Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC
1200 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jeffersondc.com/restaurant-dining/index.cfm
- Phone: (202) 448-2300
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7am to 10am;
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11am to 2pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 7am to 1:30pm.
Afternoon tea: Available reservations on Saturday and Sunday between 2pm and 2:30pm.
Walk-ins are not accepted for full tea service. Reservations made for a same day seating must be placed before noon. Walk-ins will be offered tea and daily Chef’s pastry assortment. Please indicate any dietary restriction at the time of reservation.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, High Tea, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Private Cellar, inspired by Jefferson’s passion for wine, will be the hotel’s private dining room, and its walls will be lined with wine display cabinets and private wine lockers. Beneath a soaring, plaster groin-vaulted ceiling, guests will have the opportunity to sample the culinary talents of our culinary team complemented by wines from the hotel’s impressive selection of more than 1,000 labels. A dumbwaiter, fashioned after Jefferson’s own at Monticello, will deliver vintages from the cellar to the table. At 297 square feet, the Private Cellar will accommodate 18.
- Private Party Contact: Meagan Stroud 2024483253x
- Special Events: Afternoon Tea takes place in the Greenhouse. Advanced reservations are required. Credit card is required to guarantee all reservations. Reservations cancelled within 24 hours will be charged $39 per person cancellation fee.
A word from Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC
Washington power breakfasts and express lunches are served under The Jefferson’s historic skylight. Natural light streams in from above, creating an informal, airy setting for daytime meals that perfectly complements the light, fresh and energizing fare on our menus.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (16)great for lunch (13)romantic (10)great for brunch (9)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (3)neighborhood gem (3)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Beautiful and worth the upgradeDCgirlVIPDined on 3/16/2014Had Sunday brunch and was amazed. The prices are only a little more than a normal DC brunch spot (I believe the waffles were $14 and the lobster Benedict was $26) but the atmosphere was wonderful-old charm mixed with modern touches. Food was great. And they gave my purse a perch to sit next to me. Staff was attentive and didn't rush us. I would say this should be a top DC brunch spot. I'm almost sorry to share the news. Shhh... Don't tell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but pricey for the food.ScoJarVIPDined on 3/9/2014I though the food was good, not great. The food was definitely not worth what we were charged.Special Features:
- Truly worth a special trip downtownFoodiemominmdDined on 3/6/2014Greenhouse at The Jefferson never disappoints. I had another thoroughly enjoyable lunch there, warmed by the fire, enjoying great food, a lovely glass of wine, and excellent service. What I love best is the ambiance, so calming and welcoming. One could spend hours there and never feel rushed or overwhelmed by noise. It's truly an oasis. I can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchuthorjeVIPDined on 2/28/2014The staff/service was wonderful--attentive but not overbearing--the food was tasty, and the decor and ambiance are lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great quiet lunch spotNew2dcVIPDined on 2/25/2014This is a great place for a quiet lunch with a friend or a colleague. You can have a conversation without shouting. The staff are very attentive and the food is wonderful. On a snowy day there was a fire burning in the fireplace and a warm welcoming atmosphere. A lovely lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at the JeffersonJN01Dined on 2/16/2014A great, but pricey, brunch. worth it for special occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday teaKeriDined on 2/15/2014High tea is something I have always aspired to enjoy. After our original visit to the Greenhouse at Jefferson, I commented how nice high tea would be in that setting. Fortunately, I have kind and generous friends to accommodate my wishes! the staff at the Greenhouse is ever friendly, completely helpful without being condescending and is helpful and attentive to my young daughter. It was quite an enjoyable experience--classy without being intimidating.Special Features:
- Great ambiance and good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2014Great ambiance and good service. My selectiong was good and people with whom I ate seemed to have enjoyed their selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful BrunchCaroGuilleEatVIPDined on 2/9/2014This place was gorgeous and the good matched! Very delicious lobster eggs Benedict and salmon tartare. A little pricey but well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - great ambienceNicematindinerVIPDined on 2/5/2014Great food - great ambience and great service - lunch menu is amazing and I hope to continue to come for special occasions. (Restrooms are beautiful as befitting this special hotel and dining room.) Loved the whole dining experience at lunch on Wednesday, February 5. The table was in a great location - with great seats for the 4 of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable food well-presented,GustavDined on 2/5/2014Reliable food well-presented, and terrific service, all in a space that is inviting and allows you and your lunch partners to hear each other without leaning across the table. And most welcoming on a dreary February day, a well-tended fire. Great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and ServiceCarolynVIPDined on 2/4/2014What a treat this place was. I was highly impressed with all aspects . . . from the Hostess to the Server to the Bus boy. Amazing!!!Special Features:
- Delicious and quietDolphindelightDined on 1/26/2014We enjoyed brunch on Sunday morning. The service was spectacular and the food selections were plentiful. I selected the crab cakes with asparagus with caviar sauce. The crab cakes are small but absolutely delicious. For a heartier breakfast, my husband enjoyed a ham and cheese omelet with roasted potatoes and toast. The coffee was very good and the service was exceptional. There wasn't a minute that went by that we weren't observed for additional service. Our bill came to $70 with tip. The pot of coffee was $14, but well worth it. We were very happy with our dining experience and would suggest it to others if asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeautifulRajatVIPDined on 1/25/2014Fabulous brunch - glad we found this place while visiting DC! Great job!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very enjoyable lunch experience.travelerDined on 1/20/2014A very enjoyable lunch experience. Service was excellent and The Greenhouse offers quiet 2 tables in a pretty patio type setting. Good food selections and we enjoyed the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunch, but $$$$$fleurdaliseVIPDined on 1/19/2014This is by far one of the best brunches in town -- every dish was perfect down to each berry. Its a very special experience. My only note is that it is also extremely expensive.Special Features:
- One ComplaintJananDined on 1/1/2014Only complaint - I had made the reservation requiring a seat by the fireplace. This was request was lost - I was only "lucky" that the seat I had requested was available. Ideally when making a specific request, that request would NOT be lost in the mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was a welcome retreatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/22/2013Brunch was a welcome retreat and treat from the holiday bustle. Roasted tomato soup & finger Grilled cheese snawiches were the envy and the hit of the table and so appropriate for the gloomy, rainy weather. Everyone loved the savory tomatoe flavor Eggs B with ham and omelettes were generous portions and very filling. Some spotty service but all the servers were very gracious. An overall good meal experience. A lovely hotel with varied venues to accomodate varied requirements. We will return for cocktails and dinner.Special Features:
- Disappointing afternoon teafoodiemdDined on 12/21/2013Four of us had afternoon tea at the Jefferson on a recent weekend, an annual Christmas event. Our first time was the best--the service was outstanding, the food was wonderful, and we loved sitting in one of the cozy nooks. Now, alas, the nooks seat only three; the noise level in the center of the restaurant (where we were seated this time) was so high that it was hard to hear cross-table conversation. The food was uneven: delicious scones and jam (the best!), but the tea sandwiches were dry, and the only one we really liked was the salmon. The sweets were okay, but not as interesting as in past years. Service was okay, not as friendly as in the past. Nevertheless, it's a beautiful setting and makes for a lovely holiday event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big thumbs upOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/21/2013Te Jefferson Hotel is such a wonderful boutique hotel and both the Greenhouse and Plume are memorable dining spots. The attention to design details in the dining room (one dining room serves both the Greenhouse in daylight hours and Plume for dinner) sets the tone that is equally matched by the service and the food. Prices can add up with wine but if you are looking for a special place or somewhere to make an impression, it is well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful, very relaxedNaganaDined on 12/15/2013A wonderful, very relaxed brunch. Lobster Eggs Benedict was terrific!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at the Jefferson HotelRYEthreeDined on 12/15/2013Went to the Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel for brunch on a Sunday and had a great time. Nice quiet ambiance, very professional and courteous staff and end to end a great experience The food was simply superb! It was freshly cooked, hot (and not from a heat lamp), a delight for the palate, and served surprisingly fast for an upscale restaurant. The fresh squeezed orange juice alone was worth the trip, as were the deserts which were unique, creative and very tasty. For the three of us, the price was reasonable given the quality of the cuisine. We'd definitely recommend it, but highly suggest having a reservation.Special Features:
- CharmingfinedinerDined on 12/14/2013Very charming and romantic location inside the historical Jefferson. Wonderful food and great service. We will be back and we recommend it for those that love great food and don't mind spending the money on a great menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving Sunday BrunchDCEmptyNesterDined on 12/1/2013We really enjoyed a lovely brunch with our young adult children in the Greenhouse. The prices were similar to any Washington Brunch but the atmosphere was first class. It is the perfect place to lift your winter spirits with sunshine while still staying cozily inside. It was elegant but not stuffy and the food was deliciously prepared and fresh. We enjoyed the Eggs Benedict with Virginia Country Ham, the Lemon Pancakes, the French Toast, and the Lobster Benedict. This would be a great place to bring out-of-town guests for a taste of DC without the tourist throngs. The service was top notch, my daughter was very impressed when one of the wait staff brought a stool for her purse which had fallen to the floor near her chair, nice touch ;).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely brunchtastyVIPDined on 12/1/2013The restaurant has Boutique written all over it. Tables are tucked into nooks for that private conversation. Service is stellar with staff humming around to fill water, pour champagne. Voices tend to carry so not a place for children. Food was deftly prepared and the foie Gras terrine from the dinner menu was like "butter!" Enjoyed so much, we plan to dine and spend the night in the Hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!HenryJDined on 11/24/2013This was my second experience dining here for brunch. What an awesome experience! The service was phenomenal. The atmosphere was fantastic and the food and drinks were great. I highly recommend this spot for special occasions or just a relaxing Sunday afternoon affair. I WILL be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the GreenhouseFoodiemominmdDined on 11/17/2013Very much enjoyed my first dining experience at the Greenhouse, and will be returning without question. The hotel and restaurant staff were welcoming and attentive, the menu was great and the food very good indeed. Loved the lobster as an add on for my salad. My friends and I were so pleased to find a spot where the dining experience was unrushed and the noise level very tolerable. Also much appreciated the convenience of valet parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Step into another, quieter world.JohneatsdcDined on 11/12/2013I took my boyfriend here for lunch. From the time you walk in you are whisked away to a world removed from our own. No detail of this hotel, its staff or restaurant go unnoticed. It was like walking back into another era that our current day has forgotten. Our server, Carlos, was a delight and provided us the upmost privacy (something I value greatly). Our lunch took about 15 minutes to arrive so our meals weren't rushed. I am unempressed by a restaurant that gets your meal out minutes after the order is placed. I can not wait to come back and experimence their evening dining setup, Plume, which I've read so much about. If you're considering dining here for a special occasion, business meeting, or even some personal solitude, don't hesitateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, but...JAGJAGDined on 11/10/2013The setting could not have been more gracious and attractive -- although it being so close to the front doors and lobby felt a little odd. The service was very solicitous but quite slow. When I have been to teas in the past, the serving dishes were re-filled; here, they were not, which seems rather stingy for $39 per person -- and they were not terribly generous with the tea sandwiches to begin with. Still, an elegant place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely old world charmHappyDinerDined on 10/17/2013I felt as if I had just taken a short trip to Europe... A civilized, luxurious lunch and a great opportunity to catch up with a friend without feeling rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuncholiveDined on 10/11/2013It was nice. Especially, the relaxed atmosphere. I like interior designs. We made 2 tables and there was comfortable distance between them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A superior restaurant in everyGeneVIPDined on 9/22/2013A superior restaurant in every category: Food, service, ambience, decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous restaurantTravelingsistersDined on 9/21/2013If you like historic architecture, check out The Jefferson! What a beautiful place with its high ceilings and gorgeous iron gate work. We even ran into a famous TV actor while dining here. The breakfast was good, but not exceptional. This place is definitely for special occasions since a breakfast for two ran us $75 ( we did order 3 entrees, though, because I wanted to try the pancakes). High class place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good foodDCRolandDined on 9/17/2013A very nice restaurant, with great service. The food was also really good, and we enjoyed the quiet, luxurious ambience. Former DC-mayor Anthony Williams seems to like it too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea sandwiches a treat!DebbieDined on 9/7/2013We went to the Jefferson for Tea. It is lovely and quiet with wonderful service. The sandwiches were excellent, especially the smoked salmon and roast beef (and we are not big beef eaters). The scones and clotted cream were good. However, the other desserts were rather ordinary. The chocolate tart had a lovely filling but the crust was leave-able. The others were a bit dry and non-memorable. Unless it was just an off day, I would just get sandwiches and scones next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There is no other place inGeneVIPDined on 8/18/2013There is no other place in Washington so beautiful and welcoming as the Jefferson and its restaurants and bar. It is a hidden gem and I hope it remains as such. The food and service are excellent, and each time I have dined, it was a truly memorable experience for my guests and me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2013The girlfriend and I got lobster eggs benedict and jumbo crab cakes for brunch. Very good with a good amount per serving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/15/2013This was a wonderful experience for breakfast. The service was impeccable and the food sublime. It was the perfect way to start a day.Special Features:
- Good for business lunch. TheAnneDined on 7/19/2013Good for business lunch. The food is good. Not great. It has the makings of great but just misses the mark. I had a veggie panni type sandwich and it had great elements but just fell apart. The salad was bland. The quiche was a little dry. The ambiance is great. Quiet which is rare for a lunch place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence all roundManga1972Dined on 7/19/2013Staff were incredible - food: amazing - seating: very romantic. A must for all who enjoy special occasion dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.