from CaliforniansSnowbirdVIPDined on 9/10/2014We went with friends who live in California and are used to 'eating well'. The man ordered the caesar salad to start with and said it was one of the best he's ever had. The woman had the white fish and said it 'melted in her mouth'. We frequently come here to eat and we always enjoy it. But, it's fun to bring out-of-towners and hear their raves, too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special place !UplanderDined on 9/10/2014We chose Grey Gables for the name, and it surpassed all expectations. The ambiance reminded us of the Victorian restaurants of Cape May, NJ. superior food and presentation, expert service and a notable wine list. A perfect package!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Charlevoix's bestTrunkSlammerDined on 9/5/2014Grey Gables has been one of Charlevoix's best restaurants for more than a decade. It's CIA trained owners have supplemented a solid, traditional menu with elegant additions from elsewhere including a hangar steak and a mussels diablo. There are several specials on the supplemental menu that changes weekly. The service is always excellent. Charlevoix is blessed with several good restaurants, and Grey Gables is consistently on that list.Special Features:
- Nice , quiet and good foodContiDined on 9/2/2014This restaurant is a pleasure to go to. The service is good and the food very good. We had the strip steak and the fish. Both were prepared perfectly.Special Features:
- Best Dining in CharlevoixluvGreyGablesDined on 8/31/2014The best restaurant in Charlevoix. Food, atmosphere, service and location are superb. My favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence7YearsMarriedDined on 8/30/2014Excellent food & service. Staff was friendly & knowledgeable of the menu. Really a great night out with my wife!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better than remembered!luveetodineDined on 8/23/2014Was here many years ago, and was not expecting the delicious food and fabulous presentation! The place could use a bit of updating, that's a bit picky, considering tasty food is the #1 thing for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional mealAkosDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I were pleasantly surprised when we were able to reserve a table 30 minutes before arriving on a Friday night! We were greeted by a friendly staff! We only had a 5 minute wait for a table on the porchand it was a delightful setting. The service provided by Aaron was very good! My husband had the prime rib special and was very pleased with the quality. I had the whitefish with pecans, also a special for the evening. It was delicious and an ample portion. The people at the other tables were very friendly and, like us, were there for an enjoyable dining experience. I love the fact that they provide shuttle service, which we will take advantage of next trip!Special Features:
- We're from NYnyfoodieDined on 8/17/2014Ordered a salmon cake and it was a big mistake. One does NOT heat up smoked salmon. They quickly redeemed themselves with delicious scones ( I bought 12 to go) and wonderful Wal eye and white fish. Dessert was a disappointment. Description on the menu did not match what we were served. Cherries "moobilee" was just black cherry ice cream. The homemade brownie was a dry tiny square cookie and there were no fudge swirls in the ice cream. One can tell I love dessert. All in all we did enjoy our time at Grey GablesSpecial Features:
- Great dining experience!RyanDined on 8/16/2014Our food was fantastic and the live pianist was great. Overall, our entire party had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not recomendedunhappyDined on 8/16/20148/16/14 Arrived for a special night out for my wife's birthday. The table was great and the overall atmosphere was good. My wife ordered the stuffed white fish which she liked until she found a hair on it. The wait staffs response was oh sorry, I can get you another one but it will be 10-15 minutes. Disappointed she opted for the prime rib which was delivered by who I am assuming was the manager (he did not introduce himself nor he offered any apologies). The Prime rib was tuff and had no flavor. My scallops on the other hand were very good. Our bill was adjusted to the Prime rib price, but a simple offer to buy us a drink or desert would have been appropriate. All in all we felt that they could not care less about it. We will not return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The food was great except for one dish( the duck was very stringing could hardly be cut) they did replace it with another dish when sent back. Our specific waitperson was not very good. Never gave us the bread that all other diners received and seemed unsure of themselves.I would recommend this to a friend.
- sbzmomDined on 8/13/2014We visit Charlevoix at least once per summer and Grey Gables is on our list of "must do". Wednesday is sushi night and they nail it. We took our 3 kids (ages 15, 13, 11) and they were all thrilled with their meals (steaks, prime rib). It is a wonderful walk through the neighborhood from the marina where we stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too great expectationsdeliciousDined on 7/28/2014I had always wanted to come to Grey Gables because of its romantic reputation. The inflexibility of the chef was a real turnoff. Our son in San Francisco, who works in the restaurant industry, always educates that "if it's on the menu, you should be able to substitute!" I guess NOT at Grey Gables! The place is faded and shabby and the food was NOTHING special. Very poorly seasoned.
- Dinner at Grey GablesServiceDined on 7/25/2014Dinner started out great and our waitress Pam (we got her name at the end with our bill) was really nice, which changed by the end of our dinner. Probs: We got our bread but no butter, coffee no sugar & no Pam. We had to flag down another waiter each time to get it for us. When we finally flagged her down to order after dinner drinks-we got service with an attitude & rude comment! Our bill was all together, which we wanted separate bills & was told that we should have mentioned it to her earlier. First of all she wasn't around for us to mention & most waiters ask at the beginning. This was our 2nd visit, as we loved the ambience, food and service, if I had to have Pam as my waitress again-we wouldn't be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrhrlDined on 7/18/2014ate outside for the first time. great ahi tuna appetizer and steak was served just as we wanted itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grey GablesDobberDined on 7/18/2014Food as always was excellent....service as always was spotty.Special Features:
- Outstanding experienceTravelerVIPDined on 7/13/2014We had dinner on July 13 and both of us ordered the Salmon preparation with a leek preparation. It was one of the best Salmon dinners I have had. The entire dining experience was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodRandyDined on 7/11/2014We went to Grey Gables Inn expecting pizza and maybe a beer but found that it was a fine dining restaurant as well. We would have stuck with the pizza and beer idea but they had a special (2 dinners for $44) that changed our minds. The food was excellent as well as the service. We would definately dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Good friends, good food, good entertainment (the piano player/singer was fabulous....a lot of fun!)Special Features:
- One of the best Up NorthLGPamVIPDined on 7/3/2014We have never been unhappy dining at GGs. The menu has lots of options. The salmon entree is always outstanding and beautifully presented. My husband raved about the special prime rib offered in 3 sizes. Kale salad with cherries and a lobster risotto to start - excellent. Service could be improved, but the detail to the food is incredible. A lovely setting on a quiet street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelymirevansDined on 7/1/2014We were visiting the area and wanted a quiet, special, romantic place for dinner. The Gray Gables fit the bill perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findLarksfamDined on 6/29/2014Set in a quaint old house - food and service was great.Special Features:
- Old and GreyStuart809Dined on 6/23/2014This aging lady needs a makeover as she has not aged gracefully.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014The food was great !! The service not so... Waited to be greeted and beverage order taken. Also waited for our meals to be served.Special Features:
- Perfect up North restaurantEat9northDined on 6/15/2014Very good food and service. Staples such as Whitefish and Prime Rib. Terrific manager ( Chuck ) . Ask for Pam as server, too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS A NICE PLACE TO GOKitty60Dined on 6/6/2014It's nice to come here for a night out. The food is always good and the service as well. We love getting our "birthday" cards and getting together with friends to celebrate.Special Features:
- Amazing Food!!PastryGirlDined on 5/23/2014The chef creates outstanding food... using local, seasonal products availabe. The morel, asparagus pasta is to die for, along with the amish chicken!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 198 reviews are from the Grey Gables Inn reviews archive.
- Wonderful service and foodMidMichFoodieDined on 5/7/2014We recently celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary at the Grey Gables. My lamb shank was fall-off-the-bone fabulous paired with a shiraz/Grenache Australian wine and my wife's fish was delectable. The mushroom bisque is a revelation, redolent of a little sherry maybe? The service was even better. Jordan, our server, remembered us from a prior visit last year and sat us a premium table with a nice view of the local neighborhood. The manager also came out to reminisce with us and the complementary almond crème brulee was very tasty. We live in Central Michigan and visit the Charlevoix area a couple of times a year and the Grey Gables has been on our agenda for around 10 years. Not all that pricey, a little sedate but worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingRaims27Dined on 4/26/2014Amazing amazing food! Yummy ribs! Great service!! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Easter BrunchwranglersgirlDined on 4/20/2014The brunch was good other than difficulty cutting into the roast beef. It was on the tough side. Also, would like to have seen a couple unique dishes. The choices were tasty but boring. Almost "grandma's house" type of choices. Desert table could have been more appealing. Waitress was excellent and victorian ambience was pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Handicap problemsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014We took my mother to Grey Gables for Easter Brunch, I let them know a few times that she is in a wheel chair and would need easy access to the buffet. We were sat at the back of the restaurant which made it impossible for her to pick out her food, someone had to go get stuff for her and bring it back. Food was pretty good, although we felt the beef was tough and the ham was dried out. Jordan was our waitress and she did a nice job.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter Brunch - BEST!bdb7607Dined on 4/20/2014Excellent selection, warm delicious variety of food and outstanding service made a very memorable Easter Brunch!Special Features:
- Grey Gables Easter BrunchjfoodDined on 4/20/2014This is a really special place - looks like it was someone's home with the tables placed in the various rooms. The food is terrific! The service very congenial and staff were very attentive. Table was prepared prior to our arrival. The buffet was kept well-stocked throughout our meal. The 3 foot chocolate fountain was a hit with the ladies at our table as was the desert bar with it's variety of site prepared deserts. We have been there for Mother's Day in the past and enjoyed the meal then as well.Special Features:
- Our first visitHappyHoosierDined on 4/11/2014We made a 5:30 p.m. reservation to fit our personal schedule and accidentally discovered when we arrived at the restaurant that they offered an "early bird special for two" that was an outstanding value. We do not know how often this special is offered, but it was a fabulous value. Choice of four different entres, each of the two people can make their own choice from this list, plus a house or caesar sald for each person, plus a small hot fudge sundae for each person plus one bottle of either white or red wine. Didn't know about the special prior to arrival but it was great! Food and service were excellent and we won't hesitate to return when in the area even if there isn't another "early bird special."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014This restaurant was recommended to us, so I took my husband there for his birthday! He was super happy with his food as well as myself. We signed up for the birthday/anniversary club which is a nice bonus next year whe we get to utilize it. Aaron was our server and he was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experience.Kitty60Dined on 2/20/2014We've always had great food and service here. You can make it a casual dining experience or you can dress it up! We've come in large groups and by ourselves as a couple and have always had very attentive service. The birthday/anniversary promotion is nice too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique, charming, great foodCharlevoix6Dined on 2/8/2014Just east of downtown Charlevoix in the unique Belvedere community, Grey Gables has long been a Charlevoix landmark restaurant. We enjoyed an excellent meal with great service. Our table ordered the filet, prime rib and white fish and all were well prepared. We finished off with the ever-popular Sanders hot fudge cream puff with extra hot fudge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again did not disappointBarbPDined on 2/8/2014We live in the area, eat here a few times a year and have never been disappointed. Six of us ate here for my husband's 70th birthday. The prime rib was excellent, according to two of our party, as was the pecan crusted whitefish, one of my favorites. The 2 for 42 deal can't be beat! Does tend to be noisy, but we were still able to carry on a conversation. Jordan, our waitress, was very informative and attentive, let us take our time, and did not make us feel rushed at all.Special Features: