1460 W Chicago
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
Vegetarian / VeganPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.greenzebrachicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 243-7100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday- Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Closed Mondays for the winter
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shawn McClain
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Small, intimate private dining space located on the second floor.
- Private Party Contact: Elizabeth Burke 3122437100x
- Special Events: Our private dining room can comfortably accommodate 10-35 people. Please contact us for further details.
- Cross Street: Greenview
- Public Transit: Blue Line, Chicago Avenue Bus, Ashland Avenue Bus
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking available on Chicago Avenue and surrounding side streets (please note: parking can be challenging when special events draw crowds to West Town)
A word from Green Zebra
Green Zebra offers a contemporary vegetarian experience in an upscale, hip environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Green Zebra reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (117)special occasion (74)romantic (58)neighborhood gem (55)notable wine list (24)hot spot (16)good for groups (14)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Birthday Dinner at Green ZebraOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Went to green zebra for my father's birthday. The staff was very helpful and competent. The food was amazing and can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarian fine-diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2014This is a great restaurant for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Ambiance is casual elegance, food is interesting and flavorful. You won't miss the meat!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The quintessential vegetarian fine dining place.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014There is no other fine dining for vegetarians that beats this place. The dishes are always immaculate and the staff are genuine. Best in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Nice staffSandySamVIPDined on 11/13/2014Lived the mushroom pate. Very creamy and flavorful. Quinoa with kale was good but not as exciting as other items on the menu. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbianceScopesVIPDined on 11/13/2014The foos is amazing at green zebra, and I will continue to dine there. I think they could turn on a little music or something else to create some vibes and a bit more of an atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vegetarian restaurantHeyStevoDined on 11/8/2014Being both vegetarian and coming in for a holiday it always a dilemma about good places to find, but we hit the spot with the Green Zebra and would recommend it for great food and stylish ambience, a definite winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions, but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014I came here with a few friends, one who is vegan. There were plenty of options and overall, most dishes were decent. I would not recommend the risotto or the ramen as both were bland. The barrata and the biscuit was the delicious!Special Features:
- one of the bestRachelVIPDined on 11/7/2014This is one of the best restaurants in Chicago. Even if you are not a vegetarian, you will love the creative and delicious food. Every on of the 14 dishes we had was amazing. Get the chef's tasting menu with the wine pairings. You won't regret it.Special Features:
- Best restaurant everCharlesyoufarleyDined on 11/7/2014By far my favorite restaurant and I always love everything on the menu. They have a great wine list and a handful of craft cocktails. I would of liked to see a bigger beer selection but this place is really about the food. The maître d' was really nice and helped us with decanting a special wine I had been saving. Our server, Carla, was fantastic and very attentive and knowledgeable of the menu. I'll try to make a point to resquest her next time. Thank you Green Zebra, you have never disappointed. I love you.. And your mushroom kimchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vegetarian food at its besttjonlineDined on 11/6/2014We first came 2 years ago. Was recommended by the concierge from our hotel. The neighborhood we found a bit strange, but this we forgot after the sensational dinner. This year we were curious. Could we experience what we did 2 years ago? Let's put it this way. Relocate green zebra to munich and we would be regulars. Food, taste, service - we had just a great dinner. (And this year we took 66 and blue line back to our hotel; nothing do worry about).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FineAwesomeVIPDined on 11/4/2014Food was good, nothing special or out of the ordinary.
- TedoVIPDined on 10/30/2014Three of us took out a friend for her birthday. We found an interesting menu and enjoyed everything we tried.Special Features:
- A 3-hour tour!tmbrDined on 10/26/2014Our server brought our "tapas" style dishes 30-35 minutes at a time. There was no explanation for what was going on in the kitchen, no apologies for why everything was taking so long. We had a friend in from out of town & we're very embarrassed to have recommended this restaurant. We have been to Green Zebra before & loved it, even though we're not vegetarians. I love a good steak, but I enjoy the food here. But this time, the experience was terrible. I'm sorry to be writing this review, as I live in the neighborhood & want the place to survive. I wish that my guest had had a better time, & that we had, too. I'll still give Green Zebra another chance in the future. I just could not believe my eyes when I saw the meal had taken over 3 hours!Special Features:
- Vegan and vegetarian delightThePunditVIPDined on 10/25/2014The tasting menu is a must, inventive and well balanced. Ryan, our server, was exemplary! Elegant decor. Prices are very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a new favoriteALISONDined on 10/24/2014I went to Green Zebra with my mom and sister on our recent annual visit to Chicago. It was fabulous! We ordered 2-3 small plates each and shared. The highlights of these were the kale salad, hen of the woods mushroom pate, roasted pumpkin soup, polenta with green chile, and the flatbread with tomato jam and goat cheese. No doubt that we'll return to the Green Zebra next year. Yum!Special Features:
- NoisyInFromOutofTownDined on 10/24/2014Green Zebra offers innovative vegetarian food. Some was quite good, some just okay. After 8:30, when the restaurant was full, it was rather loud and difficult to hear everyone at our table for six.
- Lovely experienceGudforme52Dined on 10/23/2014Visiting with friends I hadn't seen in 30 years was marvelous and easy because the food was outstanding, the atmosphere tranquil, and the service excellent. We talked and shared small plates for two hours. When the restaurant was nearly empty the staff brought over some extra wine from a tasting and encouraged us to continue visiting. It was a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014We loved Green Zebra!! The food was amazing - shared several small plates - each was incredible. I am a vegetarian - my dining partner is not and we both enjoyed the dining experience equally! Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DateMeggotronDined on 10/19/2014My boyfriend and I are both vegetarians. I had dined here once before and absolutely loved it, so when my boyfriend was in town from Atlanta, Green Zebra was at the top of my to-do list. We ordered a few small plates- each bursting with flavor. The mushroom pate with pickled fennel was my favorite, while my boyfriend really enjoyed the country flatbread. A not-too-peppery bottle of Malbec was the perfect complement to each dish. I absolutely recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves food. Each dish is ridiculously delicious- every bite is a glimpse of heaven.Special Features:
- Who would believe it's vegaterianJuan4twoDined on 10/19/2014Wonderful food and lovely restaurant. Have been here several times and have always come away with a very satisfied feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food poor serviceJoseDined on 10/18/2014You know that you are off to a bad start when the waitress states that you are ordering too much food. When I asked how big the portions were she pointed to the small plate in front of me and said "about that size." She then proceeded to tell us that the kitchen had run out of bread as well as a few other food items (it was 9 pm). I ordered 4 items and received only 3. My 4th choice was inadvertently placed in front of one of my other friends (party of 8) who promptly ate it thinking that he had ordered it. During the meal the waitress would come over to enquire if we needed anything. Before anyone could answer she would turn abd walk away not hearing what anyone had to say This happened more then 3 times.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014The service was slow and not at all attentive. I had been assured that the kitchen would be able to handle our table's food allergies. This was definitely not the case! One of our party went home hungry! The hostess who tried to open our bottle of wine broke the cork and giggled while she struggled with the opener. When we were leaving the staff couldn't find our coats. It was a very unpleasant experience from beginning to end! We will not return or recommend to others.
- Calling all vegetarian foodies...MeerKatDined on 10/17/2014Green Zebra was the restaurant "find" of our recent trip to Chicago. Who knew that a city known for its robust dining options could harbor such an exquisite vegetarian restaurant? The chef treats vegetables as the star of the show, not a side act. The dishes are imaginative, beautifully prepared, and artfully presented by a knowledgeable staff. The space is small but well designed, with seating on several levels within the space. Vegan selections are available and many vegetarian dishes can be made vegan. An excellent dining experience on all fronts.Special Features:
- Great place to bring non vegetarianVegetariandudeDined on 10/17/2014I had eaten here once before a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed it. Great food and all vegetarian or vegan. This time came back with a non vegetarian friend who was skeptical at first, but was won over by the food and gracious service. Great place for dinner for business or social occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss PiggyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014This is delicious sophisticated food, with mushroom pates and vegetable purees - not heavy but very satisfyingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic truffle menurgl201VIPDined on 10/12/2014The truffle menu at Green Zebra -- a truffle-infused cream gougere; a salad with ample mushrooms and seasoned with truffle vinaigrette; goat cheese ravioli with truffles; six minute egg with vegetables and truffles, and even truffle-flavored hot cocoa (not on the menu, but offered along with it). Wine pairings (Italian wines to go with the truffles) were excellent, and they added dessert wines (moscat d'asti and also an ice-cider from Vermont) to boot. Although we reserved a table, they were very full when we arrived and had to wait a few minutes, but they comped us a glass of sparkling wine and also a delicious plate of broccoli, and were super-gracious (as usual). Although we are not vegetarians, this is one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Green ZebraGinseyDined on 10/12/2014Service and food are wonderful. I'm not a vegetarian and I never leave disappointed or hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now in my top 10napa4vacaDined on 10/12/2014Get the pumpkin soup! Green Zebra is one of the best places I've ever eaten. A food adventure - for the light and fit foodieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014Cauliflower polenta was life changing, so amazing ! Delicious food, I can't wait to go back and try other seasonal menusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, place is noisyVeggieheadDined on 10/11/2014I'm not sure the taste justify the prices. Some dishes were really good (mushroom pate and polenta) and others just okay (ramen, black bean dumplings). The waitress missed one of our orders and but instead of dealing with it discreetly, she sent a server to deal with us who wasn't exactly tactful. He apologized eventually, but for this type of dining experience, I'd expect better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it getsSFOXVIPDined on 10/11/2014We ordered the prix fixe Truffle menu with the wine pairings. Though we did add the Hens of the Woods mushroom pate, launching our meal with a dazzling start. The mini-puff with creme fraiche and truffles was light yet richly flavored. The truffle salad that followed was a well constructed bridge to the truffled six-minute scotch egg. The goat cheese ravioli adorned by truffles was the climax of the meal, while taking nothing away from the dessert, was superb. The wines chosen for the pairings were not standard issue and complemented each dish quite well. You have to admire a restaurant where the service is friendly, and attentive, without being in your face. If you feel you deserve a great evening out, Green Zebra should be your choice.Special Features:
- Vegetarian GemVegetarianGemDined on 10/10/2014Always a great place to dine for vegetarians, and non-vegetarians. Nice place, great ambiance, great service, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- truffle dinner out of this world!2plusmeDined on 10/9/2014My teenage daughter and I go here a few times a year for a special treat (away from her siblings). The truffle dinner was fabulous! GZ never disappoints and I have been coming since they opened. Wait staff and bus staff is always attentive and helpful, and there is never a long wait for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant great, but no parking.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014We loved our meal, had great service, and enjoyed the time they gave us to linger. Only complaint was lack of parking valet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truffle menu - wow!jujumuccVIPDined on 10/5/2014This special menu was one of my favorites so far! Their seasonal menus are so excellent, but their standard menu is fantastic too. Favorite dish of the night was the goat cheese ravioli with truffle - to die for! Staff is always great and the wine list is small but impressive!Special Features:
- Even my kids loves itELProfDined on 10/4/2014The first time we went, my daughter was not sure she would like it. However, she loved it, and she made a special request to come back here for her birthday dinner celebration. Food was great as always. Wish we lived closer.Special Features:
- Will turn a carnivore...samkatvicDined on 10/4/2014Fantastic.....creative, excellent, and just delicious.....Special Features:
- really, good foodDcb44Dined on 10/3/2014Even if you are not vegetarian or vegan, green zebra is still worth the trip. There are many dishes to choose from with complex flavor profiles. Green zebra has some of the best food I've had in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Among the very best in Chicago..OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014.. whether you are a vegetarian or not. I've vegetarian and non-vegetarian friends who agree and all have been back once they've been. You cannot go wrong with the chef's tasting menu. I've stopped reading it and just trust that the experience will be great.Special Features:
- one of my all time favoritesKarenDined on 10/2/2014Love this place! I am never disappointed. I'm vegetarian and this is one, if not THE best. But bring your meat eating friends, they will never miss it!Special Features: