Great Scott Oakley
3355 Madison Rd.
Cincinnati, OH 45209Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Great Scott Oakley
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://greatscottoakley.com/
- Phone: 5135333456
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Scott Elsaesser
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Many small room options and Wine Room large dining option. Parties of 15 or more are required to use a credit card deposit.
- Private Party Contact: Manager on Duty 5135333456
A word from Great Scott Oakley
Great Scott Restaurant specializes in fresh made food and an impressive beer and wine list in a comfortable setting. Enjoy fresh seafood, steaks, huge entree salads and more.The concept has been around for 7 years and is family owned and operated.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Great Scott Oakley reviews from OpenTable diners
- This restaurant has greatClaraandJimVIPDined on 4/8/2013This restaurant has great traditional European food (schnitzel).Special Features:
- Almost empty. Our waiter wasWmSWVIPDined on 4/7/2013Almost empty. Our waiter was the manager, who was very attentive. Despite the name, the food was mostly German and mostly fried- schnitzels and potato pancakes, fried fish, onion rings etc. Also sausage platters with sauerkraut . The onion rings were spectacular. The schnitzels were huge hot and crispy. Food was generally good but it was like eating in a mausoleum, a very quiet dark one.
- Great menu, lots of choices.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013Great menu, lots of choices. We were in the mood for German food, which was excellent. Come hungry, as the portion sizes are huge! Friendly staff with great service.Special Features:
- Our first visistSalvadorVIPDined on 4/5/2013Nick's used to be there and I am glad they re-opened as Great Scott! they are going to need a little bit of help so people know that they are there, but if you goHave the Pot Roast (Outstanding) accompanied by some Shiraz, my wife had Schnitzle ( I don't know if I am spelling it correctly). anyhow, give it a chance, we really like itprobably best for couples or groups of adults, I wouldn't call it a family place, but so what. I recomend it. the service was very nice and personable and they are very generous with their portionsSpecial Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013I had a wonderful time! The food was excellent and the service was fantastic! I will certainly return! This was my second time at this location although I had been at the other location twice before the Oakley restaurant opened. I prefer the Oakley location as it is closer to where I live!Special Features:
- Went with my daughter andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/4/2013Went with my daughter and her fiancé on a Thursday night. Not very busy or crowded. Food was over cooked and the calamari appetizer was greasy and served with too many french fries. It was over priced , too. Would not recommend
- Went with a group from CrossroadsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2013Went with a group from Crossroads church across the street and they were great about accomodating our large group. Reasonable prices and lots of variety on the menu. Large portions.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/28/2013The food and service were very good. Good size portions and reasonable price.Special Features:
- The Red Hat group loved theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/27/2013The Red Hat group loved the ambiance, the service and the food. We had a great time.Special Features:
- Helpful, pleasant place forRobbyDined on 3/17/2013Helpful, pleasant place for Mom's 95th birthday. Downside was the food. I have had good food here before, but on this day their "corned beef and cabbage" st Pat's day special was almost uneatable for my Mom. Undercooked vegetables, and potatoes, overlooked leathery corned beef luncheon meat slices. The cabbage was good. When I got home to Virginia my husband had saved me some corned beef and cabbage dinner he had made!Special Features:
- A great find! The food wasXmanVIPDined on 3/16/2013A great find! The food was great (portions are large) and the beer list is very impressive.
- The server originally broughtcincyjeffVIPDined on 3/2/2013The server originally brought the wrong dish to me but my wife's order was correct. While my wife was happy with her food, when my order did arrive it was very heavy in texture, deep fried and had way to much cheese and salt. The portion size was huge. I could only eat a small portion and did not even take the rest home (rare for me). So be sure to talk to the server when ordering about food preferences (good advice at any restaurant). The server was very apologetic and to his credit did make an adjustment on the bill.
- Arnold...I'll be back.ThefamilyDined on 3/1/2013Wow, great menu. Love that they have a German and American style food. Service was great. Food was very good and hot. If you like beer, you'll love the selections. Will be going back for sure.Special Features:
- This was our first time atBabybDined on 2/23/2013This was our first time at he restaurant. They have kept the decor from previous owners which gives that neighborhood, intimate feeling. The cozy atmosphere was nice for an evening out with friends. The Chilean Sea Bass special was delicious and the slaw accompanying it had a fresh dressing with a little kick at the end going well with the sweetness of the bass. The Mets were very good from the German section of the menu. Our waitress was delightful and attentiveness was right on the mark. Great Scott will definitely stay on our list.Special Features:
- Good lunch...great service...easyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2013Good lunch...great service...easy to carry on a conversationSpecial Features:
- I have no idea what just happenedMarkVegas65VIPDined on 2/14/2013Definitely will not go back, very disappointed. Menu was all over the place, German, Italian, Mexican, English. I'm guessing their specialty is German since one side of the menu was dedicated to German cuisine, but no sauerkraut balls? The food was just ok, good but nothing really stood out with the wow factor. Our server was polite and attentive but needs a little help pouring wine. She spilled it on the table, not just a small drop, dribbled it from one side of the table to the other and just left, didn't even wipe it up. Experiences like this are helpful, you know where not to return.
- 02/14/13 Valentine dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013The service was good. We didn't have to wait although we had reservations. The server was excellent; very attentive. Had the potato cake for appetizer:really good. Dinner was good; just alittle on the salty side. I would recommend but advise when ordering to make food isn't salted as much.Special Features:
- Overall the feel was thatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Overall the feel was that it should be more of a pub than a restaurant. The food was just ok, but pretty dissappointing for the price. If they changed things up a bit, I think it could be a great place, but if you are going to spend $20 a plate, I'd find somewhere else to go.
- I had been to Great ScottluvinitDined on 2/14/2013I had been to Great Scott once before and found it good, if not exceptional. The food was tasty and plentiful. I had the roasted chicken on the Oktoberfest menu. This time, however, I ordered the "roast pork" which turned out to be thick grilled boneless pork chops (I know the difference between that and a pork roast). They were tough and somewhat dry. The service was great, but the food could use improvement. My friend had the seafood pasta (which also was different than expected since it was also ravioli). He said it was ok, but didn't rave about it. Maybe their menu is too eclectic...all sorts of cuisines from German to Italian to even a little Asian. It could be a really nice place if the quality of the food was improved a little.Special Features:
- Food and ambiance were excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Food and ambiance were excellent. Our waiter was outstanding. He provided excellent suggestions, great service, and was extremely attentive. Great beer selection also. I highly recommend Great Scott and will be returning soon.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the Food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013Enjoyed the Food and service. Will go back for another visit in the future
- We had a very enjoyable dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/9/2013We had a very enjoyable dinner. Food was great. Enough to take home for lunch the next day. Service was excellent Prompt. We will definitely go back again
- Food was just so-so. I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/8/2013Food was just so-so. I had the pork loin & it was flavorless. Just smothered in apples & craisins. The veggies were soggy. This restaurant has a ton of potential. The staff were friendly, yet untrained, and the decor was homey. I'd love it if they'd get someone who can be creative in the kitchen. We'd be back for sure.
- Good food, and cute littleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/2/2013Good food, and cute little spot, but they make a big deal out of their beer selection and were out of everything we wanted to drink!! Probably wouldn't go backSpecial Features:
- Afternoon Mushy Burger - NODiner45VIPDined on 2/2/2013Late afternoon is clearly NOT the time to go to Great Scott Oakley. It was dead as a doornail at 3:30 pm on a Saturday afternoon. One other table in the whole joint. Regardless - here's the good stuff. Our server was fantastic. She was attentive, timely, informed, and thoughtful. She anticipated our needs and was super sweet. She was a great server. Highly recommend her! Here's the bad stuff. We go get burgers on Saturdays. It's sort of our thing. I ordered the bourbon glazed burger - and was pretty excited about it. It was mushy. When I bit it on one side, the burger mushed out the back. I only ate half of it. And the fries were seasoned. I understand some people prefer seasoned fries - I am not one of them.
- Good food, not good ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/29/2013My wife and I chose to dine, for the first time, at Great Scott before a Broadway show at the Aronoff. We usually chose a downtown restaurant for convenience and because we enjoy good food in a place with great ambiance. To save time, we decided not to do a downtown restaurant and instead try Great Scott, as we live nearby. We had high hopes for a similarly good culinary and ambiance experience. The food was good, we did enjoy every bite, but the ambiance leaves a lot to be desired. This restaurant has a identity problem; apparently it can't tell if it wants to be a nice restaurant with fine food or a neighborhood bar. The decor is old and very dated, and the music was bar music (rock, country, etc.). Food was very good.Special Features:
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2013This was our second visit to Great Scott. Our first visit was outstanding and felt it would be the same for our second. The hostess didn't seem to understand that we had reservations in the dining room and wanted to seat us in the bar. We did get a booth and enjoyed it. Then the problems. When asking for the list of beers on tap we we informed that the CO2 was broken so no tap beer. I ordered a glass of Chardonnay, well they promptly ran out of all Chardonnay. In addition despite have Linenkuegal beer on the menu, they actually don't carry it. The food was very good but the menu not nearly as robust as our prior visit. Found it odd to still have an Oktoberfest menu in January! We all agreed we will give it another chance.Special Features:
- You will have leftovers!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/18/2013We had a great evening at Great Scott. The staff was friendly, informative and fun. We had the chance to meet Laura, one of the owners, and talk about the beer club. Look for a wine club coming soon, perhaps. Good food and atmosphere. The portions are very generous!Special Features:
- Had a little private roomCarolPmsVIPDined on 1/12/2013Had a little private room in the back for our party of 12 (would have liked a round table.) Had excellent service -- never rushed, very friendly, not hovering. Portions were plentiful -- all came hot & within reasonable time of each other. Will return.Special Features:
- We had a few issues with serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012We had a few issues with service upon arrival. Although we had a reservation and the place looked empty we had to wait for a table because they were "out of menus". Luckily, the wait was not long and the food was good. We had the fish and chips and the chicken marsala with portabella mushroom ravioli. The atmosphere was definitely lacking. Decor was bland with lighting that was a little too bright. Would visit again to try another dish from their interesting menu.
- Nice atmosphere but very poorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Nice atmosphere but very poor service. Even though we made reservations, our hostess gave us a hard time being seated at a table even though we made a reservation. She wanted us at the bar because more reservations on the way and wanted to have room for those people. The servers were nice but must have been short staffed. Our appetizer never came after many attempts to get it. We never received silverware once our food arrived late. A fellow customer got it for us. Their table had been waiting about 20 minutes without even being able to order their food. Not at all worth the price for a dinner out.
- The potato Pancakes were excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2012The potato Pancakes were excellent and serving size was plenty for two to share the menu offered a wide variety of choices Our Server was very knowledgable on the Beer selections Service was fastSpecial Features:
- We had a great evening theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2012We had a great evening the service and food was greatSpecial Features:
- This restaurant was cute,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2012This restaurant was cute, but the food was very salty and oversized. Staff was friendly, but not worth returning to.Special Features:
- The servers are always soBarbVIPDined on 12/24/2012The servers are always so friendly and accommodating and the food was excellent for a moderately-priced restaurant!Special Features:
- The service was really good;OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2012The service was really good; table ready when expected. Food was disappointing though. Also, there were gifts left for 2 of our 4 people that did not get received. All in all, I will not return, mainly because the food was not as good as expected. Our gifts were left by my daughter and were placed behind the bar. We did not receive them and my daughter had to return 2 days later to retrieve them. I am sorry, but your restaurant is not nearly as well run nor is the food prepared as well as Great Scott in the Withamsville/Amelia area and I don't believe we will return.Special Features:
- We had such high hopes foroldfogiesVIPDined on 12/23/2012We had such high hopes for this restautant when it first opened. we went there frequently until a couple of months ago, when the service and food quality took a nose dive. One exception recently was a birthday party. The service (by John) was wonderful, as always, and everyone in the group of 12 had a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- we were a party of 3 and weOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/23/2012we were a party of 3 and we all thoroughly enjoyed our dinners - I had some left overs and they were great heated up. Our waiter was great- sincere and was there when we needed him -definitely will be back - this was my second timeSpecial Features:
- Other than the black beanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/22/2012Other than the black bean soup, which was excellent the rest of my experience was not even close to good. Even though I had made reservations, we were sat in the bar area with 5 people at a table barely big enough for 3. We were served with no silverware. We ordered a bowl of chili but received a cup and one meal received mashed potatoes instead of french fries. The pub steak we ordered was overcooked (was supposed to be med rare), cold and hard as a rock. The server said she would come back to ask if it was cooked to the right temp., never did, she was very frendly though. The chicken fingers were a little greasy and did not have much flavor. Oktoberfest menu dinners were average and you were out of Bavarian Pretzels, Ugh!
- A local pub with interestingLuckyJackDined on 12/21/2012A local pub with interesting menu items. Larger parties may be a challenge for the kitchen.