Greek Taverna - Edgewater
55 The Promenade
Edgewater, NJ 07020Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
Greek Taverna - Edgewater
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.greektavernausa.com/
- Phone: (201) 945-8998
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Delivery, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, View
- Catering: We can cater to any size party whether it be a corporate or private affair.
A word from Greek Taverna - Edgewater
Amazing NYC skyline views accompanied by the delightful culinary delights straight from the Islands of Greece. Explore the mouth watering Mediterranean cuisine anchored by appetizing seafood dishes or please your palate with our mouth watering meat and poultry selections. Finish off your evening and tempt your palate with our ethnic homemade desserts.BYOB and local liquor store will deliver, Takeout, Delivery, Outdoor Seating with a NYC viewContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
Greek Taverna - Edgewater - Best Restaurants in Edgewater ›
Greek Taverna - Edgewater reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (11)great for outdoor dining (10)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (8)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- CastleDined on 11/15/2014As usual, a wonderful meal with great service. Everything is fresh. Salad and appetizer were sizeable and delicious. We (4) all had fish or seafood served with a Greek vegetable side of your choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balancing Service and TimeEatoualotVIPDined on 11/15/2014Great food, fast delivery to table - but then repeated attempts to clear the table before we had time to eat. Didn't seem overbooked, so no obvious reason to try and get everyone out the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Levreki and Calamari was greatMacaroniDined on 10/16/2014This was my sevond time here, their desets and food are delicious, service was fast enough for a half-full restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedElizDined on 10/11/2014I have been to this restaurant several times, the only problem I ever had was some of the wait staff was not the best, but the food has always been good. Well our waiter on Saturday was a bit arrogant, but good until he took the check from us & we said thank you, it was over 20%, he disregarded us. My friend & I had left over food, when I got home the next day I realized that two shrimp were missing from my Shrimp Sol. The menu said Jumbo shrimp, they were large at best for $24.50. I called the rest. to let them know, the manager Peter said to let him know when I dine there again. At $75. for the meal we had, maybe take out but I would definitely think twice about dine in. He should have offered me something to keep my bus.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationJerseygirlDined on 10/10/2014The food was very good. The prices are very reasonable and portions are perfect size. I would recommend and I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014My lamb souvlaki was dry and overcooked. The lettuce greens on my plate were brown and wilted. Other diners in my party seemed satisfied with their food.
- Everything was okayAimzaVIPDined on 9/19/2014Food was good. Portions were decent. Tables are close together and it is very loud.Special Features:
- Greeters should greet!GazzaDined on 8/31/2014We've been here many times and always look forward to going back. On my OpenTable reservation I made a note requesting a window table. The greeter was less than friendly when I told him we had made a reservation online requesting a window table. He seemed annoyed and led us to a non-window table. We noticed the two two-place window tables were occupied. No problem; some you win, some you lose. The greeter was either distracted or didn't want to listen. Either way, if you're going to greet your customers at least try to be a little friendly. Getting the brush off like we did left a sour feeling and made us wonder why we'd want to go back. The young waiter did help make up for the initial frost with his friendly, helpful, cheerful attitude.Special Features:
- Greek Grill GemfoodpinionDined on 8/20/2014Best Greek Grill and always reliable. Our local favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pmccroskpmccroskVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food is surprisingly good....especially the sauteed mussels. Not fancy or pretentious, but very well prepared standard Greek favorites.
- The usual and unusual Greek foodDiva1Dined on 8/10/2014Quality Greek food. Wrapped Taverna Salmon, a specialty, is excellent. Attentive staff.Special Features:
- Great restaurant, but.....BubblesVIPDined on 8/1/2014Really enjoyed eating here, but it was not what I would call leisurely dining. The meal was way too rushed and when we mentioned it to the waiter he argued with us instead of just apologizing. If he had kept his just kept his mouth shut the whole incident would have been forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 71 reviews are from the Greek Taverna - Edgewater reviews archive.
- Amazing Grilled SeafoodaldodefrancoDined on 7/13/2014I never had in US a grilled fish that taste like fish... Usually fish in America taste like chicken ... Or worst like nothing. Finally I found a place where I can eat great fish feeling like in Greece or in Italy .... Amazing food, amazing appertisers, octopus was amazing as we'll the grilled squid.... The king/queen was the Dorada that my wife ordered was perfect grilled whole fish. Keep going like this. Service was ok the waitress was "tired" or not well trained... But with this food I did not care at all.Special Features:
- Great Food !diana156VIPDined on 6/20/2014Fish was very good ! They ran of the Salmon which is my favorite, so I had the Branzini ,Special Features:
- GreatFisherVIPDined on 5/1/2014I have been here several times. I think the food is getting better over time, if possible. I enjoy the specials. Great flavors.. Great tiramisu. Love the beets.Special Features:
- thoughtsfoodieVIPDined on 4/26/2014food and service were great. i appreciate how accommodating you were in adding an extra seat at our table and then adding a table. excellent customer service on that piece. we were charged for refills on iced teas-not told that would happen-and wasn't expected until I saw the bill. I have eaten here 4 times in the past 3 weeks and not one time was I charged for refills. as a matter of fact, one time the waiter brought out a pitcher to refill the glasses - no charge. so when I asked this time as to why the charge, I was told it was the policy. I should have been told that was the practice when I asked for a refill. when i questioned it on the bill, I was told that was the policy. Unfortunately, it was not my previous experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pmccroskpmccroskVIPDined on 4/25/2014large Greek restaurant in upscale setting over Hudson River. Food is authentic and well prepared but not innovative. Service is efficient but indifferent. Overall impression, was of a large Greek cafeteria.
- Consistantly greatIbirdDined on 3/29/2014Always enjoy my grilled octopus---had a bit of a different presentation which was a nice change to a always good dishSpecial Features:
- Take Me To The River - Greek StyleHMJFINEDINEDined on 3/29/2014This great Greek restaurant adjacent to the Hudson River serves up outstanding dishes, great service, and a lively atmosphere. We were a party of six that ordered the octopus salad, seafood salad, mussels, and the grilled shrimp. The four dishes were plenty for six people. The fish entrees were also great. We ordered Lavraki and Dorado and both were outstanding. Some of the others ordered the same. We brought our own wine to round out the evening. We will certainly go back and will certainly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We never have a bad meal,ihatenicknamesVIPDined on 3/29/2014We never have a bad meal, no matter what we order. The salads are always fresh and the food well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great dinner withBinkieDined on 3/15/2014We had a great dinner with friends the other evening. Service was friendly and prompt. We shared a delicious appetizer of middle eastern dishes which were appealing. The fish is always a good dish with many choices and preparations. The salmon wrapped in grape leaves was one of our favorites. There are many choices for those who wish to have steak. and lamb. the greek custard dessert was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graet food priced reasonably!RaphyDined on 3/8/2014We've been coming to this place many times over the past 5 years. The food is tasty, fresh and the service is great! I definitely recommend the salmon wrapped in vine leaves. Too bad they don't have the Greek Yogurt...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek diningSharonDined on 2/22/2014Food fresh & delicious. Wine selection small but inexpensive. Staff couldn't be friendlier or more knowledgeable about the dishes. Come here regularly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- As many times as we eat here,ihatenicknamesVIPDined on 2/22/2014As many times as we eat here, you'd think we might get bored--but not so. They are always surprising us with new things to try. Tonight it was a crab-cakes special. They were fabulous. Added to our regular favorites: tsatiki, horiatiki salad, lamb chops, and many others, we always have a fabulous meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our FAVES!WWCitizenVIPDined on 2/19/2014This is one of our favorite places to go for dinner and we order deliver from them as well. Great food, fantastic service, feels like home. Anna is typically our server and she's wonderfully attentive, welcoming, and helpful. She makes the experience of eating there all that more special. The grill is fantastic. The fish selections are always very good (bronzinos, bass, lavraki, etc.). The dolmadakias are magic as are all the spreads - beyond just hummus. You simply must try the grilled seafood appetizer platter for two. It's divine. Great place and highly recommended! (DO.NOT.FORGET to try the cheesecake baklava - amazing!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodbartlovesmusselsDined on 2/14/2014Restaurant had really good food. Kitchen is open which was a nice touch. It is the type of place to bring family and friends, setting isn't romantic. Some things I didn't like about the place are the small amount of distance between tables and noise. If there are people sitting at the table right next to you you can hear their conversation easily. I give the restaurant a 9/10 because the food was really great and service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've said it before and I'llihatenicknamesVIPDined on 1/26/2014I've said it before and I'll say it again: Greek Taverna is our go-to restaurant in Edgewater This time we shared the lamb shank special with orzo and feta which was FABULOUS! The salads are the freshest--our favorite is horiatiki. And on a cold day, Greek-style chicken soup cannot be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC as Always!vjdantoneVIPDined on 1/19/2014Was in NJ visiting daughter and we always make it a point to stop at the Greek Taverna before leaving - the food is SO good and wonderfully prepared! Get the mussels appetizer - it could easily be a meal and more than enough for 3 people to share - BUT who would WANT to! You can't go wrong with any of their home made desserts - and a word of advice - eat slowly so you'll have room. Yes, the Greek Taverna is that great and I can't wait to get back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well DoneABH13VIPDined on 12/7/2013Big salads, huge choice of hot and cold appetizers, great fish.Special Features:
- Casual diningjoyceKVIPDined on 11/25/2013Lovely Greek restaurant with casual atmosphere. Salad was crisp & delicious with plenty of feta cheese &'delicious olives. I had the shrimp on skewers which we're flavored well. My husband thought his chicken on skewers could have been more flavorful. All in all, the food was good & we would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's like being in GreeceIbirdDined on 11/2/2013We eat here once a month. The food is great and does make me feel as I am back visiting Greece. Plus it's BYOSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always enjoy the GreekihatenicknamesVIPDined on 10/5/2013We always enjoy the Greek Taverna. The salads are fresh; I love the baba ganoush and the tsatsiki. For our table of 7 we had lamb chops, pork chops, a cowboy steak and lavraki(grilled fish). And of course the fabulous Greek fries. It was all delicious as it always is. The service is always friendly; we feel very at-home here. It is our go-to restaurant.Special Features:
- Food and service were excellent.foodieVIPDined on 9/6/2013Food and service were excellent. Honored reservations in a timely manner.Special Features:
- love TavernajbebDined on 8/30/2013We love the food at Taverna Perfect grill whole fish - boned or unboned. Great beat salad and appetizers. We are always happy when we eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellent, large portionsWoodyVIPDined on 8/24/2013Food excellent, large portions and great service. Outdoor dining gem.Special Features:
- Greek at its best!RaphyDined on 8/16/2013We have been frequent visitors to this neighborhood gem! Food is good, reasonably pricedand nice view of NYC. We love their Salmon wrapped in grape leaves! It's a pity they never have the typical Greek yogurt for dessert...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spontaneous MondayWWCitizenVIPDined on 8/12/2013We rarely go here on a Monday, but we had the place to ourselves! (No one goes out to dinner on Monday night in this area much). Great service, but we didn't have our regular server, Anna, who is amazing. The seafood platter was superb as usual and the whole grilled snapper was HUGE and very tasty! It was my birthday dinner and the waiter served me a surprise Baklava - delicious! HIGHLY recommend this place.Special Features:
- As always, the food and serviceihatenicknamesVIPDined on 8/10/2013As always, the food and service at this restaurant are great. The salads are always fresh. We are always given clean plates after each course which is nice so that you don't have to mix your tsatsiki with your cowboy steak! The menu is diverse enough that we are still trying new things after these many years. This time it was the grilled calamari--grilled to perfection and plentiful. I look forward to next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service faultdavidVIPDined on 8/4/2013how is that prepared?, I asked. the very pleasant young server did not know what the question meant. after explanation, she responded, "I think it's grilled." I informed her that lamb shanks cannot be grilled and asked her to find out more information on the dish. she returned and shared that they were, in fact, "stewed" and served with oysters. incredulous, I pressed her to discover that oysters, not orzo, was the word for the little Greek pasta. live and learn... our friend wanted to order what I had eaten on our last visit, so I asked whether a certain lamb dish was served in a crock. "I don't know, " the server responded.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Perfect!RaphyDined on 7/29/2013We've been visiting this restaurant quite frequently over the past 2 years as we love Greek food... The food is consistently good- Fresh and tasty! The place is not fancy but definitely nice atmosphere and young crowd... It's Bring Your Own wine...- which is great... Portions are large so I definitely recommend having 1 starter and 1 main course for... I recommend the salmon wrapped in grape leaves...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.