Green Land Cafe
87 Washington Street
Salem, MA 01970Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Green Land Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.greenlandcafe.com/
- Phone: 9787447766
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Late Night Menu: Sunday - Wednesday: 9:00pm - 10:00pm, Bar closes at 11:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 9:00pm - 11:00pm, Bar closes at 12:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Green Land Cafe provides Catering-to-go. All of our menu items can be prepared for small and large take away orders. Please provide a minimum of 24 hours advanced notice for large orders.
- Entertainment: "Music Nite" at Green Land Cafe. View our Calendar of Events on our website for upcoming scheduled performances.
- Cross Street: Essex Street
- Public Transit: MBTA Commuter Rail - Newburyport/Rockport Line.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are many metered parking spots along both sides of Washington Street. There is also a public parking lot and public garage just a short walk from our restaurant.
A word from Green Land Cafe
A blend of creative food and fresh thinking. When we started Green Land Café, our objective was to create a restaurant built on fresh thinking. Committed to sustainability, we developed our tapas, lunch and dinner menus to reflect the goodness of organic, locally grown and harvested ingredients. Wherever and whenever possible, our expressions of culinary excellence include fruits and vegetables from nearby farm partners, cheeses from Vermont, meats and poultry from domestic sources and seafood from New England. We continue our commitment to sustainability throughout Green Land Café by using reclaimed materials and environmentally friendly products. What we strive to do every day at Green Land Café is to offer you tasty food in a great atmosphere at a reasonable price…and to do some good along the way.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Green Land Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
- A great find in downtown Salem-OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/10/2012A great find in downtown Salem- thought the tables near the window a bit close-our neighbor commented on our plates as they were brought out- but otherwise an overall great dining experience!Special Features:
- Went there on August 7th andOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/7/2012Went there on August 7th and they were out of many items on the bar list, such as Merlot, St. Germain, many of their specialty beers, so we asked if they were closing and we were told that yes, they are closing this month. Too bad since the food was quite good.
- It was 90 degrees and thetvmannVIPDined on 8/3/2012It was 90 degrees and the restaurant was having a/c problems and our room was rather warm... Food was delicious and service was great! Thanks Brett!!!Special Features:
- Eaten there multiple timesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2012Eaten there multiple times and never have had a bad meal. Menu always changes and service is great!Special Features:
- It was our first time to GreenMDOANE007Dined on 7/21/2012It was our first time to Green Land Cafe after a friend had made the recommendation. We found the menu to offer a wide selection that appealed to our palettes making it difficult to make a choice. My grilled salmon with quinoa was quite tasty and my husband thoroughly enjoyed the haddock served with capers and parmesan risotto. We'll be back to make our way through the menu and try some tapas offerings and flatbreads the next time around!Special Features:
- Avoid this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2012After an hour of waiting our food never came. We went up to the hostess and she rudely told us that there was a party of 13 in the restaurant. This was at 9 pm on a Sunday. No apologies, didn't offer to comp our drinks. We paid for our drinks and left without eating. Very disappointed. Will not go back.
- Excellent choices for theAlksDined on 7/14/2012Excellent choices for the beer list. Will be back to sit at the bar.Special Features:
- Great food but bar needs improvemenKitcatDined on 7/13/2012The food is always outstanding and the space is great inside. My only serious complaint is the bar. The bartenders are way too slow for the amount of service needed. One bartender specifically is way into his own stuff and takes way too long trying to make his drinks special and meanwhile there are loads of people WAITING WAY too long for drinks. We have experienced this many times and sometimes we will go somewhere else because the bar service is so slow (even while you are sitting at a table). Every time we go our appetizers arrive before our drinks. HUH?? I hope the new owner fixes this problem and he will have a thriving business just like Cala's and Hale Street!Special Features:
- The food was nothing special,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/1/2012The food was nothing special, despite the wonderful descriptions. We waited for over 45 minutes for anything other than water to be served. And the place was not crowded when we arrived. They were excellent about filling water glasses! Would not return.
- Can't be a 10 all the time...kathymanelisVIPDined on 6/15/2012We've eaten at Green Land Cafe before and it was excellent. Tonight it, again, impressed my husband, but me....not so much. Tonight we started with a warm tapas of walnut encrusted goat cheese with a pineapple confit. It was very bland and we couldn't taste any walnuts. One needed the confit for flavor. My husband had the veal chop and he said that it was excellent. I had the spring vegetable couscous which had red peppers, asparagus, and goat cheese. It was good but lacked a wow factor. We were in a hurry to get to the movies, so we didn't go for any dessert. We need to go back as this evening's dinner was only so-so. The Very Good rating really stems from the past....not tonight.Special Features:
- Lunch was a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2012For lunch, my friend had the portabella wrap which was good. My California turkey, avocado, blue cheese panini, my selection, was terrible. Bland and boring. The turkey was dry, there were only two small slices of avocado, and the bleu cheese was not on the plate. The waitress got some but is was only crumbled bleu cheese, not a dressing. The panini was boring - just white French bread with grill marks on it.
- Excellent burgers, desiccatedJennyGDined on 6/3/2012Excellent burgers, desiccated omelettes, abysmal service. I would give it a C+.
- We visited the Green LandOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/27/2012We visited the Green Land Cafe for the first time recently, drawn by its vegetarian options and its emphasis on local and organic food. It was outstanding. We wish it had been a little warmer outside, as there was a very attractive outdoor seating area in back of the restaurant. For an appetizer, we split an eggplant-and-pesto dish. We ordered two entrees: Mushroom Ravioli Carbonara and Wild Mushroom and Asparagus Fettuccini. We were favorably impressed with everything that was served, as well as with the service and the dining room itself.Special Features:
- Good and Good For YouOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/25/2012Don't let all that locally grown / organic talk scare you away. This place has great food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Our experience was just okay.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/20/2012Our experience was just okay. Although our waiter was attentive, the food took a really long time to come to us. The food was adequate but nothing really special. I would not order the eggs Benedict again.
- Local gem.CainDined on 5/19/2012Great experience this time around. Great service, very good food that is locally sourced, and the cocktails were well made. A nice casual fine dining place, but without booths and dim lighting doesn't carry as a romantic night out.Special Features:
- Third visit since opening.MikeDined on 5/13/2012Third visit since opening. First was a casual visit outside, second was Valentine's Day, third was Mother's Day. Enough said wife enjoys coming here for special occasions. They mark the glutten free items which helps my daughter. Service is always excellent. I had the prime rib thought it excellent.Special Features:
- The Mother's Day brunch wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012The Mother's Day brunch was mediocre and very expensive. We have often eaten at the Greenland Cafe and the food has been terrific and the prices reasonable but the brunch did not live up to our expectations and was exceedingly expensive.Special Features:
- I went for mother's day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012I went for mother's day brunch buffet. They didn't fill some of the food back up especially the bacon and fruit salad. The carving station gave very thin slices of meat.The desserts were very good and the best part of the buffet. I felt this restaurant may be better for lunch or dinner but not for buffets. So I may need to try it again.
- Don't go for brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2012I've come to The Green Land Cafe multiple times for dinner and one previous time for brunch. Every previous meal there was great, but there Mother's Day buffet brunch was atrocious. Poor overall service. Low quality food options. Disappointing is an understatement. While dinner at Green Land has always been great, don't go there for a buffet brunch. It's not even worth half of what they charge.
- some of the food on the buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012some of the food on the buffet were luke warm to cold
- We went here for our weddingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2012We went here for our wedding anniversary and were pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed ourselves. Our waiter was especially helpful, and I really enjoyed him. He helped us with many of our choices, mainly drinks. Try the brussels sprouts tapas dish -- it was a highlight of the evening. We also had red pepper hummus (smokey and just the right number of pita chips to finish the dish). I had the Cajun Grouper which was recommended by the server and was really, really good. My husband had the pork chop, which he found to be fine, but his favorite part were the drinks he tried: Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale (you could taste the bourbon) and a smokey drink called Noche Verde that was unique and appealing -- definitely a sipper, thougSpecial Features:
- Tappas were wonderful. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2012Tappas were wonderful. The variety of vegetarian and vegan options appealled greatly to me - it's hard to find that many choices.Special Features:
- My wife and I loved the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/28/2012My wife and I loved the food and service! Everything was terrific. My only criticism is that the environment was a bit loud. Perhaps too many tables and not enough breathing space. But overall, I would highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Ive been coming here for aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2012Ive been coming here for a while. Had a small gathering for a friends birthday and everything was perfect!Special Features:
- Don't go therePaulVIPDined on 4/20/2012The entire meal was a disaster. Our table wasn't ready. Apparently, they gave the party that was seated at our table a time limit (???) and they failed to clear out in time. The hostess suggested we wait at the bar. The bartender gave us drink menus and then disappeared. After about 10 minutes another bartender took our order. It took about 25 minutes to get 4 drinks. We went to our table. We ordered 3 of the same meal. They only had 1 serving. The substitute meal for the other 2 looked as if the entree (haddock) had been cut in half and split between the 2 plates. There was 1 order for soup. We never got it. Ditto for a drink later in the meal. Bad food. Bad service. The people seated around us looked just as annoyed. We will never go back
- We have returned to GreenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/15/2012We have returned to Green Land Cafe several times because it is good, and we like it.Special Features:
- We decided to have Tapas forOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/14/2012We decided to have Tapas for dinner and enjoyed a delighful meal that the 3 of us shared. Our waiter, Mike, was outstanding and made a couple of great suggestions. We especially appreciated him teling us we had ordered too much food and he was right. The food was delicious and the servings were fine to share with 3 people. I don't get up to Salem much but would gladly come back to Green Land Cafe.
- This was our first time toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/8/2012This was our first time to Green Land Cafe, and I just found it on the internet. Worth the hour drive we made, the atmosphere was inviting and calm, the food was out of this world, (especially for a buffet)(My boyfriend is still raving about the cheesecake bites) We will return..... Salem is a day-cation spot for us and we now found our lunch/dinner or even another brunch spot... Thank you to all the staff, they were great... Matt, our bartender, while we waited for our table, was very gracious....Special Features:
- Brunch foods are hard to keepOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/8/2012Brunch foods are hard to keep consistently warm, do we recognize tihis. The surprising thing about the Easter brunch? There wasn't a visible sign of Easter anywhere. Not a jelly bean, bunny, or even fresh flowers. It could have been ANY Sunday, and that detract from the occasion.Special Features:
- The Haddock Picatta and GrouperOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2012The Haddock Picatta and Grouper were fishy, it was a bummer.
- This restaurant has a greatluvtheoxDined on 4/6/2012This restaurant has a great menu with a great atmosphere, we loved the tapas choices. it is our favorite local restaurant!Special Features:
- Went to dinner on a Sat nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/31/2012Went to dinner on a Sat night (3 adults, 3 kids). Service was excellent, bar had a terrific martini selection, high-energy atmosphere (good for adults, and parents need not worry about energetic children). Food selection was very good- we chose to make an entire meal from a wide variety of appetizers and tapas menu. Food quality was above average, but not particularly noteworthy for foodies looking for something exotic. Great location downtown.Special Features:
- I've yet to have a bad mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2012I've yet to have a bad meal here ... always fresh and yummy. Loved the music and atmosphere. Made date night, feel like a really great date night:)Special Features:
- Waiter makes the nightJoeDevDined on 3/23/20121. We found the food to be very good appetizer portions were a little small but still outstanding quality. The scallops could have had a little more sear on them but the sauce was delicious. Dinner portions were good size and the quality was very good. What stood out was our waiter Mike. He was very knowledgeable of the food and the proper drink parings. Mike made what was a good night a great night.Special Features:
- excellent variety of wellMojoVIPDined on 3/18/2012excellent variety of well prepared dishes. Notable craft beer selection.Special Features:
- Made the reservation throughOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/17/2012Made the reservation through Open Table which worked out great and was so convenient! My son's birthday was on St. Patrick's Day and we told him to pick any place he wanted to have dinner and he chose Green Land Cafe. My son had been there before and enjoyed his previous visit. Open Table confirmed our reservation, and Greenland Cafe also contacted us to confirm as well. (through e-mail) Our son and the rest of our party were not disappointed! The food, service and atmosphere really lived up to the occassion. I would enthusiastically recommend not only Greenland Cafe, but also making reservations with Open Table as well.Special Features:
- Our new favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/17/2012Loved Green Land Cafe. We went in with zero expectations but came out huge fans of this place. The service was great -- very nice staff from the hostess, manager, bartender and server. They were all very attentive and went out of their way to make us feel welcome without being obnoxious. The food was amazing. The four of us in our party each got different dinners and shared two appetizers. The drinks were great and very reasonably priced. I've been to several nice restaurants in Boston and the surrounding area, and my husband and I agreed that Green Land Cafe was among the best. Thank you Green Land Cafe for a truly enjoyable evening. We will happily take the drive to Salem soon to dine with you again.
- Great food and service andloverofgoodfoodDined on 3/17/2012Great food and service and the back room is very quiet.Special Features:
- Great Atmosphere and Tapas!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/16/2012We went to Green Land to hear an old friend play the blues. A group of six had a great table right by the window on the street. We had fun cocktails and EXCELLENT Tapas. Eggplant, Calamari, Edamane, Shrimp, Advocado and Crab, were some of the tapas we tried. All were excellent. A few had entrees, and one had clam chowder. Really enjoyed the food with excellent service. The only thing is we would have liked to be able to see our friend playing the blues, it's really not set up all that well for that, but we ended up grabbing a table after dinner where we could see and hear better. I would highly recommend. There was a wine list but I really don't know a lot about wine to comment on that. Very fun nite out!Special Features: