1451 Washington St.
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegreatmaple.com/
- Phone: 6192552282
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:30am
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Carmine Lopez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Speak to General Manager it based on a case by case basis.
- Entertainment: Food Boards run through the room... Yes. Cool
A word from Great Maple
We Serve Dinner, Lunch, Brunch and Weekday Breakfast. We are a "European Dinette" featuring seasonal fare, fresh house made pies, and local produce cocktails. We have a full bar and a social wine list. Outdoor dining, counter bar, food bar, and full room dining. Cocktail cart for special cocktails and tostas delivered on a 7 foot board. CheersContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Great Maple - Best Restaurants in Hillcrest ›
Great Maple reviews from OpenTable diners
296 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (208)neighborhood gem (196)great for brunch (193)great for lunch (103)good for groups (101)hot spot (92)great for outdoor dining (71)kid-friendly (63)special occasion (61)romantic (16)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (8)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Monday night pre-fixOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/20/2014Monday night's pre-fix dinner was DELICIOUS. I'm going back for another one.Special Features:
- Awesome & FreshFoodie25Dined on 10/19/2014Good food, good service! My 13 yo son is a foodie and enjoys a good salad. He ordered the prosciutto flatbread for dinner. The Parmesan portobello mushroom w/aioli was Devine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014We found Great Maple while looking in a magazine in our hotel room earlier this year. Since that time, whenever we come to San Diego we make a point of visiting the restaurant! We've never been disappointed in the food or service-both are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noon on SundayDelightfulCravingsDined on 10/19/2014Noon on Sunday for brunch is not necessarily a good idea. I love Great Maple and have had breakfast lunch and dinner but the brunch crowd was a bit much for me. I will just make my reservations for either earlier or later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let's go to Great MapleKameADined on 10/15/2014Everytime we make plans with friends for dinner out - Great Maple is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy as alwaysesc4eveVIPDined on 10/12/2014Is it wrong to eat maple goodness donuts for breakfast? I think not! As per my usual, GM does not disappoint me or my family. I had what I think is the BEST BLT of my life. All of the food is great and the service is always fab. GM continues to be my go to place every time I'm in SD.Special Features:
- DianeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Unique breakfast spot.... Food was great! Long lines and waits if you don't make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious experience at Great MapleLadyWhoBruchesDined on 10/10/2014Had a lovely date night at Great Maple. The service was excellent. Our waitress was attentive and made great suggestions. The cocktails were unique and delicious. From the bone marrow appetizer to the tasty pork belly & French dip sandwiches we wrapped up our decadent meal with some incredible maple bacon donuts for dessert. Yes, we probably should've said no to desseet, but who could resist maple bacon donuts?! Needless to say it was definitely a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and LocalLuvitalianoDined on 10/9/2014What a great take on classic American food but with a twist. The food is local and seasonal and is the food you know but prepared slightly different. Everything we had was great. The individual (!) Apple pie for dessert was fantastic. Not inexpensive but well worth the few extra dollars. Excellent service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Absolutely loved the sausage and shrimp popover!!! And the maple bacon donuts were delicious! Will most defn come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maple bacon donuts!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/5/2014We started with the maple bacon donuts for the table....fabulous! Breakfast dishes are big enough to share. Highly recommend making reservations for brunch. It beats standing in line! Great to walk the Hillcrest Farmers Market after brunch on Sunday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!MinmuskDined on 10/4/2014This place was amazing. The service, the food and the drinks. Can not wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014Overall the experience was very positive. Great service, food presentation, food itself and friendly environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but very slow service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014I went here for a business meeting and immediately loved the fantastic decor and retro-ish diner charm. The menu had a nice variety of creative breakfast choices. While I woul have loved to have tried the maple bacon donuts, I opted for the healthier asparagus with poached eggs, which was delicious. The only drawback was the service, which seemed incredibly slow. It seems like we spent forever just waiting for someone to take our order. Altogether I spent more than two hours out of the office, which is just too long. I would definitely go again, but not for business because I can't spend that much time for a business breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YAYONADined on 9/27/2014GREAT FOOD!!!!!! LOVE IT, I'VE BEEN 6 TIMES, THE FRENCH TOAST IN THE MORNINGSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Maple has great food!YummyDined on 9/27/2014The menu is varied, the service is very good and the general ambiance is lively. If you want a quiet meal, this is not the place for you. However, if you want a delicious meal, don't pass up this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantNinaDined on 9/26/2014The outside seating area was lovely and our waitress was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar Restaurant Week FareSuebrantDined on 9/26/2014You expect the best during Restaurant Week. Great Maple delivered. The Blood Orange Pie was more than cosmic. It is no doubt the best dessert I have tasted in years! The specialty Peach margarita hit the spot. The dinner was light and delicious. A wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Great MapleLoveParisDined on 9/23/2014Great Maple always feels special without being too precious. Servers are well trained food specialists who pay attention to their guests without hovering or intruding. Our server wanted to be sure we wanted red wine after eating our fabulous scallops because the food might make the red wine seem a little more sharp or bitter. Thoughtful and paying attention!!! From the best BLT ever to my current favorite on the menu, scallops, I have loved every dish I have eaten here.Special Features:
- Summer, Winter Menu ChangeLove2eatgreatfoodDined on 9/21/2014I thought the summer menu was better. Food was good, but not great as before. Bass had a brown sauce instead of the great white sauce I had experienced before. Was disappointed it had been changed. Also no ones seemed to really know what was really happening with resturant week. Apple pie was great as always. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Breakfast/BrunchRyewhiskeyDined on 9/21/2014Have been here several times. Delicious food and great drinks. Noise level is high. Outdoor patio is a quieter option.
- Maple Bacon DonutsMapBacDonDined on 9/21/2014See above. Most amazing thing I've ever eaten in my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014I'm sure I'm not adding anything new here, but this place does both normal and vegetarian brunch very well. I'm also super impressed they actually sat us down exactly on time with our reservation, despite being packed to the gills.Special Features:
- Food delicious, service suckedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014Food was delicious, but service sucked. We had a reservation, & even though I was on crutches, they wouldn't seat us right away. The hostesses were pretty rude about it, & tried to pass it off that our whole party wasn't there (the parking lot was full so they had to park 6 blocks away), but really the table wasn't ready yet. They threw more attitude at us again about this when we sat down. Food service was slow, the server didn't come around very often. Food took forever to come out, & people had to come out to confirm our order several times. They also didn't bring out all of the food at once. Food is really overpriced for what it is (we all had egg dishes), service is pretty bad, hostess girls are condescending. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Restaurant cancelledOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014Restaurant called 20 minutes before our reservation time and said they were closed due to a fire
- First time, not disappointed!SoCalFoodFanDined on 9/13/2014I had heard great things about Great Maple and wanted to try it out. Food was great, cocktails yummy, wait staff attentive. We ordered the Pop-over, Greens Salad, Crab Tortas, Lobster Poutine and shared amongst 3 of us. Serving size was perfect and everything was flavorful. Would recommend and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday SupriseMikeFDined on 9/13/2014The surprise was that the hostess apparently forgot to tell the server that it was my daughter's birthday and did not, as they promised, bring out a birthday dessert with a candle. They actually only took desert orders and did not offer to remove one of the desserts ordered from the bill. The service was also spotty and not reflective of the expectations for this restaurant.Special Features:
- Moroccan Lamb Burgeriheartpasta1VIPDined on 9/10/2014It was moist and delicious - but at $18 quite pricy. My next choice was salad but they were over the top expensive as well so I went with the burger and I was glad I did.Special Features:
- Great food & ambiance,Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/9/2014I ate with a party 7. The appetizers, main dishes, and dessert were all terrific. The restaurant atmosphere was lovely. The service was much to be desired. It took 25-30 minutes for our entrees to be served. The wait staff mixed up most of our dishes and one of the people in the party had to wait about 10 extra minutes for her fish. When the waiter was asked why the food was taking so long, his response was not at all apologetic; he simply blamed it on the fact that a couple of us had ordered our meat well done. Hopefully, this feedback will be taken and our next experience will be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome to the neighborhood!OMGoodnessDined on 9/8/2014Most impressive was the ambiance ~ relaxed and friendly yet classy and elegant. The knowledge and helpfulness of our redheaded waitress was great. I was relieved to find it is not strictly for foodies or locals. The decorations were lovely; the huge floral bouquet in the back was incredible! Just the right touches everywhere. We went for dinner and had two desserts. I am still enjoying my 'mini' apple pie, which was SO good. The maple bacon donuts were indescribably delicious ~ crusty and chewy on the outside and soft on the inside with warm maple/bacon sauce running down the sides. The only way it could be better would be to have it for breakfast with coffee, which I will soon be having. Thank you for an incredible experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super MealbrunchloverVIPDined on 9/7/2014Went there for breakfast -great food, huge portions. Great service.
- Great food and drinks!BirdDined on 9/6/2014We sat outside and it was so nice out there. Food and cocktails were delightful! Our Server seemed a little busy. She was very nice and knowledgeable, not flustered just took a little longer to get water/second round of drinks than usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Outdoor Dining!DominiqueDined on 9/5/2014Amazing food, great service. Will definitely return!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always!CasperVIPDined on 9/1/2014I've been to Great Maple on several occasions, from weekday breakfast to dinner to weekend brunch. I have yet to have an unpleasant experience. On this trip, I had some friends in from out of town who are all foodies, so I knew GM would be a great place to take them for brunch on Labor Day. We were not disappointed. While it took about 20 minutes to get seated, even with an Open Table reservation, considering it was a table for 7 including an infant and they were packed with a huge line out front, I didn't take offense at this. My guests were impressed with the diverse menu selections and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals and cocktails.Special Features:
- Checkin' out The MapleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Overall, I thought it was a nice brunch place. Really crowded, so definitely make reservations or try to go during the week. I don't think I would go back. Just too much noise and people everywhere! Also there's only one bathroom for each gender, so you might get stuck waiting in line.Special Features:
- Great service, quality foodKEG1Dined on 8/31/2014It was very good. I even ended up not liking my dish and they were more than happy to bring me another. I hate asking for that but the server was really cool about it and even felt bad because she had influenced my first order. Satisfied with great service!Special Features:
- Wonderful as always!emlakeDined on 8/30/2014My friends and I hadn't seen each other in a while, so when we thought of a great place with great food and service, we immediately thought of Great Maple. Leslie, our server, was fantastic with her suggestions. We come often as this is the 1 place in town where we know we can't miss!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BusyLouisaDined on 8/30/2014I've eaten at Great Maple about 6 times. I've always liked it, but this time the service was incredibly slow, despite the fact hat we arrived before the dinner crowd. And one of the wines listed on the wine list was not available! But I'll go back anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to eateryMegdenverDined on 8/30/2014We looked for a brunch place new Hillcrest and ended up coming to the Great Maple everyday after we discovered it until we had to head back to Denver. We fell in love with the food - the Lolliwaffle, the French toast log, and the BLT sandwich. The service was not only impeccable but the kind of homey niceness that makes you want to return over and over. Goodbye Snooze!Special Features:
- My favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014I'd heard about Great Maple from from friends for a while prior to trying it. I've been there a half dozen times now. My first time there, it earned the ranking of my favorite brunch spot and each time I'm there it gets even better. Fantastic food, great drinks, friendly attentive service and the most amazing maple bacon donuts for an appetizer. It's a must-try if you haven't been there yetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.