1422 Larimer Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Bar / Lounge / Bottle ServicePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.greenrussell.com/
- Phone: (303) 893-6505
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday through Thursday: 5:00pm-12:00am. Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service
- Executive Chef: Frank Bonanno
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Green Russell offers partial and full buyouts.
- Private Party Contact: Emily Schwartz 3035251702x
- Entertainment: Live jazz every Sunday and Monday from 7-11pm featuring the Scott Grove Trio and the Jean Marie Trio. No cover charge. 21+
A word from Green Russell
Green Russell is the Bonanno Concept signature drinking establishment—a good old fashioned cocktail joint with a chef at the helm. Everything about Green Russell should seem both adventurous and somehow familiar—the unusual path to our hostess, the intimacy of low seating and spacious booths; fresh takes on old cocktail favorites; elegant bar food that rises above casualContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Green Russell reviews from OpenTable diners
- Date Nightd24601Dined on 9/18/2013One night a month, my husband and I, plan a night/day for one another, which we call date night. I had heard about Green Russell from a friend and thought it would be nice. It was better then nice, it was a wonderful four hour date night!! The food was delicious and the drinks were wonderful. But, it was atmosphere that I truly enjoyed as did he. The Green Russell is tucked away, where you could be in a different time or place. Folks are encouraged to dress up and to refrain from using cell phones, and to speak intimately. The decor was comfortable and lent itself to having a romantic evening. We will be returning, especially now that they don't require reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cocktail BarOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2013Green Russell has an amazing list of cocktails. Don't be afraid to try anything on the list. I also highly recommend the Loaded Chips. They feed three or four people, and are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BBQJeneverreDined on 7/24/2013We enjoyed the happy hour specials and loved the attentive service of our waiter.Special Features:
- Great pregame cocktailsakontheroadDined on 7/20/2013Great drinks, great atmosphere. Easy to get in on weekend before 7pm. Pierogi was incredible. So were the brisket sliders. Caramel apple pie was perfect. The fine people at Visit Denver gave this to us as a reco. Brilliant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sloooooow service!CocktailConnoisseurDined on 7/16/2013We were greeted and given water right away by the bar back. The bar tender came over a minute later and asked if we had any questions about the menu and that he'd be back to take our order. We were ready a couple minutes later. We sat there and waited for TWENTY MINUTES before he returned to take our order. We were sitting in the cocktail seats across from the bar, in full view. I counted six parties, including my husband and I, of 2-4 people. The place was pretty dead. There were four people behind the bar. We were just about to get up and leave when he finally came back (after we politely stared him down) and apologized, saying he thought someone else was taking care of us....(??) Bad communication. Bad service. Good drinks though.
- I always find the bartendersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2013I always find the bartenders extremely approachable and knowledgeable at Green Russell. I provide them an example of a drink I enjoy and they always deliver the best cocktail ever. I have yet to order anything off of the drink Menu. This is not the place to go for a cheap drink or to hook up. If you want a bar that is not crowded and serves great cocktails, this is the place. They also serve Wednesday's Pies, which are amazing. Definitely make reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience however, theFun4birthdayDined on 7/5/2013Great ambience however, the bartender was very rude and condescending. All other waitstaff were greatSpecial Features:
- Speak-easy chillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2013I really like Green Russell; it's my second time going and I would go again. The "Pie Shop" entrance adds to the whole feel; they spare no detail, from the bartenders' outfits to the block of ice, you get the entire 1920s vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We would go back for the drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/15/2013We would go back for the drinks and the ambience!! The food was just so-so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting findOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2013We really enjoyed the atmosphere and decor of Green Russell. Drinks were fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2013The Green Russell is one of my favorite spots in downtown. It is a little more on the expensive side but a great place for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best cocktails of your lifeJennDined on 5/31/2013Welcome to a 1920's speakeasy in downtown Denver (lodo to be exact). Wonderful hand crafted cocktails with only the best mixes and liquors. Bartenders are more like mixologists and know how to make the cocktail you couldn't even dream of. It can get a bit warm since it's downstairs. They also have a wonderful wine list. I believe they offer a limited menu (haven't tried), I like the drinks. This is a great place to show off for a date and create that romantic atmosphere, it worked on me - maybe it will work for you. Give it a try and see.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this bar. We broughtOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/25/2013We love this bar. We brought a relative who is visiting to this bar and he raved about it. The bartender's choice drink is the way to go. I had a delicious sweet lime champagne drink. The wait staff can sometimes seem aloof, which other reviewers have mentioned, and it can be confusing as to who can take orders. Sometimes bar backs will serve water, but can't take an order. Then bartenders who aren't your specific waiter will come take an order. This didn't really bother me. The bar is still a great spot that we will visit on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun speakeasy vibe and theeatingUSAVIPDined on 5/25/2013fun speakeasy vibe and the bartenders and the cocktails they make are truly amazing. I'll be thinking about The Bitter Moon for a while! Also the food they serve is 'bar food' at its fine dining finest--rich and satisfying.Special Features:
- Amazing drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/22/2013If you want great drinks, that aren't just your ordinary cocktails, go to the Green Russel and let the bartenders work their magic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & drink, but...MarhabamegDined on 5/19/2013The food was fantastic. Cocktails, too. Beautiful interior and wonderful ambiance. However, a unnecessarily elitist bartender with a bad attitude made us want to leave $0 tip with his snide comments and over all douchebag-ness. Sadly, it gave a very negative image to the bar, especially to what I had imagined before coming.Special Features:
- AmazingAiroDined on 5/15/2013Everything about our night at Green Russell was outstanding. I will be visiting there again and bringing all my friends with me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bartender's choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/14/2013Every drink I have ordered off the menu has been great, but the bartender's choice takes the cake everytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First and only visitACollatzDined on 5/10/2013The horrible way we were treated by the management and reception staff left a very sour taste in my mouth about ever going back to The Green Russell. While the place has good drinks, the temperment of the management made it so I will NEVER be going back for another visit. Overall, the place is very overrated and too expensive for what you get.Special Features:
- Bring a FlaskLoDoDinerDined on 5/10/2013Don't come to Green Russell if you actually want table service. My party of six was reluctantly waited on when we first sat down, had empty drinks glasses on the table for 20 minutes before someone finally came by again (despite the place being almost completely devoid of other customers), and when we told the waiter we had been waiting for 20 minutes, he just gave us a blank stare and a shrug. And for that, we got to pay an automatic gratuity of 20%. The food and drinks were both excellent, but the waitstaff was completely incompetent and rude. If you are looking for a fun, speakeasy type of experience with great cocktails and a level of service befitting the price of the drinks, stick to Cruise Room and Williams & Graham.
- Boring/OverpricedtamorrisDined on 5/5/2013My wife and I read about this place and were excited to take her sister and her husband there to experience some of Denver. The place was empty, we were 4 of 7 people there. The "unique" drinks were very good tasting but we saw the other people at the bar on the way out having the same drink so it didn't feel very "unique." Overall there are much better places to get an expensive drink and decent food with much cooler atmosphere's.
- The wait staff was very aloof.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/28/2013The wait staff was very aloof. There were very few patrons in the restaurant/bar and getting service required us to move to the bar where we would be under their nose. Even then, it was a chore to get the attention of the bartender.
- This visit to Green RussellOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2013This visit to Green Russell was a bit disappointing. The "loaded chip" appetizer that we ordered was stale and the pulled pork ridiculously salty.
- Green Russell-craftsmen at work!WeDineDenverDined on 4/25/2013It would be easy to classify the Green Russell as a "speak easy" type of place. After all, you go down stairs through a door labeled "Wednesday Pie" to the hostess who takes you through doors marked DO NOT ENTER into a right-out-of-the-20's feel drinking establishment. But then comes the great part: The Bartenders (capital B intended) who are amazing craftsmen. I looked at the drink menu but decided to tell my bartender what I was looking for-which is encouraged. Bitter, spicy and bourbon based. And he did not disappoint. The spicy ingredient was strawberry jalapeno syrup. Incredible taste, incredible drink, fun and quirky place.Special Features:
- Great bartenders who willheatherVIPDined on 4/20/2013Great bartenders who will make a drink for you based on what you like, not just a few items off of a drink menu. A lot of fun, in a cool setting. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- It took over 30 minutes toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2013It took over 30 minutes to get our drinks after being sat down (without anyone checking on us). After 30 minutes, I had to ask another person to help. Won't be back.
- I love this place. It's oneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013I love this place. It's one of those places that you show off to your friends when they come into town.Special Features:
- This was a wonderful littleOmahaVeganDined on 4/13/2013This was a wonderful little find! The drinks were amazing. I ordered off the menu, my husband gave the bartender a 'suggestion' and he concocted a drink based on flavors he liked - it was incredible!Special Features:
- We had so much fun! It wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2013We had so much fun! It was almost like we had stepped back in time.Special Features:
- Great staff, amazing drinks,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2013Great staff, amazing drinks, definitely worth a visit!Special Features:
- Exceptional ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2013The drinks and atmosphere are perfect for any classy get together. The service was fantastic as the team bent over backward to make my birthday fabulous. Thank you !Special Features:
- The best!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2013Best bar in Denver!!! By far the Best service, best drinks, and best place to be with a loved one!Special Features:
- Loved the Ambiance! NeatJulysizlVIPDined on 4/6/2013Loved the Ambiance! Neat little place for drinks before going out. Waiter was not very friendly or helpful. We had never been there before and didn't offer to explain the menu or suggest drinks. Couldn't even smile. He seemed annoyed to be waiting on the four of us. Unfortunate, as he was adorable and I loved the way the waitstaff was dressed; perfect for a Speakeasy.Special Features:
- The bad attitude experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013Poor service, and wait staff ignored and were very rude at times. The knowledge of the drinks was poor and wait staff seemed to be too busy to check in. We ended up just canceling the food and last round because we were just tired of waiting. The place was not even packed! I've been to speak easy style bars around the world. This was a poor representation. Service was really bad plus so so drinks= I'll pass.
- Great place! We had the oreojaneeyre96VIPDined on 3/30/2013Great place! We had the oreo pie and it was one of the best pies I've ever eaten! The drinks were good too, but rather small. We will be back!Special Features:
- We had a great time-the barOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013We had a great time-the bar was fabulous and it is exactly what I was looking for-the bartenders choice drinks were wonderful-I would go with that any time I go back, which I will.Special Features:
- Fun, Classy, and Unique...KSUFanDined on 3/28/2013For anyone who hasn't experienced the feel of a early prohibition/ speak-easy style bar should give this place a try. Believe it or not there are many more drinks out there besides the trusty rum/coke or whiskey/ginger. They make an incredible Manhattan and Old Fashioned and can pretty much tell you anything you have ever wanted to know about booze. If you don't know what you want? No worries, tell the bartender and he will create something to your liking. Be patient as these cocktails are crafted, not thrown together. It's a great change of pace and a fun spot to go have a drink after a nice dinner with your lady.Special Features:
- Order a custom drink!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/27/2013We live in Indiana and were recommended by an Indiana bartender friend to check out this great bar in Denver, CO! We loved the experience - from when you walk in through the unique entrance, to the atmosphere, to the excellent bartenders, and the amazing food/drinks. We both started with drinks off the menu, which were excellent, but we were more impressed when we ordered custom drinks, giving the bartender simple guidelines, and the bartenders knocked it out of the park. The foie gras plate was yummy, and the spiced coffee pie was delicious, awesome crust, and a tangy filling. We would definitely come back next time we're in Denver!Special Features:
- Every time I visit Denver,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/19/2013Every time I visit Denver, I make sure to visit this place for their drinks. Adam Hodak behind the bar is a leader in the movement of artful cocktail making, recreating his own bitters from old recipes. There is even a green house behind the bar where they grow their own herbs for drinks.Special Features:
- I was not expecting the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/18/2013I was not expecting the food to be comfort BBQ. The food was delicious and the service was great. The bar was great and the speakeasy feel to the place was awesome. Definitely a good find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.