1460 W Chicago
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
Vegetarian / VeganPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.greenzebrachicago.com/
- Phone: 3122437100x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday- Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Closed Mondays for the winter
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shawn McClain
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Small, intimate private dining space located on the second floor.
- Private Party Contact: Elizabeth Burke 3122437100x
- Special Events: Our private dining room can comfortably accommodate 10-35 people. Please contact us for further details.
- Cross Street: Greenview
- Public Transit: Blue Line, Chicago Avenue Bus, Ashland Avenue Bus
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking available on Chicago Avenue and surrounding side streets (please note: parking can be challenging when special events draw crowds to West Town)
A word from Green Zebra
Green Zebra offers a contemporary vegetarian experience in an upscale, hip environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Green Zebra reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (119)special occasion (79)romantic (61)neighborhood gem (60)notable wine list (23)hot spot (16)good for groups (14)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- A 3-hour tour!tmbrDined on 10/26/2014Our server brought our "tapas" style dishes 30-35 minutes at a time. There was no explanation for what was going on in the kitchen, no apologies for why everything was taking so long. We had a friend in from out of town & we're very embarrassed to have recommended this restaurant. We have been to Green Zebra before & loved it, even though we're not vegetarians. I love a good steak, but I enjoy the food here. But this time, the experience was terrible. I'm sorry to be writing this review, as I live in the neighborhood & want the place to survive. I wish that my guest had had a better time, & that we had, too. I'll still give Green Zebra another chance in the future. I just could not believe my eyes when I saw the meal had taken over 3 hours!Special Features:
- Vegan and vegetarian delightThePunditVIPDined on 10/25/2014The tasting menu is a must, inventive and well balanced. Ryan, our server, was exemplary! Elegant decor. Prices are very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a new favoriteALISONDined on 10/24/2014I went to Green Zebra with my mom and sister on our recent annual visit to Chicago. It was fabulous! We ordered 2-3 small plates each and shared. The highlights of these were the kale salad, hen of the woods mushroom pate, roasted pumpkin soup, polenta with green chile, and the flatbread with tomato jam and goat cheese. No doubt that we'll return to the Green Zebra next year. Yum!Special Features:
- NoisyInFromOutofTownDined on 10/24/2014Green Zebra offers innovative vegetarian food. Some was quite good, some just okay. After 8:30, when the restaurant was full, it was rather loud and difficult to hear everyone at our table for six.
- Lovely experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Visiting with friends I hadn't seen in 30 years was marvelous and easy because the food was outstanding, the atmosphere tranquil, and the service excellent. We talked and shared small plates for two hours. When the restaurant was nearly empty the staff brought over some extra wine from a tasting and encouraged us to continue visiting. It was a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014We loved Green Zebra!! The food was amazing - shared several small plates - each was incredible. I am a vegetarian - my dining partner is not and we both enjoyed the dining experience equally! Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DateMeggotronDined on 10/19/2014My boyfriend and I are both vegetarians. I had dined here once before and absolutely loved it, so when my boyfriend was in town from Atlanta, Green Zebra was at the top of my to-do list. We ordered a few small plates- each bursting with flavor. The mushroom pate with pickled fennel was my favorite, while my boyfriend really enjoyed the country flatbread. A not-too-peppery bottle of Malbec was the perfect complement to each dish. I absolutely recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves food. Each dish is ridiculously delicious- every bite is a glimpse of heaven.Special Features:
- Who would believe it's vegaterianJuan4twoDined on 10/19/2014Wonderful food and lovely restaurant. Have been here several times and have always come away with a very satisfied feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food poor serviceJoseDined on 10/18/2014You know that you are off to a bad start when the waitress states that you are ordering too much food. When I asked how big the portions were she pointed to the small plate in front of me and said "about that size." She then proceeded to tell us that the kitchen had run out of bread as well as a few other food items (it was 9 pm). I ordered 4 items and received only 3. My 4th choice was inadvertently placed in front of one of my other friends (party of 8) who promptly ate it thinking that he had ordered it. During the meal the waitress would come over to enquire if we needed anything. Before anyone could answer she would turn abd walk away not hearing what anyone had to say This happened more then 3 times.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014The service was slow and not at all attentive. I had been assured that the kitchen would be able to handle our table's food allergies. This was definitely not the case! One of our party went home hungry! The hostess who tried to open our bottle of wine broke the cork and giggled while she struggled with the opener. When we were leaving the staff couldn't find our coats. It was a very unpleasant experience from beginning to end! We will not return or recommend to others.
- Great place to bring non vegetarianVegetariandudeDined on 10/17/2014I had eaten here once before a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed it. Great food and all vegetarian or vegan. This time came back with a non vegetarian friend who was skeptical at first, but was won over by the food and gracious service. Great place for dinner for business or social occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss PiggyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014This is delicious sophisticated food, with mushroom pates and vegetable purees - not heavy but very satisfyingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic truffle menurgl201VIPDined on 10/12/2014The truffle menu at Green Zebra -- a truffle-infused cream gougere; a salad with ample mushrooms and seasoned with truffle vinaigrette; goat cheese ravioli with truffles; six minute egg with vegetables and truffles, and even truffle-flavored hot cocoa (not on the menu, but offered along with it). Wine pairings (Italian wines to go with the truffles) were excellent, and they added dessert wines (moscat d'asti and also an ice-cider from Vermont) to boot. Although we reserved a table, they were very full when we arrived and had to wait a few minutes, but they comped us a glass of sparkling wine and also a delicious plate of broccoli, and were super-gracious (as usual). Although we are not vegetarians, this is one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Green ZebraGinseyDined on 10/12/2014Service and food are wonderful. I'm not a vegetarian and I never leave disappointed or hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now in my top 10napa4vacaDined on 10/12/2014Get the pumpkin soup! Green Zebra is one of the best places I've ever eaten. A food adventure - for the light and fit foodieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014Cauliflower polenta was life changing, so amazing ! Delicious food, I can't wait to go back and try other seasonal menusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, place is noisyVeggieheadDined on 10/11/2014I'm not sure the taste justify the prices. Some dishes were really good (mushroom pate and polenta) and others just okay (ramen, black bean dumplings). The waitress missed one of our orders and but instead of dealing with it discreetly, she sent a server to deal with us who wasn't exactly tactful. He apologized eventually, but for this type of dining experience, I'd expect better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it getsSFOXVIPDined on 10/11/2014We ordered the prix fixe Truffle menu with the wine pairings. Though we did add the Hens of the Woods mushroom pate, launching our meal with a dazzling start. The mini-puff with creme fraiche and truffles was light yet richly flavored. The truffle salad that followed was a well constructed bridge to the truffled six-minute scotch egg. The goat cheese ravioli adorned by truffles was the climax of the meal, while taking nothing away from the dessert, was superb. The wines chosen for the pairings were not standard issue and complemented each dish quite well. You have to admire a restaurant where the service is friendly, and attentive, without being in your face. If you feel you deserve a great evening out, Green Zebra should be your choice.Special Features:
- Vegetarian GemVegetarianGemDined on 10/10/2014Always a great place to dine for vegetarians, and non-vegetarians. Nice place, great ambiance, great service, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- truffle dinner out of this world!2plusmeDined on 10/9/2014My teenage daughter and I go here a few times a year for a special treat (away from her siblings). The truffle dinner was fabulous! GZ never disappoints and I have been coming since they opened. Wait staff and bus staff is always attentive and helpful, and there is never a long wait for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant great, but no parking.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014We loved our meal, had great service, and enjoyed the time they gave us to linger. Only complaint was lack of parking valet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truffle menu - wow!jujumuccVIPDined on 10/5/2014This special menu was one of my favorites so far! Their seasonal menus are so excellent, but their standard menu is fantastic too. Favorite dish of the night was the goat cheese ravioli with truffle - to die for! Staff is always great and the wine list is small but impressive!Special Features:
- Even my kids loves itELProfDined on 10/4/2014The first time we went, my daughter was not sure she would like it. However, she loved it, and she made a special request to come back here for her birthday dinner celebration. Food was great as always. Wish we lived closer.Special Features:
- Will turn a carnivore...samkatvicDined on 10/4/2014Fantastic.....creative, excellent, and just delicious.....Special Features:
- really, good foodDcb44Dined on 10/3/2014Even if you are not vegetarian or vegan, green zebra is still worth the trip. There are many dishes to choose from with complex flavor profiles. Green zebra has some of the best food I've had in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Among the very best in Chicago..OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014.. whether you are a vegetarian or not. I've vegetarian and non-vegetarian friends who agree and all have been back once they've been. You cannot go wrong with the chef's tasting menu. I've stopped reading it and just trust that the experience will be great.Special Features:
- one of my all time favoritesKarenDined on 10/2/2014Love this place! I am never disappointed. I'm vegetarian and this is one, if not THE best. But bring your meat eating friends, they will never miss it!Special Features:
- Great food terrible service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014We went to the green zebra for a birthday dinner. We loved the food but found the service to be terrible. We were asked to delay ordering until we all knew our entire order. Not that odd normally but very bizarre considering the entire menu is made up of small plates that are meant to be shared like dim sum or tapas. We had to ask several times for things that did not have to go thru the kitchen and in the end were joking that the waitress was scared of my sister who kept trying to get her attention unsuccessfully. I wish I felt I could go back because the food was fabulous but the service was so bad I will have to look elsewhere next time!!!Special Features:
- amazing food but poor serviceginoVIPDined on 9/22/2014waiting 10 min at check in before anyone even acknowledged us. after being seated we waiting another 15 min before a waitress came. had to flag someone down anytime we needed something. absolutely amazing food though.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceAless10Dined on 9/20/2014A friend originally suggested I visit Green Zebra for its unique dining experience and out-of-the-ordinary dishes. The restaurant did not disappoint. For starters, the cocktail drinks were very good. The food was excellent and not overly filling. 4 dishes were enough for us (2 people), which left some room for dessert. Favorite dishes were the sweet corn bisque and the risotto. I will certainly be back.Special Features:
- Too high ratingFoodloveDined on 9/12/2014Service was not friendly at all. Menu was not accommodating. Wine list/ bar not impressed. Only OK food too.Special Features:
- Anniversary at Green ZebraolivdDined on 9/12/2014We celebrated our 25th anniversary at the Green Zebra and it was a great experience! The staff were very nice, the food was delicious and we received multiple surprises for our anniversary. (Like champagne and a menu designed for our anniversary!) Overall it was a great experience and I would definitely recommend visiting the Green Zebra for a special dinner.Special Features:
- FailDisappointedDined on 9/12/2014I have been to many vegetarian resturants and this was a complete disappointment. Small portions and extremely salty food. You can have fresh quality food without over use of salt.
- A favorite date night spotalbanyparkerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Green Zebra has both an a la cart menu, as well as a tasting menu. This visit we went a la cart: Favorite: Hen of the Woods Mushroom Pate. This is a perfect starter, and maybe my favorite course of the meal. Hits: Chilled Somen Noodles, Housemade Ramen Noodles, Creamy White Corn Polenta, Twix dessert. Misses: Heirloo Summer Bean Chili; while it has a nice smokiness, this didn't do it for me. Also didn't care too much for the Fresh Cavatelli Pasta. While I like pasta al dente, it was too chewy for me. My husband did like it.Special Features:
- I would go backAnthonyDined on 9/4/2014Fantastic food and an excellent server. However, the service team is a bit disjointed: food runner brought food before the first course was finished and I shall call the busser "mister cling clang and bang". Having worked as a waiter for over 20 years, you have to try to make that much noise. However, the food is enough to bring me back. Absolutely amazing. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- LOVE THIS PLACERavensReviewDined on 8/31/2014Its not easy to make vegetarian food so unique and complex. Green Zebra does this incredibly well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always OutstandingrbbmDined on 8/31/2014GZ is not a great vegetarian restaurant; rather, GZ is a great restaurant that happens to be vegetarian. The secret is that GZ doesn't try to simulate meat flavors/textures; rather, it makes great dishes that happen to be vegetarian. The favorites from this meal: Mushroom Pate, Duck Egg, Roasted Summer Squash and Risotto. It is my favorite restaurant in Chicago and I'm not a vegetarian.Special Features:
- Vegetarian but Carnivore friendlyevanston2Dined on 8/30/2014This restaurant is amazing - it's small plates are delicious and filling and heaven for any vegan or vegetarian. Don't cross this off your list if you are a meat-eater. Even my meat-loving boyfriend considers the Green Zebra a top Chicago restaurant. Go hungry - you'll want to try everything on the menu :)Special Features:
- Still lovely!TSwanDined on 8/26/2014Dined here around 5 years ago and loved it. Came back with colleagues and had an equal or better experience. Lovely flavors, thoughtful and well balanced dishes, very substantive food even for those that are accustomed to eating the more typical protein heavy meals you find in the midwest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yuck.winkVIPDined on 8/23/2014Have had good meals there in the past, but this was very disappointing. At the end of summer, a vegetarian place should be at its best. Four of us had most of the menu. Corn soup was the only dish that was good. We won't be back.