Gregoria's Cuban Steakhouse
2701 Hillsborough RD
Durham, NC 27705Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
Gregoria's Cuban Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://gregoriassteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 9199732717x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30-2:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Cuban, South American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Gregoria's Cuban Steakhouse
At Gregoria’s Steakhouse, we bring you the diverse flavors of Cuban food using traditional recipes made with the freshest ingredients. Whether you’re enjoying a Rum Piña and appetizers after work or celebrating with friends and family, our colorful and lively atmosphere will make you feel right at home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Gregoria's Cuban Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Gregoria's Cuban Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (41)neighborhood gem (41)fit for foodies (36)good for groups (34)special occasion (28)great for brunch (22)romantic (22)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Avocado???catwalkDined on 9/17/2014A few weeks ago, the salad that featured avocado featured GREAT avocado in a generous amount. I ordered it again on 17 SEP and had to hunt for the two little pieces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Already chosen my next mealFoodienNCDined on 9/13/2014Had a wonderful experience at Gregoria's. Everyone's meal was excellent. I had the Lechon Asado Modo, and enjoyed it thoroughly. On my next visit I am going to get the Pollo a la Parilla. If you are up for some extra calories, the spinach empanadas and the triple chocolate lava cake was excellent. Can't wait for my next visit. Also, our server Joshua really took care of us, will asked to be seated in station next time.Special Features:
- Pretty Good Food, Poor ServiceFoodiePenguinDined on 8/30/2014I have been to Gregoria's several times in its new location but this was the first time I had a complete meal. Food: Good except server didn't know/tell me that the veggies in my entree were the exact same in the side dish (vegetales asado). Some yellow and green squash slices were raw and barely grilled. Beef was flavorful and had a lot of garlic which is good as I like garlic. Chicharrones (fried pork belly chunks) appetizer is highly recommended. Menu is really pan-Latin, not Cuban. Overall 7/10 Service: Poor. Side dish arrived nearly ten minutes after entree (even though side dish ingredients were also in entree). No-one came to ask about refills for water. Hard to get attention of servers. Overall 3/10Special Features:
- Half righthondoskiDined on 8/27/2014The food was very good, from our apps to the main courses. One of my dining companion grew up in Cuba so his insights into the food, including what the names meant made this an interesting dining experience. The combination of tastes of the main courses, all 4 of us, was a nice treat and different from any other restaurant in the area. The service was horrible!!! Our waiter forgot to put in our main course order, so after apps we waited over an hour for them to arrive. The management apologized, but it will be awhile till we return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatTanyaADined on 8/24/2014Have been to Gregoria's several times for brunch, lunch and dinner have always been happy with my experience. Great service, atmosphere and food. Can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Loved the salsa music and dance instructor on the patio.Special Features:
- a taste buds dreamholidayheartDined on 8/16/2014When your meal starts with delish bread with garlic chunks and a pimento like butter spread, you know your in for a fancy ride! The calamari starter was perfectly cooked and coated; the spunky marinara sauce gave it a spicy cuban flare. The main dish of sea scallops on a bed spinach topped with pineapple-almond salsa assisted by rice and beans was out of this world. The combination of flavors had me wanting more the next day. Food portions were definitely filling. My overall experience has left a permanent mark on my taste buds. Ill be back sooner than later!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slowest service ever but great foodchapelhillthrillDined on 8/15/2014We arrived with a party of 12 and got the gorgeous back private dining room. The restaurant had maybe half the tables full but it took nearly 1.5 hrs for our entrees to arrive. By then the restaurant was empty. The birthday cake we asked the kitchen staff to bring out after entrees was not brought out and we had to ask for it 30 minutes after we had finished entrees. Even then it took another 15 minutes. All in all the food was GREAT. The kitchen was very slow (it took us 2.5 hours to eat and half the time the restaurant was empty). Our server was so kind and very professional. The service was just way too slow for such a slow night for the restaurant.Special Features:
- Festive!durhamgalDined on 8/15/2014Patio dining in gorgeous weather with attentive service, catchy Cuban music, and pleasant menu variety. My scallops were sophisticated while my companion's beef was more down-home: both most enjoyable. Mojito and sangria both excellent.Special Features:
- Bottomless?DineOnDined on 8/10/2014This is my third time here, as the dinner food I've had is great. This time we went for brunch, mainly bc they have bottomless mimosas. But, when you are waiting long periods of time between servings they feel less... bottomless. I also noticed they tended to get weaker drink-by-drink. Granted, they were pretty packed due to bogo brunch, but still! For waiting as long as we did for food (around an hour and half), I would have liked to be able to get some extra mimosas in! In the 2 hours we were there, I was able to get 4. However, they are small (and relatively weak) and we ended up waiting, on average, around 15 mins between drinks. Probably won't do brunch there again :(Special Features:
- Consistently GoodChuckDined on 8/9/2014Very friendly. Excellent food. Great specialty drinks. Elegant without being pretentious. As good as it was in former location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MixedzabsDined on 8/6/2014One entree was outstanding. The other was simply disappointing. The breaded ribeye was tough, oversalted, and just not special in any way. On the other hand, the Bisteca Asado was perfect and delicious. The empanada appetizer was also excellent. Finally the desserts were all very good. Service was very good, but our server was clearly very inexperienced and didn't really know much about the food, ingredients, etc.Special Features:
- New Cuban RestaurantLocalCubanDiningDined on 7/30/2014I was pleasantly surprised to hear that Gregoria's had opened on Hillsborough Rd. We have eaten there three times and each time the food and service were great. The restaurant is very nice, the atmosphere, food, and service is delightful. I will be going back again soon.Special Features:
- Great food, service strugglingsommerfuglDined on 7/18/2014Our first visit in new location! While they've done a great job creating a gorgeous interior and spacious, attractive patio, it doesn't have the charm of the previous location. Our food was fabulous. The mussels with chorizo were delicious. We had the charred caesar and while the dressing was tasty, there was a bit too much of it so the salad was super salty and overwhelmed by the dressing. For entree, the ropa vieja is hard to beat. Ideal portion size and elegant plating. We waited at least 10 minutes for our server to arrive for drink orders. There was an obvious struggle on the patio that evening with other tables waiting longer as well. Our server did his best to be attentive. They just seemed short staffed. Would try again!Special Features:
- They need to work on some issueshborofoodieDined on 7/18/2014This was our first trip to the newly opened Gregoria's (post fire). The food was just OK. Black beans lacked seasoning. Apork dish was tough. The yucca frita was not special at all--at the previous Gregoria's it had been excellent. The stuffed plaintains were not on the menu. The service needs work. We had to ask twice for our drinks. The appos came out relatively quickly but then we had a long wait for our entrees. There were only 5 of us. The place was not that crowded. We also had to ask twice for the blaring music to be turned down. And Cuban rap is not what I was expecting. We know cuban food and music and it didn't really feel like we were in a Cuban restaurant. We will probably give it another try but...Special Features:
- Quite goodDiscerningdinerDined on 7/11/2014The chef is a star. His seafood paella was excellent as was the avocado salad. The shredded pork was delicious. We loved the patio. It was a Friday night, and so a very good Cuban jazz band played about half the time we were there; it was still not too loud to talk easily. The rest of the time it was nice and quiet. The service was friendly and competent; the waitress answered our menu questions and made a couple of first-rate recommendations. We intend to go back soon.Special Features:
- It may need helpLifestyleFoodieDined on 7/10/2014My first time at this place. Reviews on Yelp said it was a must try. The overall flavor of the food was good. I ordered the shreds of flank steak with caramelized onions, rice and beans. I had to add salt because the food was under seasoned. It made the flavors better. The other table also requested a salt shaker. The tostones were a little softer than crunchy. It could just be my preference. The rice and black beans were okay but not extraordinary. The flank was shredded nicely and went well with the caramelized onions. The flank steak was on the chewy side and not tender. My guest and I noticed that it was very quiet inside the restaurant. When exiting the restaurant we heard lots of exciting music coming from the speakers outside.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodDineOnDined on 6/28/2014Sitting amongst a table of 6, I got to sample lots of dishes - there really wasn't a single bad one! We started with 3 apps, which were all on-point. The dinners were all delicious and full of flavor. Mojitos were heavy on the mint, but still very good. Our server was intelligent and passionate about the food, which only added to the experience! Lava cake for dessert was delicious and, topped with plantain ice cream, plenty to split. Will definitely return in the near future. One minor complaint: There were $5 app/mojito specials, and we were given the menu for it. But, upon ordering, we were told those specials were only available in the bar area. That being said, our waiter got clearance from his manager to allow us the same special.Special Features:
- Amazing!IcequeenDined on 6/26/2014Great food, excellent mojitos and astoudingly attentive service. Decor was soothingly sensual and music drove the pleasant vibe. Will definitely go again!Special Features:
- Cuban FeastLuvDurhamDined on 6/26/2014Great Mojitos. They showed a wonderful use of fresh herbs throughout the meal. The spinach and cheese empanadas were served with a sauce that made them something special. We enjoyed both the Lechón Asado (shredded pork) and Vaca Frita (braised flank steak). Perfect portion sizes and beautifully prepared. Our server was friendly, attentive and had a great sense of humor. Even the butter for the bread was unique and flavorful.Special Features:
- Never a disappointment!!!Foodie4LDined on 6/19/2014Always great food, with good customer service. Will continue my support for years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Expensive for what it was.JettXDined on 6/15/2014The food was OK. The waitress didn't tell us about specials or recommendations. Very expensive for the service and food.
- brunch Fathers DaygreekFanDined on 6/15/2014Pleasant room, 2/3s full. Plenty of staff. Agave syrup a nice tweak to maple, but french toast scorched black.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Goodemmyt8Dined on 6/15/2014We had a slip-up where our server was not on the ball at first and waited quite a while for drinks and bread. This was not a huge deal, but the restaurant did not charge us for our meal because of this. We were not expecting this but they were great! They clearly wanted us to have an awesome experience, and we did. The food was excellent as well.Special Features:
- Good foodHardscrabbleGourmetDined on 6/13/2014We had the seafood paella for 2. It was a very meal, very tasty. However, I expected a little more seafood than what we got. There were about 5 shrimp, 6 small mussels, and a few small pieces of fish and calamari. Lots of tasty rice. The bread and butter served on the side was delicious.Special Features:
- Portions blew us awaydurhamsailorjDined on 6/11/2014Not only was the food excellent (again!), but the portions were large enough for almost everyone at the table to be able to have a great lunch the next day.Special Features:
- Wonderful find!manyhappyreturnsDined on 6/5/2014I have passed by Gregoria's on Hillsborough a number of times and never stopped in until this week. The food was excellent--very well prepared, my pork chop was seared perfectly and the accompanying roasted vegetables were wonderfully spiced and grilled. I tried the plantain appetizer on advice from the server despite never having had plantain that I really liked before and she was right--not surprisingly for a Cuban restaurant, it was excellent! I was too full for dessert (the plantain serving was larger than a normal appetizer--but worth it!), unfortunately, because I am sure that it too would have been tasty. The Latino music in the background was a little loud, but fun and in good taste. Highly recommended. I'll return for sure.Special Features:
- Foodies...YES!crgefoodie1Dined on 6/5/2014Great selection- super authentic (per our South American friends who recommended it). The lighting...well could be better. The patio looked super ( will sit out there next time). Definitely the feeling of a specila occasion restaurant. The manager and food runners seemed to be very busy. Our server however, did not. OK, service, but cleaning a table next to us while we had all been waiting for our checks ( restaurant emptying out, etc.) for ~ 10 minutes. Not bad, just not the professionalism that seemed to be all around him- we had to ask to have waters filled; beers glasses were empty, etc...Will go back anyway!Special Features:
- Wonderful placeTasteofEgyptDined on 6/4/2014My husband and I came here before they moved to their current larger location. We loved their house feel the first time we went to them. We thought we would support them again now that they got a bigger place. The restaurant now looks gorgeous inside out. The feel inside is still like home. The people are super nice, the service was a little slow and the waiter never wrote anything down (but they didn't mess anything up in our order!). We were a little disappointed by the food. It seems they changed up some of the recipes from the first time we ate here and that sucked a little bit. It almost moved away from that super authentic Cuban taste. Still wonderful place!Special Features:
- Yummy as alwaysDrhmgirl86Dined on 6/3/2014First time back to Gregoria's since they moved from their old location. I have always enjoyed the food and service and it is still wonderful. I feel the new location has lost some of the Cuban feel, but overall I would come back to this establishment for wonderful Cuban food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FriendlysusanDined on 6/3/2014I really enjoy the staff at Gregoria's. I had a pleasant meal and our server was able to handle our group's wide variety of eating styles. I enjoyed the food, the menu contains many standards. But I was not knocked over by anything. I will return with friends, but not with people I want to impress foodie wise.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable eveningcatanddogDined on 5/31/2014We dined outside on the spacious and lovely patio. The staff was attentive and friendly but not pushy time wise. The food was interesting and very tasty. We especially enjoyed the stuffed plantain appetizer and the Mojito. The entrees were full of flavor, good portion sizes (not too small and not too much, though there were two doggie bags taken home) and presented beautifully. We spent as much time as we wanted just sitting and enjoying the food, the space, and the great weather. Really nice place to relax with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMargoDined on 5/31/2014Everything was excellent. The food, service, and atmosphere. We will be going back, and will recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellen Upscale Cuban cuisineFamilyDined on 5/30/2014This was our first time at this Cuban restaurant. Its different from the others Cuban cuisine in the area. This is an upscale restaurant. The food was very good and the service was excellent! I strongly recommend this restaurant if you want to enjoy a well prepared/presented Cuban cuisine. The prices are a little too high but is worthy.Special Features:
- Looks Great Tastes FakeHavanaguaguaDined on 5/29/2014Beautiful restaurant! But like other Cuban restaurants in the area, the food tastes and looks more like food from a Mexican restaurant.
- HushDined on 5/24/2014Service was excellent, food good. I had a prime rib which was good but unevenly cooked and of very good but not great quality. Other dishes were good. I would return but need to experience more intense flavors and better cooking.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 71 reviews are from the Gregoria's Cuban Steakhouse reviews archive.
- you must go to gregorio'sgeorgepp1Dined on 5/22/2014Gregorios is one of the best new restaurants around. we enjoyed everything about it. The food was fantastic... the traditional Cuban fair was delicious. chef Mick prepared very interesting and delicious appetizers and every one of the four meals at our table was the best Cuban food we've had in a long time. Congratulations to Fares Hanna and the entire staff. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great, different!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Wonderful Cuban food and great drinks! Great if you're looking for a nicer place but don't want the same old American or continental steakhouse. Also good if you want Hispanic food but want a more upscale option. All of the dishes we ordered were devoured! A bit of a snafu with the kitchen regarding the timing of our appetizers/entrees, but that was quickly remedied. Very friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Excellent ServiceOccasionalDinerDined on 5/16/2014The food here was delicious. The service was excellent, We never felt unattended. I'd come again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy that it has reopenedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/16/2014Love the new location with it's expansive outdoor seating. The live music made me feel like I was in another country. The service was excellent. And the food was fabulous. I recommend the mojitos and the spinach and cheese empanadas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.