8101 E. Belleview Ave
Denver, CO 80237Neighborhood:
Tech Center / Greenwood Village
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gntavern.com/
- Phone: 3037704741
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Damon Keith
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Great Northern
Inspired by the Great Northern Railway, the menu encompasses the arduous journey through the northern expanses of the United States as well as the influences of all of those that built it. As the Great Northern Railway winds itself through the landscape, it crosses many diverse areas. From the coast of Washington to the Twin Cities, our menu embraces this heritage, and serves it in the comfort of the old railways. From fresh seafood and salads to fine steaks, we have something to offer everyone. View our menus online at www.gntavern.com to view both lunch and dinner selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Great Northern - Best Restaurants in Tech Center / Greenwood Village ›
Great Northern reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (40)great for lunch (38)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (15)great for brunch (13)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (12)kid-friendly (7)romantic (7)hot spot (6)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Very poor, not worth it.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/28/2014Service was non-existent. Burger was not even warm enough to melt cheese. Fires were cold and not eatable. Had to actually get up an go to the kitchen to get our own condiments. Server very inattentive. Finally had to stop the hostess who was seating other guests to get some service. No offer to fix poor quality of food. Not deserving of our business. Will think twice about returning, many better establishments in the area
- Great lunch spothollydDined on 8/21/2014The outdoor patio was very pleasant but a little noisy. The food was wonderful and service was spectacular. Prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- Our first visit was greatProfmccVIPDined on 8/17/2014And it will definitely not be our last. The service and food were both terrific. The staff went out of their way to make it a pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Consistently goodFjc9VIPDined on 8/14/2014Have. Eaten here many time and am never disappointed.Special Features:
- Reliable and goodEaterDined on 8/14/2014GN is a staple in go to lunch spots. Food and service always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumLuvs2eatoutDined on 8/13/2014Two of us had butternut squash lasagne, one had steak and another had the bison burger. Everyone loved their meal. The service was excellent, too.Special Features:
- AMERICANKARENDined on 8/9/2014VERY ENJOYABLE DINNER WITH ATTENTIVE WAITSTAFF. THERE WAS MUSIC ON THE PATIO WHICH GUESTS SEEMED TO ENJOY ALTHOUGH WE WERE SEATED INSIDE. MY HUSBAND ORDERED THE RIBS WHICH HE LIKED A GREAT DEAL AND I HAD THE SHRIMP SPECIAL WHICH WAS OKAY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantDarrelDined on 8/2/2014We ate outside and it was lovely. The food was very tasty and the ambience was lovely. Our server was friendly and helpful. We haven't been to Great Northern for some time, but we will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 1st Timealways1stDined on 7/31/2014Wanted to try for a long time and glad we did. Service and food were spot on throughout the meal. Very busy for lunch so also a bit loud but nothing over the top. The manager Scott came by to see how things were and was genuinely happy to have us in for the first time. We can't wait to go back again for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- return visit disappointing!dwasbyDined on 7/27/2014Service, service, and food...order was wrong - how hard is it to keep onions off a salad? Why did it take 15 minutes to deliver a beer 40 feet from the bar to our table when the restaurant was less than half full on a Sunday night? And then why rush the entrees out when we were still only midway through our appetizers and salads? Why did we have to wait long periods of time between sightings of our waitress when we needed refills on water, etc? Finally, why wasn't the food as good as the first two times I ate here? Clearly, Owners need to get involved and tighten things up before this place dies...
- Good, as always.yumsterDined on 7/22/2014Sadly there was a table of 3 very high pitched little, little girls there with their mommies. Its not their fault its how kids act when they're 3 and 4; their mommies need to to understand they are just too young for this kind of place at that hour. We weren't "upset", they're babies - we also weren't the only people who jumped and spilled our drinks doing duck-and-cover. But our server was lovely and the food was just dandy.Special Features:
- DisappointedgffoodieDined on 7/19/2014The meat (prime rib, ordered medium) lacked flavor and was dry.Special Features:
- Good Business Lunchmq2014Dined on 7/18/2014Delicious food and attentive staff make Great Northern Tavern a good place to take clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMD GroupyumsterDined on 7/17/2014We love having biz lunches here - the room is great, the service always good and the food is so diverse and satisfying. We can just do our work, and be a calm, professional delicious place. And its also great for easy summer Fridays or Play Hookie HH and sit outside and unwind. It's a great place.Special Features:
- Great Northern going southBuckyVIPDined on 7/16/2014This review is based upon numerous trips to NGT in Greenwood Village. The place is very 'lively' noise-wise... not sure if the acoustics contributes to it. The decor is a box car so it is doing well to re-create the noise. Unfortunately, I go to eat for the food . The menu is varied and has some excellent offerings. However, I get no sense that the food is being prepared with care...just turning out plates. The service was relatively slow despite not being overwhelmed with diners. The waitstaff attentiveness and promptness was not so good. IMO, this is a management problem that could be easily corrected with attention to detail, some kitchen oversight, and a general sense of having proud in where you work and pleasing the customers.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014My second time at Great Northern. Great food and great company both times.Special Features:
- Very Nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Great Northern gave us an excellent dining experience. Varied menu at reasonable prices and the food was very good. Of particular notice, the wait staff and management were commendable. Very attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. We recommend this restaurant and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodLoveToEatDined on 7/2/2014Second time I have been to Great Northern and have always had a good meal and great service. The food was very good and well prepared. Will make another stop here when in town again.Special Features:
- Definitely DownhillIknowqualityVIPDined on 6/30/2014We were disappointed in every way with our recent visit. 4 of us went for lunch at 2:30PM. You would think we would have had attentive service but in fact it was the opposite. Our assigned server was more interested in his female waitstaff companion than he was in us. Three of us got the maple soy glazed salmon - it was way over marinated, thin, and mushy. The accompanying asparagus was overcooked, limp, and tasteless. The shrimp artichoke dip was 90% mayonnaise and the crostini were not charred but instead soaked in butter and barely toasted. The tortilla chicken soup was very good though not much chicken and the burger was tasty. However these highlights were not enough to encourage us to return ever again. Too bad.
- Never going back52804foodVIPDined on 6/26/2014Over the years have dined here but only if I we can have an outside table and IF someone else in the party has requested we dine there. My husband and grandson requested to eat there and so I made the reservation AND specifically requested outside. The inside noise level is INTOLERABLE unless one is very drunk or severely hard of hearing. I am fortunately neither. I dropped my husband off as our grandson was waiting. The hostess had seated them - inside and on top of that next to the open kitchen and service area. There were people almost done and/or leaving on the terrace - the majority of inside tables were empty and the young hostess was rude rude rude. Beyond that and lack of gluten free offerings - we left - NEVER TO RETURN!
- ehhhhhhFoppaDined on 6/23/2014Family dinner, seated before 6 on a Monday. Good HH crowd, mixed business and neighborhood. Only two 4 tops seated in the main dining area, service was slow but friendly. Son's extra side salad came out after his steak entree - no offer to take it off. I asked if we could have tavern chips tavern chips (free in the bar) which were brought out 4 minutes before the entrees arrived - they were on the bill, no big deal. Chicken dishes were good - asparagus was dry and stringy, mashed potatoes cool and mushrooms almost cold. My first, and last, dinner there have had may good lunch and HH experiences however.Special Features:
- lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014My first mistake was the fact that I returned for a second time for lunch. I ordered the same spinach salad. This time I requested less spinach and more of the other ingredients with rotisserie chicken. There was excessive spinach and very few of the other ingredient. The chicken was dark meat and skin. One of my least favorite thing about a server is a dirty uniform. The patio is great with plenty of shade which made it nice because it was quite warm outside. I am not sure why no bread is served especially with a salad. I guess it saves money The outdoor patio is great with plenty of shadeSpecial Features:
- Too badHotdishVIPDined on 6/17/2014I have always loved to have lunch on the patio during the summer months at Great Northern Tavern. However, after this visit I am not sure I will be returning. Three members of our party ordered the apple spinach salad. After digging in we all realized the apples were missing from all 3 of the salads. Once we finally got our waiter's attention, his response was "oh, I will get some apples for you". There was no apology and no visit from the manager who had stopped by earlier. One member of our party stopped back later in the day to speak to the manager to express her disappointment. Unfortunately, the manager had nothing more to offer. With the multitude of restaurants to choose from customer service should be a top priority!Special Features:
- Great Overall ExperienceCatherineBethDined on 6/16/2014My husband and I went to Great Northern to celebrate our anniversary, and we were far from disappointed. We dined outside on their huge patio and received very friendly and attentive service. The food was delicious and our drinks were a decent price as we were there during happy hour and received $2.00 off wine by the glass. Great experience overall. We've been here before this occasion and we will certainly be back again.Special Features:
- Great PatioDTCDinerDined on 6/16/2014Visited at lunch and sat on the patio, which is really nice considering the location. The food was good. Our table had a mix of salads and sandwiches that everyone seemed to enjoy. On this particular day, service was a bit slow for a weekday lunch hour, but I would still go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ca415coVIPDined on 6/15/2014we usuallly go here whenever in town it's good to average the menu has changed alot from when we first went there used to be you could have happy hour priced drinks in the diningroom but you must be in the bar or outside now which was not a change for the better in my husband''s eyes they are flexible with the meals which is nice and my prime rib was rare like i like it which doesn't always happen elsewhereSpecial Features:
- Lovely patio diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/15/2014Great Northern has a nice patio with lots of room. The food is good and fast, but I wish they would offer some healthier apps to share. Don't get me wrong, the wings, fries with blue cheese and bacon, etc. are delicious, but sometimes one wants something lighter.Special Features:
- LunchKateDined on 6/13/2014Good place for work day lunch when you want more than fast food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Very nice place to dine. The food was excellent and the prices were very fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Company LuncheonPLR1Dined on 5/29/2014We sat outside on the patio under the cover and in the corner of the patio. It was a place where we could talk, but were still a part of the experience of the patio dining. Had a 2 year old, so being a little away from the rest of the diners was a good choice. Lunch was very good, service was excellent and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio Dinner ExcellenceVAHooDined on 5/27/2014I've been to the Great Northern before, but never had the opportunity to sit outside - what a treat. And, the (seemingly) new menu was full of fresh creative summer-time fare that everyone can enjoy. The Peruvian Chicken was moist and nicely spiced and the sides were delicious, especially the grilled asparagus. On a cool summer evening, this is a perfect place for a reasonably priced nice (not fancy) dinner for two or for the family.Special Features:
- Good!SchmidttyDined on 5/22/2014Went here for a work lunch, food was good, atmosphere was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Northern not so Great!!!cowdocDined on 5/16/2014Had gone there before, but never again. Place was so noisy that you could see the liquor in the bottles on the shelves vibrating. I could not visit with my wife seated across the table. Food was bland. A lot of heat, but no flavor. Definitely a lot different than the last time, not a positive experience.
- Always good eatsbds2405VIPDined on 5/13/2014Great place for sure with great service. ONLY thing I would say is that our food this particular time was cold. Luke warm soup and crab cakes were coldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great Mother's Day brunchlori1989Dined on 5/11/2014We had a wonderful Mother's Day Brunch at the Great Northern Tavern. We requested a table close to the buffet due to some people in our party having mobility issues and they did not disappoint. Great food and our waiter Zach could not have been more attentive. We have gone the past several years and hope to go again next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedSaturdayDateNightVIPDined on 5/10/2014If you are expecting that Great Northern is a restaurant like an upper scale steak house, you will be very disappointed. My wife and I shared the NY strip and there was so much fat and gristle that we cut off, there seemed to be as much as that as there was meat. It definitely was not a prime steak. I don't think it was even in the caliber of an Outback steak. I think the place would be good for lunch but not for a nice dinner out. The manager was very nice and took care of the steak charge and said that was normal and we must have just received an unusual cut. Although the manager was very nice, he must have just had a cigarette not to long before he came to the table. Stinky. That was a put off. I may try the place for lunch.
- fabfive5Dined on 5/8/2014The food was delicious and generous portions. The service was excellent. It was too noisy for me as my group could not visit without shouting. I would still come back again though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 492 reviews are from the Great Northern reviews archive.
- Nice placeMathcamelDined on 5/2/2014The staff were friendly and attentive. The food and drinks were great. The prices were a little high, but the hamburgers were reasonable and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best chicken in townChrisVIPDined on 5/1/2014Great Northern has the best rotisserie chicken in town, whether it be a sandwich, salad or entree. Phil Cahill does a great job as GM.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch EventsNancyDined on 4/29/2014I've had lunch at Great Northern twice now - both times for small work group events of 6 or so people. Service is great, food is good, and restaurant is easy to find with lots of parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.