Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC
1200 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jeffersondc.com/restaurant-dining/index.cfm
- Phone: 2024482300x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7am to 10am;
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11am to 2pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 7am to 1:30pm.
Afternoon tea: Available reservations on Saturday and Sunday between 2pm and 2:30pm.
Walk-ins are not accepted for full tea service. Reservations made for a same day seating must be placed before noon. Walk-ins will be offered tea and daily Chef’s pastry assortment. Please indicate any dietary restriction at the time of reservation.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, High Tea, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Private Cellar, inspired by Jefferson’s passion for wine, will be the hotel’s private dining room, and its walls will be lined with wine display cabinets and private wine lockers. Beneath a soaring, plaster groin-vaulted ceiling, guests will have the opportunity to sample the culinary talents of our culinary team complemented by wines from the hotel’s impressive selection of more than 1,000 labels. A dumbwaiter, fashioned after Jefferson’s own at Monticello, will deliver vintages from the cellar to the table. At 297 square feet, the Private Cellar will accommodate 18.
- Private Party Contact: Meagan Stroud 2024483253x
- Special Events: Afternoon Tea takes place in the Greenhouse. Advanced reservations are required. Credit card is required to guarantee all reservations. Reservations cancelled within 24 hours will be charged $39 per person cancellation fee.
A word from Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC
Washington power breakfasts and express lunches are served under The Jefferson’s historic skylight. Natural light streams in from above, creating an informal, airy setting for daytime meals that perfectly complements the light, fresh and energizing fare on our menus.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (16)romantic (14)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (10)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (4)neighborhood gem (4)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- For ladies who lunchemc3e17Dined on 10/8/2014This is a great spot for a ladies' outing or a going-away luncheon. Even your purse gets a pedestal. Very feminine. Probably not the most appropriate for a group of men.Special Features:
- Nice brunch with new associates.BrunchingDined on 10/4/2014Had a nice brunch with new associates from overseas. The Greenhouse was a great choice and a meal the guest will remember. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance a 10! Food not so muchFoodieFirstDined on 9/28/2014I went to high tea at the Jefferson Hotel and was really disappointed. It was a birthday present for my sister-in-law. Based on the reviews, we decided to go there. The service was wonderful, and the staff attentive. The ambiance is really quite lovely. But if you're a foodie, you might want to go somewhere else. The tea service includes 4 little strips of sandwich. They were bland. There were no warm savories served. The desserts were numerous, and a couple things were tasty, but nothing outstanding. Because tea wasn't balanced (lacking sufficient protein) we hit sugar overload before we finished the desserts. I like ambiance, but for me the quality of the food comes first. It was sorely lacking. We won't be returning.
- Beautiful PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2014Very nice high tea although food was not much. I know teas usually do not have much food but they had more desserts than savory. I feel they should have offered a little bit more sandwiches. They were a little skimpy on those. But food tasted delicious and service was fantastic. Very beautiful place.Special Features:
- Exceptional!LUVTEDined on 9/28/2014This was a last second reservation with a friend who had a cast on her leg. They provided a space for her that was comfortable. The staff was quick, efficient, and friendly. The food was great. Even though I had lived in the area for 10 years I had never been here for brunch. It is defiantly on my list for the next time I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming, classyAlainDuCVIPDined on 9/23/2014Good food at a reasonable price given the classy setting. Service a bit too fawning and omnipresent for those trying to conduct business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely teasherrybethVIPDined on 9/20/2014Service was wonderful and this is a wonderful place for afternoon tea. The setting and atmosphere is perfect; they even have a footstool for your handbag. They continue to fill your tea pot with hot water, the garden greenhouse, silver tea service and the actual waiters all back for a fabulous girls day out.Special Features:
- Sophisticated Business LunchCapsFanDined on 9/15/2014The Greenhouse in the Jefferson is a wonder "old DC" type of lunch spot. The service is great and the food wonderful. They do a nice job of seating people throughout the space, so you never feel like you are right next to another table. Look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Beautiful and tasty High TeaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/6/2014I visited the Jefferson with a group of four girls celebrating a special event. The dining area for high tea is really classical and beautiful. The tea sandwiches and desserts were tasty, and it was plenty of food for a high tea. Highly recommended. Great romantic spot or girls' day out destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedBizLuncherDined on 8/27/2014Nice atmosphere - very plush - but mediocre, over-priced food - nothing imaginative
- Wonderful as expectedLouSDined on 8/3/2014Great experience always, welcoming, gracious attentive staff. Friends are impressed by the care that is taken to be sure that we have been treated according to our expectations.Special Features:
- Afternoon TeaSharkVIPDined on 7/27/2014A simply fantastic experience for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Perfect AtmosphereLuv2Dine90Dined on 7/27/2014Had brunch with a friend here I hadn't seen for 3 years. Waiters were top notch as well as everything else.. decor and atmosphere was perfect. Great for a special occasion!!!Special Features:
- A touch of EuropeTCullyVIPDined on 7/23/2014Very classy setting.....seems you are in Paris until you walk outside and see the White House just down the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/20/2014Great service and excellent brunch. I had brunch their twice and one dinner in their lobby bar (food is from the Greenhouse). The brunch was triple "AAA". The dinner was weak. Sliders were basic, Cobb salad with lobster was uninspiring and flat. I ordered a basic pasta from my son, and they botched that with too much butter and salt. They fixed it, but did not reflect well on a hotel at this pricing point. Drinks were missed by our friendly servers, but again I am there to enjoy not manage.
- The following 260 reviews are from the Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC reviews archive.
- Frank keeps it aliveIrishtiggerVIPDined on 6/30/2014Skip the Greenhouse and go to the back where you can find Quill. Frank works the bar and provides class A service.Special Features:
- Classy and elegantCarolynDined on 6/28/2014Had High Tea here and it was phenomenal. Food and service was excellent, although I wished our waiters had explained how long to stew our tea for before pouring (everyone got different types). Beautiful hotel, and very comfortable.Special Features:
- Afternoon Tea with the GirlsDCLOMODined on 6/21/2014It was an afternoon to remember. The Greenhouse staff went above and beyond in making this a special treat. Oh - did I mention they brought us an ottoman for our purses. (No joke). It was a great way to spend an afternoon with my girlfriends. If you come to tea, please dress accordingly. Jeans not appropriate for the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousMicheleDined on 6/15/2014I took my husband here for Father's Day brunch with or the young kids. The whole experience was just great. This is a high end restaurant and I was worried about bringing the small kids. The staff made us feel more than comfortable and totally helped to keep the kids entertained. They ensure their food was brought quickly so they wouldn't be bouncing of their chairs. The food was delicious and the brunch menu was perfect for the occasion. I can't say enough about the staff. They were just that wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary lunchBWFoodieDined on 6/10/2014My wife drove into downtown DC to celebrate our wedding anniversary at the Jefferson Hotel. Lunch at Greenhouse was a highlight! The staff were hospitable, attentive and polished. The food was delicious! The lobster bisque and scallops were among the best I've ever had in the world. Well done.Special Features:
- Pricey, weak service at breakfastonceinawhileDined on 6/10/2014Met out of town travelers for breakfast here on a Tuesday am. no crowds, initial service of water and coffee good, they respected our talking to a fault and took a while to come back to take orders, then did not come back in a timely way to check on coffee levels etc. had to ask for check after an hour and 15 minutes- with hardly any other tables seated. Don't plan on private conversations here- a big echo chamber and tables relatively close by. VERY expensive for what you get- especially with poor service on top. Hay Adams a comparable upscale venue and overall better choice. bonus- cheap valet parking in front !I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely for teaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2014My best friend and I have a sort of tradition of treating ourselves to an elegant afternoon tea for occasional celebrations, and the Jefferson Hotel did not disappoint. The food--from savory tea sandwiches, to perfect scones with the closest thing to clotted cream outside the UK, to delicious sweets--did not disappoint. The tea, too, was lovely--they had selections beyond Earl Grey for black teas, and a lovely white tea for those who prefer less caffeine. The staff was also superb--understanding when we called to say we'd be late due to DC traffic, unobtrusive but attentive, and did not rush us to leave, even though we lingered for a while as we worked our way through the food selections. Definitely recommend--and come hungry!Special Features:
- Lovely Afternoon Tea VenueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014Anyone in the DC area looking for a great spot for a proper afternoon tea should check out the Jefferson. The service was attentive, the atmosphere was beautiful and the food was superb. The selection and quality was well worth the money.Special Features:
- Great brunch findEmilyVIPDined on 6/7/2014Walking into the Greenhouse you are immediately greeted by the host, who predicted my name based on the fact I had a reservation and must have been the only one with a reservation at that time. We arrived at 10:30 and were one of the only ones there which I have to assume was because not enough people know about this place or because it was so early because the food and service was amazing. It was a little more expensive than the typical brunch and they don't offer any specials on bottomless mimosas but it was a nice change of pace from the typical brunches I attend and I will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Great service and delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014We went to Greenhouse for a birthday brunch celebration with a party of 7. Everything was absolutely splendid from the moment we walked in. Service was superb. Food delicious.Special Features:
- Wonderful brunchLizzieVIPDined on 5/25/2014Recently went with a group of friends. The main dining room is lovely and ornate. The menu offers a selection of breakfast and lunch dishes, but most of the group leaned toward breakfast. Everyone loved their meals, with the french toast, the lemon ricotta pancakes, and the lobster eggs benedict getting rave reviews. Skip the crap cakes, they were the weakest dish. The service was good, but distant, with the waiters only stopping by every so often. As you'd expect from the Jefferson Hotel, this was definitely more expensive than you're average brunch spot.Special Features:
- Nice quiet retreatDanRVIPDined on 5/21/2014First time here, it was great for a business lunch. Beautiful space, and quiet enough to have conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfect1stimerVIPDined on 5/16/2014Another lunch at Greenhouse continues to prove the dining venues at the Jefferson are some of the best, and most elegant, in town. Impeccable, yet friendly, service. Consistently delicious food. And in such a charming setting. My favorite spot in the city for lunch.Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchBrunchDined on 5/11/2014I took my parents here for a Mother's day brunch and we had a lovely time/ The way the tables are set up, you feel like you are almost alone and having a personal dining experience. Great for romantic dining experiences and peaceful Sunday brunches.Special Features:
- Birthday BreakfastTeenyDined on 4/30/2014The Greenhouse was a place that I, somewhat, blindly picked for a Birthday Breakfast for a friend. I absolutely made the right choice. The food was wonderful. She wanted an omelet and a mimosa, and they did both well. The atmosphere gave me the feel of jumping into a page in "Pride and Prejudice". Everything was elegant, beautiful, feminine, and classy.Special Features:
- Breakfast at the GreenhouseBallet007VIPDined on 4/20/2014This is my regular Sunday morning breakfast spot. It is quiet, the service is great, the food is good. It's the perfect place for an early morning breakfast. I have never been to their brunch which I understand is lovely as well.Special Features:
- Greenhouse74umgradVIPDined on 4/19/2014This was the first time my wife and I had brunch at Greenhouse. We have dined here previously for dinner, where the name of the room changes to Plume, but both "restaurants" share the same space. Everything about our brunch experience was excellent with the exception that the omelette I had was somewhat bland. My wife had lobster eggs benedict which was fine, and each of us had a mimosa, and these were fine, as well. For dessert, each of us had a house-made fruit smoothie, and these cannot be recommended enough. We would certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon TeaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014We had afternoon there recently. We arrived early and were seated promptly. The hotel is beautiful, unfortunately we were seated in a small side room with no view. The service was very good and prompt and we enjoyed talking with them. The food was subpar compared to other places where I have enjoyed afternoon tea. The sandwiches were bland and the bread a tad dry. None of the pastries stood out.Special Features:
- Lovely food and ambianceDCdinerVIPDined on 4/9/2014The food is very good here although not outstanding. However the ambiance and service is exceptional.Special Features:
- Bright & Happy BrunchAriana13xyVIPDined on 4/6/2014We all enjoyed a wonderful meal at the Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel. I found myself drooling over both the menu and the architecture/decor of the place - everything was right up my alley. We were seated in a conservatory-esq room under a beautiful milk-glass arched sky lights (hence the name "Greenhouse"). Bright yellow flower bouquet accents popped against the grey and white plastered walls and black and white checkered floor. Mercury glass mirrored tabletops decked out with translucent metallic placemats further reflected the early afternoon light that emanated throughout the room. It put me in a happy mood immediately. My lemon ricotta pancakes were amazing - exactly what I had been hoping for, only better smelling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place was GREAT! My momHaley12Dined on 4/5/2014This place was GREAT! My mom and I had. Wonderful experience being waited on hand and foot while eating our delicious brunch. Also loved the purse foot stools!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deeply Disappointed!CiaoBellaVIPDined on 3/29/2014After carefully researching venues, we were thrilled to land the Greenhouse. The restaurant called twice to reconfirm and were informed of the milestone celebration. We expected impeccable service, a low noise level, and outstanding food. Except for the Eggs Benedict, unfortunately, this criteria was not met at any level. The MDR was hosting two showers simultaneously and the noise level was extremely disturbing. All service was directed to the parties, leaving us to beckon for everything, even the BD recognition. Waiters were unpolished and clearly distracted. The Manager understood our disappointment, made a bill adjustment, & suggested we give them another opportunity. Unfortunately this was our only chance to celebrate a 90th Bday!
- Great for business converstaionElizabethDined on 3/19/2014The food is delightful and the service is excellent. The overall noise level was low so conversation was easy. I have been here multiple times for this purpose and I'm never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special work lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/18/2014Our small group of five was gathered to say goodbye to a colleague. The dining area, which has the feel of an atrium, signaled immediately that it was not going to be an ordinary grab and shovel lunch. The service was especially nice, efficient, fast and friendly without being obtrusive. And everyone thought the food was very good. I had salmon with grilled spinach and an array of sorbets for dessert. The sorbet was excellent, especially the chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and worth the upgradeDCgirlDined on 3/16/2014Had Sunday brunch and was amazed. The prices are only a little more than a normal DC brunch spot (I believe the waffles were $14 and the lobster Benedict was $26) but the atmosphere was wonderful-old charm mixed with modern touches. Food was great. And they gave my purse a perch to sit next to me. Staff was attentive and didn't rush us. I would say this should be a top DC brunch spot. I'm almost sorry to share the news. Shhh... Don't tell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.