1451 Washington St.
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegreatmaple.com/
- Phone: 6192552282
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:30am
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Carmine Lopez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Speak to General Manager it based on a case by case basis.
- Entertainment: Food Boards run through the room... Yes. Cool
A word from Great Maple
We Serve Dinner, Lunch, Brunch and Weekday Breakfast. We are a "European Dinette" featuring seasonal fare, fresh house made pies, and local produce cocktails. We have a full bar and a social wine list. Outdoor dining, counter bar, food bar, and full room dining. Cocktail cart for special cocktails and tostas delivered on a 7 foot board. CheersContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Great Maple - Best Restaurants in Hillcrest ›
Great Maple reviews from OpenTable diners
312 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (213)great for brunch (203)neighborhood gem (199)great for lunch (109)good for groups (103)hot spot (95)great for outdoor dining (80)kid-friendly (76)special occasion (71)romantic (20)late-night find (17)vibrant bar scene (10)notable wine list (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- YAYONADined on 9/27/2014GREAT FOOD!!!!!! LOVE IT, I'VE BEEN 6 TIMES, THE FRENCH TOAST IN THE MORNINGSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Maple has great food!YummyDined on 9/27/2014The menu is varied, the service is very good and the general ambiance is lively. If you want a quiet meal, this is not the place for you. However, if you want a delicious meal, don't pass up this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The outside seating area was lovely and our waitress was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar Restaurant Week FareSuebrantDined on 9/26/2014You expect the best during Restaurant Week. Great Maple delivered. The Blood Orange Pie was more than cosmic. It is no doubt the best dessert I have tasted in years! The specialty Peach margarita hit the spot. The dinner was light and delicious. A wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Great MapleLoveParisDined on 9/23/2014Great Maple always feels special without being too precious. Servers are well trained food specialists who pay attention to their guests without hovering or intruding. Our server wanted to be sure we wanted red wine after eating our fabulous scallops because the food might make the red wine seem a little more sharp or bitter. Thoughtful and paying attention!!! From the best BLT ever to my current favorite on the menu, scallops, I have loved every dish I have eaten here.Special Features:
- Summer, Winter Menu ChangeLove2eatgreatfoodDined on 9/21/2014I thought the summer menu was better. Food was good, but not great as before. Bass had a brown sauce instead of the great white sauce I had experienced before. Was disappointed it had been changed. Also no ones seemed to really know what was really happening with resturant week. Apple pie was great as always. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maple Bacon DonutsMapBacDonDined on 9/21/2014See above. Most amazing thing I've ever eaten in my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014I'm sure I'm not adding anything new here, but this place does both normal and vegetarian brunch very well. I'm also super impressed they actually sat us down exactly on time with our reservation, despite being packed to the gills.Special Features:
- Food delicious, service suckedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014Food was delicious, but service sucked. We had a reservation, & even though I was on crutches, they wouldn't seat us right away. The hostesses were pretty rude about it, & tried to pass it off that our whole party wasn't there (the parking lot was full so they had to park 6 blocks away), but really the table wasn't ready yet. They threw more attitude at us again about this when we sat down. Food service was slow, the server didn't come around very often. Food took forever to come out, & people had to come out to confirm our order several times. They also didn't bring out all of the food at once. Food is really overpriced for what it is (we all had egg dishes), service is pretty bad, hostess girls are condescending. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Restaurant cancelledOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014Restaurant called 20 minutes before our reservation time and said they were closed due to a fire
- First time, not disappointed!SoCalFoodFanDined on 9/13/2014I had heard great things about Great Maple and wanted to try it out. Food was great, cocktails yummy, wait staff attentive. We ordered the Pop-over, Greens Salad, Crab Tortas, Lobster Poutine and shared amongst 3 of us. Serving size was perfect and everything was flavorful. Would recommend and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday SupriseMikeFDined on 9/13/2014The surprise was that the hostess apparently forgot to tell the server that it was my daughter's birthday and did not, as they promised, bring out a birthday dessert with a candle. They actually only took desert orders and did not offer to remove one of the desserts ordered from the bill. The service was also spotty and not reflective of the expectations for this restaurant.Special Features:
- Moroccan Lamb Burgeriheartpasta1VIPDined on 9/10/2014It was moist and delicious - but at $18 quite pricy. My next choice was salad but they were over the top expensive as well so I went with the burger and I was glad I did.Special Features:
- Great food & ambiance,Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/9/2014I ate with a party 7. The appetizers, main dishes, and dessert were all terrific. The restaurant atmosphere was lovely. The service was much to be desired. It took 25-30 minutes for our entrees to be served. The wait staff mixed up most of our dishes and one of the people in the party had to wait about 10 extra minutes for her fish. When the waiter was asked why the food was taking so long, his response was not at all apologetic; he simply blamed it on the fact that a couple of us had ordered our meat well done. Hopefully, this feedback will be taken and our next experience will be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome to the neighborhood!OMGoodnessDined on 9/8/2014Most impressive was the ambiance ~ relaxed and friendly yet classy and elegant. The knowledge and helpfulness of our redheaded waitress was great. I was relieved to find it is not strictly for foodies or locals. The decorations were lovely; the huge floral bouquet in the back was incredible! Just the right touches everywhere. We went for dinner and had two desserts. I am still enjoying my 'mini' apple pie, which was SO good. The maple bacon donuts were indescribably delicious ~ crusty and chewy on the outside and soft on the inside with warm maple/bacon sauce running down the sides. The only way it could be better would be to have it for breakfast with coffee, which I will soon be having. Thank you for an incredible experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super MealbrunchloverVIPDined on 9/7/2014Went there for breakfast -great food, huge portions. Great service.
- Great food and drinks!BirdDined on 9/6/2014We sat outside and it was so nice out there. Food and cocktails were delightful! Our Server seemed a little busy. She was very nice and knowledgeable, not flustered just took a little longer to get water/second round of drinks than usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Outdoor Dining!DominiqueDined on 9/5/2014Amazing food, great service. Will definitely return!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always!CasperVIPDined on 9/1/2014I've been to Great Maple on several occasions, from weekday breakfast to dinner to weekend brunch. I have yet to have an unpleasant experience. On this trip, I had some friends in from out of town who are all foodies, so I knew GM would be a great place to take them for brunch on Labor Day. We were not disappointed. While it took about 20 minutes to get seated, even with an Open Table reservation, considering it was a table for 7 including an infant and they were packed with a huge line out front, I didn't take offense at this. My guests were impressed with the diverse menu selections and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals and cocktails.Special Features:
- Checkin' out The MapleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Overall, I thought it was a nice brunch place. Really crowded, so definitely make reservations or try to go during the week. I don't think I would go back. Just too much noise and people everywhere! Also there's only one bathroom for each gender, so you might get stuck waiting in line.Special Features:
- Great service, quality foodKEG1Dined on 8/31/2014It was very good. I even ended up not liking my dish and they were more than happy to bring me another. I hate asking for that but the server was really cool about it and even felt bad because she had influenced my first order. Satisfied with great service!Special Features:
- Wonderful as always!emlakeDined on 8/30/2014My friends and I hadn't seen each other in a while, so when we thought of a great place with great food and service, we immediately thought of Great Maple. Leslie, our server, was fantastic with her suggestions. We come often as this is the 1 place in town where we know we can't miss!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BusyLouisaDined on 8/30/2014I've eaten at Great Maple about 6 times. I've always liked it, but this time the service was incredibly slow, despite the fact hat we arrived before the dinner crowd. And one of the wines listed on the wine list was not available! But I'll go back anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to eateryMegdenverDined on 8/30/2014We looked for a brunch place new Hillcrest and ended up coming to the Great Maple everyday after we discovered it until we had to head back to Denver. We fell in love with the food - the Lolliwaffle, the French toast log, and the BLT sandwich. The service was not only impeccable but the kind of homey niceness that makes you want to return over and over. Goodbye Snooze!Special Features:
- My favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014I'd heard about Great Maple from from friends for a while prior to trying it. I've been there a half dozen times now. My first time there, it earned the ranking of my favorite brunch spot and each time I'm there it gets even better. Fantastic food, great drinks, friendly attentive service and the most amazing maple bacon donuts for an appetizer. It's a must-try if you haven't been there yetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumfindmeyumDined on 8/30/2014This place exceeded my expectations. Had a deconstructed popover that was divine - yum. Had a drink that didn't quite go with my breakfast so they replaced it immediately no questions asked. Brought citronella candles to keep away the flies, checked on us often but didn't rush us. Great decor, great music. The only thing that wasn't a 5 star experience was having to wait in line for the single stall bathroom. Luckily the other ladies in line were super nice and we chatted it up the whole time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious neighborhood gemfoodloverVIPDined on 8/27/2014Great Maple is inventive, creative and delicious! Parmesan crusted popovers are not to be missed! Everything is artisanal, super fresh and we all loved it. Best steak tartare I've ever had!! On a side note, they have a parking lot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot donutsDavidDined on 8/26/2014Started dinner with one of their many great cocktails. Next was a Caesar salad which was better than most, but not the best, then moved onto the seared scallops which were perfection. The maple bacon donuts lived up to the hype, a stack of three freshly made donuts drenched in hot maple frosting with bits of thick bacon. One was more than enough per person, but the others traveled well. Our waitress was attentive and very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchIce75Dined on 8/24/2014The overall experience was very good. However, the service was slow and our water was never refilled. The taste of it, also, was indicating that it was coming directly out if the tap. Lastly, the bar should not be cleaned and reorganized at the end of the Brunch shift. Food was really good and we are looking forward to go again for dinner! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?DandyandyVIPDined on 8/23/2014The noise level was excruciatingly loud making a conversation impossible. The room was so criwded diners at tables in the room were constantly being jostled by the servers dashing by, adding to the atmosphere for a circus. While my pole ta with chorizo appetizer was beyond spectacular, my main course, mussels, came out as steak tartare! So my dinner partner and I ate I shifts. When the mussels came out 10 minutes later, there were fully 10 unopened mussels, approximately 1/3 of the order. The frittes were so heavily salted they made MacDonald's fries seem bland. The waitress did, on her own, reduce my dish by 50% on the check, but by that point we couldn't wait to escape the din into the cool and QUIET air.
- Filling and Delicious!CaitieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Aside from the extra 30 minute wait we had despite making a reservation (and then sitting our party at two round tables pushed together) the food here was really good. Lots of interesting (but large and filling!) dishes to choose from. Next time I come I would probably split a dish with someone and maybe try more appetizers. There was a little damper on the experience from the beginning, though, because we weren't seated until 30 minutes after our reservation time and we had to wait and watch a table linger after they had already paid their bill. I understand you can't force a table out of the restaurant, but maybe next time save a little more space in between reservations so you don't have a large party waiting around getting hungrier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed but goodSFFOODIEDined on 8/23/2014When you make enough room for an informative review, I will write one.Special Features:
- ExcellentMarcnValDined on 8/18/2014Everything was perfect! Food, service is awesome! Will definetely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food @ Great MapleJerryODined on 8/18/2014Wonderful addition to San Diego dining. New twists on old favorites and interesting new additions. Love the vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend brunch gem!AgnieszkaDined on 8/17/2014Boy am I glad that we made a reservation. If we hadn't the wait was over 1 1/2 hours. If we had to wait that long, I think we wouldn't have been able to enjoy our brunch. Luckily we were able to eat right away. There was a great selection of food choices on the menu. It gave us all something different to eat. I wish they had bottomless mimosa's. One major negative is there's only one women's restroom and one men's so you might be in line in the hallway waiting. The restroom is really large so they could make two stalls if possible. Our server was attentive, polite, and spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Brunch is super cracking. Total 180 for dinner service. Bacon maple donuts should be on everyone's want list. Also feel like their breakfast dishes are better than their dinner dishes.Special Features:
- Doesnt get much betterKevinDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I love this place. All the servers are genuinely nice people and the food is great. We took guests from out of town here and they loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Food with FriendsBiweeklyDinerVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great Place for good food with your sweetie or group of friends. Has a fun atmosphere with friendly staff. Try one of the drink specials and of course the Pie du Jour!Special Features:
- Always impressedcozeckDined on 8/12/2014Each time I walk Into the Great Maple I know I'm in for a spectacular meal. This is comfort food with the volume turned up. For instance their "Panchetta Parmesan Polenta" is comfort food at it's best. They have a unique menu that will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maple bacon donut.. WHAT?!?Maserati92101VIPDined on 8/10/2014The food and service were worth the small wait. We were going to pass on the donut but decided to try it. It was fantastic! A must experience! The scramble was also very good. Now I get why this place is popular!!Special Features: