Greek Islands Grill
15410 New Hampshire Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20905Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
Greek Islands Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.greekislandsgrill.com/
- Phone: 3018797600
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday: 9:00am - 11:00am
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Greek Islands Grill
Owners Agie Ziotis and Christina Xenohristos invite you to get lost in a labyrinth of traditional Greek dishes with a twist. Submit to the Siren song of fresh flounder stuffed with spinach and feta cheese, or be thunderstruck by the Lamb Giouvetsi -- oven-baked and served over orzo in a red sauce. Then, wash down an a-meze-ing mix of appetizers with a glass of Kourtaki Retsina while listening to live Greek music on Thursday nights.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Greek Islands Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)great for outdoor dining (4)good for groups (4)fit for foodies (3)romantic (2)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Delightful Family EstablishmentEnjoygoodfood2Dined on 9/19/2014My husband and I have been dining here for many years. We moved out of the neighborhood, but travel extra miles for the great food and welcoming atmosphere. Favorites: the savory avgolemono soup, the tangy tarama dip, the best hummus anywhere, light and flaky spanakopita, flaming cheese saganaki and veggie moussaka (like lasagna, but much better). Enjoy a carafe of retsina with dinner on the patio for a romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014We recently moved to the neighborhood and Greek Islands Grill was a recommendation from a friend. We went for dinner and took some friends along. I have never experienced such a warm welcome in a restaurant! The service was great and the servers were friendly, they even changed the TV channel to a football game we were interested in watching which was very thoughtful. We ordered appetizers and main courses and the timing for the food coming out was perfect. When we declined dessert because we were just too full the server brought us some baklava on the house. Needless to say it was the best baklava I have ever had. Not too sweet and very flavorful. The food was excellent all around. Truly a neighborhood gem that we will visit often!Special Features:
- Beautiful Greek Island experienceAcewoozyDined on 7/18/2014Wonderful fresh Greek flavors. ALL courses were a delight. And the service was flawless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 21 reviews are from the Greek Islands Grill reviews archive.
- Not fancy, but pretty goodPickyDinerVIPDined on 6/21/2014This is not a "night out" restaurant, more like a Greek version of the local short-order. That said, the food is mostly really good. One big drawback - the kitchen doesn't seem to know what to do with vegetables. Each time we've been there, the salad was drowning in vinegar and the "vegetable of the day" was overcooked (may have been canned) green beans with tomatoes that everyone left on the plate. On the other hand, the mezze are all terrific (LOVED the octopus), the spanakopita, pastitsio, and moussaka worth coming back for, and the baklava was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice to find...debbDined on 6/15/2014a restaurant in the suburbs that isn't a boring chain and that has delicious food with character. The spanikopita was outstanding, fresh and not at all heavy. I liked the fries with feta and tzaziki. The fresh bread was warm and tasty. We enjoyed sitting outside, and our server was lovely, helpful and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An authentic Greek tavernaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/30/2014We lived in Greece for 2 years (we're not Greek) and this place is as close as we've come to an authentic taverna. We brought our 2 kids with us (2 and 4) and they loved it as well. We sat outside on the private shaded patio on a beautiful day. Fresh seafood delivery day is Friday. Everything we tried was wonderful except the octopus was tough. I suggest the restaurant use baby octopus instead. The huge slice of baklava for desert was the best we've had in the US. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpricedCharlieDined on 5/18/2014While the ambience and staff were perfectly acceptable, the food was fair. The soup was served almost cold, and the Greek Moussaka was nothing special ( and cold.) The green beans were seriously over cooked. I shared this information with the server. The best thing was the baklava, which was made there in the restaurant. This would be a perfect place if you wanted to have coffee and baklava or just a Greek salad. The cost of the meal was extremely overpriced for what was provided. If I just wanted dessert and coffee, or a Greek salad I would consider returning for those.Special Features:
- Good First TimeDCdaughter1Dined on 5/17/2014I chose Greek Islands Grill for the good reviews, the varied menu, and its proximity to my guests. My friends and I were greeted by our server. We began with Greek olives with feta. The house salads and the entrees can quickly after the appetizer. My friends enjoyed kebabs and veggie moussaka while I had the pecan encrusted trout. Between courses, our server checked in on us and even told us an amusing story. The desserts topped the meal off especially the chocolate fudge cake. The bottle of wine we had ordered at the beginning, held its own with each course. On our way out, we asked about the change in table set up. Our server explained that the restaurant has a weekend brunch. That's something to keep in mind.Special Features:
- Great!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Great restaurant and even better waitress and service. We loved it. Not too mention the food was great!!!Special Features:
- Great food.aaajDined on 4/25/2014The food here is always great! I had the chicken shish kabob - char grilled and delicious. The bread was warm and toasty. And we had delicious salad. I have also gone to the buffets, here, and they are outstanding.Special Features:
- Always good foodKim080808VIPDined on 4/10/2014We sat outside just to welcome in the Spring. Good food. Good service. We had a nice early dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All I'd hoped forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2014I had read prior reviews and decided to give it a try for a rare Saturday date night with my fiancee. I love Greek food and wanted something authentic but not overpriced...I like paying for good food and service, but not for glitz, glamor and hype with average food and bad service. Our date was awesome - the food was authentic and succulent. The service was exceptional. And the ambiance was right for our needs - a little bit of a crowd, but well dispersed so as to not bee too noisy, but also not feel like we were the only ones there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014One of our favorites. Great food and atmosphere, friendly staff. Just fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great night at Greek islandRowdaddyVIPDined on 1/18/2014This was our third time at the Greek Island Grill and we had a great time again. I thought that my food was not quite as good as the previous 2 times but still very good. The other 3 in my party were well pleased. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining - NearbymburrowsDined on 11/22/2013We discovered Greek Islands Grill while searching Opentable for nearby restaurants. I never saw it here before. This was our first vist. It was delightful. Great servers made the evening especialy pleasant. The food was great and the Greek wine was a nice plus.Special Features:
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2013Growing up in a multi-ethnic area I love Greek food. This food is great..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, good serviceRowdaddyVIPDined on 10/4/2013Had a great time. We are going back this weekend for more. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I ordered the combinationLisaVIPDined on 9/21/2013I ordered the combination platter - Great portion sizes & very good food!Special Features:
- Why you can't dine in the suburbsSMJ1949VIPDined on 5/11/2013We get carry out frequently from Greek Islands, and this was the last time we'll eat here. The noise level was a din. There were at least four infants at various tables, all screaming and out of control. We waited 15 minutes for our server (?) to appear. She must be related to the owners, as there is no other way to explain her having a job. She was nasty, abrupt, inept and uncaring, until the end of the meal, when she became solicitous of a tip. In some deference to her, the restaurant is badly understaffed. The chicken souvlaki was good. The gyro platter tasted like left over dog food. Fish was decent. Wine list poor, but expensive Save the time and money - skip this placeSpecial Features:
- Beware if using couponsdavehVIPDined on 5/10/2013Enjoyed the food and the service was good, but there was an issue when paying the bill. Used an OpenTable reservation and also had an on-line discount coupon. Management refused the coupon stating that OpenTable policy supports their position of not accepting discount coupons when also using an OpenTable reservation. OpenTable rules allow for additional coupons if it is a 100 Award Point reservation. That does not apply if it is a 1.000 Point Award. Forwarded the rules to the restaurant, but they declined to answer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Greek Food!Enjoygoodfood2Dined on 5/5/2013Arrive hungry. Start with the savory appetizers - Greek Spread Combo (Hummus, Tarama, Tzatziki and Skordalia with warm pita bread), Cheese Saganaki (they set the cheese on fire at the table!), Dolmades (stuffed grape leaves). My husband's favorite is the Avgolemono soup (lemony goodness). My favorite is the Spanakopita (phyllo is perfect). My best friend's favorite is the Mousaka (choice of beef or veggie). Vegetarians have many delicious choices. Try the Retsina by the glass or carafe. If someone at the table is not fond of Greek food (what?), there are Italian and seafood options as well. The staff is friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Yummy... Try it and you willOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/3/2013Yummy... Try it and you will be pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We tried this restaurant becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/3/2013We tried this restaurant because we had a groupon and even though there are no restrictions stated on the groupon, they would not take it because we used open table. The food was great, and we will be back to use the groupon, but we felt that was unfair because it did not state that restriction.Special Features:
- Local Favorite wins over fancyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013This is one of our favorite restaurants. We decided to go here for Valentine's day instead of a place downtown that was way more expensive and had shakey reviews. Cancelled the reservation there and came here.Special Features: