Gray's on Main
332 W. Main St
Franklin, TN 37064Neighborhood:
Franklin / Brentwood
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Gray's on Main
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.graysonmain.com/
- Phone: 6154353603x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thu: 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Fri - Sat: 11:00 am - 12:00 am
Sun: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Wine
A word from Gray's on Main
Eclectic, yet traditional, Gray's menu reflects the best of the South in food, and focuses on locally sourced ingredients. The second floor bar and music hall features hand-crafted cocktails that celebrate the brandy culture of the late 19th century, along with live performances from Music City's finest. The third story holds a casual yet elegant space for our supper club members.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gray's on Main reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (77)fit for foodies (69)special occasion (51)hot spot (45)vibrant bar scene (42)good for groups (42)great for lunch (33)great for brunch (25)romantic (24)late-night find (24)scenic view (21)notable wine list (12)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- Gone to So SoWineWithEverythingVIPDined on 8/31/2014I was so disappointed, service was sub par, food was so so. I have been in the past and it each time it hasn't been as good as time before. I won't be recommending anymore.
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014We were at Grays for Sunday brunch. I cannot describe how incredible our food was. The sweet potatoes/pear combo was mouth-watering. The sweet tea banana pudding was so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, food and music.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I'm so happy my friend and I checked this place out. The food was delicious and we loved the music. What a great atmosphere...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GraysFranklin08302014JRAJDined on 8/30/2014Reservation through Open Table. Friendly hostess. Greeted by owner on second floor before being seated. Very friendly and informed server. Okra appetizer was excellent. Elk and Hanger Steak for entrees. Elk excellent. Hanger steak contained too much fat. Banana pudding dessert excellent. Music started before we left . . . jazz. Entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014The only issue was we ordered chicken to go for someone not with us and when we got home the chicken we noticed wasn't cooked properly. Looked fine from outside. Inside was completely raw. All the other meals were great. We'd still returnI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Surprise !!GeorgeBirthdayDined on 8/28/2014Had made (reservations) for my brother's birthday and he had never been to Grey's. What a surprise to be taken up to third floor with a window view and fabulous service from Brook. Everything we ordered was fabulous from the watermelon/kale salad, fried green tomatoes, lamb ribs to the chicken and waffles (my favorite). The dark beer and tonic water was a treat. We look forward to our next visit. Thank you to the staff and owners.Special Features:
- What's a Reservation???InexperiencedVIPDined on 8/22/2014Made the reservation for our Anniversary. When we arrived we were told we had no reservation. Even showing the young lady at the front seemed to cause her more of an issue than appreciating the fact it was an issue for us as well. Asked about two empty tables and was told "Those are held". The evening was salvaged by our waitress who took it upon herself to get a manager involved who 30 min later sat us up in a balcony like area. Even though it cost our original waitress her tip, it was a very nice thing to do. Don't know if Gray's will be on the list of wonderful dinning experiences in downtown Franklin anymore. Which is a shame, they really are a great place to take the risk of having youth, and obvious inexperience, jeopardize all that.Special Features:
- terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Our waiter was attentive for about the first 20 minutes.. then completed neglected us to chat with another table across the room. Had to ask multiple staff for water refills until we finally were able to get someone to come by. Would have spent even more on cocktails but did not have the opportunity to do so. Dessert took 45 minutes after we ordered it and waiter was extremly defensive/ unapologetic after asking about the status. Very dissapointing as it is such a neat historic renovation and we were so excited to try it. For a $130 meal (for 2) we won't be back.
- lacking... better when first openeddiningdivaDined on 8/20/2014I've eaten at Gray's several times - the menu seems to have gotten smaller and is on the pricey side for what's offered. The food is good, specialty drinks better. Good spot if you have plan to spend time visiting while waiting.
- Great food.FoodiesDined on 8/19/2014Great food but if you prefer less chaos asked to be seated up stairs. We did not enjoy the seating down stairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food has gone downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Been here several times, unfortunately the food was not fresh. You could tell the chicken on the salad was made the day before then placed on top. The ham and bacon on my eggs benedict was also premade then reheated. Not sure I am going to go back.
- Great DT Franklin RestaurantJPalkoDined on 8/15/2014Grays is a unique restaurant in downtown Franklin that has very cool decor. Live music on weekends as a great flavor. Cool bar on second level. Food selections are very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paying The RentTasteBudDined on 8/14/2014I reserved a table for four and upon walking into the restaurant, I was pleasantly greeted and whisked up to the second floor. I told the very friendly hostess that this was mine and my party's first visit so she gave us a window seat. The view was very nice as it looks over Main Street and had us eye level with the nostalgic Gray's Drugs sign. That was, by far, the highlight of the evening.Upon looking at the menu, the drinks, which is their claim to fame, were extremely expensive and the dinner menu was one of the most boring and limited that I've ever read. I am not quite sure what their food is all about. It's southern cooking with a twist? Expensive prices, average food, and just not a place I would revisit.Special Features:
- Great for drinks, not for foodVictoriaDined on 8/13/2014This place has an incredible ambience, perfect for drinks. The food was not very good for the price. Between the three of us, we tried the elk, the pork chop, and the creole mac. All three tasted bland, even the sides were poorly seasoned and had little taste.Special Features:
- Love itlucyluDined on 8/11/2014Great good and great drinks! They make their own tonics for their cocktails that are very good. The fried pimento cheese bites are yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rough start but got betterAimeeDined on 8/9/2014Our friends were playing and we booked ahead of time. We were escorted two flights of stairs so people with disabilities would not be able to enjoy the entertainment. The waitress put us by the entry way with food/people coming in and by the loud bar area so won't hear music. Waitress was VERY rude. The owner Michael Cole happen to be standing in the "sound set" area and heard it all. He also heard our comments about the rudeness, and we'll not be back etc. He finally came over and said he was moving us and moved us to a table closer up front. He also proceeded to continue checking on us all evening. The server we then had was very pleasant, knowledgeable about the menu. Mr. Cole also comp'd our sodas for the evening.Special Features:
- TennesseeJTDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I returned here for a second time on Saturday, August 9th. We used Open Table to reserve the table. We were immediately seated upon arrival. Both my wife and I were both impressed with the table choice. We were given an intimate 2 top located by one of the front windows. We could see the all of the happenings on West Main that evening which added to the overall experience. The food was great as usual, and the service was impeccable. We tasted wine and spirits from their bar, and enjoyed an appetizer, salad, 2 main courses, and 2 deserts. All courses were outstanding. We'll certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodLuvfranklinDined on 8/8/2014Had the beer cheese soup with kale and it was too bitter. Also had a dirty martini in which they used the kalamata olives. This totally changed the taste of a dirty martini and it was not good. My husband had the snapper which he said was good but couldn't eat the rice because it was too pasty. The waitress brought him dirty rice as a replacement but he said it wasn't much betterSpecial Features:
- Another Visit to Gray'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014My husband and I have been to Gray's several times and it has always been great. This time we took my parents and my aunt and uncle. The food was wonderful as always. Our service was not good this time though. She started off great and then we barely saw her half way through our meal. We had to flag down another waitress several times to get refills, order desserts etc. Although disappointing this was the first time we have had back service. Gray's is always a great meal.Special Features:
- Very disappointed not recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014My wife and I went to Gray's for our anniversary because we saw the menu online and it said there were vegan options-she's a vegetarian. When we got there and went to order, waiter told us there were no vegan options other than mixed vegetables. I ordered Catfish with "dirty rice" and specifically asked if there was sausage in the dirty rice. The waiter checked with kitchen and said no, just seafood. When food delivered, rice full of sausage. I asked for plain rice and after 10 minutes waiter brought lime cilantro rice that was burned and inedible. Will not be going back.
- Need some help with ServiceLizzieDCarrollDined on 8/3/2014We have been to Gray's on Main 4 - 5 times. Each time the food was wonderful. The servers have been attentive a couple of times that we've been there, but otherwise, the service has been extremely slow. Once we came in and sat at the bar and waited (and waited...and waited...), only to finally leave to go to Cork and Cow. What was most frustrating was the employee standing at the station just past the bar checking his phone. While he may not have been a trained bartender, a "hello, someone will be right with you" would have been appreciated. We understand if it is busy, but please at least acknowledge us. We really want to love this place! But the food and drinks (as wonderful as they are) are not worth the poor service.Special Features:
- Slowest service EVERoverwaitingDined on 8/2/2014I absolutely love the drinks and menu at Gray's on Main but the service is SO slow. Our 5th time dining with Gray's, and it has consistently taken 20 minutes to be brought water, another 45 for our first round of cocktails, and over 90 minutes to see appetizers. This has happened EVERY visit. I'm so disappointed because I LOVE THE food, but can't handle the slow service, was never checked out, no water refilled, and don't get me started about trying to order a second cocktail.. that'd take another 5 hours I'm sure..Special Features:
- Very noisy for music venueJumpty101Dined on 8/1/2014Food & service were fine but for a venue that features music I found the venue entirely too noisy & the audience was loud to the point of being disrespectful to the artist performing. Since I was expecting to have dinner & listen to some music I guess 1/2 the experience was ok. I would go back for a drink or maybe an appetizer but if the want to be known for providing a quality music experience they have some work to do.Special Features:
- Disappointingrintn10Dined on 8/1/2014Had heard good things about this place and tried it on a Friday night. The crowd was a mix of diners and music fans there to hear the band. last week. Drinks were good, although it took awhile to get them. The asparagus appetizer was cold and and had little taste, the fried pimento cheese was very good. The lobster mac and cheese was a few pieces of lobster served over Kraft macaroni from a box. My wife had the snapper but it not very flavorful. The three piece band was mediocre at best and I hope they are better songwriters than singers.
- Just OKJACRDined on 8/1/2014The Manhattan (drink) and desserts were the best! The food was nothing special. My husband had the herb chicken and was still hungry afterward. The cornbread skilled had something in the bottom of the pan that they cooked it (like some type of flavored oil maybe??) with and it was not good, but the top was OK. The Cobb salad was just ok. The chicken on it was good but I wish I had gotten something else - maybe the shrimp and grits. Upstairs is loud and "energetic". Sit downstairs for more quiet. Glad we went but probably won't go again.Special Features:
- July 30thJuly30Dined on 7/30/2014Cool vibe, but we were freezing inside. We got 4 apps to share for 3 adults. They were good, but not a lot of food. Entrees seemed pricey. Might go back for drinks and I'll bring a jacket.Special Features:
- less than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014First time...was Sunday brunch...food was really not grat..just okay...service was slow...very few cusomers but server was doing bar and just one table Very underwhelmed..no soup...no appetizers... likly will give it one more visit for regular meal..but not a good experience for visitors or us
- Great place to eat.sweetteeDined on 7/26/2014This was our first time at Gray's on Main. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- KaybillDined on 7/26/2014The evening was very enjoyable and food & drink were good. We plan to come back again.Special Features:
- A bit disappointedwildpigletDined on 7/25/2014We brought out of town guests to Gray's but we were disappointed. As we entered, we were told that since we had make reservations via OpenTable were going upstairs to listen to the band. OK, that sounds good, but there was a $10 per person charge. WHAT? Our guests said they would pay the cover charge. Not too happy about that. I ordered a Dark and Stormy. Not sure what arrived but is was not a Dark and Stormy. Our guests were happy with their food but my husband's swordfish pasta was uneventful. Just some pasta with tiny pieces of swordfish. I forgot what I ordered. The waiter pretty much disappeared after serving us. But the band was very good. There are so many great restaurants in Nashville. I would not come back to Gray's.Special Features:
- Southern and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/25/2014Do not go to Gray's if you are trying to eat light. What you do go to Gray's for are great drinks, a cornbread skillet with bacon butter, some fried green tomatoes and numerous other full fat delights.Special Features:
- awesome ambience, great foodolenatchezDined on 7/25/2014Turn off the century converted drugstore with a lot of the original structure preserved...great food...especially the shrimp and grits, great drinks, great service right on main street next to the square - perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceGFbutyummyDined on 7/25/2014Had a great time catching up with old friend...service was great and even with my food issues was able to find something to eat...server was able to describe different foods that were available with my limitations, would have preferred a menu to look at but they(special menu) weren't available yet...being worked on so that was promising! They also carry my favorite GF beer! Later on in the evening, the music on the second floor was way too loud to have any conversation...I think the volume is a little overwhelming for the space that it's in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time is a charmSpecialOccasionsDined on 7/22/2014Service was great, ambience was excellent, food was just okay; fried green tomato's were the exception, very tasty. Selections were limited and strange.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed Bagwms3VIPDined on 7/20/2014The specialized cocktail menu was excellent. Very unique. The small plates were varied and the three we tried were really good. As for the main course selections, the menu felt unnecessarily limited. The entrees we selected were tasty, but there wasn't very much to choose from.
- Good foodMikeEatsOutDined on 7/19/2014Enjoyed the dinner, appetizers, and service. Reservation suggested, crowded and popular place in downtown Franklin. Great for a date night.Special Features:
- Gray's Is ConfusedSpringHillFoodieDined on 7/19/2014Just went to Gray's this past weekend, 7/19/14, and came away really unimpressed. Loved the menu, big fan of Southern cuisine, but the execution of pretty much the entire meal was substandard. Ordered the cornbread (the highlight of the meal), breaded Okra, and a couple of pasta entree's and they all came out lukewarm to cold. Ordered the swordfish pasta and the lobster mac and both seemed like store bought components that had been thrown together. Our server was great but you could tell she had way too many tables to cover so service was slow all night, which might account on why everything was cold. Hate to be so critical but do yourself a favor and try somewhere else.Special Features:
- Franklin hot spotfranklinetteDined on 7/18/2014still room for improvement. Service is a little slow, unorganized (forget silverware, etc) Entertainer sang for 1 hour only on a Saturday nite....lots of disappointed guests great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and delishYummyTNDined on 7/17/2014We had a group of old friends getting together and had a great experience. Ambiance is eclectic and casual but still feels special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time experienceSharkBaitDined on 7/12/2014This was my first time there and I found all of the staff to be VERY friendly and professional and my reservation was ready at the requested time. They were out of some food items and it was only 7:15 in the evening but what I got was very good. Decided to just have the appetizers. It is rather crowded and noisy so going for a romantic evening with good conversation could be challenging.Special Features: