Gregoria's Cuban Steakhouse
2701 Hillsborough RD
Durham, NC 27705Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
Gregoria's Cuban Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://gregoriassteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (919) 973-2717
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30-2:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Cuban, South American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Gregoria's Cuban Steakhouse
At Gregoria’s Steakhouse, we bring you the diverse flavors of Cuban food using traditional recipes made with the freshest ingredients. Whether you’re enjoying a Rum Piña and appetizers after work or celebrating with friends and family, our colorful and lively atmosphere will make you feel right at home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Gregoria's Cuban Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Gregoria's Cuban Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)neighborhood gem (44)good for groups (41)great for outdoor dining (37)special occasion (31)great for brunch (23)romantic (18)kid-friendly (12)great for lunch (10)notable wine list (8)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great foodCappittsboroDined on 11/22/2014Go for the food and the service, plan on leaving appreciative but lighter in the wallet than you might expect. No alcohol but nearly hit triple digits for the two of us. But the bread is also amazing and costs nothing so...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Cuban food and funGregoriasDined on 11/21/2014The food is inspired and delicious! The service is welcoming, attentive, timely and friendly. Love to go on Friday night when they have live music. My whole family loves this place, so glad they are close to home. The outside patio is so much fun in nice weather. Like being on an island in Durham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great potential; disappointing experienceQCuriousDined on 11/16/2014Early dining on a Sunday evening. At most 4-5 tables. Seated immediately by very jolly host, but it took 10 min for our server to take our drinks order, another 10 to take our appetizer order (we did get a basket of bread), another 15 min for drinks to arrive, and 45 min for our food. Appetizers were good as were drinks. Two of us ordered the ribeye with caramelized onions and Chinese long beans. We were served wilted/sauteed spinach hidden under the flattened ribeye, two slab slices of yellow squash, and one slab slice of zucchini. Onions and beans were nowhere to be found. Our server never mentioned substitutes and never apologized when she delivered the food. We ordered 30 min into the Sunday evening open hours, and they were out of filet mignon. Our server did mention that. Our dining companions reported their chicken and skirt steak entrees were quite good, and it did appear they arrived as ordered. Our server seemed to confuse effort with results. Music was too loud for the number of diners (not) in the room. We would go back. Once. Just to see if we hit a bad night.
- Elegantly comfortingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Conscientious, friendly yet efficient staff. Nice decor, lots of space between tables. Menu was varied and interesting. Prices were surprisingly moderate for the quality. I had Vaca Frita, the slow-cooked beef that eventually falls apart into shreds. A lot like Ropa Viejo but with a different seasoning. No fat whatsoever in this dish. Served with black beans (not soupy!), rice, piece of fried yucca and a piece of plantain. Dining companion had Fideos, shelffish with vermicelli in a light, seafoody broth, no tomatoes or heavy ingredients. It was fresh-tasting, simple, and once again, absolutely free of fat or grease. On that way out, saw a signboard for Thanksgiving Lunch Buffet. Going to find out what that will involve!Special Features:
- Wonderful Durham Community Partner!KQUTVIPDined on 11/1/2014Gregoria's was generous to host a Duke Medicine Orchestra community dine-out event and everyone had a wonderful time. Everyone commented on the quality and care with the food and the salsa music duo was also a plus! So nice to have you back in your new beautiful establishment and so willing to help out the Durham Community!Special Features:
- ebwb2Dined on 10/26/2014This was my first experience at Gregoria's. My friend and I very much enjoyed brunch Sunday, October 26. We are planning to dine again very soon. The service was excellent, the atmosphere was great, and first and foremost, the food was above the top, definitely a 5 star....Special Features:
- Gregorio'sGreenieDined on 10/24/2014Had the tasting menu which was very good. Five courses soup, salad, fish, meat and dessert. All were tasty. Also the drink special, a coconut mojito, was a big hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedMNMomDined on 10/24/2014We researched "best Durham restaurants" and came upon a review for Gregoria's. The wine selection was good (we wouldn't call ourselves connoisseurs, but appreciate decent wine). The food was outstanding! Calamari was lightly (corn, possibly corn/flour mix) breaded and the dipping sauce was a thinned marinara/hot sauce blend. My son ordered the chorizo beef hamburger (excellent) and my husband ordered the seafood paella (excellent) which is what I will order when we return. My mahi mahi on chick pea soup was really good, but I preferred the flavors of the paella. The flan and empanadas were also delicious for dessert. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodluvtoeatDined on 10/24/2014The food was very good and the atmosphere was pleasant. The empanadas and cubano sandwich I had rocked!The music in the outside area was also very nice. We were seated in the bar area and I noticed many of the waiters just standing around chatting at the bar for a while. I thought it was a little unprofessional and distracting. I have also read other reviews where people have noticed the waiters standing around. Our waiter was not one of those people and he was very attentive to us. I would definitely eat there again and have other friends who also like the restaurant. Keep up the good work and try to get the waiters to at least act like they're busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kevinDined on 10/24/2014Food was very well prepared. Service was friendly, helpful, and attentive.Special Features:
- Interesting flavor combinations!JaneDined on 10/17/2014We have dined at Gregoria's several times. Delicious Cuban food and really good service. Truly a hidden gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eat steak elsewheredynealotDined on 10/16/2014server very unprofessional. Did not answer questions well-kept running back to kitchen for information. Gave bad advice about steak entree which was requested medium rare, delivered it medium well. Entree sent back and another one ordered. We then were charged for the new entree and for the one not eaten. They tried to pretend that it was an honest mistake. Chimichurri sauce not good, etc. Took very long time for check to be corrected and even longer for credit card to be rung up. Would not recommend this place to anyone.
- PerfectionSunster61Dined on 10/14/2014One of the best restaurant experiences I have ever had. I cannot fathom how these flavors are achieved. Our party of 3 each ordered the 5 course "chefs choice" but requested the entrees be different. So in the end we got to try 6 phenomenal entree dishes plus amazing camarones soup, and black kale salad. All perfectly timed and beautifully presented. Every dish was wonderful and I'll be dreaming of that soup for some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time VisitorJeanVIPDined on 10/12/2014A group of four from Pinehurst enjoyed brunch before DPAC. The offerings were excellent: Green Eggs and Lamb, Gregorio's own take on Benedict, omelet and yuca and chorizo hash were all beautifully presented and tasted as good as they looked. Blueberry muffins are a fun offering to start. It was a rainy day, so we were inside, but would love to visit again and sit outside on the patio. We'll visit here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening at Gregoria'sNOLAvisitorVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had not been to Gregoria's since the fire closed down their old location, and were really happy with our experience there. It is beautifully decorated inside, not a trace of the old defunct predecessor restaurants which you walk in the door. Jesus took good care of our table and the food was excellent...wonderful bread, and the sliders with fried plantains we shared for appetizers were very nice. We loved both the scallops and the citrus-garlic rubbed steak we ordered. Our friends were equally pleased with their choices, especially the grilled Caesar with steak on top. We shared tres leches and molten chocolate desserts and all went home happy, feeling that the price was reasonable for a nice night out.Special Features:
- Thumbs down to Blackstrap RumKarinVIPDined on 10/11/2014Three of us ordered the Black Strap Rum drink not thinking about the taste of black strap molasses but even extra sugar could not conceal the bitter, peculiar taste of this drink. Our server kindly brought a mojito which is a safe, but uninspired choice. This restaurant used to serve a Hemingway which was the best drink ever (cool rum of some sort, pineapple juice, etc. etc.) and one of the main reasons we went there so often at the old location. Bring it back! My shrimp dish was very good, the salad was better than I remembered from the past, and the server was nice, though he forget bread. The plantains on my husband's steak dish were dried out and tasteless.I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014Love this place. Especially the live music on the patio. Great food, great staff and great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Very poor serviceFoodforthemindDined on 10/3/2014Service was poor. Waiters kept forgetting things we had requested. For instance, a fork or salsa would not appear in a reasonable time frame when asked for. Instead of water, a sweet ginger ale was mistakenly provided. One of the waiters dropped my credit card as she was fanning herself with the card folder- she did not even notice this and went looking for the card on the floor. I witnessed all of this. Will not return.Special Features:
- Our 54th Wedding anniversaryCurleehillDined on 10/1/2014We were looking for a quiet, relaxing, good food and service. It met all our requirements. My husband spent quite a few years in Central America many years ago and he enjoyed the food and atmosphere. I also like Cuban food. We had a lovely dinner and will return to this charming restaurant soon.Special Features:
- Fantastic Entrees, Skip Starters!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/28/2014This was the second time we've been here and we agreed that both times that service was ok (friendly when actually there just.... Not there often), starters were downright bad (Caesar dressing was overly anchovy and grilled romaine was very overdone- limp and hot when arrived; plaintain/pork belly relleno was the texture of ground beef, not awesome belly goodness) BUT entrees are fantastic! Sea scallops and chicken with coconut-citrus glaze especially. Flavorful, complex, perfectly seasoned. Bf loved the ropa vieja as well. And if they don't provide it, ask for the bread, the infused butter is amazing. We will definitely be back, but will skip apps/salads/smallish glass pours and just dive into their incredible entrees!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunch with friendsFoodLVRDined on 9/28/2014Have heard about how good this place is for a while now, but this was my first visit. A great place for brunch. Service and food were wonderful. Now I'm looking forward to a dinner visit with my hubby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FindCarrotEaterNCDined on 9/28/2014This was my second visit to Gregoria's, the first being for dinner and we ate inside. This time Sunday brunch on the patio. On both occasions the food, wait staff and ambiance were top notch. Nice menu and excellent presentation. We are lucky to live within walking distance of it - A great neighborhood addition! May it live long and prosper so that we can keep going back.Special Features:
- A Great find.ReginaDined on 9/23/2014An elegant ambiance with a sophisticated feel and good food at very reasonable prices. Excellent setting; excellent food; excellent service. Great addition to this neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit to new locationDukeguyDined on 9/19/2014This was our second time to eat at Gregoria's, but the first after moving to their new location on Hillsborough Rd. The food was excellent, as before. Our waiter was a young man who did the best sales job I've ever heard as he promoted the chef's fish special for the night, and he served us well throughout the evening. Overall, it was a great dining experience. The only downside is the location. Inside the facility was clean and well taken care of. However the building seemed seedy looking on the outside. But don't let that stop you! Gregoria's is a great place to eat and we will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avocado???catwalkDined on 9/17/2014A few weeks ago, the salad that featured avocado featured GREAT avocado in a generous amount. I ordered it again on 17 SEP and had to hunt for the two little pieces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Already chosen my next mealFoodienNCDined on 9/13/2014Had a wonderful experience at Gregoria's. Everyone's meal was excellent. I had the Lechon Asado Modo, and enjoyed it thoroughly. On my next visit I am going to get the Pollo a la Parilla. If you are up for some extra calories, the spinach empanadas and the triple chocolate lava cake was excellent. Can't wait for my next visit. Also, our server Joshua really took care of us, will asked to be seated in station next time.Special Features:
- Pretty Good Food, Poor ServiceFoodiePenguinDined on 8/30/2014I have been to Gregoria's several times in its new location but this was the first time I had a complete meal. Food: Good except server didn't know/tell me that the veggies in my entree were the exact same in the side dish (vegetales asado). Some yellow and green squash slices were raw and barely grilled. Beef was flavorful and had a lot of garlic which is good as I like garlic. Chicharrones (fried pork belly chunks) appetizer is highly recommended. Menu is really pan-Latin, not Cuban. Overall 7/10 Service: Poor. Side dish arrived nearly ten minutes after entree (even though side dish ingredients were also in entree). No-one came to ask about refills for water. Hard to get attention of servers. Overall 3/10Special Features:
- Half righthondoskiDined on 8/27/2014The food was very good, from our apps to the main courses. One of my dining companion grew up in Cuba so his insights into the food, including what the names meant made this an interesting dining experience. The combination of tastes of the main courses, all 4 of us, was a nice treat and different from any other restaurant in the area. The service was horrible!!! Our waiter forgot to put in our main course order, so after apps we waited over an hour for them to arrive. The management apologized, but it will be awhile till we return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatTanyaADined on 8/24/2014Have been to Gregoria's several times for brunch, lunch and dinner have always been happy with my experience. Great service, atmosphere and food. Can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Loved the salsa music and dance instructor on the patio.Special Features:
- a taste buds dreamholidayheartDined on 8/16/2014When your meal starts with delish bread with garlic chunks and a pimento like butter spread, you know your in for a fancy ride! The calamari starter was perfectly cooked and coated; the spunky marinara sauce gave it a spicy cuban flare. The main dish of sea scallops on a bed spinach topped with pineapple-almond salsa assisted by rice and beans was out of this world. The combination of flavors had me wanting more the next day. Food portions were definitely filling. My overall experience has left a permanent mark on my taste buds. Ill be back sooner than later!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slowest service ever but great foodchapelhillthrillDined on 8/15/2014We arrived with a party of 12 and got the gorgeous back private dining room. The restaurant had maybe half the tables full but it took nearly 1.5 hrs for our entrees to arrive. By then the restaurant was empty. The birthday cake we asked the kitchen staff to bring out after entrees was not brought out and we had to ask for it 30 minutes after we had finished entrees. Even then it took another 15 minutes. All in all the food was GREAT. The kitchen was very slow (it took us 2.5 hours to eat and half the time the restaurant was empty). Our server was so kind and very professional. The service was just way too slow for such a slow night for the restaurant.Special Features:
- Festive!durhamgalDined on 8/15/2014Patio dining in gorgeous weather with attentive service, catchy Cuban music, and pleasant menu variety. My scallops were sophisticated while my companion's beef was more down-home: both most enjoyable. Mojito and sangria both excellent.Special Features:
- Bottomless?DineOnDined on 8/10/2014This is my third time here, as the dinner food I've had is great. This time we went for brunch, mainly bc they have bottomless mimosas. But, when you are waiting long periods of time between servings they feel less... bottomless. I also noticed they tended to get weaker drink-by-drink. Granted, they were pretty packed due to bogo brunch, but still! For waiting as long as we did for food (around an hour and half), I would have liked to be able to get some extra mimosas in! In the 2 hours we were there, I was able to get 4. However, they are small (and relatively weak) and we ended up waiting, on average, around 15 mins between drinks. Probably won't do brunch there again :(Special Features:
- Consistently GoodChuckDined on 8/9/2014Very friendly. Excellent food. Great specialty drinks. Elegant without being pretentious. As good as it was in former location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MixedzabsDined on 8/6/2014One entree was outstanding. The other was simply disappointing. The breaded ribeye was tough, oversalted, and just not special in any way. On the other hand, the Bisteca Asado was perfect and delicious. The empanada appetizer was also excellent. Finally the desserts were all very good. Service was very good, but our server was clearly very inexperienced and didn't really know much about the food, ingredients, etc.Special Features:
- New Cuban RestaurantLocalCubanDiningDined on 7/30/2014I was pleasantly surprised to hear that Gregoria's had opened on Hillsborough Rd. We have eaten there three times and each time the food and service were great. The restaurant is very nice, the atmosphere, food, and service is delightful. I will be going back again soon.Special Features:
- The following 94 reviews are from the Gregoria's Cuban Steakhouse reviews archive.
- Great food, service strugglingsommerfuglDined on 7/18/2014Our first visit in new location! While they've done a great job creating a gorgeous interior and spacious, attractive patio, it doesn't have the charm of the previous location. Our food was fabulous. The mussels with chorizo were delicious. We had the charred caesar and while the dressing was tasty, there was a bit too much of it so the salad was super salty and overwhelmed by the dressing. For entree, the ropa vieja is hard to beat. Ideal portion size and elegant plating. We waited at least 10 minutes for our server to arrive for drink orders. There was an obvious struggle on the patio that evening with other tables waiting longer as well. Our server did his best to be attentive. They just seemed short staffed. Would try again!Special Features:
- They need to work on some issueshborofoodieDined on 7/18/2014This was our first trip to the newly opened Gregoria's (post fire). The food was just OK. Black beans lacked seasoning. Apork dish was tough. The yucca frita was not special at all--at the previous Gregoria's it had been excellent. The stuffed plaintains were not on the menu. The service needs work. We had to ask twice for our drinks. The appos came out relatively quickly but then we had a long wait for our entrees. There were only 5 of us. The place was not that crowded. We also had to ask twice for the blaring music to be turned down. And Cuban rap is not what I was expecting. We know cuban food and music and it didn't really feel like we were in a Cuban restaurant. We will probably give it another try but...Special Features:
- Quite goodDiscerningdinerDined on 7/11/2014The chef is a star. His seafood paella was excellent as was the avocado salad. The shredded pork was delicious. We loved the patio. It was a Friday night, and so a very good Cuban jazz band played about half the time we were there; it was still not too loud to talk easily. The rest of the time it was nice and quiet. The service was friendly and competent; the waitress answered our menu questions and made a couple of first-rate recommendations. We intend to go back soon.Special Features: