1460 W Chicago
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
Vegetarian / VeganPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.greenzebrachicago.com/
- Phone: 3122437100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shawn McClain
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Elisabeth David 3122437100
- Special Events: Our private dining room can comfortably accommodate 10-35 people. Please contact us for further details.
- Cross Street: Greenview
- Public Transit: Blue Line, Chicago Avenue Bus, Ashland Avenue Bus
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking available on Chicago Avenue and surrounding side streets (please note: parking can be challenging when special events draw crowds to West Town)
A word from Green Zebra
Green Zebra offers a contemporary vegetarian experience in an upscale, hip environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Green Zebra reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (113)special occasion (82)romantic (62)neighborhood gem (58)notable wine list (22)good for groups (16)hot spot (15)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Too high ratingFoodloveDined on 9/12/2014Service was not friendly at all. Menu was not accommodating. Wine list/ bar not impressed. Only OK food too.Special Features:
- Anniversary at Green ZebraOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014We celebrated our 25th anniversary at the Green Zebra and it was a great experience! The staff were very nice, the food was delicious and we received multiple surprises for our anniversary. (Like champagne and a menu designed for our anniversary!) Overall it was a great experience and I would definitely recommend visiting the Green Zebra for a special dinner.Special Features:
- FailOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014I have been to many vegetarian resturants and this was a complete disappointment. Small portions and extremely salty food. You can have fresh quality food without over use of salt.
- A favorite date night spotalbanyparkerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Green Zebra has both an a la cart menu, as well as a tasting menu. This visit we went a la cart: Favorite: Hen of the Woods Mushroom Pate. This is a perfect starter, and maybe my favorite course of the meal. Hits: Chilled Somen Noodles, Housemade Ramen Noodles, Creamy White Corn Polenta, Twix dessert. Misses: Heirloo Summer Bean Chili; while it has a nice smokiness, this didn't do it for me. Also didn't care too much for the Fresh Cavatelli Pasta. While I like pasta al dente, it was too chewy for me. My husband did like it.Special Features:
- I would go backAnthonyDined on 9/4/2014Fantastic food and an excellent server. However, the service team is a bit disjointed: food runner brought food before the first course was finished and I shall call the busser "mister cling clang and bang". Having worked as a waiter for over 20 years, you have to try to make that much noise. However, the food is enough to bring me back. Absolutely amazing. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- LOVE THIS PLACERavensReviewDined on 8/31/2014Its not easy to make vegetarian food so unique and complex. Green Zebra does this incredibly well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always OutstandingrbbmDined on 8/31/2014GZ is not a great vegetarian restaurant; rather, GZ is a great restaurant that happens to be vegetarian. The secret is that GZ doesn't try to simulate meat flavors/textures; rather, it makes great dishes that happen to be vegetarian. The favorites from this meal: Mushroom Pate, Duck Egg, Roasted Summer Squash and Risotto. It is my favorite restaurant in Chicago and I'm not a vegetarian.Special Features:
- Vegetarian but Carnivore friendlyevanston2Dined on 8/30/2014This restaurant is amazing - it's small plates are delicious and filling and heaven for any vegan or vegetarian. Don't cross this off your list if you are a meat-eater. Even my meat-loving boyfriend considers the Green Zebra a top Chicago restaurant. Go hungry - you'll want to try everything on the menu :)Special Features:
- Still lovely!TSwanDined on 8/26/2014Dined here around 5 years ago and loved it. Came back with colleagues and had an equal or better experience. Lovely flavors, thoughtful and well balanced dishes, very substantive food even for those that are accustomed to eating the more typical protein heavy meals you find in the midwest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yuck.winkVIPDined on 8/23/2014Have had good meals there in the past, but this was very disappointing. At the end of summer, a vegetarian place should be at its best. Four of us had most of the menu. Corn soup was the only dish that was good. We won't be back.
- YUMMY!LovePariDined on 8/22/2014Amazingly creative and tremendously innovative. Even our meat loving guests enjoyed our fav Chicago restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and presentation!TekinikalDined on 8/15/2014Except for some disappointment with desserts, the food was excellent. White Corn Pollenta was excellent!Special Features:
- Super yummy even for a carnivor!bgroovyDined on 8/15/2014We are from out of town and I did research for nice vegitarian resturaunts for my friend who is vegitarian to cheer her up after dropping off her first child at college. Her child came as well and we all LOVED it! The food is delicious and flavorful! As my sister is vegan I have no problem going meatless and would frequent Green Zebra on my own. My friends have already decided this will be there resturaunt of choice when she comes into town for special occasions!Special Features:
- DisappointedFoodieX4VIPDined on 8/12/2014Highly recommended by a friend. Very excited and looking forward to dining here. The dining experience was wonderful. Food delicious, correct portions. Good bar and wine list. Very attentive wait staff. We were so pleased to have dined here. Yesterday, I get my credit card statement. The tip has been padded. We gave almost 20%, it was padded to be almost 25%. I have called and spoken to the manager, she said she was busy with diners and will call me back today. I was disappointed that she didn't take care of me immediately, but I'll give her 24 hours to return my call, and based on that, I will edit my review. This has happened to us before with two other restaurants. We always tip generously, sad it's happened again.Special Features:
- Excellent for allFood3loverDined on 8/12/2014You don't have to be vegetarian to enjoy this restaurant. My daughters and I are vegetarian, but my husband is not. We all thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Love the small plates so you can sample lots of different dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Vegetarian FoodvegforlifeDined on 8/8/2014Probably the best vegetarian restaurant I've been to. Really high quality food, creative dishes, and excellent combinations of flavors make this an upscale dining experience rare for vegetarian restaurants. Service is great as well. The higher prices are definitely worth the indulgence.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014Food is incredible and great ambiance!!! The mushroom pate is a must have. The key lime shortcake with avocado ice cream was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, Prepared With ImaginationCodyDined on 8/6/2014We loved our dinner at Green Zebra and will return often.Special Features:
- ChaiMamiDined on 8/3/2014We go regularly to this incredibly wonderful place. We love a lot of things about Green Zebra, including the ambience, the warmth and attentiveness of the entire staff, and the beautiful presentation of the food. We can't get over, nor enough of, the imaginative and delicious ways the chef thinks of combining and presenting ingredients and we especially enjoy the tasting menus that focus on one or a few ingredients. Most recently, we had a stellar meal around stone fruits with such dishes as saffron-infused peach panzanella and chilled golden cherry and lemongrass soup. This place is a winner and never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent food. Service a little slow -- peak times. Way too noisy. Music, which induces people to talk louder in order to be heard, is a complete waste.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting, tasty farenicknamesnotworkingDined on 8/2/2014This is a small plates venue--be prepared to spend 35$+ for a meal to fill you (plus drinks). All our food was tasty. Imaginative adaptations of basics (pasta--home made solid, cylinder-shaped, al dente; pot-stickers--wonton filled with black beans)l finely diced sauces, excellent hummus and gardinera. This is an award-winning chef and dining house--try it--you'll like it.Special Features:
- Vegan friendly!MickyDined on 7/31/2014It is not often that you find a restaurant that hits all the right notes when trying to find a place that serves a nice selection of vegan dishes and also has plenty of options for omnivores and has a nice ambiance with a great list of wines and cocktails -- and the food is fabulous. We can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/29/2014Tuesdays at Green Zebra in the summer are special. A themed tasting menu based on one key fruit or ingredient. Excellent wine a Pairings and sommelier Elizabeth is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Vegetarian Small PlatesDIYNoiseDined on 7/29/2014To start, my date and I ordered naan and two cups of soup (cream of broccoli and chickpea) all of which was served at just the right temperature. Then, we partook in the parmesan risotto and summer squash hash, both of which were excellently prepared. Overall, the service was very good and the servings, while small, were exactly what I expected from a small plate restaurant. I would definitely return for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent once againhlchicaDined on 7/28/2014We each had the special 4-course themed tasting menu, which as always we enjoyed very much: it remains a special delight to find new dishes each time, all excellent. This week's theme was far-eastern and Indian spices, quite different from anything previous, and--what can I say but repeat!--each dish surprising and each dish wonderful. (Until recently these themed tasting-menus were offered only for Tuesday evenings; the restaurant is apparently now offering each menu for an entire week, which makes it much easier to schedule one's visits to sample them all.)Special Features:
- Vegetarian and vegan foodie delightSeattleSueDined on 7/28/2014For the record, neither my husband nor I are vegatarian. Our 25 year old daughter is vegan so finding excellent food in a nice atmosphere to please all is tough. We all loved Green Zebra. I had the tasting menu along with the wine pairing which was perfect. Husband and daughter ordered a la carte and we all shared. Really creative spices but not over the top or weird. This is not fast food, our meal took 2 1/2 hours and we were not dawdling. Service was a bit slow but good. Glad our other vegan daughter and her chef boyfriend recommended it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Vegetarian CuisineVegetarianVirginDined on 7/28/2014I had seen a "Check Please" segment on PBS a couple of years ago, and thought it did not sound like a typically "sparse" vegetarian restaurant. As a new vegetarian, I am still trying to get accustomed to not having more "substantial" meals. But after the delicious, inventive, and very satisfying dinner at Green Zebra, I am thoroughly converted to the idea that being vegetarian and being well-sated are not mutually exclusive. The food choices were unique and unexpected. The cuisine was divine. The small plates concept was great. Before you know it, you have reached a satisfied state of nirvana---I was not hungry for the rest of the day. We really enjoyed our dinner at Green Zebra.Special Features:
- attentivechoctiniDined on 7/26/2014Called day before to check on reservation and also to check if we were celebrating a special occasion. Even printed a happy birthday message on menu! Great food and ambiance.Special Features:
- Slightly disappointed with foodEat3mealsDined on 7/26/2014My fiancé and I were so excited to try this restaurant since we are both foodies and he is vegetarian. But we came out of the meal a bit disappointed with the food. The popcorn they give you to sample in the beginning of the meal was stale, the bruschetta which looked like it was going to be amazing also came on stale (not toasted) bread. Some other dishes were a bit heavily seasoned (extremely salty ramen soup) but other dishes like the mushroom pate was great. So mixed review, for the money would not come back.Special Features:
- Awesome!veggiechicagoVIPDined on 7/25/2014You don't have to be vegetarian to enjoy this menu. Everything was delicious and so interesting. We did the Indian spice tasting menu and loved it. My only complaint is that the portions were too big! I felt badly not finishing such each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew.......scasagraVIPDined on 7/25/2014......that a vegetarian restaurant could be this amazing? We've been to some of the best restaurants in Chicago and this is one of them! While our waitress was not very affable, the rest of the staff was attentive and friendly, compensating for this aspect. The food was filled with wonderful flavors and was artistically presented. Wine list was small but filled with gems. Definitely returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slacker Service Mars Inventive FareOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/25/2014While the food at Green Zebra continues to delight in its inventiveness and freshness, our recent dining experience was marred by a server who barely deserves the adjective "indifferent." A brusque welcome, no opportunity to order cocktails, no checking in to see how the dishes were received -- this barely touches the service. While a rapport with one's server certainly improves the dining experience, minimal courtesies (not throwing down dessert menus, making the occasional eye contact) should be the norm. That being said, the food was as always luxuriously vegetarian with lots of vegan options. But with the choices currently available for great Chicago veggie fare, it will be a while before we return to Green Zebra.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Feast For The Eyes And PalateMargolisDined on 7/19/2014I'm taking off a star because of the hot, steamy, sauna-like atmosphere. I would eat here every day, if they would update their air conditioning system to accommodate the restaurant's cooling needs. It's like the tropics in there. The service is lackluster and unfriendly. The staff is aloof, hurried, and just plain apathetic. The management and ownership obviously perpetuates this service climate, because I've dined here for many years, read many complaints about it, and nothing ever changes. The food is sublime. We always do the chef's tasting menu. The dishes are all a feast for the eyes and palate. If you can overlook the service and comfort, you'll be fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a wonderful experiencelydiaDined on 7/19/2014We met out of town friends at GZ Saturday and really enjoyed our meal. Our favorites were the Hen of the Woods Mushroom Pate, Housemade Ramen Noodles, Black Bean Pot Stickers, Grilled Spring Asparagus and the Fresh Cavatelli Pasta. Our waitress was very knowledgeable and helpful. She helped us select a lovely Chablis. I didn't make a note to myself and have forgotten the vintner. This is a beautiful restaurant and very conversation friendly -- at least in the earlier part of the evening. It's always a special treat to dine here.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal everyone pleasedBettieSVIPDined on 7/18/2014The meal was enjoyed by all four in the group. As promised, the non-vegetarians did not feel deprived and the one who is vegan loved everything she tried. Everything was presented attractively. Nice variety of textures, colors and seasonings from the creamy polenta and risotto, slightly spicy buratta on tabuleh to the crispy black bean pot stickers. Lovely mealSpecial Features:
- EatinveganVIPDined on 7/17/2014Upscale, fine dining for vegetarians! A totally vegetarian restaurant with creative and delicious food. Many dishes can be adapted to be vegan, and there is a nice cocktail and wine list, making for a great dining experience. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to bore youhlchicaDined on 7/7/2014Difficult to say the same thing repeatedly and not grow boring: Our experience here has been uniformly excellent, period! (All more particular remarks I have made previously continue to apply.)Special Features:
- Wonderful less one star for noiseRetiredTraveler01VIPDined on 7/5/2014It is amazing how flavorful and imaginative the vegetarian dishes are, every appetizer and main entrée a true gourmet treat. The drawback is the noise level, a jet engine din that made conversation virtually impossible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect anniversary dinnerbimbiDined on 7/3/2014My husband and I decided on Green Zebra for our anniversary dinner after hearing about their independence day BBQ fixed menu, which sounded amazing! In addition to the standout food and wine pairings, we received special attention ("happy anniversary" printed on the menu, complimentary bubbly) because it was our anniversary. We were so impressed with the wonderful service and amazing attention to detail. We love Green Zebra, and will absolutely be back!!Special Features:
- Happy to be a vegetarianAvisVIPDined on 7/2/2014I've been a regular here since it opened, blazing the trail for elevated vegetarian dining in Chicago. The preparations are creative and delicious. It's virtually impossible to choose from the menu - everything is fantastic, so it's great that the concept is "small plates" and you order 3-4 per person. They also have a lovely wine list and exotic cocktail offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.