8101 E. Belleview Ave
Denver, CO 80237Neighborhood:
Tech Center / Greenwood Village
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gntavern.com/
- Phone: (303) 770-4741
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Damon Keith
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Great Northern
Inspired by the Great Northern Railway, the menu encompasses the arduous journey through the northern expanses of the United States as well as the influences of all of those that built it. As the Great Northern Railway winds itself through the landscape, it crosses many diverse areas. From the coast of Washington to the Twin Cities, our menu embraces this heritage, and serves it in the comfort of the old railways. From fresh seafood and salads to fine steaks, we have something to offer everyone. View our menus online at www.gntavern.com to view both lunch and dinner selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Great Northern - Best Restaurants in Tech Center / Greenwood Village ›
Great Northern reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (41)great for lunch (38)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (21)vibrant bar scene (16)special occasion (14)great for brunch (13)fit for foodies (13)kid-friendly (10)hot spot (9)romantic (6)notable wine list (4)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014What a great night at the Great Northern. Had the pork ribs and they were just the right thing to have on a snowy night. Would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodWadePerryVIPDined on 11/10/2014Thank you for always being consistent in the overall experience you provide. I always know I can hold a business lunch meeting there and my focus can remain on the business without worrying about the restaurant. Good Job. Keep it Up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Local SpoteatoutalotVIPDined on 11/7/2014There is no WOW factor here, just a consistent, reliable spot with decent service, great ribs and chicken, good burgers....The patio in warmer weather is fun and draws a big Tech Center crowd for happy hour. Even better if they have a guitarist to entertain.Special Features:
- Wonder upscale tavernKF13Dined on 11/1/2014The food and service was wonderful. Great neighborhood spotSpecial Features:
- Recommend eating inside...ColoradoDaveDined on 10/30/2014Prior experiences were much better than this one - this is the first time I ate outside and it wasn't nearly as good an ambiance or service. I really like this restaurant's inside dining and I'll stick with it.Special Features:
- Like ItFatDaddyVIPDined on 10/29/2014We go here often as the food and service are decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good restaurantLikefoodDined on 10/24/2014This has always been a good restaurant for us. This experience was good as well, but lacked a bit in service this time. A large party was there and the kitchen gave them priority over our 4 person table. After a quite a long time, our server told us the situation. He was a bit embarrassed and apologetic, but that was it. We waited quite a long time for our meal.Special Features:
- Always good!SteveUDined on 10/19/2014Wonderful food at every visit. We have never been disappointed here! Our waitress (Kelly) was helpful and efficient!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joel RozanskyFishNChipsDined on 10/18/2014This was a fine restaurant and my family enjoyed dinner thoroughly. Everything about the experience was plesant and I would recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:
- Unique dishesAndyDined on 10/10/2014Interesting mix of unique dishes and the classics... excellently prepared.Special Features:
- nice dinneroccasionalWeekendDinersDined on 10/4/2014This was a nice dinner out for just my husband and I. We had a comfortable booth, and were not crowded at 7:45 on Saturday night. We ordered calamari and steaks. Steaks are decent, the sides were prepared very well (aspragus, whipped sweet potatoes, mushrooms). Our waitress was friendly and prompt.Special Features:
- Dinner with old friendstandcDined on 10/4/2014Had dinner with friends I hadn't seen in 15 years. The service was fast and efficient, the food above average and the feel or ambiance was excellent. If you are seeking a location for an adult meal, this perfect choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really LoudRestaurantWeek22014Dined on 9/25/2014The lunch crowd in the main room was extremely loud. Most likely this is tied to the layout of the room since the kitchen opens into the dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great patiomikeyDined on 9/25/2014In warmer weather, this restaurant has a very nice patio for a lunch. Mostly a business crowd during the week, service is attentive and fairly fast. Food was hot and tasty-I'll be back!Special Features:
- Good Food, Good Patio / Deck Spotjen4evrDined on 9/17/2014We were fortunate enough to make a reservation when Dewar's was hosting the happy hour. Good scotch, but the restaurant is the real star here. There is outdoor dining, and the rain held off long enough to let us take advantage of it. The pork chop was well seasoned, the wait staff was attentive and pleasant, the beer and wine selections were varied and well chosen. A great spot for a meal and convenient to hotel and work. Recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back For Dinneralways1stDined on 9/3/2014Finally got a chance to return for dinner and glad we did. Menu is very similar to lunch but Scott (who remembered us from our first visit!) recommended the pork chop and it was terrific. Having just moved to the neighborhood a few months ago we are so happy to have this restaurant nearby. Next we'll have to try Happy hour.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, takes reservationsColoradoDaveDined on 9/2/2014The food at Great Northern is very good and the seating is great because it's not all on top of each other - I highly recommend for a business luncheon. If you go at happy hour, their home made chips are addictive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food4thotDined on 8/31/2014The tortilla soup tasted more like chili and wasn't truly heated through. The ribs were tasty but only warm, not hot. The red wine my husband chose never appeared, so he finally asked to order a different red wine. The restaurant "comped" the wine, as it should have given the wait. My swordfish tacos were plentiful and tasty. They should use crisp corn tortillas instead of flour. The latter get soggy and and turn the dish into one eaten with a fork, not fingers. Josh is a good waiter but cannot compensate for the so-so food.Special Features:
- JananVIPDined on 8/31/2014It is a great place for brunch. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating.Special Features:
- Very poor, not worth it.TravelerDined on 8/28/2014Service was non-existent. Burger was not even warm enough to melt cheese. Fires were cold and not eatable. Had to actually get up an go to the kitchen to get our own condiments. Server very inattentive. Finally had to stop the hostess who was seating other guests to get some service. No offer to fix poor quality of food. Not deserving of our business. Will think twice about returning, many better establishments in the area
- Great for a lunch meetingHowardVIPDined on 8/27/2014I have been here a few times to meet with clients and they always find me a great place to talk. The food is very good.Special Features:
- Great lunch spothollydDined on 8/21/2014The outdoor patio was very pleasant but a little noisy. The food was wonderful and service was spectacular. Prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- Our first visit was greatProfmccVIPDined on 8/17/2014And it will definitely not be our last. The service and food were both terrific. The staff went out of their way to make it a pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Consistently goodFjc9VIPDined on 8/14/2014Have. Eaten here many time and am never disappointed.Special Features:
- Reliable and goodEaterDined on 8/14/2014GN is a staple in go to lunch spots. Food and service always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumLuvs2eatoutDined on 8/13/2014Two of us had butternut squash lasagne, one had steak and another had the bison burger. Everyone loved their meal. The service was excellent, too.Special Features:
- AMERICANKARENDined on 8/9/2014VERY ENJOYABLE DINNER WITH ATTENTIVE WAITSTAFF. THERE WAS MUSIC ON THE PATIO WHICH GUESTS SEEMED TO ENJOY ALTHOUGH WE WERE SEATED INSIDE. MY HUSBAND ORDERED THE RIBS WHICH HE LIKED A GREAT DEAL AND I HAD THE SHRIMP SPECIAL WHICH WAS OKAY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantDarrelDined on 8/2/2014We ate outside and it was lovely. The food was very tasty and the ambience was lovely. Our server was friendly and helpful. We haven't been to Great Northern for some time, but we will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 1st Timealways1stDined on 7/31/2014Wanted to try for a long time and glad we did. Service and food were spot on throughout the meal. Very busy for lunch so also a bit loud but nothing over the top. The manager Scott came by to see how things were and was genuinely happy to have us in for the first time. We can't wait to go back again for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- return visit disappointing!dwasbyDined on 7/27/2014Service, service, and food...order was wrong - how hard is it to keep onions off a salad? Why did it take 15 minutes to deliver a beer 40 feet from the bar to our table when the restaurant was less than half full on a Sunday night? And then why rush the entrees out when we were still only midway through our appetizers and salads? Why did we have to wait long periods of time between sightings of our waitress when we needed refills on water, etc? Finally, why wasn't the food as good as the first two times I ate here? Clearly, Owners need to get involved and tighten things up before this place dies...
- The following 520 reviews are from the Great Northern reviews archive.
- Good, as always.yumsterDined on 7/22/2014Sadly there was a table of 3 very high pitched little, little girls there with their mommies. Its not their fault its how kids act when they're 3 and 4; their mommies need to to understand they are just too young for this kind of place at that hour. We weren't "upset", they're babies - we also weren't the only people who jumped and spilled our drinks doing duck-and-cover. But our server was lovely and the food was just dandy.Special Features:
- DisappointedgffoodieDined on 7/19/2014The meat (prime rib, ordered medium) lacked flavor and was dry.Special Features:
- Good Business Lunchmq2014Dined on 7/18/2014Delicious food and attentive staff make Great Northern Tavern a good place to take clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMD GroupyumsterDined on 7/17/2014We love having biz lunches here - the room is great, the service always good and the food is so diverse and satisfying. We can just do our work, and be a calm, professional delicious place. And its also great for easy summer Fridays or Play Hookie HH and sit outside and unwind. It's a great place.Special Features:
- Great Northern going southBuckyVIPDined on 7/16/2014This review is based upon numerous trips to NGT in Greenwood Village. The place is very 'lively' noise-wise... not sure if the acoustics contributes to it. The decor is a box car so it is doing well to re-create the noise. Unfortunately, I go to eat for the food . The menu is varied and has some excellent offerings. However, I get no sense that the food is being prepared with care...just turning out plates. The service was relatively slow despite not being overwhelmed with diners. The waitstaff attentiveness and promptness was not so good. IMO, this is a management problem that could be easily corrected with attention to detail, some kitchen oversight, and a general sense of having proud in where you work and pleasing the customers.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014My second time at Great Northern. Great food and great company both times.Special Features:
- Very Nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Great Northern gave us an excellent dining experience. Varied menu at reasonable prices and the food was very good. Of particular notice, the wait staff and management were commendable. Very attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. We recommend this restaurant and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodLoveToEatDined on 7/2/2014Second time I have been to Great Northern and have always had a good meal and great service. The food was very good and well prepared. Will make another stop here when in town again.Special Features:
- Definitely DownhillIknowqualityVIPDined on 6/30/2014We were disappointed in every way with our recent visit. 4 of us went for lunch at 2:30PM. You would think we would have had attentive service but in fact it was the opposite. Our assigned server was more interested in his female waitstaff companion than he was in us. Three of us got the maple soy glazed salmon - it was way over marinated, thin, and mushy. The accompanying asparagus was overcooked, limp, and tasteless. The shrimp artichoke dip was 90% mayonnaise and the crostini were not charred but instead soaked in butter and barely toasted. The tortilla chicken soup was very good though not much chicken and the burger was tasty. However these highlights were not enough to encourage us to return ever again. Too bad.
- Never going back52804foodVIPDined on 6/26/2014Over the years have dined here but only if I we can have an outside table and IF someone else in the party has requested we dine there. My husband and grandson requested to eat there and so I made the reservation AND specifically requested outside. The inside noise level is INTOLERABLE unless one is very drunk or severely hard of hearing. I am fortunately neither. I dropped my husband off as our grandson was waiting. The hostess had seated them - inside and on top of that next to the open kitchen and service area. There were people almost done and/or leaving on the terrace - the majority of inside tables were empty and the young hostess was rude rude rude. Beyond that and lack of gluten free offerings - we left - NEVER TO RETURN!