1451 Washington St.
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegreatmaple.com/
- Phone: (619) 255-2282
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:30am
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Carmine Lopez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Speak to General Manager it based on a case by case basis.
- Entertainment: Food Boards run through the room... Yes. Cool
A word from Great Maple
We Serve Dinner, Lunch, Brunch and Weekday Breakfast. We are a "European Dinette" featuring seasonal fare, fresh house made pies, and local produce cocktails. We have a full bar and a social wine list. Outdoor dining, counter bar, food bar, and full room dining. Cocktail cart for special cocktails and tostas delivered on a 7 foot board. CheersContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Great Maple - Best Restaurants in Hillcrest ›
Great Maple reviews from OpenTable diners
271 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (196)neighborhood gem (175)great for brunch (175)good for groups (91)hot spot (86)great for lunch (85)great for outdoor dining (68)kid-friendly (53)special occasion (52)romantic (17)late-night find (13)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (8)scenic view (1)Show More
- Love!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/19/2014The food was incredible. We split the popover eggs Benedict, engulfed on beignets all with tremendous service! This has become my new lunchtime meeting spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUCH good food!KiniVIPDined on 11/18/2014Honestly, we had the best dinner there last week... The food could not have been better! I think the ambience is a bit...uh..."humble," but that is quickly forgotten when the platters arrive. YUM! Fresh, innovative, quality ingredients, well-prepared. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu!BigRVIPDined on 11/18/2014We ended up splitting a beef brisket sandwich - wonderful, smokey, not too sweet, tasty bun, slather of horseradish. Also split the chicken pate, wow, good, and a Caesar salad, which was put together very nicely. Apple pie - hot, perfect, and key lime for dessert. The only small (very small) disappointment was the curry cauliflower - too dry for us, but nevertheless, nicely flavoured, and carefully cooked to have the right amount of bite to it. Service was just right - attentive, discreet, and informed. A+, will be going back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diner114Dined on 11/16/2014great food, great service, friendly atmosphere...enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food-horrible serviceGenoDined on 11/15/2014Great food- horrible service- took almost an hour for entrees- waitress was overwhelmed and not very considerateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great concept.AngelfireDined on 11/9/2014Would be more enjoyable if the noise level was reduced. The tables are too crowded together for the space. All in all I would return, perhaps on off hours, for the great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, mediocre serverJohnDined on 11/9/2014The place was packed to the gills with hipster foodies, hipster foodie families, and people wanting to find out "what's so great about this place?" My family and I went at the suggestion of a foodie friend. The food was every bit as good as I had hoped it would be. We especially enjoyed the maple doughnuts. So much amazingness! The problem was with the service. I understand it was crowded. That is to be expected at a hip, new, trendy eatery on Sunday morning. I don't think our server understood that (or maybe she understood it too well). She had a pretty condescending attitude and seemed as if she were doing us a favor by serving us, often, leaving us feeling neglected. No water, having to ask 2x for a missing place setting & a water glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BradoVIPDined on 11/9/2014Excellent service and food was good. Walk around specialties (belt Bloody Mary) a neat treat. Noise level way too loud at Sunday Brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bountiful BrunchLuvEatsDined on 11/8/2014This place is busy so I would recommend a reservation. I have been here twice and the first time I made a reservation, showed up and they couldn't find it. It was no error of theirs as I must have entered the wrong date but they were gracious enough to seat us quickly. The beef brisket popover, tender beef, thick crispy bacon with asparagus, mixed fingerling potatoes and a perfectly cooked poach egg is a must try item. I would say they have generous portion sizes so bring your appetite or bring it home with you.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Absolutely loved the food and the house Mary was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best breakfast joint I've been toOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We heard about Great Maple from a friend who saw it on Pinterest. When she first mentioned it to us, the name was forgettable and we also didn't even come. When I finally got a chance to look up their menu online though, I was hooked! My wife and I came for our anniversary and the food was amazing! The experience was incredible. We ordered the bacon maple glazed donuts to start off and I'll have to say, this is a must eat item! AMAZING. They had some many other things that I wanted to try but I ended up going with the beef brisket hash and my wife had the bacon scramble. Both were delicious. Can't say enough about this place. Definitely a must visit restaurant when in San Diego.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and food!PammyDined on 10/26/2014Maple bacon doughnuts, popovers and more. Yummy! Oyster scramble, has and chiliquiles were the highlights. My friend had a cocktail that she loved and it was served in a bear glass how cute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElizabethVIPDined on 10/26/2014We were about 5 minutes late for our reservation, but then we had to wait another 15 minutes to be seated. It was super busy, but once we were seated, our server was attentive and helpful. As a first time visitor, the menu was a little overwhelming with the number of choices, but we were provided helpful suggestions. The food was delicious, and we had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Show Up With an Appetite41142hltVIPDined on 10/26/2014Not for those on a diet or even close. Highly recommend going there about twice a year. The warm maple glazed donuts with bacon bits were insanely good. The scrambled eggs and chorizo dish with tortilla chips was heavy on tortilla chips but tasty nonetheless. The apple pie for breakfast, once you get past the insanity of it, is the best apple pie I've ever had. We probably crushed about 4,000 calories per person but then went on a 7 mile hike to Iron Mountain to walk it off. All in all, a memorable meal indeed.Special Features:
- FitgirlfoodieFitgirlfoodieDined on 10/25/2014Great place for original food! Had a unique version of an egg benedict!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!larpe001Dined on 10/25/2014Hands down the best brunch I have ever had! Great drinks, great food and love sitting outside on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over pricedDe1001Dined on 10/25/2014The menu is a bit deceiving. Descriptions of meals is not what you end up getting on your plate. Service very good. Restaurant crowded and noisy and very hectic. Very over priced.
- wow great service and foodsunny2Dined on 10/21/2014Great food and service. Our waitress Courtney was great. I wanted to try their Pickle bloody Mary that I had a friend rave about, but they only make during brunch. Our waitress Courtney offered to ask and was able to get the bartender to make it. Pickle bloody Mary was so delicious. Everything we ordered was great. I will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Monday night pre-fixOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/20/2014Monday night's pre-fix dinner was DELICIOUS. I'm going back for another one.Special Features:
- Awesome & FreshFoodie25Dined on 10/19/2014Good food, good service! My 13 yo son is a foodie and enjoys a good salad. He ordered the prosciutto flatbread for dinner. The Parmesan portobello mushroom w/aioli was Devine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!CamiWDined on 10/19/2014We found Great Maple while looking in a magazine in our hotel room earlier this year. Since that time, whenever we come to San Diego we make a point of visiting the restaurant! We've never been disappointed in the food or service-both are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noon on SundayDelightfulCravingsDined on 10/19/2014Noon on Sunday for brunch is not necessarily a good idea. I love Great Maple and have had breakfast lunch and dinner but the brunch crowd was a bit much for me. I will just make my reservations for either earlier or later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/19/2014Great food (heavy food though!) makes up for the tight tables and not able to accommodate large parties comfortably.Special Features:
- Let's go to Great MapleKameADined on 10/15/2014Everytime we make plans with friends for dinner out - Great Maple is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy as alwaysesc4eveVIPDined on 10/12/2014Is it wrong to eat maple goodness donuts for breakfast? I think not! As per my usual, GM does not disappoint me or my family. I had what I think is the BEST BLT of my life. All of the food is great and the service is always fab. GM continues to be my go to place every time I'm in SD.Special Features:
- DianeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Unique breakfast spot.... Food was great! Long lines and waits if you don't make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious experience at Great MapleLadyWhoBruchesDined on 10/10/2014Had a lovely date night at Great Maple. The service was excellent. Our waitress was attentive and made great suggestions. The cocktails were unique and delicious. From the bone marrow appetizer to the tasty pork belly & French dip sandwiches we wrapped up our decadent meal with some incredible maple bacon donuts for dessert. Yes, we probably should've said no to desseet, but who could resist maple bacon donuts?! Needless to say it was definitely a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and LocalLuvitalianoDined on 10/9/2014What a great take on classic American food but with a twist. The food is local and seasonal and is the food you know but prepared slightly different. Everything we had was great. The individual (!) Apple pie for dessert was fantastic. Not inexpensive but well worth the few extra dollars. Excellent service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Absolutely loved the sausage and shrimp popover!!! And the maple bacon donuts were delicious! Will most defn come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maple bacon donuts!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/5/2014We started with the maple bacon donuts for the table....fabulous! Breakfast dishes are big enough to share. Highly recommend making reservations for brunch. It beats standing in line! Great to walk the Hillcrest Farmers Market after brunch on Sunday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!MinmuskDined on 10/4/2014This place was amazing. The service, the food and the drinks. Can not wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014Overall the experience was very positive. Great service, food presentation, food itself and friendly environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but very slow service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014I went here for a business meeting and immediately loved the fantastic decor and retro-ish diner charm. The menu had a nice variety of creative breakfast choices. While I woul have loved to have tried the maple bacon donuts, I opted for the healthier asparagus with poached eggs, which was delicious. The only drawback was the service, which seemed incredibly slow. It seems like we spent forever just waiting for someone to take our order. Altogether I spent more than two hours out of the office, which is just too long. I would definitely go again, but not for business because I can't spend that much time for a business breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YAYONADined on 9/27/2014GREAT FOOD!!!!!! LOVE IT, I'VE BEEN 6 TIMES, THE FRENCH TOAST IN THE MORNINGSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Maple has great food!YummyDined on 9/27/2014The menu is varied, the service is very good and the general ambiance is lively. If you want a quiet meal, this is not the place for you. However, if you want a delicious meal, don't pass up this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantNinaDined on 9/26/2014The outside seating area was lovely and our waitress was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar Restaurant Week FareSuebrantDined on 9/26/2014You expect the best during Restaurant Week. Great Maple delivered. The Blood Orange Pie was more than cosmic. It is no doubt the best dessert I have tasted in years! The specialty Peach margarita hit the spot. The dinner was light and delicious. A wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Great MapleLoveParisDined on 9/23/2014Great Maple always feels special without being too precious. Servers are well trained food specialists who pay attention to their guests without hovering or intruding. Our server wanted to be sure we wanted red wine after eating our fabulous scallops because the food might make the red wine seem a little more sharp or bitter. Thoughtful and paying attention!!! From the best BLT ever to my current favorite on the menu, scallops, I have loved every dish I have eaten here.Special Features:
- Summer, Winter Menu ChangeLove2eatgreatfoodDined on 9/21/2014I thought the summer menu was better. Food was good, but not great as before. Bass had a brown sauce instead of the great white sauce I had experienced before. Was disappointed it had been changed. Also no ones seemed to really know what was really happening with resturant week. Apple pie was great as always. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Breakfast/BrunchRyewhiskeyDined on 9/21/2014Have been here several times. Delicious food and great drinks. Noise level is high. Outdoor patio is a quieter option.