135 South Wilmington Street
Raleigh, NC 27601Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gravyraleigh.com/
- Phone: 9198968513x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon- Fri: 11:00AM-4:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Brent Hopkins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We're now offering group catering! Please call the restaurant at 919.896.8513 for more information.
- Special Events: For information regarding private dining, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919.896.8513.
A word from Gravy
Ask any Italian-American what ‘gravy’ is, and they'll tell you it's the pasta sauce that their mothers and grandmothers cooked fresh every night. At Gravy Restaurant we take the same care, preparing our signature sauce every day using select tomatoes and locally grown herbs. The heart and soul poured into the preparation of traditional Italian-American dishes pairs with inspired modern twists and a focus on seasonal ingredients to define Gravy’s unique approach to this classic cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Gravy - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
Gravy reviews from OpenTable diners
170 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)neighborhood gem (66)special occasion (54)romantic (52)good for groups (34)notable wine list (34)hot spot (26)great for lunch (24)late-night find (16)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Good not greatJamesVIPDined on 10/26/2014After living in DC and NYC for a decade, I've found the bar for Italian restaurants much lower in Carolina. Gravy isn't bad, but it's also not any better than Macaroni Grill. The kale caesar salad was probably the most interestimg part of the meal. The chicken parmesian was pretty standard.
- Good but not exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014When one thinks of gravy i envision a crusty loaf of bread to scoop the remaining sauce from my plate. Not the case here. With such a good bakery in town theres an opportunity much missed. Broccoli is tender broccoli not the heads of a mature bunch partially blanched with lemon juice and finally the dessert was stale. Sorry gravy it was a much anticipated trip that left us empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Date NightAshevilliantakesonRaleighDined on 10/24/2014Went for our anniversary dinner, we started very wonderful cocktails, then we split the risotto balls as our appetizer, they were amazing! We both had one of their pasta dishes and both were so very tasty and large servings. All there pasta is house made and you can tell, it's some of the best italian style pasta dishes I've ever had. Then for dessert we had the Budino, it stole the show, very tasty! Overall a great experience and I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Wait to Come BackOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/24/2014This was our first time having dinner at Gravy. We had been to the restaurant for lunch about six months ago when I was interviewing prior to moving here from Florida. We "re-discovered" the restaurant during a walk-about to explore the downtown area and made reservations for the following Friday night. The food was superb, the staff even better. A special thanks to Trisha (our server) for assisting with the wine selection. This may have been our first time having dinner at Gravy, but it most definitely will not be our last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find - loved it!!!deeluv2Dined on 10/23/2014This our first visit to Gravy's and we loved it. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Just OKpjandpjDined on 10/20/2014We split the kale salad and the minestro soup and both were excellent. The main courses were not so good. My wife had the bolognese which was tasteless and dry. It certainly didn't have rich full taste we are are accustomed to. I had the orecchiette and sausage and it was poorly prepared. When they cooked the orecchiette they failed to stir the pot so the pasta was stuck together in several layers. The homemade sausage on the other hand was excellent. With the exception of the sausage the dish was tasteless as well. In retrospect I should returned the dish because of the pasta.
- excellentJeanieDined on 10/18/2014Had a wonderful dinner. Great service and delicious meal. If you like Italian, this is your go to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refreshing findDirkinRaleighDined on 10/17/2014We found Gravy by googling, and saw that it had great reviews. They're open until 11pm, so it's good for a later dinner as well. The calamari appetizer was fantastic. I had the chicken a la matone, delicious if a bit too much oil (seasoning was very tasty). My wife had the family gravy, good meats but the sauce was just tomato, could do with more basil and garlic. It just lacked flavor. The evening's winner was my daughter's chicken parmigiana. The breeding was light and crispy, meat cooked to perfection and cheese melted overt the top (she asked for the gravy on the side). Desert was the marscapone cheesecake, ice cream sandwich and tiramisu. I would recommend Gravy, it's well above average.Special Features:
- Very EnjoyablePKfoodieVIPDined on 10/17/2014Dined here for the first time with my husband and daughter. We got there about 20 minutes before our reservation, but they were able to seat us right away. It did take a little too long for any wait staff to check in on us, but not so long we got mad. The wine, beer and bar selections were very good. Our food was excellent. We would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpresseddinnerdawgDined on 10/12/2014Unfortunately we did not have a very good experience this past Sunday for brunch. We ordered the donuts and they were still cold in the middle when they brought them back they were now oil soaked about halfway thru. After that we decided not to eat anything else paid our over priced bill and left. The one thing I do want to say is we did have good service.
- Great timeTheCarterEatsDined on 9/30/2014Server was friendly and we never felt over or under served. Great weeknight out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple, tasty foodJaneDined on 9/26/2014Gravy isn't the largest restaurant ever but for the amazingly, simplistic menu of food, it's quite delightful and worth it to be crammed in together. They have a nice Italian wine list, however, mostly bottle options and other cocktails of choice. Definitely a great place for a romantic dinner or to catch up with a few friends.Special Features:
- Decentlumonsta1Dined on 9/24/2014The garlic knots they brought as our complimentary bread were very good! I went with friends, and one got the ravioli, one got an eggplant dish, one got the lasagna, and I got the strozzapreti with Italian sausage. All were "decent" in my opinion. I thought my sausage would have been sliced and not ground, so essentially it tasted like spaghetti with odd noodles. There were also no olives in mine, as the menu said, and the "gravy" was very minimal. All in all the meal was good, but it seemed like I could make everything easily at home for much less money. I had heard great things about this place and was slightly disappointed.Special Features:
- Don't Get Take OutDissapointedDined on 9/24/2014Had a wonderful meal with a friend but when ordered the same meal I had a the restaurant for take out (and paid the same price), they gave me half the serving i had in the restaurant.
- Like my Nonna was in the kitchenluvs2eatDined on 9/22/2014This place never fails to please! I could just order the caprese salad and the risotto balls and make it a meal! Both are wonderful. The heirloom tomatoes in the caprese are incredible, seasoned just right, fresh mozzarella has some substance to it and the whole thing is big enough to share! The "gravy" is just like my Sicilian Nonna made, loose, flavorful, and robust. Everything on the menu is well executed. The herb roasted chicken is moist, tender, and has just right char. The Family gravy is my favorite... all the good stuff, meatball, sausage, short rib and penne...yum.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningShellGrayDined on 9/20/2014Celebrated our anniversary and met up with friends. Food was fantastic, wine choice, made by bartender was great, service was great, I never have a bad experience at Gravy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat lunchPickydiners2Dined on 9/20/2014Food was only OK, with one of our meals not good at all; did not eat it.
- Excellent food,informal environmentDonzerDined on 9/17/2014Rice balls, calamari, ravioli, canelloni were excellent. Informal atmosphere. We would definitely like to return and try additional menu itemsI would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite place to eat!latenightdinerDined on 9/14/2014Due to late work schedules (yes, even on the weekends) we needed to find a restaurant where we could still get seated at 9 pm on a Sunday evening. Gravy is one of the few open that late. However, every time I have been there, the food has been great and the service excellent, in spite of us being there so late. My hat's off to the staff!Special Features:
- Raleigh's little ItalyNomNomDined on 9/13/2014The food was phenomenal!! Perfect location and noisy at all. Definitely going back for the risotto balls!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!buck238Dined on 9/10/2014Have been wanting to try Gravy for a while, finally got to go on my birthday. The garlic knots pre-meal were really good and the eggplant pie was delicious! Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerNikkiDDined on 9/6/2014This was our first time at Gravy, and we were celebrating my birthday. Everything was wonderful, from the service to the food! I had the bolognese and it was delicious. It is clear the chef has a great understanding of Italian food and culture. I would highly recommend spending a night here with loved ones!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gravylindaVIPDined on 8/26/2014Loved it. Really great time food was delicious. We will come back and recommend to friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- firestorm126Dined on 8/24/2014We went during Raleigh Restaurant week since we'd been wanting to go for awhile. Everything was very good!Special Features:
- Lacking Good Italian Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014We visited during DTL Restaurant Week which we always use as a method to try new restaurants in the area. I think this is a great opportunity for restaurants to bring in new clientele and wow them with service to bring in new business. Gravy certainly did not do that! We sat in the cellar area. Our server lacked energy and enthusiasm and almost seemed annoyed to be at work. He neglected to mention anything about the regular menu, restaurant week menu or even try to suggest wine, beer etc. To me, service makes a restaurant experience and this was severely lacking at Gravy. There were multiple occasions where our water glasses stood empty. The lasagna was very salty and the chicken pesto was swimming in oil and lacked any flavor dimension.
- Great foodbrightdiverVIPDined on 8/24/2014Just love the food and service. Eggplant pie is fabulous. Came during restaurant week and was delighted.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday DinnersdreeseDined on 8/24/2014I chose to have my birthday dinner with my family at Gravy. It was amazing! The best calamari I have ever eaten. It melts in your mouth. Their gravy is delicious with a deep tomato and garlic flavor with just the right amount of spice. I love their lasagna and this was not the first time I have eaten it, it's why I came back to Gravy. You can't go wrong. Wine list is great, I didn't have wine this time but have in past visits. I find that the wine choices pair very well with the food. Our server was exceptionally friendly and accommodating. My son is lactose intolerant and she was happy to make sure his choices were adjusted for his needs. Such a great neighborhood place that is upscale enough for foodies and professionals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinearoundVIPDined on 8/23/2014Intimate local restaurant. The service was attentive and well versed on menu items.Delicious cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014went for a date night and it was amazing! great place to have a date night and the food was outstanding!! also their specialty cocktails were awesome!!Special Features:
- Gravy ReviewReviewByKatieDined on 8/22/2014We absolutely love this place. The food is fantastic, and the service couldn't be better.Special Features:
- YUMaeb14Dined on 8/20/2014Went to this place for a mid-week date night. The food and wine was very delicious and great service. My food actually came out a little cool and they brought me out a compete new dish. They went above and beyond what I ask for and the food was worth the wait of the new one! A great place to for a date and relaxed atmosphere. I will be visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FanTASTIC Experience!table42Dined on 8/20/2014We visited during Restaurant week, and while it was busy, the service was EXCELLENT and prompt! The food was AMAZING! The Lasagna was TO DIE FOR and the Fried Risotto balls were a decadent treat! My friend got the Gnocci and that was FABULOUS, as were the Chicken Pesto, chocolate torte, & Peach Panacotte!! A definite MUST! We will most certainly visit again!!!Special Features:
- chuckDined on 8/20/2014Very good selection of menu/food and wine items. Plate presentation very eye appealing and food is tasty Salad, entree and dessert is too much of a meal: entree and dessert could be split.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- phoenixDined on 8/20/2014The rice balls were delicious but the my entrée (chicken with presto) was only okay. It was something I could easily make at home. My husband got a seafood dish and said that was also only okay, but he did like his ceasar salad. The service was not very good.
- Excellent for the pallettePov3Dined on 8/18/2014The food at Gravy was excellent. Each member of my family ordered something different for each course and we all shared a taste. My husband of 26 years--who never shares his meal--actually wanted the rest of us to taste how good his dish was! EVERYTHING was truly wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go again in a heart beat!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014My wife and I tried Gravy as part of the downtown Raleigh restaurant week. She is a lover of Italian food (I enjoy it very much as well) and has been wanting to go for quite some time. We thought this was the perfect opportunity. We were thoroughly impressed with the food, the service and the atmosphere. We will absolutely go back to Gravy. I highly recommend the Risotto Balls!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food not great foodElonNCDined on 8/17/2014Tried this spot after reading reviews on TA. The food was good but not exceptional.
- Good RestaurantMarinemomDined on 8/16/2014This was our first visit to your restaurant and can say we were not disappointed. We plan to return with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMLizTVIPDined on 8/15/2014went here for the first time and loved it! you must try to risotto balls! delicious!Special Features:
- Not so GRAVYGoodGrubDined on 8/14/2014First opportunity to try out the Gravy restaurant. I had heard good things about it. However, the service was bad, the choices were minimal, the portions were small and pricey, although I did enjoy the raviolli (what little there was on the plate, anyway). Don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.