5 West 21st
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://greensquaretavern.com/
- Phone: 2129292468x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Marsh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live music on weekends
A word from Greensquare Tavern
Under the sure hand of Chef John Marsh, Greensquare Tavern is a new "farm to table" restaurant in the heart of the vibrant Flatiron District of Manhattan. The robust, affordably priced American fare is prepared from the finest seasonal, locally sustainable ingredients that come directly from local farmers and day boat fisherman. Served in a relaxed setting of casual elegance, including a skylight-lit dining room with working fireplace, diners are surrounded by revolving art exhibitions that channel the creative energy of the neighborhood. Prix fixe menus, specials and catering is offered, plus an extended Happy Hour. Wine tastings, live music and workshops are on the calendar, too, so follow us on Facebook and www.greensquaretavern.com for upcoming events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Greensquare Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (5)fit for foodies (3)neighborhood gem (3)good for groups (2)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- IT WAS CLOSED !!!!Jude8VIPDined on 7/19/2014I booked a table on open table but arrived to find that they were CLOSED for renovations. It would have been nice to have known that ahead of time.Special Features:
- Farm to Table?dasindonnaDined on 6/15/2014Choose this restaurant for Father's Day brunch after reading very good reviews. They must have been written by friends of the restaurant. While waiting for one of our party, we asked for a fruit plate. No problem - until it arrived. Blueberries 12, Raspberries 4 and 1 Strawberry. Ordered iced coffee which tasted like flavored water. It was returned. We ordered: Cobb salad - tasted as if it had been sitting for hours Kale Salad - kale looked as if it had been a week old Buttermilk pancakes - needed more cooking 2 eggs over easy with sausage patties - patties were links and how can you screw up eggs so they were ok. Had to ask for bread with the eggs which they brought. Seems they didn't have butter because that didn't arrive.
- Great Lunch OptionflatironeaterVIPDined on 6/11/2014I work close to Greensquare and constantly find myself here for lunch. They offer great sandwich and salad options that are upscale and excellent service, which can get you in and out in under an hour. I highly recommend it if you're in the area looking for a casual place.Special Features:
- The following 324 reviews are from the Greensquare Tavern reviews archive.
- Great food and hefty portionsMarieVIPDined on 5/30/2014Love the farm to table philosophy. Food was tasty with large portions. Lunch menu is not the same as the one on their website, which was fine by me because I liked the menu in the restaurant better. I had the Granny Brie sandwich with slices of brie cheese and granny smith apples with honey on crusty french bread - delish! It's so nice to know your food is fresh and locally sourced.
- Great specials Terrible serviceMegMPressVIPDined on 5/28/2014We went on a Weds night to try their gluten free fried chicken special. 3 of the 4 of us had that and loved it. My dad had a burger that arrived 5 min before the other entrees but was still cold YET overcooked. The waitstaff was very disorganized. We had two servers, yet both seemed to be acting as a secondary and neither were taking full charge of our table. Once we sat it took over 45 min to receive entrees. At the end the manager came up - after our bill was paid - to express concern cause the chef noted the burger was returned uneaten. It was a nice gesture, & they offered to pay for that entree - but as the bill was paid it was too little too late. They said they'd take care of us next time, but not sure how they ID us in the future...Special Features:
- AnonymousVIPDined on 5/21/2014The music in the background was way too noisy to enjoy conversation with friends. The server seems to have little experience and she kept putting a cork back on our bottle of red wine. Food is "ok" but considering the ambiance and quality of the service it seems overpriced.
- disspointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014A stark contrast to what one can see and expact visiting the restaurant web site. The place was nearly empty, and despite that, the waiter took us to a table at the very back of the room, away from any live and views of the street and bar, where some artificial flours were decorating the room, tiles covering walls shabby and bleak. A few tables taken only; entering the restaurant one got the impression as if half alive only - contrary to other places in the neighbourhood, full of people enjoying themselves on a Saturday evening. The food was tasty but there was not much of it, scarce veg on the plate. It felt a rather sad experience in the middle of Manhattan on a Saturday evening...Special Features:
- imstilleatingDined on 5/14/2014The food and wine were delicious and graciously served, including accommodations for dietary restrictions. But it was really noisy (at night)! Hard to hear others in your party. Other than that, a nice spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Order a Salad!danakinsVIPDined on 5/12/2014Went to greensquare tavern for lunch this week with my mother-in-law and we were extremely disappointed with the salads we ordered. For $15, we expected salads that would be large enough for a meal, but my mother-in-law's was barely a few leaves of kale, with a paltry amount of diced butternut and onions on top. Would not order it again. The sandwiches on other peoples' tables looked fabulous, I wish we ordered one!
- Great Find!KleeVIPDined on 5/10/2014We were catching a show at the metropolitan room around the corner and this tavern was recommended. So glad we did it~ Chef was willing to add a piece of grilled salmon (usually a lunchtime item) on one of their wonderful salads. Fresh ingredients throughout and would return to this establishment if in the neighborhood -- service and staff very friendly and accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great lunch meeting placeNYCDinerDined on 5/9/2014Quick, responsive service for lunch with a very fresh/healthy menu. Wait person made sure I understood how what I ordered (greek salad) was typically served (without greens) and asked if I wanted to modify (they added greens at my request). That is what I call anticipating needs! I was very pleasantly pleased!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SadBergeauxVIPDined on 5/8/2014Really want to like this place. Live in neighborhood and foodnis really good, but both service and ambiance leave way too much to be desired. Wait staff while nice are incompetent. Third and last go appetizers arrives before drink order, which was incorrect and eventually threw in the towel after waiting over an hour for dinner, at which point they said "oh we're plating it right now". Hope another table orders the same thing an hour after us...
- Cozy neighborhood gemEMcG5Dined on 5/5/2014I have dined twice at this restaurant: once with colleagues for lunch and once with my husband for dinner. I found the lunch menu more interesting than the dinner menu. Regardless, the food was awesome both times (the BLT sandwich, macaroni & cheese, and quinoa salad were all delicious; the chocolate cake and apple pie were heavenly). The wait staff was attentive and friendly. It's a cute, small space -- definitely worth trying out -- you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little slowMoochieDined on 4/28/2014We had a 7:30 reservation before a 9:30 show. The waitstaff was very friendly but they brought appetizers meant for another table before finally bringing the correct ones to us. Our main courses took so long to arrive that we thought we'd be late for the show. However, the staff was apologetic and the food was delicious. Unfortunately, we didn't have time for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like the reviews..amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014I booked this for my group of girlfriends after repeated rating lists online said this is one of the best in the city for healthy, farm-to-table, organic food. My group consisted of vegetarians and meat eaters alike, and no one was disappointed. The food was phenomenal...the 4 dips appetizer was so amazing we couldn't get enough, each of our meals were exceptional...we had a really amazing time and will keep sending people to greensquare tavern for the same reasons I read about before I experienced its' magic myself. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raw chickenFoodieDined on 4/16/2014I ordered the honey glazed chicken, and it arrived raw. The waiter came over and took the plate back, and I ordered the braised short ribs in a lettuce cup, which was good. My dinner companion also ordered the chicken and it was raw as well. The sides were butternut squash (good, but in a LOT of butter) and stuffing (which was OK). While the staff was very responsive, I will not return to a place that serves raw chicken.
- Best blt!LunchloverVIPDined on 3/25/2014Food was crazy good here . Very fresh, simply prepared French fries are generous size not greasy I was eating fresh food not food dropped on grease and mayo In love !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was my second time diningFoodie4lifeDined on 3/23/2014This was my second time dining here (for brunch) everything was wonderful although the waiter must have been new or not known how to operate the register because he charged a few people in my party the incorrect amounts. The issue was their receipts still said what they should have paid and they wouldn't have known had one of them not checked her bank account. My one friend got charged $192 instead of $40 and he check/receipt said $40. Of course at that point you have to wait and dispute it with your bank which is a hassle. They did give us mimosas on the house to make up for it. The food here is wonderful, had no issues with the bill the first time I went!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/22/2014The food was excellent. Large portions not expensive. Disappointed in the drinks. The gentleman who bused our table was very friendly and funny. The waitress should have been more knowledgeable about the bar items. She was very friendly and nice.Special Features:
- Comfortable atmosphereMikeDined on 3/21/2014Small menu, but it still covers all the bases. Healthy and enjoyable with a great staff. Attentive enough to address your needs but relaxed to let you enjoy your meal and conversationSpecial Features:
- pleasant experienceBruncherDined on 3/9/2014The host accommodated us when I asked to have our 5-top moved to a less trafficked part of the room.Special Features:
- been here several times. thisOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/4/2014been here several times. this was least satisfying. all the other times was really very good. My friend had pork which was very 'chewy'. i had a beet salad that wasn't great. parpadelle with duck was good. then i guess they wanted us to leave because they turned up the lights in the back room and we could hear many other dinners in the front. it wasn't even 10 PM. so then we went to the bar and it was last call. so that was somewhat disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- always deliciousnoonisVIPDined on 3/4/2014the food is always terrific, though it was a little disappointing that the grilled octopus (which was on the menu) wasn't available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very delicious food. FreshOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/1/2014Very delicious food. Fresh and healthy. Would like to see a better decor. Overall good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, delicious, unpretentious...Jude8VIPDined on 2/20/2014This is a go to place for a perfect lunch. Salads are fantastic, especially the Greek Salad. Love the BLT, burgers, organic chicken and amazing key lime pie. The prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is comfy. They've figured it out and I'm a regular….Special Features:
- First smell when you walk in =GabeMcDined on 2/20/2014BACON! So that definitely sets the tone for a good solid locally-sourced, and well-prepared lunch. Cobb salad is excellent, lightly dressed. DIning partner was very pleased with the broccoli soup as well. Menu is very simple, which means the ingredients are top-notch. Definintely a good spot for a quick lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect execution but...DocWattsDined on 2/19/2014I took my Girlfriend to this restaurant after a nice night out at a cabaret. We got there late and the place was not packed. The food was perfectly prepared but had little to no flavor. Even after using copious amounts of salt the flavor of my Fried chicken never shown through. Which was very disheartening because the chicken was so crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside the flavor seemed to have disappeared during the perfection of the cook.
- foreignerslynnrDined on 2/19/2014Had friends from HK who truly enjoyed the ambiance and food. they just felt comfortable and welcomeSpecial Features:
- A great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/19/2014Googling places for lunch in the city is always a challenge. Coming in from Ct. and not really knowing the area, we were thrilled with Greensquare Tavern! We arrived almost an hour earlier than our reservation, and it was not a problem . We were given a great table immediately. Our waitress was sweet and knowledgeable about the menu. Our food came quickly and all four of enjoyed our meal thoroughly! I cannot say enough about GT. And the ambience was just what we wanted in a New York establishment . Thank goodness for Google!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just What I NeededLGGGDined on 2/18/2014They had me at the Boston Lettuce and Beet salad. Every thing the people in our party ordered us was delicious. Everyone in our party only eats humanely raised meats. We all enjoyed being able to order meat dishes in a restaurant. This was a treat as most restaurants have no idea where their meat comes from, or how it was raised. Not so at the Greensquare Tavern. Between us we had the chicken, duck and pork and they were all wonderfully prepared, and very tasty. We didn't get dessert because we were all completely satiated from the very satisfying meal. Oh, and did I mention that is was very reasonably priced?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, farm to table.BrenDined on 2/1/2014Great food, farm to table. Everything is delicious.Special Features:
- Local and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/29/2014Great little neighborhood spot for lunch, dinner, drink. We go often for client lunches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not fancy, but oh-so-good!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/28/2014Not fancy, but oh-so-good! The food and wine were fabulous and knowing that it is organic, farm-to-table made it all the more sweet. We enjoyed every bite and the Malbec that we drank with our meal was not only perfectly matched, it was very reasonably priced. Definitely a keeper to be returned to often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork chop.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2014Typically I don't like pork chops. Mom made us eat them and hence I don't like them. That said I had to try it here, they are know for their port chops and when in Rome ... It was excellent, I would confidently recommend it, the chick and steak were also good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Green square never dissapoints WeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/23/2014Green square never dissapoints We shared the short rib special because we had eaten too many starters. All fabulous,Special Features:
- Consistent great food withAddieJaksDined on 1/22/2014Consistent great food with appropriate and knowledgable service. Table are spaced apart for allowing good conversations without having to hear other parties next to you. Would love to have wood fireplace on during cold winter nights!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favoriteboldergirl10VIPDined on 1/13/2014Discovered greensquare tavern 6 months ago and it has become our go to for lunch. Fresh ingredients, best veggie burger and lots of options for vegetarians and others who love fresh food. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!JMBKDined on 1/11/2014I have been to Greensquare Tavern a number of times for both dinner and brunch and it's one of my favorite places in Manhattan. The food is exceptional, sourced from very high quality suppliers and farms and the service is great. It's always a fantastic meal in a lovely space. The back room is perfect for larger or private parties, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinnerfoodieduckDined on 1/10/2014The unsweetened ice tea was the best I ever tasted. The miso pork belly starter was a little too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly Neighborhood TavernPanda206VIPDined on 1/9/2014Warm, welcoming, restaurant with a menu that is different (and better) than the normal farm-to-table menu, with plenty of meat, fish and veggie options. Friendly staff. Really tasty dishes of generous size. I had a hard time choosing what to eat so let the waiter suggest and it was delicious! Highly recommended for neighborhood spot, and also well worth a trip.Special Features: