Great Plains Cattle Company - Ameristar Casino
3200 North Ameristar Drive
Kansas City, MO 64161Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Great Plains Cattle Company - Ameristar Casino
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ameristar.com/Kansas_City_Dining_Great_Plains_Cattle_Co.aspx
- Phone: (816) 414-7420
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Bobby Bailey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Elegant private dining seating up to 40 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Rasheed Maazouz 8164147420x
A word from Great Plains Cattle Company - Ameristar Casino
With its soaring main dining area, with weathered crossbeams of old barn timber and wagon-wheel chandeliers, the Great Plains Cattle Company at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City pays homage to the rough-and-ready past of the American West. But the experience of dining here, in seats of distressed leather and among classic western art, is unexpectedly refined. Choose from such favorites as our Campfire Shrimp, Cedar Plank Salmon and Trail Boss Rib Eye -- and don’t forget to peruse our well-chosen wine list. A private dining room is available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Great Plains Cattle Company - Ameristar Casino - Best Restaurants in Kansas City ›
Great Plains Cattle Company - Ameristar Casino reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (24)fit for foodies (11)romantic (11)good for groups (9)notable wine list (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)neighborhood gem (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great TimesCocoaDined on 11/15/2014Our waiter was excellent and he knows how to take care of customers. The food was good as well and I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great servicegudfudDined on 11/7/2014Great food served hot and great service. The service was fast and the restaurant staff was very friendly. The manager stopped by and chatted for a little bit. I would definitely recommend for any one. We have been many times and will probably go back again. Price wise it is comparable to other steak restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DennisVIPDined on 11/6/2014Favorite restaurant - For Food and Service. Waiter Steve is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the pricewilly89015Dined on 11/1/2014My wife and I went there for our anniversary and couldn't have been happier. Between the selections on the menu and the attentive service we received, it was well worth the money. I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a great steak dinner. The portions are generous and both of our steaks were cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to beFrequentFlyerDined on 10/24/2014My husband and I have celebrated here on special occasions for many years. It's just not what it used to be (the restaurant that is). The food was good but missing some much loved items like the lobster bisque (cappuccino) and the smoky creamed corn. The booth was ripped and the bread a little stale. I'll go back but hope it's better and back to what it was.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Choose Literally Anything ElseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014We were at the Ameristar for the Last Comic Standing tour, and we looked at restaurants in the casino and Great Plains was ranked the highest. After our experience, I have NO CLUE how that is true. We waited 15 minutes before someone even brought us water or bread. It was 5 more minutes before our server showed up. We waited 30 minutes for our food; we tried to ask several times about our food, but we were blatantly ignored by our server. We spoke to our server a total of 3 times: when she took our order, when she brought our food, and when she brought our checks. Once we got our food, our food was cold. At no point in the evening did this restaurant live up to it's ranking, and I would NEVER choose to eat at this restaurant again.
- Good experienceDaveDined on 10/18/2014This was my first time here. We made a reservation and was promptly seated. The food was really good for the price. Good steaks, unique apps and good cocktails. The service was good, but the server didn't seem like he wanted to be there. Not a huge thing, but I'd expect my server to at least act like they cared.
- Always goodKacee25Dined on 10/18/2014At least once a month I cruise through the Great Plains Cattle Company for a filet. Every time, it is excellent. I really enjoy the salad served family style. The sides are plentiful and the steak is always good. Be sure to ask to be seated in Steve's service area. He is without a doubt one of the best wait person's in the business.Special Features:
- filet was over cooked and very dry!cyndluwhoDined on 9/28/2014filet was over cooked and very dry! otherwise, the staff was awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonCDined on 9/27/2014I used my tenderness test on my buffalo ribeye - I was able to cut it with my BUTTER knife. Food was great. Stephan, our waiter, gave great service as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What A FindCasperDined on 9/27/2014The Food Was Excellent, Was Such A Delight To Eat Here, The Setting Was Romantic And The Atmosphere Was Pleasant !!Special Features:
- Food and service was great!Nikki65Dined on 9/25/2014This has become one of our favorite places to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit fot a king or queen...HappyDined on 9/24/2014I can't say enough great things about this dining establishment! All of the wait staff were incredibly attentive and helpful, and the food was scrumptious😀 I will definitely be going back, and plan to introduce my friends and family to this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealAdf99Dined on 9/19/2014We had a friendly server. The food was excellent. Fair prices. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The steaks and sides were perfect. They have a nice selection of wines also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frodo2014Dined on 8/23/2014The food and ambiance was good however our order was lost and we waited and extended time to receive our meals. The manager did come to our table and apologized for the problem and when asked to compt one of the meals was more than happy to do so. I felt due to the wait, I should not have had to ask for one or both of the meals to be compt. In his defense, he did offer a free desert but I felt that was not enough compensation for our long wait to receive our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MajesticCasperDined on 8/22/2014Your Resteraunt Was Absolutely The Best !! Loved The Service & The Food Was Superb !!Special Features:
- Excellent!!!2OKIESDined on 8/21/2014Excellent... great food and service! Enjoyed the evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- four starsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Food was excellent, waiter was a bit slow, crying baby at next tableSpecial Features:
- Nikki65Dined on 8/14/2014This is my 2nd trip to Great Plains Cattle Co. My first visit was outstanding. The service was still great but the steak I had wasn't as good. Overcooked. However, I will give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobandBettyDined on 8/6/2014Food was excellent. The bread was outstanding. The rest of the meal was too. Really liked Steve, our waiter. The manager Carman stopped by and asked if we were enjoying our meal. All in all very enjoyable and inexpensive for what we got. Salmon sweet potato Durac pork chop mashed potatoes salad and wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 161 reviews are from the Great Plains Cattle Company - Ameristar Casino reviews archive.
- luv2eatoutDined on 7/18/2014Superb steaks, great service, perfect for steaks. Great for special occasions or just a night out for steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaDined on 7/17/2014I was disappointed in my bone in strip. It was not very flavorable or tender. The salad was drenched in dressing. The desserts seemed to be frozen and not fresh. I would not go to this restaurant again.
- Surprised!PatrickkcVIPDined on 6/28/2014We were pleasantly surprised at how amazing not only the service was at this resturant but our steaks! Both were 5 star, and our server; a lovely lady treated us like VIP! My advice: this is worth the drive and the dumpy casino location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was bad, food greatArayDined on 6/28/2014My husband loves this place so for his birthday we meet two other couples. Server was bad, at these prices I expect an upgrade in service from a chain steakhouse. He took the order and brought salad but not near enough for six. We were served our meal and were checked in once after we were well into the meal. My steak was fantastic but my husband said the prime rib was not as good as usual, everyone else loved the food though. Most of us had adult beverages and we were never asked if we would like another. I don't like someone to over do it ,but this guy disappeared and not much personality. For the price per plate I prefer better service. Last your bathroom smells bad which was surprising because it looked so clean and nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaks! Love the steaks hereluv2eatoutDined on 6/26/2014The steaks are consistently the best in Kansas City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014The food was good but a little pricey. We had an onion ring appetizer that was a little short on onion rings for the price. Our waiter came up a little short on service but was adequate.
- Our Anniversary DinnerDiningInKCDined on 6/12/2014This was my first visit. I'll surely be back. I was very impressed. What's more, it was my surprise for my wife on our anniversary, and she was impressed. The whole drive there, my mouth was watering thinking about what steak I would order. Then the server described an off-the-menu special of a pan-fried walleye. I tried that instead of steak and it was absolutely delicious. My wife loved her steak and everything else on the table was excellent. Just Great all the way around! Hint: If its romantic you're looking for, ask them to seat you in front of the fireplace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WorldTravelerVIPDined on 5/23/2014I have eaten here many times. Friday the food was very good (as usual) but service by waiter was slow (not usual). Main waiter seemed very distracted while his assistant was much more attentive and in fact better suited to be main waiter.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayBillDined on 5/11/2014Had a wonderful experience at Great Plains, as usual. The Wait staff always makes us feel special, and go out of their way to make the day special. Love coming here for special occasions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014Steve was our server and he was very good. The steaks were fatty, salad wilted, broccoli caps with nasty tasting sauce . Extremely overpriced for terrible quality.
- Top Ten Kansas CityWhatSatisfiesDined on 4/25/2014I have had dinner at Great Plains many times in the past few years, All I can say is, they are awesome. Love the ambience, food is great, steaks outstanding. Service is awesome. Have touted Great Plains from my first visit. Friends and family say the same. We took our parents there for their 50th anniversary. Of the many places to eat in Kansas City, they are one of my favs. They are better than others I have been to, that cost way more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very good andhar44Dined on 4/13/2014The food was very good and the service was great. This was our anniversary and we were seated by the fireplace. It was really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceSharilpDined on 4/5/2014This was our fourth of fifth time we dined at Great Plains Steak House. We have always enjoyed it and it has become a place we go to for special events.Special Features:
- Loving the attention...luv2wineanddineVIPDined on 4/4/2014We love coming to The Journey's -- it's been on our favorites list for many many years now... while they have had staff changes over that time - they have kept their core group that keeps making this the place for us to come back to again and again... From Jake to Cherise, to Kelly to Joyce, to Chef Omar -- we love the special attention and care they all give and the great dining experience that we get from it. Tonite it was Joyce - who is always a compassionate and selfless Hostess... she knows what we like and how we like it! Her attention to our personal preferences is commendable and appreciated. Even when we change things up, like I wanted to try a different wine tonite, Joyce knew exactly what I was wanting. We are Blessed.Special Features:
- Very good overall with a few issuesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014one in our party had the crab risotto which was mushy and did not taste like fresh crab and the up charge of 10 dollars was a bit much. All that ate the prime rib were very satisfied, it has always been our favorite. I wish they would bring back the 22 oz bone in prime rib dinner. One had the Hamburger and it was very dry and over seasoned. Other than that the service was fantastic as always and the whole experience was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steak houseChillerDined on 3/19/2014The decor is very nice. The service was great. I dropped my fork and didn't have to wave anyone down. They were right there. I had the filet and it was cooked just as I ordered. It is expensive but good for a change of pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014We went for our 34th Wedding Anniversary . My husband BBQ Ribs (Full) was ok but the baked potato was cold and not soft. The butter did not melt on the potato. My 7 oz Filet was not good at all. It look bad when Steve brought it to the table. Would not recommend this restaurant to my friends or family. We have been there several times and each times its been getting worse. The best part of the meal was our Campfire Shrimp. Very disappointed
- Always a winnerMrsMacDined on 3/14/2014We have loved this restaurant since it opened. Great food and great service, always! The prices have gone up quite a bit, but we still think it is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/1/2014Not our first time here - but we love the food here. I think this is a hidden treasure in the Kansas City area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.