Greek Taverna - Montclair
292 Bloomfield Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07603Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
Greek Taverna - Montclair
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.greektavernausa.com/
- Phone: 9737462280
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday, Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Delivery, Takeout
- Special Events: Anyone who makes a reservation at Greek Taverna Montclair, between August 25 and September 09, will get a gourmet gift from us, for our 5th anniversary. A set of Giada de Laurentis spices. Sicilian sea salt with fresh lemon zest and Tuscan herb mix. Thank you for support.
A word from Greek Taverna - Montclair
Set in the suburban splendor of Upper Montclair New Jersey, the culinary prowess of Executive Chef Emelio Simone is what gives Greek Taverna its deserved acclaim. Exquisite selection of fresh fish and seafood as well as a fine selection of carnivorous delights. Complete your fine dining experience with a wonderful assortment of authentic Greek Desserts to top off the evening. BYOB and local liquor store will deliver, Takeout, Delivery, Outdoor seating, Private room, catering.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Greek Taverna - Montclair - Best Restaurants in Montclair ›
Greek Taverna - Montclair reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (14)kid-friendly (9)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (8)special occasion (7)great for outdoor dining (6)romantic (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Beyond disappointingLove2GotorestaurantsVIPDined on 8/29/2014Food was terrible- all our dishes (chicken souvlaki, swordfish, hummus, etc) were bland and tasteless. Service was embarrassingly bad. Waitress came back twice to ask what one of us ordered. It was arctic char. When it came, it was lamb chops. The rest us had finished eating by the time the replacement meal came and it wasn't even arctic char-it was salmon steak.. Manager made no effort to make it right.
- Great RestaurantGreekTaverna2014Dined on 8/11/2014The parking is such a welcome change for the area. Easy! The food was delicious. Our server was great with impecable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food, great serviceJeanDined on 8/2/2014We had a great meal at Greek Taverna. Our appetizers-- grilled calamari and a goat cheese and fig dish-- were so plentiful and delicious that we could barely eat our main course. But our main course was delicious too. I had grilled pork chops, my husband had a lamb dish. The service was excellent, attentive but not overly solicitous. I couldn't decide between two sides, and when my meal came, I felt some regret that I hadn't chosen the other, and the host brought me the other side free of charge. I enjoyed it very much, and would most definitely come back.Special Features:
- How do you say exceptional in GreekjazzjerryVIPDined on 7/27/2014Greek Taverna is an exceptional restaurant on all counts. The food is outstanding. My wife had the lamb chops that were terrific. I tried an appetizer of baked cheese with apricots and almonds, very rich and wonderful. It really served as dessert. Portions were plentiful. A large salad was enough for four. Service was very friendly and helpful. The server seemed sincere in wanting us to be satisfied. The restaurant is roomy with options for outdoor seating. finally there is free parking. We know that Montclair offers many choices for good dining but it would be hard to beat what the Taverna haas to offer. Definitely a must visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodCaro712Dined on 7/21/2014Perfect restaurant for great food at reasonable prices and with large enough portions to easily share dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodSlabbyVIPDined on 7/18/2014We go out to eat for great food and for ambiance. Greek Taverna at least has one of them. We ordered the Shrimp Saganaki and it was really good, very tasty. The only problem is that it had only 4 shrimp and the app was $16. WOW! Pretty expensive. We've had the same dish at another greek place and they had a ton of shrimp at half the price. I had the chicken breast platter, which was great. Loved it! And my date had the chicken soulvaki dish and she loved it too. Both almost the same dish but they were made very well. Hers had a greek salad and some spinakopita, mine had pita and potato slices with lemon and spices. AWESOME! The ambiance was not that great. No table clothes and the tables were light color, should be a deeper look.Special Features:
- Opa!sjadadVIPDined on 7/9/2014Went to Greek Taverna for lunch at about 1:30 pm on a Wednesday in July. We were one of two tables with diners so it was quiet. The food was great! Very fresh and authentic. We plan to return for dinner in the near future.Special Features:
- It gets better and betterHappy7VIPDined on 7/5/2014We have been to Greek Taverna a few times, but this time was outstanding. Because it was a birthday occasion, we ordered the Taverna Chips and the Seafood Grilled appetizer for Two. The chips were hot and crispy, even better than the last time we ordered them and the seafood appetizer was amazing. The grilled octopus was tender and with a subtle smoky taste. The calamari and shrimp were not overcooked. It was an enormous portion and one person commented that she would love to have just that for an appetizer. The moussaka was delicious and more than enough for two meals. The kabobs were tender, juicy and served on rice with a lemony flavor. Service was attentive and prompt. We will be back!Special Features:
- GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/2/2014We have eaten here many times and have never been disappointed with the food or outstanding service. Thanks to Vanessa and others we had great time celebrating a birthday and wedding anniversary. Thank you.Special Features:
- Cannot Hear Yourself ThinkZoneDined on 6/20/2014Noise=Fair Rating as Opposed to Good. One of our party wears a hearing aid. Appetizers are the way to go, although the fish at the next table looked superb.Special Features:
- Get the grillProvechoDined on 6/16/2014OK menu but the grill here is the star. Any grilled fish, though expensive, is usually quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fathers Day DinnersteveDined on 6/15/2014We took our kids and grandkids to this restaurant and could not have asked for any better service and good food. The person who sat us took our appetizer order and although he forgot to place the order he made it up by giving us the most delicious assortment of desserts!! Everyone was very pleasant and we would certainly go back again!!Special Features:
- Great dinner, great serviceJerseyKVIPDined on 6/14/2014Excellent food in a warm and energetic atmosphere. Semi-private table was provided for our group of 8. Service was attentive, friendly and professional. Great NJ wine available by the bottle. This is a Montclair favorite destination for us.Special Features:
- RegularsVIPDined on 6/12/2014Never disappointed in the Taverna. Always excellent food served by a personable staff, including the owner. In a food-centric town like Montclair, the Taverna is a standout. Plus they have a parking lot (yes, that's a big deal).Special Features:
- Nice menuLetseatVIPDined on 5/30/2014The usual Greek findings on the menu. The shish-ka-bob was very good and the orzo with lamb was excellent. Portions are very large and if allowed should be shared. Also grilled shrimp appy was great. Took food home.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceGuestDined on 5/18/2014Great place with huge portions. Friendly staff, good service. We enjoyed our meal and many left-overs to bring home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceMonicaHDined on 5/16/2014Service was sooo bad but food was good. They were not attentive to our needs. Never came to check in. After ordering our entrees it took 1 hour to get our food. We ordered hummus and they said they were going to bring us pita bread, our waitress forgot and never came back. So the hummus was just sitting there for a good 20 mins until we flagged down the unattentive waitress who didn't even apologize for not bringing the pita bread. The place is byob so when we got there we asked 2 waiters for an ice bucket for our wine to which both replied "I don't know, I'm new". Seriously?!
- Good ExperiencebartlovesmusselsDined on 5/13/2014Came here on an off night, Tuesday evening. Restaurant was pretty empty and it seemed that there was only one waitress for all the tables. Responsiveness could have been better as it took fairly long to go through the payment process (requesting check and then waiting on waitress to charge credit card). I sat in the restaurant for about 2 hours with one other person when I feel like I could have been in and out in about an hour and 15 minutes. Food was pretty good. The fish at all the Greek Taverna places are always winners. Sauteed mussels are nice as well. A little more pricey than it should be if you ask me.Special Features:
- Great, fresh MediterraneanMontclairdesignmomDined on 5/11/2014Consistently fresh, flavorful food. Never been disappointed. Ambiance is not great but space us large & casual so great for groups & kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/20146 of us went for my son's birthday - food was delicious - portions huge - we all took home leftovers. Being of Greek heritage i found the food as good as any home cooked meals would go to againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 178 reviews are from the Greek Taverna - Montclair reviews archive.
- Free Parking!Caro712Dined on 4/23/2014In Montclair parking has become a big issue. Having a free parking lot with a restaurant is fantastic! The food is great and there is usually no problem getting last minute reservations. The portions are big enough for sharing.Special Features:
- GreatOutfun50Dined on 4/20/2014Great food outstanding service, waiter couldn't be any better, always enjoy going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of GreeceSteveDined on 4/12/2014Feel of family - run business. Excellent food and commitment to service. The char - grilled bass was as good as it gets. The pikilia, especially the eggplant dip was very tasty. Highly recommend this restaurant. Perhaps a bit noisy, but the ambience was good in spite of that. BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Mussels were INSANE! AllDocZeusVIPDined on 4/5/2014The Mussels were INSANE! All the food was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service but noisyTwinMomGetsOutDined on 3/29/2014Great food and friendly waiters. Unusual and attractive decor. Be ready for a big noisy room though. Kid friendly but i saw penty of plenty of people who seemed to be on dates. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Restaurant with Large PortionsCaro712Dined on 3/29/2014It was the most crowded I have ever seen and on a very cold, rainy day. It seems the rest of the community has discovered what we already new. This is a great restaurant with large portions enough to share and good food with a big free parking lot. In downtown Montclair that is priceless!Special Features:
- good food, not so good serviceLindaDined on 3/22/2014The food was great, but this time at the restaurant, the service was slow, not attentive and somewhat disorganized. We have eaten here before and the service was very good. This time wasn't great. However, this is a very good restaurant and would recommend it.Special Features:
- Good Greek foodfoodie875Dined on 3/8/2014Food was good and we were able to get a table on a busy Saturday night. They also have parking, which is key in MontclairSpecial Features:
- Second time not a CharmLuv2eat45VIPDined on 3/1/2014Went to the Greek Taverna on a Saturday night and was disappointed after having a great experience during a lunch outing during the week recently. All aspects of the night was uneventful. Service, food, and noise level was not good. Would never go back on a Saturday night and possible stick with lunch when the place is empty. The true sign of a good restaurant is when it's crowded and this place failed. The salad was too salty with too much feta cheese, the pita bread wasn't cooked enough, my chicken platter temperature was not consistent, and the potatoes had some slices cooked and some not browned at all. Talk about night and day from my first visit.Special Features:
- Food quality variedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014I ordered a $24 shrimp meal and my friend got a featured Greek dish. We shared a goat cheese and apricot appetizer which was great. My shrimp was a good size but all 6 shrimp were tough and the sauce it was served in was so-so. It seemed to have been reheated. My friend said her meal was good. Portions were large.Special Features:
- Great for early Saturday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2014Were there early with my family, eight of us. Haloumi, loukanikos, seafood platter, grilled calamari, cheese saganaki for appetizers are a must. Lamb chops, moussaka, lavraki, grilled vegetables, chicken souvlaki, salmon, and shrimps, completed our meal, we had no room for dessert. Our family love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Greek Food in Areafoodies88Dined on 2/26/2014We've eaten at many Greek restaurants in the Montclair/Bloomfield area and the Greek Taverna in Montclair is by far the best. The cold appetizer platter for two fed three of us with leftovers. We ate the grilled lamb chops and they were simply delicious. It's very hard not to over-order because everything sounds and tastes great but the portion sizes are very big so use restraint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time and ExcellentLuv2eat45VIPDined on 2/18/2014This was my first time going to Greek Taverna and everything was excellent. Great good, good ambiance, and good service. Definitely plan on coming back in a few weeks if not sooner. The best chicken wrap I ever had and potatoes right on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant surprisegreekDined on 2/14/2014While I thought the service was a bit slow, I found the food to be very good. The tzatiki was amazing and my chicken souvlaki dish was great as well. If I find myself back in Montclair I will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good solid Greek food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014We went here for valentines day and we have dined here before. Since it was a holiday The service was a little off but once our waitress came she definitely made up for it and couldn't have been nicer. We split the Greek salad always a great choice and then I had the chicken skewers and my husband had the Bronzini type fish. Was very good!!! This place is no frills, not too romantic but enough to make it a special dining Experience. Love that they have there own parking lot a major plus!!Special Features:
- Valentine's Day Success!BeerAndPancakesDined on 2/14/2014I surprised my wife with reservations to Greek Taverna for Valentine's Day, and she was quite pleased with my selection. The good, the bad, and the ugly: the food is REALLY GOOD. It was really loud (bad acoustics and high patron occupancy on Valentine's day). The service was a little uncoordinated because there were so many couples were there for the holiday. I don't think that the service would be like that all the time, it was just a really high traffic day on Valentine's day. Having said all of that, the "ugly" wasn't that ugly! I am rather impressed that they were able to service so many tables so effectively on this important day.Special Features:
- The service was poor and weOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The service was poor and we were ignored for most of the night. Our food was mediocre at best.
- Greek Taverna - MontclairJerryDined on 2/8/2014We had been there once before but it was worse this time - much worse. Although we had an early (5:30) reservation, the service was poor. Took a long time to take our orders and in both appetizers and main course, the food was not all delivered at the same time. The portions were much to large, and the food generally lacked flavor. The steaks were fair, but I ordered swordfish and it was clearly frozen and awful. I sent my dish back uneaten. Normally if you give your plate back with nothing eaten, they will ask if there was a problem but at Greek Taverna they couldn't be bothered. I also sent them an email the next day to which they did no respond. I will not go back to this restaurant and will not recommend it to friends.
- The noise, noise, noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2014The food was very good although overpriced. The service was good. We were seated, however, at a front table where there was lots of activity and noise. The restaurant is very noisy and it is hard to have a conversation. I will have second thoughts about ever returning on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- Greek FoodsteveDined on 1/5/2014was very very good with large portions….we could barely get through the appetizer and brought a lot of leftovers home for dinner the next night!!! would definitely go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.