One West Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60601Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.greatstreetchicago.com/
- Phone: 3127953333
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 11:30am;
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: James Samson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Special Events: Let our sales coordinator plan your perfect celebratory or business event. Ring 312.795.3331 for your customized experience
- Cross Street: Wacker & State
- Public Transit: Conveniently located on the corner of State & Wacker. Lake Street and Red Line stations located directly behind the hotels back entrance
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: For all restaurant discoverers, there is $23.00 valet parking for 3 hours. Tickets will be validated in the restaurant. Prices subject to change.
A word from Great Street
A fresh take on Loop dining, Great Street combines picturesque views, sensational local flavors and a vibrant downtown to deliver a true taste of Chicago.Continued
Regional and seasonal creations fill the menu at this modern classic restaurant, enticing guests to return time and again.
Regional and seasonal creations fill the menu at this modern classic restaurant, enticing guests to return time and again.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Great Street - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Loop ›
Great Street reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (21)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (8)good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (4)romantic (3)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- wonderful experienceluv2VIPDined on 10/11/2014We dined here in spite of the mixed reviews. Pleasantly surprised. Good service, delicious pasta dishes, generous hanger steak, perfectly tart lime bombe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gteat Street not so greatmaaeatsDined on 9/19/2014First the positive. Amazing views and close to theatres and shopping. Food just mediocre, nothing special and few choices. Service inattentive and it was very empty, perhaps they were all working the lunch meeting. Not sure if I'll go back.Special Features:
- Great for lunchthrazVIPDined on 9/11/2014Great for lunch, good view of the river, good service, it should be a lot more crowded but suffers from being much harder to find than other options in the area. Still, it guarantees you a table at lunch, not always so easy downtown at places that are both inexpensive enough for a casual lunch and good enough for a business lunch.Special Features:
- Nice BreakfastTGrayckoDined on 8/24/2014The service was efficient and the view was nice. I wish there had been a bit more of a selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasedtbearDined on 7/26/2014for a sat night....only a few tables taken....we enjoyed the music and the food and wineSpecial Features:
- Saturday Night at Great StreetcntrygirlinthebigcityDined on 7/26/2014We arrived a half hour early for our reservation, but that was not an issue, as the dining room was completely empty. I asked for the best seat in the house and we were given a table with a beautiful view. We were able to sit and enjoy the ambiance without feeling pressured to move along. It never got crowded so the noise level was non-existent. Food was delicious, the beet salad was to die for, if you like beets. Main course was tasty as well. Two of us had the pork chop which was tasty on the palate, one had the chicken with rice and the other had the skirt steak. No complaints, we all got the clean plate award. Ordered dessert, flourless chocolate mousse cake was small but rich and delicious, fruit triffle was large enough for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Theatre RestaurantTheatredinerDined on 7/23/2014Went to see Motown the Musical at the Oriental for a 7:30 show. Got to the restaurant at 5:45 and had a relaxing delicious meal with plenty of time to spare.Special Features:
- Don't Love Changed MenuluncherVIPDined on 7/21/2014I used to frequent Great Street a great deal. They recently changed their menu (not sure why, as i thought it was great before). I've tried two things and did not like either. I recently had the tuna appetizer. It was laden with garlic -- no mention of that on the menu and if it had been mentioned i would have passed. It was also goopy. Not a great choice. The smoked salmon salad also didn't work for me. It would be much better with seared salmon, as the rest of the ingredients just didn't work with the smoked salmon. Really should bring back the mushroom flat bread! It was outstanding. Sadly, not sure how quickly i will return.
- Great for Sunday BrunchTrentonWayDined on 7/20/2014Originally I was going to meet my cousin downtown for Brunch and at the last minute I had two unexpected guests, age 6 and 7. So, we changed sites to Great Street and were very pleasantly surprised by the food quality of this brunch. Everything was excellent! Even the scrambled eggs on the buffet were outstanding. I would go there again in a minute - especially if I was to bring young children. They loved it - the yogurt, the hard boiled eggs, and the waffles are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd floor restaurant, a hidden gem!IndianababeDined on 7/18/2014This restaurant is located on the second floor of the Renaissance Hotel. It was not crowded. My guess is that many people are unaware of its existence. The price for our meal was very reasonable for a downtown Loop establishment. One of us had salmon and one of us had a beef dish. Both were excellent! This place offers a nice view of the Chicago river and a very relaxing atmosphere. We informed our waiter that were needed to be at the Oriental Theatre by 7:30 pm and he happily accommodated our time restrictions. Great dining experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/16/2014nice atmosphere, waiter wasn't as attentive as we would have liked because of time constraint (pre-musical). one order was messed up, had to wait while other people ate. food good, but pork chop undercooked.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/16/2014Our group really enjoyed dining here before going to see Motown. It is very convenient to the theater district. Wonderful view on a gorgeous day. Our chicken dinners were excellent. The service was a bit slow knowing that we were going to the concert, but all went well. Would go back again.Special Features:
- 5 StarsLove2eatDined on 7/9/2014Loved the food, presentation scenic view and service. Went before seeing a play. Actually, I almost enjoyed my experience here as much as I enjoyed the play. Best kept secret. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hotel Restaurant with a Viewmary228Dined on 7/2/2014The place was virtually empty at noon on a recent weekday. Service was quite slow perhaps due to a group event in the adjacent private dining room. Prices are quite reasonable given the location. The fresh seafood was very good and the imaginative pizza delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice business lunchgoodfoodDined on 6/27/2014My guests complimented the salmon and I enjoyed my salad. This was a good venue for a business lunch and is very convenient to businesses in the loop. This restaurant deserves more business during lunch.Special Features:
- The great RoomJamesDined on 6/22/2014It is always an excellent dining experience , the food is excellent, the service staff are personable , very friendly, and very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 380 reviews are from the Great Street reviews archive.
- nice surpriseGator60Dined on 6/20/2014I was in Chicago on business, and found this place online. I was very surprising experience there, because, while it was a Friday evening at 7PM, in downtown Chicago, in a place with a really nice view and great food, there were maybe two other diners there the whole evening. We had great service, probably because they had nothing else to do. Both I and my companion were very happy with our appetizers and entrees. We were too stuffed for dessert. Overall, it was a really nice time.Special Features:
- Closed for BusinessOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014I had a dinner reservation on June 14 for my family to celebrate my son's graduation. We wanted to enjoy the view and a good meal. The restaurant confirmed my reservation, but then closed for a private wedding. They never notified me about the closing, Their plan was to seat us in the lobby bar on the first floor for dinner. And to top it off, when I tried to call that very day to make sure we were on, no one ever answered their phone.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/9/2014Skeptical entering large empty room at 6 pm but was pleasantly surprised at quality of food and wine the wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shyboyDined on 6/7/2014This is convenient to the theatre district, but has a long way to go to become a destination. The waiter was just okay and there were few people dining, yet service was slow. The food and beverage manager was great. Because he knew the service was fair, he brought comp desserts to keep us happy. That was a nice touch. Hope it gets better with time.Special Features:
- Hidden GemUniqueatsDined on 6/7/2014While we walked right past it as there was no signage, we were sure we were going to be disappointed. After we were redirected we entered the restaurant to find no one to seat us and an empty restaurant. Finally we were greeted by a friendly older waiter who took care of us well. In twenty minutes the restaurant finally started to get business. All in all the menu items were very original and delicious. The view of the city was spectacular.Special Features:
- okayBillDined on 6/5/2014great location and view of Chicago River. Food is adequate. I would like this place better for breakfast or brunch.Special Features:
- Great view of the riverDebbieDined on 6/4/2014Good service and food was really good. Love the view of the river and people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet dining with a nice viewTealDined on 5/30/2014Great Street proved to be a good dining choice for the four of us. It was close to the Goodman Theatre where we were heading after dinner. The restaurant offered very nice views of the Chicago river and busy Wacker Drive and had good ambience. The food was good, although the menu is a bit limited; the service was good and attentive; and the prices were reasonable. Everyone in my party was quite satisfied with their entree choice. I was surprised how empty the restaurant was at the time we were there (6:30 pm reservations on a Friday evening), but that worked well in our favor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice surprise!HeidiVIPDined on 5/25/2014Needed a quick dinner on a Sunday night pre-theatre. There wasn't a lot of staff because there weren't many people. I was pretty surprised. It is a great place to have a drink and apps or dinner and look out onto the river. Would be great for St. Patrick's Day. The food was surprisingly delicious, and I was with a gluten-free diner who raved as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food with a view.NanobelVIPDined on 5/24/2014good food with a great view of State and Walker. Enjoyed watching memorial day parade while dining. View of skyline and river were very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceCuse7Dined on 5/14/2014Wonderful service with accomplished wait staff. We were not rushed and had a delightful dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014no bread service, disappointing. Linen table cloths for dinner would have dressed the room up. It was ok, all the tables around the windows were occupied when we left at 7:15 on a Saturday. not crowded.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food ChoiceMarkDined on 4/30/2014The waiter suggested the Tuna Sandwich special. The quality of the tuna and the presentation were excellent. Sadly, the service was not near the level of the food. Once the food was served no one refilled the water, asked with we would like anything additional to drink. When lunch was was finished it took several minutes to have the table cleared. Lastly, it took another 5 minutes or so to track down someone to bring the check. Great food, great view, but not a place for a business or special lunch.Special Features:
- aliwilDined on 4/29/2014good food for when you are going to a theatre. Close to the theatre district and can get reasonably priced meals.Special Features:
- Very nice!LoriDined on 4/25/2014It was our first time dining at Great Street and we enjoyed it very much! Beautiful views and the food and service was great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/22/2014Pre concert dinner. Slow, slow service. Duck special was served not at temp requested and without sauce. Ribeye was ok, crock o' spuds needs replacing. Better spot for lunch than dinner. Shame, nice view.Special Features:
- All food orders were wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/10/2014All food orders were wonderful. Disappointed there was no complimentary bread service available.Special Features:
- Not too specialscscVIPDined on 3/27/2014This restaurant is in the Hotel, but has not improved from 'hotel' fare as others have. We had to wait for someone to appear to show us to a table. The place was so empty I did not even say we had a reservation (it was a waitress who seated us, not a hostess) The service we great but the food was average, but priced above average.
- Great RestaurantJerrymDined on 3/15/2014I come to Chicago often but had never eaten at Great Street before. I followed OpenTable's recommendation and had a great dinner with a great view at a very reasonable price for Downtown Chicago. We had dinner the day of the St Patrick's Day Parade and I had the Corned Beef special. I am Irish and have never had a better prepared and tasting corned beef dish. The service was friendly and impeccably performed. I have already recommended Great Street to friends that live outside of Chicago who also had not previously had the pleasure of eating there. I unequivocally recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luck of the IrishKeenwaDined on 3/15/2014Booked with Open Table 4 days before the Event, requesting a window seat. The seating area has huge windows facing the Chicago river. I booked for 10 AM then also called the mgr saying "we NEED" a window table. Arrived 45 min before the EVENT: watching the Chicago River turn green at 9:30 AM. It was like having a warm box seat for the event while thousands stood 4 deep on the bridges in the cold. So fun! Did have to wait about 15 minutes for a table to clear....then got the best in the house by 9:45. The waiter recommended the $25 buffet and it was varied, fresh and the omelet I requested was very very good. I thank Open Table and staff at Great Street for giving us such a memorable (and tasty) mid-morning experience on St Patrick's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night in the CitypeteDined on 3/12/2014We went here prior to the Jennifer Nettles concert and needless to say, when we got there at 5:30 (yes I know its early) it was empty. While this made for a great table and quiet conversation, it was a bit alarming to say the least. But the food was very good and the view was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real treat!LinwallaceDined on 3/9/2014Wanted a restaurant close to Chicago Theater - couldn't get much closer. But what a pleasant treat - GREAT view of the river and iconic Chicago buildings, unique but limited menu (a lot of meat dishes and we don't eat meat), good wine. And all this at reasonable prices! A great find!Special Features:
- The food was great! Not manyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/24/2014The food was great! Not many people in the restaurant, great ambiance and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic views, good place to meetTryThisMaybeVIPDined on 2/19/2014Good for business lunch & breakfast with fantastic views of Chicago & the river. Goodlace to meet for business breakfasts or lunches, or before going to theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.