1721 N. Damen
Chicago, IL 60647Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.grassfedbucktown.com/
- Phone: 7733426000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Burgers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Grass Fed
Grass Fed is simple bistro-style restaurant focusing on a down-to-earth menu highlighting Grass Fed beef. Open for lunch, dinner and brunch on weekends, Grass Fed strives to provide a warm convivial environment to enjoy high quality grass-fed products, fine wines and simply good food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Grass Fed reviews from OpenTable diners
- Quaint Neighborhood Restaurantcarolinaqt2gVIPDined on 2/3/2014I enjoyed the charm of this restaurant. It made me feel like it was the cool spot in a country town. Excellent food though. Everything was fresh and flavorful. I enjoyed the beets to start and the scallops as my entree. As we dined a big group stopped into take a shot on their celebration trolley tour which I thought was fun. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Don't believe the bad Yelp reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/29/2014Those people must have eaten at a different restaurant (or maybe I just got lucky). I went for restaurant week, got the steak and it was delicious and flavorful. And the dessert was delicious and came out while it was still warm (yum!). The mixed drinks were good but could have been better (which is why I gave them 4 stars on food instead of 5), but other than that, it was a perfect meal.Special Features:
- Restaurant weekKBPBDined on 1/24/2014Steaks were good. Spaghetti squash was good. Salads were tiny. Attended during restaurant week and ordered off Restaurant week menu, which included desert, which I do not eat. I could not sub some simple veggie for the desert. Waitress lacking in the personality dept. But overall enjoyed my meal and the company it was shared with. Love the idea of grassfed beef.Special Features:
- Nice place, decent food.Foodie4lifeDined on 1/24/2014Great ambience. The food was decent, but I expected it to be better than it was. They need to season their steak more, but other than that, it was great. Excellent service. Staff was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but very small menuMorganVIPDined on 1/18/2014We live in the area and ate at Grass Fed for the first time this past weekend for my husband's birthday. The menu was very small, but everything we had (meat/cheese plate, steak, lamb chops, chocolate cake) was well prepared and tasted great. Our server was nice and attentive. The overall look and feel of GF is more of a brunch place...everything is white and the tables are very close to each other...so much so that it felt like communal dining when then next couple was seated next to us...heard every word. Overall it was a good experience and we would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not monitoring open tableShutoutDined on 12/25/2013We made a reservation on OT, showed up, and were told that the restaurant was closing for a private party. No "can I help you" and no real apology - just a ton of attitude. I won't be trying again.
- Nice, peaceful ambience. UniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/13/2013Nice, peaceful ambience. Unique food that's not risky to try.Special Features:
- One of the best burgers aroundthepoorchitownfoodieDined on 11/13/2013I was just looking for an easy mid-week spot to dine with my mother and we chose this place based mostly on convenience. The chopped salad and butternut squash soup were good, but the burgers are phenomenal. I asked for the burger medium-rare and I ACTUALLY GOT a medium-rare burger. The pretzel bun, the arugula, the fries--were just the perfect balance of "extras" and burgers. Too often I find all the "additives" put on burgers force you to lose the actual taste of the burger, but this place knows exactly how much to put on the burger. The presumed owner/server was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. I would easily go back for another burger tomorrow.I would recommend this to a friend.
- As a foodie, i wasn't verySkipsDined on 11/9/2013As a foodie, i wasn't very impressed. The food was good, but i wouldn't rush back. Our steaks were good but I could definately get this quality of beef at home and make it. It was good, but no WOW factor.Special Features:
- A little piece of Greenwich VillageOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2013Grass Fed was adorable and the food was well executed! We felt like we were in Greenwich Village by the classic charm and look of this restaurant. The service was outstanding, the food was delicious and we will be returning! We wish we had a Grass Fed near Old Town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was decent, but theWolfDined on 10/18/2013The food was decent, but the restaurant was overpriced for the level of service provided
- Delicious!DanaDined on 10/12/2013This was our second trip to Grass Fed. My boyfriend and I really enjoyed our steak, but I only wish they still had those gnocchi on the menu! They were amazing. I ordered the strip which came on green beans and pearl onions -- it was good, but I needed some kind of starch with it.Special Features:
- Yum!LauraDined on 10/12/2013We really enjoyed Grass Fed. We took our two teenage boys who also enjoyed. The decor is nice-love the chandeliers and the emphasis of white everywhere. Our server was great, cocktails were yummy and the menu is well balanced. Everything was very good-we had the burger, steak and several salads. The garden salad was delicious also! We will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Bad ServicebekasualDined on 10/12/2013Had a wonderful meal with friends. We liked the limited choices on the menu as the food was executed perfectly. The drinks were amazing and great play on classics. I loved the Frisky Sour. I do not typically enjoy a sirloin as they tend to be lean, but tasted the difference at Grass Fed. My wife's chicken thighs over grits was delicious. Trying to enjoy the last few days of good weather we sat outside. Not sure why but we had horrible service. The server was nice, but it took way to long to get a 2nd beer (bottled) and he was very un-attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple but consistently goodChicagofrequentguestVIPDined on 9/19/2013The food here is simple but consistently good, Service is always friendly and attentive. The menu is small and as you might expect focused on local meats and fresh produce. I do wish more people would try this place as it is a charming local place with great burgers and steaks and a warm friendly atmosphere. Cocktails are very good but warning, they are also pretty potent!Special Features:
- Simple and Delicious!KDB37VIPDined on 9/7/2013My husband and I have been to Grass Fed several times for dinner and brunch. We have never had a bad meal! The menu may be simple with a limited number of items, but everything is delicious! And they do have something for everyone! We recently had the Beef Tenderloin special and it was by far the best I've ever had! So tender and full of flavor! Grass Fed is the only way to go! They have fantastic creative cocktails and though the wine menu is strictly California, it pairs quite well with all of the dishes on their menu. A quaint atmosphere for a romantic date while a fun time to be had for brunch with a bunch of friends! Definitely check out Grass Fed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!DBS3VIPDined on 9/7/2013Had been wanting to try this restaurant for a while, as we are big fans of Grass Fed animals (Real food). Finally had the chance but had been a tad nervous since they had just apparently changed chefs. There was no reason though to worry, the food was quite good and the chef is planning on continuing in the vein of seasonable, local, real food which is better for all. We all had something different: grass fed steak, wild trout, grass fed burger. Everyone really enjoyed their meal. Their french fries were Awesome and they had a bizarre "Quinoa fries" appetizer which was surprisingly quite tasty. Their drinks were great. The restaurant is very laid-back with a Shabby Chic decor. Service was a tad slow but we were not in a hurry.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/6/2013I think the biggest issue that I had with this restaurant was the fact that the ventilation is so poor that the smell and smoke come pouring into the restaurant. I couldn't really enjoy my meal or the experience because my eyes were burning from the smoke, and I just felt greesey and gorse once we left. It is a shame because the restaurant is beautiful. The mussels were flavourless. The broth was bland. The chicken thies were fatty and tasted like old chicken reheated. The grits were instant. You would be better with mashed potatoes than instant grits. My husband had the burger and fries. The fries were bland, and the burger was just ok.Special Features:
- I like the menu. Simple butConradDined on 9/4/2013I like the menu. Simple but adequate. The quality of the food was pretty good. We ordered a few steaks and they we done as well as you would do at home on the grill. The outside patio needs a little help and we went there because it was fairly loud inside.
- Changes, changesReeseVIPDined on 8/31/2013New chef, new menu items and some changes are good, some not. The decadent butterscotch pudding is now topped with vanilla ice cream instead of the salted caramel delight from before. The scrumptious gnocchi that accompanied the strip steak is now gone as well, the way of the infused liquors. Good but different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSteakgirlDined on 8/30/2013I was really excited to try this place and was slightly disappointed. It was in a really small space. I ordered the "special" filet medium rare and it came out rare so I had to send it back. It came back and it still wasn't cooked enough but I was so hungry I just ate it. It cost $40.00 and I thought that was very expensive for the quality of meat I was served. I LOVED the heirloom tomato salad though and would probably go back for that and a hamburger. The carrot cake dessert was disappointing too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would do better without thatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2013Would do better without that type of music. Will come back, but will enjoy it even better without this "out-of-place" background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very average dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/17/2013My husband and I had dinner out on the patio on a Saturday night. The patio was a lovely space and the service was good, but the food was very average. We had the tomato salad and then steaks. The tomato salad was actually quite nice, but the steaks were just ok. I think I cook better steak in my home.
- Some things were very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2013I love the concept more than the food. Put veggies were awesome but he steaks were tasteless. May give it another try for brunchSpecial Features:
- Good but depends on night's menuAppleDave82Dined on 8/16/2013The flatbread was great, and the rest of the meal was good, but I don't think it quite measured up to the price point. Also, waiter explained to a different table that the menu would be changing very frequently (possibly nightly), and what you have one time may not be there the next time. I might also be disappointed because the steak preparation (w/ gnocchi and chimichurri)/dessert ((pecan pie bread pudding)I wanted from the website weren't available that night. Womp womp...
- The staff was nice and theajlundVIPDined on 8/2/2013The staff was nice and the cocktail menu looked good but unfortuantely that was about it. I could make a better burger at home and the menu was just, eh. The table was filty too and even my glasses were foggy and unappetizing. Too bad because it looked like a cute spot with a good mission. Not worth it at all.
- much prettier than photo.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2013much prettier than photo. Nice little patio out back. Outstanding and friendly service.Special Features:
- The place is okay.JAMIEVIPDined on 7/26/2013The restaurant was very clean and I liked the decor. The food was good - but not great - very limited menu. The service was fair to poor - our server seemed to be annoyed to be working that night. I am glad we tried somewhere new, however do not plan on being back.
- Steak and cocktailsbayamusVIPDined on 7/13/2013The food at Grass Fed is really good. They do steak very well and the burger is one of my favorites in Chicago. What I love the most about this place though is the bar service. Their bottled cocktails are the best in the area and the infused liquors are all interesting. I recommend ordering a Sazerac with their orange Rye. The Jalapeño Tequila has great bite as well.Special Features:
- The food is FAB!ReeseVIPDined on 6/11/2013Everything about our experience, from the prompt greeting to the outdoor patio seating in back was the best and the food was even better. It was so good in fact that I have only one small complaint: the chairs are hard and very uncomfortable. C'mon guys! Spring for some chair pads for the iron furniture on the patio. You got everything else perfectly right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the burgerQtipDined on 6/6/2013If you are disappointed by all these new burger places... Try Grass Fed's burger, it was actually worth it, something special Beer list could be improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ran out of pretzel buns??foodieDined on 6/3/2013On the evening that we visited, not only had the restaurant been out of pretzel buns since that morning but they had also run out of ketchup. It probably only takes a couple of hours to make pretzel buns. The restaurant should not have let a whole day pass w/o baking a batch. Although the meat tasted great, our burgers were instead served on a ciabatta bread. Yes, a ciabatta bread! If you don't know what type of bread this is, it has a hard shell and one that you'd normally use for paninis. Imagine trying to bite into that! This is unheard of, especially if you're advertising your burgers as one of the best in the city. Wait service was great, the 2-star for service is for management for letting the restaurant run out of basic food items.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingPRudnickVIPDined on 5/25/2013I was so surprised by Grass Fed! The food was outstanding and the service is what really made the whole experience just so special. I loved the biscuits, the great wine selection and the options for meat and vegetarians alike. I saw the brunch menu and can't wait to go back to try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience but over-salted foodMelMarDined on 5/25/2013Went with the family on Saturday night. We started with the biscuits, which were good but would have been better warm. The chopped salad was great, with a really delicious ranch dressing. Be warned, however, that it is a very large portion for a starter! The eggplant appetizer with cumin cheese was unique and delightfully not greasy. Entrees were a little too heavy as salty. The steak with gnocchi had some very light gnocchi but unfortunately was sitting in a bath of oil, and the roast chicken was similarly over-enriched. We didn't have room for dessert. I'll go back for salads or drinks because I love the atmosphere, but probably not for entrees until they back off on the salt and sauce.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!HIFromChicagoDined on 5/24/2013If you haven't been here yet, you are missing out. The food is absolutely amazing. This is one of the best kept secrets in Chicago. Everything our great waiter recommended was perfect, definitely go for the Caramelized Onion and Buttermilk Biscuits appetizers or Crispy Duck Confit and get the Grilled Grass Fed NY Strip Steak with fresh made gnocchi. Don't skip out on dessert either the Butterscotch Pudding is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/11/2013This was my second time dining at Grass Fed and it was even better this time. I loved the lunch (1st outing) but I was more concerned with the decor of the space (thus not focusing on the food as much...big mistake). I wanted my husband to see it, so I booked dinner. We barely noticed the room. The space magically became more intimate in the evening hours, the service amazing and the food...wow. If I could have ordered four entrees I would have! The whole simple concept of using locally owned products (meat, veggies, etc) shines brightly here. The interesting combination of ingredients is insightful (roasted chicken with bratwurst) and so delicious. Seriously, how can a cheeseburger be that good?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boring and over priceddontgohereVIPDined on 4/29/2013I really wanted to like this place since it's two blocks from my home but I just can't. The menu is annoying - really they should let you choose a protein and a side but instead they give you fries as a side and force an upcharge of $5 for anything else, which is basically the price for the side in the first place. Not a good deal and not customer friendly. The fish option recently was not fish - it was shellfish, which isn't an option for fish eaters sometimes. Food was decent but pretty boring, and when the tab for two with one glass of wine comes to over $90 with tax and tip then something is wrong.
- I'm a vegetarian and I wentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2013I'm a vegetarian and I went with two friends who ate meat - I had a fantastic meal - was not a problem at all that i didn't eat meat and my friend who does eat steak loved the grass fed steak and she has previously never liked grass fed meat. Was a great meal for us all!!Special Features:
- Loved their homemade infusedOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/20/2013Loved their homemade infused liquors- especially the Basil one. Incredible.Special Features:
- I love French entrecôte anduppercase360VIPDined on 3/18/2013I love French entrecôte and thought Grass Fed may bring a new take on it; unfortunately, the approach Grass Fed took was not very good. My entire experience was underwhelming: the restaurant was empty, the service was slow, and the food was bland. The reviews you read, which paint a bleak picture, are generally true. I would not visit again.