Grata Restaurant and Wine Bar
1076 first ave
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Grata Restaurant and Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gratanyc.com/
- Phone: 212-842-0007x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12 noon - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12 midnight
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 12noon - 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Hido Holli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Have Grata cater your office party or home event and we will make it the most memorable and enjoyable experience.
- Entertainment: Tues 8-11pm Sandy Jordan sings the American Songbook
Wed 8-11pm John Weiss play piano dinner music
Thurs.8-11pm Sol Yaged swing his clarinet Benny Goodman style
Fri 9:30-midnight King of Soul/R&B Tony Middleton
Sat 9-midnight Sarah Hayes swings the standards
- Special Events: Grata joyously celebrates all Holidays! Calandar Holidays, Birthdays, school/camp reunions, bridal showers, Bar-Mitzvahs, Confirmations, etc. are always a Holiday to Behold and Enjoy at Grata.
A word from Grata Restaurant and Wine Bar
From the cream-colored, beamed ceilings, exposed brick walls, handsome tables made of huge chunks of rich cordova-colored mango wood, Grata restaurant will please your eyes with its hardwood floors, and a long curved bar that will greet you near the entrance. Grata is serving world-cuisine with Mediterranean influences and doesn't not dwindle its efforts on single country or region. Grata is a Latin for welcome, and it's been a proprietor's promise that "You are going to be well-taken care of here".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Grata Restaurant and Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)romantic (5)good for groups (5)great for lunch (4)fit for foodies (3)late-night find (3)special occasion (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Welcoming place on east side.LeahVIPDined on 8/16/2014Thus us truly a neighborhood place w/o too many tourists, which my husband and I like. The food was good, service very accommodating, and vibe very homey. Our two appetizers were very good. The 1/2 plate if pasta I got was more than ample for my entree. My husband's ribeye steak was large but cooked more than he ordered. When we arrived most of the dining room was populated with a group waiting to surprise someone for their 40th birthday. We thought it was fun to be part of that. Would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to rate high...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Wanted to give it 5 stars overall but had to hold back due to the food being overly salty. We ordered the meatballs, ravioli and salmon avocado and all three dishes were so salty that we ended up consuming more water and sadly had to stop ordering more. The service was outstanding... if only the food met the standards...Special Features:
- ExcellentjasonlikestoeatVIPDined on 7/18/2014We have been here before. The music was nice. We had two appetizers which were very tasty, main dish was excellent as well.Special Features:
- Lovely place with great live musicBartlebonesDined on 7/18/2014My wife and I had a lovely evening there over the weekend. The weather was fine, the front windows were open and a impressive jazz quartet was playing. The food was quite good and the service was attentive without being overbearing. I had a very nice veal chop and my wife had the salmon special. Both were quite good. I ordered a Chianti and though they were out of the particular vintage I chose, they were able to find a more than adequate substitute at the same price point. Altogether a lovely, romantic evening in a cozy place. Our waiter informed us that the restaurant would be converting to a steakhouse soon, though, so only time will tell if the ownership can retain the charm of the existing place as they transition to a new cuisine.Special Features:
- Total waste of money and appititeEatwirhloveDined on 7/5/2014It was July 4th weekend, a good friend gave me a $200 gift certificate the he bought from this place. Reservation was not an issue. We arrived to the restaurant at 7:30 to an empty restaurant. There was a single table beside us. My wife ordered 1 cocktail ( she said it was the only thing was worth $)and the rest of us ordered water. Ordered appetizers. Calamari was cooked in burnt oil and served with tomato sauce witch you need a knife to cut through . Salmo was the worst thing I have ever tasted. Served with kale and potato $28. Seafood special( the biggest ripoff in the history of restaurant, We orders 2 veal chop special( they came breaded and fried at $42 ea. my 15 years old daughter missed the olive garden food. At $266.00 I
- Will never go back againStarrtreksVIPDined on 6/27/2014The food was awful. Two veal meals were sent back, and two pasta dishes arrived which were no better. Restaurant did not deal well with the issue just apologized and offered drinks
- Quiet lunch spotwineloverVIPDined on 6/18/2014I took a coworker here for her birthday for lunch. The only other patrons were two table of ladies playing cards. It's a little expensive for lunch and the portions are fairly small but I enjoyed by food and the a/c! I might be back for happy hour.Special Features:
- Business lunchJerseyJoeDined on 6/5/2014Great neighborhood spot, off the beaten path in Midtown. Very good for business discussions, as typically quiet at lunch time. Atmosphere very comfortable. Service very friendly and attentive. Pasta dishes were very good. Nice food selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grata RestaurantjucoonthetownDined on 5/31/2014Nice italian restaurant, close to 59th street bridge.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/27/2014Lovely food, nice moderate portions, very pleasant atmosphere. i will go back.Special Features:
- The following 94 reviews are from the Grata Restaurant and Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Tucked awayDknyVIPDined on 5/2/2014This secretive spot shouldn't be. Personalized attention to food and service make it a must-try. Good at customizing your order as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is a lovely restaurant...goodBettyYarmonVIPDined on 4/1/2014It is a lovely restaurant...good for its food and its service. The staff coule not be better, nor could the food. Love to go there. Betty YarmonSpecial Features:
- Never disappointed at Grata!RolexDined on 3/30/2014the service is always excellent especially from Alex and Alejandro. the grilled octopus appetizer is out of this world! the Salmon is great too. We have never ordered something at Grata and not liked it. Grata is beyond Great!Special Features:
- Dora and staff were amazingthenessgroupDined on 3/26/2014Can't thank Dora and her staff for another great time out. The food and wine were perfect and the next time we are back to New York we we certainly go again. Maybe twice like we did this past week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab Bday CelebrationNYCHaynesVIPDined on 3/22/201415 adults and 2 children under 10 and we ALL enJOYed the ambience/ service and most importantly the food - I can highly recommend the meatballs as an appetizer staple - the fresh/warm focaccia bread is always a nice touch - from pasta to beet salad and roasted artichokes - duck medallions, steak and mussels in white wine the variety and taste-buds of everyone were truly satisfied - the coconut passion fruit desert was to live toSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy customersthenessgroupDined on 3/22/2014Manager came over and talked to us which she didn't have to. Made the night a little more special. Food was very good and we are going back again later in the week. Price was very reasonable. Good location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodLoveFoodDined on 3/22/2014Loved the selection of food and the service was outstanding. Great place to take a group of people for any type of event, or special person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changed my mindNYCpersonVIPDined on 3/20/2014The last time I reviewed Grata I was concerned that the place had gone south..meaning it was going down hill and would eventually close. The food, at that time, was not good especially given the price point. Well, I went back the other night to give it a last try before I took it off my "place to dine" list. I was pleased to see that the food was back to being very good again. The service has always been top notch. I will definately be back and I am very happy to see that food experience has changed for the better. Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A++++GinaDined on 3/11/2014This is our second time back AWESOME FOOD and WONDERFUL SERVICE!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordered the grilled shrimpEmilyVIPDined on 3/8/2014Ordered the grilled shrimp salad. Salad came to the table without shrimp, endives, or any other ingredients listed on the menu.
- New DiscoveryLove2EatGWDined on 2/28/2014Upon arriving at Grata , the first thing we noticed was the decor. Very warm feeling, yet calm and cozy. The wait staff was very pleasant and attentive. We decided to share three dishes . We didn't have to ask to stagger the courses , the waiter suggested it. We shared the barata salad, which was delicious. The handmade tortellini was delicate and filled with a pesto and had a buttery sage sauce. Then we shared Chicken Francaise. It was on a bed of tender spinach-the chicken was light and tender as well. The waiter brought us complimentary strawberries drizzled with blueberry sauce. Just the right end to this delicious meal. Would definitely return. So glad this opened in the neighborhood! 'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the ownerbeanieDined on 2/20/2014We had lunch at Grata before going for a major medical procedure at a facility down the block. The owner came over and engaged us in some very delightful coversation!!Too bad we live in New Jersery or we would come in at night for the life jazz. He mangaged to calm me down (and even sang) for my procedure and we enjoyed a most delicious lunch to boot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Valentine's Day menuOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/14/2014Nice Valentine's Day menu but the service could have be improved. It wasn't a lack of service but rather too many people all over us and a lack of coordination among them. If they could smooth out the edges and try to serve people a little more fluidly it would not result in bringing courses in the wrong order or a three people asking us for our drink order. It's a nice spot with great potential but they need to get it right if they want to be here next year on valentine's day.
- Service was definitely off.nebraska77VIPDined on 2/12/2014Service was definitely off. Had to ask for wine list, had to ask for menus, had to ask for bread, and there were three people and they only filled 2 glasses with water. Waiters and staff seemed more interested in chatting among themselves than waiting on the tables. This often happens when it is a slow night. I've eaten there several times before so as I said this may have been an off night. Probably be awhile before I go back.Special Features:
- Almost wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/12/2014Restaurant was completely empty at 2:00 on Wed--which was perfect. My lunch date was late and I sat comfortably for 30 minutes looking at the lunch menu, the special Valentine menu and having tea. However when the other party arrived we had to seek the attention of the manager as there appeared to only be bus service and no waiters. The wait staff seemed to arrive @ 4 when we were leaving. In spite of this I must say the food was excellent - I highly recommend the fish soup. i suspect dinner service is better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something has changed andNYCpersonVIPDined on 2/5/2014Something has changed and not for the better. The room is still pretty and the service is quite good . However, the food has taken a turn for the worst. I am hoping that is was an off night because I really like this place otherwise. My pasta, which was a special that night, was soggy and not al dente . The soup I had was odd because it tasted like flour. Others that I was having dinner with felt the same about their meals too. I really cannot forgive bad food even if the ambience and service is top notch. After all, I am there to eat. I have rated Grata highly in the past and felt that is was a great addition to the neighborhood. I hope that this night was the exception and not the new normal.
- Something different for brunchlhasadatchiVIPDined on 2/2/2014Very accommodating and friendly service. Great food that was refreshingly different from the usual brunch fare. Ambiance was relaxing and just what was needed after a busy week. Enjoyed thoroughly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awkward vibe, disappointing overallMidtownEastResidentVIPDined on 2/1/2014Was a most unsatisfactory experience on a Saturday night. Apathy from the staff, lack of knowledge about the food and beverages, sloppy service, and unappetizing food. No acknowledgement from staff when 80% of an entree left untouched. Would not return, other than for a glass of wine to enjoy with the live music that is offered.
- Excellent experience, niceNathanDined on 2/1/2014Excellent experience, nice place to have a drink at the bar before your dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise findCiyweekendDined on 1/10/2014Old style restaurant with a hip sensibility. Excellent lamb special on the bone, large shank in a fragrant stew like sauce . Surprise of a live band and French singer . We felt like we were in Paris .Special Features:
- New YearsmidtownVIPDined on 12/31/2013This could be off because of New Years. Soup took over an hour to be served and it was plainly obvious owners friends were getting preferential service. Appetizers were wrong, and cold. Pasta was gummy. Main course of Cornish hen was good, but osso bucco was cold. Mousse for dessert ok, fresh fruit looked like something they dumped out of a can.Special Features:
- While Grata is a little onNYCBobVIPDined on 12/16/2013While Grata is a little on the expensive side for a neighborhood regular it is lovely for special occasions. The food was very good and the service was attentive, as well. The room is very nicely appointed and it was very busy on the night we went. We waited at the bar 20 minutes for a 7:30 reservation. Unfortunately we were squeezed into a table for two where the waiters were constantly bumping into us and there was absolutely no light. Finally I got up and moved a chair to make it more accessible for the waiters. Overall it was a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrataIceIceBabyDined on 12/15/2013We went to Grata on Sunday night for the birthday celebration of jazz piano great Barry Harris. The band was phenomenal!! We hadn't been in before but if they schedule music nights often...we WILL be back!! Our salad was fresh and good and the grilled octopus had nice flavor. I'd stick with the appetizers for sure and the sangria was nice. But the MUSIC! Awesome.Special Features:
- Good surprisedrioriorioDined on 12/15/2013The another review was not very good so I didn't expected they have very nice food. However they made us great surprise! The home made pasta was so good, the appetizer was everything we order was very good, also their service was so nice. I really recommend this restaurant for everyone. The room was very clean and modern design so you can have a great date there. Also this restaurant has enough space for big family party, too.Special Features:
- The maitre d' who sat us,sportyVIPDined on 12/10/2013The maitre d' who sat us, also provided daily specials and took our food order. He was annoyed when we inquired how one of the specials was prepared and additionally was imperious upon greeting us at the door. Though the restaurant was only half occupied, the service was poor, such as appetizers being served to our table which belonged at another, as well as long lags between courses. This was our third time dining at this restaurant, however based on our last experience it will most likely be our last.
- We went for an early SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2013We went for an early Sunday dinner (5 o'clock), so it was a quiet time, and I can't speak for the noise at true lunch, dinner, or later evening. Our food was delicious, the service excellent, and the ambiance absolutely lovely. I'll be happy to return and to recommend this to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrataMidtown341Dined on 11/23/2013Grata's food and service is well above norm. An outstanding neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Wow cuisine + Sol Yaged's music!DrCW07VIPDined on 11/21/2013Food incredibly fresh, beautifully prepared to requests, fantastic grilled octopus ...my favorite in the neighborhood. Each and every dietary requirement was met with grace by the wonderful wait staff and we were allowed to try various wines before deciding which met with our palates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, a jewel for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/19/2013This fairly new neighborhood restaurant is a perfect oasis for a quiet lunch. The setting is neat and spaceous, the food is quite good, the meny varied, the service attantive and most polite. The only thing that they should work on is their pricing for lunch. Unfotunately, as nice as the place is, there are too many restaurants in the area that serve equally good food for a lot less. For this place to get the attention and clientele it deserves, they have to be competitive with their pricing, their prices, specially for lunch, are far too high to be competitive. I wish them all the best, the place is a very nice addition to the area, if the prices were not so high, I would go there more often for lunch, and would love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2013What kind of wine bar doesn't carry any bottles of Pinot Noir?